Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

PSN Down, can't patch. Wait or play now?

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By r3beld0gg

I started 12 days of vacation yesterday and picked up DA:I figuring this will be the best time to play a long, deep game like this. Unfortunately, PSN has been down all day today (Dec 25) and I didn't think to install/patch the game yesterday.

I actually have two questions for people who have played. First, I know there were some nasty issues with characters getting screwed up that have been patched (PS4). Should I wait for PSN to come back up or am I safe starting the game and patching later? Like, if my character suddenly ages or changes voice (as I've heard happens) will the patch correct this after it's happened? I've been bummed all day because I'm kinda tired of Forza and want to get into this game. But I don't want to get ten hours into the game and have to restart due to a glitch.

Question two is, I found out the Playstation Store has the deluxe version of the game for $45. I got the standard disc version for the same price. Not sure if it's worth returning the disc for, what? A couple of mounts and a throne, I think? Is any of the stuff in the deluxe version worth a drive to the store to return the game, plus several hours download?

Just as a side comment, it is total bullshit that it has become the norm that you need to download a patch day one on almost every game that comes out.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character issue is something that happens midway through the game, its not something you'll have to worry about for a bit and by then it'll be patched. Most of DAI's big issues don't begin until later in the game, all the Haven stuff ran fine iirc

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You should wait. I only say this because apparently with the 2.0 firmware it causes dragon age to corrupt save files. There were multiple ps4 reviews that mentioned this. A launch day patch fixed this but without the patch there is a chance you could get a corrupted save.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: Thanks. Like, midway through that post I think I decided to chance it. I'll probably spend forever just screwing with the character creator. Hopefully, PSN will be back up tomorrow.

Still have the plastic on the case, though. I'm thinking the deluxe version is probably not worth the trouble of returning the game and downloading it, especially if PSN won't be up tonight. Guess I just wanted to see if someone would suggest otherwise.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: My understanding was that this was corrected with another PS4 system update (2.0.2). I guess I'll do some reading on that before I start up. I still haven't finished Far Cry 4, I really should do that before starting this anyway.

But honestly, I'm kinda interested to play with the character creator and maybe check out the first bit of the game. Never played a DA game before (well, less than an hour of Origins on PC) and am kinda curious to just see it.

My main hold up was the deluxe stuff, whether I would regret not getting that version.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@r3beld0gg: It was corrected by the day one patch for dragon age.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos If we're talking about the same thing, the issue stemmed from the 2.0 update for the PS4 and was fixed with the 2.02 update. I've read that from multiple sources.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-patch-that-fixes-major-dragon-age-inquisition-/1100-6423509/

At this point, I'll wait at least until tomorrow. Far Cry 4 just isn't doing it for me anymore, even though I'm only half way or less through. I'll need to get on something else by tomorrow.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

I was able to update the game fine today. I don't think the update aspect of psn was down.

Edit: wait, never mind. Game says its version 1.02. I guess I should wait until psn is up again before playing it. God damn kids and their computers

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By rethla

@r3beld0gg:

Deluxe edition bring in some minor comsetic stuff that im pretty sure you can do without. As an example you get an extra throne out of the 20 thrones already in the came witch is all useless. The weapons you get are badass looking but you get better ones like 3 hour into the game.

As for the bugs there is nothing major despite what the internet has been shouting out loud. Once in a while you get stuck in an conversation and has to either wait like 10min for it to move on or press the skip button twice wich makes you miss out on one line of dialogue wich aint a big deal in a game with 80000 lines of dialogue. The most notorius bug is that roughly 20-40 hours in you get to a specific point where the voice can be changed of your character. If that happens just revert to a save before that and do other stuff of wich there is alot to do until you can get the patch to fix it. Edit: if you use the default voice you need not vorry as this bug specificaly reverts your voice back to the default option.

Apart from that there is nothing major. The game can crash now and then but the autosaving is frequent so you wont loose any major progress and the crashes still will occur even with the most recent patch so no worries.

The thing i would be concerned with is that without online connection you cant import your descisions from DA 1 and 2 via Dragon age keep. If that doesnt bother you then just go ahead and play you will be fine.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

Okay, so psn seems to be working again, but when I check for updates for dragon age it still says version 1.02. So is that the current version, or is something still broken?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Okay, so psn seems to be working again, but when I check for updates for dragon age it still says version 1.02. So is that the current version, or is something still broken?

Version 1.02 is the current version.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: yeah, I realized after installing the game that the patch downloaded fine even though PSN was down.

tavares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just downloaded the deluxe edition from psn, but the game doesn't start. whenever i try to play it says there was an error. anyone else had the same problem? is there an update coming to fix this?

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tavares: Depends on the error. Just a guess, but it could be connectivity issue. DA tries to connect to servers at launch. I didn't have any issues when I started the game, and I started before PSN was back up, but I remember having that trouble with Far Cry 4. You have to disconnect from the internet, then start the game. You can reconnect after if you want.

Other options include a hard reset of the console (don't go to sleep, full power down like you're going to unplug it) and redownloading the game. Something may have become corrupted.

Last thing, and I don't think this would work... go to "restore licenses" under your PS4 settings. This is an issue I have with DLC every now and then, where I've downloaded it but the game doesn't recognize that. Just hit restore licenses and it fixes it. That won't fix your problem, but I'd at least try it before redownloading the thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.