Multiple player races -- confirmed!

#1 Edited by Yummylee (22039 posts) -

Well gosh.

Now of course that doesn't instantly qualify as a great Dragon Age game, but it's enough to give me a little extra optimism towards Inquisition.

I wonder then if your character will be silent, or if they'll go down the Saints Row path of having multiple voice actors for the same character. Though Dragon Age games naturally feature a significant amount of more dialogue, so while it'd be impressive if that where to be the case, I couldn't realistically see them giving a different voice actor per race, not to mention gender.

Though they haven't even confirmed just what races are available. If it were to be a stock selection of, say, a human male, dwarf male, and elf female or something, then... maybe.

I think I'd be OK with a silent protagonist in any case, if only because it's for the sake of allowing you more customisation for your player character.

EDIT: Well, according to this Forbes preview, your character will still be voiced. Guess it isn't too much of a stretch that you'll have one male voice and one female across all races, though. Anywhoo there's a healthy summary of new details in there, so it's worth a read.

#2 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Have they confirmed that it wont be shite?

Nah, I honestly really hope it's not and this does seem like a step (back) in the right direction. Either way, I will be compelled to play it since it's somewhat, vaguely, almost associated with Baldur's Gate.

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2185 posts) -

That is certainly good news. If the world reacts to your race in a meaningful way it'll be even better.

#4 Posted by Largo6661 (336 posts) -

I would rather have a silent character if it meant I could play as different races.

#5 Posted by ahgunsillyo (456 posts) -

I'm interested to see how they pull off the voices with the multiple races. I'm not typically a fan of silent protagonists, even if they're given responses in text form; it tends to make them a little more detached and less believable in their world, at least to me. I'd certainly like to have a choice of voices like they do in Saints Row, but you're right that the sheer amount of dialogue that would have be recorded is kind of a limiting factor on that end. We'll see how it goes, I guess. I'm excited for Inquisition.

#6 Edited by Demyx (3237 posts) -

That makes me feel a little less skeptical for the game.

#7 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

They seem to be doing and saying the right things but they'll need to do more to earn my trust back after Dragon Age 2. That game broke my goddamn heart.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

I really did like DA2 but this was not the big problem it had.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Didn't they say a while back that the player would be limited to a human? If so, good on them for changing their minds. It at least provides a glimmer of hope. Hope that could be easily trampled in the dirt by any number of other things they could screw up, but hope.

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The stuff that was written in the new Gameinformer issue sounds really good. After he disaster that was DA2 I am kind of optimistic. Also they had some changes on the writing staff so this will be even more interested.

I can not believe I am saying that but I am getting excited for DA3^^

#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11904 posts) -
@animasta said:

I really did like DA2 but this was not the big problem it had.

Agreed. Hawke was the least of DA2's problems, but I do think this is a step in the right direction. Now they need to go one step further and remove the protagonist's voice... but let's be honest, that's not going to happen.

Really, as long as they make a game better than Dragon Age II (a game I will defend to a pretty ridiculous extent) I will be on board.

#12 Posted by N7 (3594 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Didn't they say a while back that the player would be limited to a human? If so, good on them for changing their minds. It at least provides a glimmer of hope. Hope that could be easily trampled in the dirt by any number of other things they could screw up, but hope.

Say what you want about them, they are badass about listening to feedback. Just look at the DLC for DAII. That shit was stacked and felt like they ripped it straight out of Origins. For them to be very adamant about the race of the player character, and then change it around like this, it seems like they want to make sure DAII never happens again.

#13 Posted by The_Ruiner (1077 posts) -

From what I've seen in the Game Informer coverage, they seem to be chasing the Skyrim formula pretty hard..which i'm totally fine with.

#14 Posted by BaconGames (3482 posts) -

I really need a dedicated "defend Dragon Age 2" button on my keyboard because actually writing my responses at every opportunity would be exhausting. Still, I feel the need to say something every time I see it get trashed on. I recognize that it certainly disappointed a lot of people but amidst all the dissenting opinions I do want to at least be the one to say I did really really like Dragon Age 2 in spite of its empty feeling world and unfortunate 3rd act character and plot stuff.

I also agree that the character creation wasn't at all what made Dragon Age 2 flawed. In fact, their choice to go with a dedicated voiced character that interacted incredibly well with some amazing character is the main thing I love about DA2. With that said, Origins had some of the best dialogue choices that made up for the lack of voice in spades. Still, the dialogue was still great in DA2 and coupled with an enjoyable female Hawke I thought that game's character resonated way more. Kinda wish I could play a game with Hawke and keep the story going but this is really me wishing it was the same story and characters but unrelated to Dragon Age and spun off into it's own thing.

Ultimately though if the quality of writing is still there, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then that's all I care about and that's why I play their games so sure, sign me up. In spite of all the plot weirdness BioWare can sometimes get themselves into, they're some of the best character crafters and world builders in games so I'll play DA3 barring something completely heinous.

Are there any other game trilogies with one plot throughline where you play a completely new, unconnected protagonist each time? For some reason the thought of starting with a new protagonist in the last game of the trilogy seems weird.

#15 Posted by Humanity (9579 posts) -

From what I've seen in the Game Informer coverage, they seem to be chasing the Skyrim formula pretty hard..which i'm totally fine with.

As long as they're not chasing the Skyrim writing and plot then were safe. Worlds Bethesda can build, but write meaningful characters and an interesting, engaging story not so much.

#16 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Confused by them trying to combine the combat of Origins and 2 - they had basically the same combat model, just 2 had more fancy animations to make the action feel less static.

#17 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11275 posts) -

They CAN'T put out a big budget story focused game in the modern age without having the playable character speak. That's insane!

Edit: See! I told you! (I should really read whole posts before commenting more often.)

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8370 posts) -

Cool, I guess, but it's gonna be hard for them to have the MC be fully voiced as well without any compromises. Here's hopin'.

#19 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Get female hawke's voice back in there. Sultry as hell.

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6671 posts) -

I read the thread title as "Multiplayer races confirmed", and briefly thought they were taking Dragon Age in some crazy directions.

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

@yummylee:

This is news and all but it seems so minor to me. I mean, DA2 had bigger problems then the fact that players couldn't pick their main character's race.

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11904 posts) -

I read the thread title as "Multiplayer races confirmed", and briefly thought they were taking Dragon Age in some crazy directions.

Oh, that will probably happen too.

#23 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

Awesome news. I want to play as an Elf again. I also hope my female Grey Warden Elf from Dragon Age Origins comes back for DA3.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (10067 posts) -

@yummylee: The different voice actors only matter depending on where your character comes from. Dwarven voices and human voices and elf voices are the same in tone, it's just where they come from that gives them different accents. If they gave you a choice between British, American and French accents to correspond to being from Ferelden or Orzammar or Orlais could be cool.

@bisonhero said:

Oh, that will probably happen too.

I wonder if you could do a fun multiplayer thing in Dragon Age. I'm sure it would just be ME3-style wave survival, but the idea of having lightly randomized dungeons to go through with a group could be pretty interesting. Dungeons/instances were always my favorite part of MMOs, so having those in a Dragon Age game could actually be awesome.

Are there any other game trilogies with one plot throughline where you play a completely new, unconnected protagonist each time? For some reason the thought of starting with a new protagonist in the last game of the trilogy seems weird.

It's actually one of the things I like most about how they're handling Dragon Age games. The thing you're carrying over is not your character, it is your version of Thedas. Thedas the setting is the most important asset in the DA series, not the Warden or Hawke or the leader of the Inquisition.

Also, a big thing they're trying to lean on is the social-trend view of history as opposed to the great-men view of history... which means an ongoing series where a single Grey Warden from Ferelden is the world's singular force for change would contradict their own intentions. Of course, applying the social-trend view of history also means that things will change even if your main character does everything possible to stop it, and people don't like when things are outside of their control.

#25 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Also, a big thing they're trying to lean on is the social-trend view of history as opposed to the great-men view of history... which means an ongoing series where a single Grey Warden from Ferelden is the world's singular force for change would contradict their own intentions. Of course, applying the social-trend view of history also means that things will change even if your main character does everything possible to stop it, and people don't like when things are outside of their control.

I don't know. If the backlash against Dragon Age II wasn't as bad as it was, I kind of suspect that Bioware would have gone ahead and made Hawke the player character in Inquisition. One of the worst things about that game as far as I saw it was that it felt very much like they were taking a series with an established identity and trying to Mass Effect the hell out of it.

#26 Posted by Itwastuesday (972 posts) -

this is good news

#27 Edited by Encephalon (1282 posts) -

@brodehouse: that's an interesting idea. I never really saw Dragon Age as having that view of history. The Warden's story is sort of the definition of the great-man view, though I agree the sequel definitely tried to cast its plot developments as a culmination of factors outside of any one person's control. In theory I like the idea of a random act of thievery leading to a Qunari attack, leading to a power vacuum in Kirkwall, leading to a tyrant seizing said power, leading to a revolutionary backlash that sparks a holy war. We may differ on the merits of its execution, though.

Anyway, my point is the DA franchise has oscillated between multiple different views of history. I guess we'll have to wait for Inquisition to see where that one fits in, but given what we know so far, I suspect it'll be more like Origins in that regard.

#28 Edited by Chop (1999 posts) -

Good, I guess? Your race choice had next to no impact in Origins, so yeah, I don't really see this being a big deal. Gonna be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about them trying to appease fans of the first game to this extent. Morrigan, this stuff now...I just don't know.

#29 Posted by AndrewB (7665 posts) -
@yummylee said:

EDIT: Well, according to this Forbes preview, your character will still be voiced. Guess it isn't too much of a stretch that you'll have one male voice and one female across all races, though. Anywhoo there's a healthy summary of new details in there, so it's worth a read.

I really do wish they'd rip that from Saints Row. I know it's expensive to have multiple actors read lines, but it's EA, and it's an integral part of the immersion. I'm sure they won't... it will likely be the most generic male/female voice they can manage to apply to all races. I'm not unhappy with the voiced protagonist thing, though, because it was one of the better aspects of the otherwise deeply flawed Dragon Age 2. Also, if it's going to be one voice for all, please make it Troy Baker/ Jennifer Hale!

@chop said:

Good, I guess? Your race choice had next to no impact in Origins, so yeah, I don't really see this being a big deal. Gonna be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about them trying to appease fans of the first game to this extent. Morrigan, this stuff now...I just don't know.

I have no idea what game you played, but it wasn't Dragon Age: Origins.

#30 Edited by HH (611 posts) -

great news for the rpg, if it means more voice work for the developers then so be it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.