Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Should I pre-order this game?

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey folks.

Dragon Age, despite mis-steps in the sequel is still a game series good enough I feel willing to buy it at day one. I saw that there was an "Ultimate Edition" coming out with a variety of DLC and the like with it, I don't pre-order much so I'm just wondering if there's any important factors or other 'packs' out there that might be worth pre-ordering. Different retailers sometimes do different offers on it so I'm being cautious about this plus I might be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

Should I pre-order it and if so, what are my options really or things to look out for?

I'm based in the UK so tips regarding retailers there or online would be appreciated.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pierre42 said:
    Should I pre-ord

Nah.

Unless you really care a lot about the pre-order bonuses and you're confident the game will be great, there is little reason for you to support the institution of pre-ordering games. It sounds like you're cautious; so, as a general rule, I'd recommend holding off on pre-ordering it.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I would wait for some reviews incase it turns into DA2.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

After the shit heap that was DA:2 I will never pre-order an EA game ever again.

I don't care what bullshit pre-order items or DLC or whatever they add. That game stole $60 from me and then shit all over my computer with its terribleness. I'll consider picking up this game after reviews are out and even then maybe I'll just wait until the inevitable GOTY edition that includes all the DLC.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only pre-order bonus is the "flames of the inquisition pack", which is presumably some in game items. If you already know you're getting the game day 1 there's no harm in pre-ordering, but in terms of benefit there isn't really any. I've always found those pre-order item packs are too powerful and mess with the early game balance in RPGs, so even when I pre-order I tend to just ignore the bonus items.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nah.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By MetalBaofu

I already have from Amazon. I pre-ordered it because there is a 0% chance that I wouldn't buy it, and I've been paying it off with gift cards so it won't be a full price charge all at once. Plus, I like the release day delivery.

I'm one of those people that enjoyed Dragon Age 2, though. I would say I didn't like it as much as Origins, but I think it is far from the pile of shit that a lot of people think it was.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

As the one guy that loves Dragon Age 2 (with reservations) I will be doing so. But I love Dragon Age 2 (with reservations). I'm not a reliable guy in this situation.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only pre-order games I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I want.

If that is you about this game then go for it.

I am not in the UK so I can't speak to your other questions.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you shouldn't pre-order anything (especially games for which you are on the fence). It's not like it's going to be in short supply during launch week. Just wait for legit opinions on it before jumping in.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'll pre-order on PSN so I can pre-load it about the only reason to but hell if you can get extra shit and pre-load it why not right?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pre-order on PSN so I can pre-load it about the only reason to but hell if you can get extra shit and pre-load it why not right?

Yeah, I can somewhat understand the extreme aversion many people have to pre-orders as a concept, and I have my own issues with the so called "pre-order culture" as well. However, it seems a little silly that on the one hand we have all these people saying reviews don't matter any more, metacritic is harmful to the industry, and people should be forming their own opinions, but then turning around and saying don't ever pre-order a game but instead wait for reviews, even if you're already decided on a day 1 purchase and it's more convenient to pre-order for one reason or another.

I'm all for calling publishers on their bullshit and not letting pre-order and retailer bonuses dictate our purchasing habits, but don't tell me I'm committing some moral offense if I prefer the convenience of pre-loading or having a day 1 amazon delivery of a game I already know I'm going to buy.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dagas

I will pre-order to get the bonuses but I will do so a few days before release.

This game have been in development for more than twice as long as DA2 so I would not worry. And I think DA2 was still a great game even if it was not living up to the first game. If Origins was 10/10 then DA2 was 8/10 for me. I am guessing this one wil be in between. A 9/10. They have learned their lessons but don't expect it to be Origins because it won't. It will take inspiration from both Origins and DA2.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't believe there's any significant preorder bonuses. According to this it's just some free in game weapons and armor. Kind of pleased about this, considering the last few Bioware games locked party members behind a preorder gate.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm thanks for all the opinions guys. I reviewed the DLC that was available with the 'deluxe' edition and it does seem excessively superficial (mounts, a throne presumably for a house, weapons) so I think I can probably go without any of those actual pre-order bonuses. I was hoping it'd be some story DLC as Origins had some really solid DLC adventures but I suppose I can wait and see what actually comes out (and what the game is like) before deciding whether or not to buy it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it early because the 20% off coupon I used was gonna run out before launch. Which is the only reason I ever preorder.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rayeth: I'm gonna go ahead and say it: If Dragon Age 2 is the worst game you ever preordered, you got off lucky, friend.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By schlorgan

I'm someone that wants to start playing day 1, so I have it preordered. I also feel okay okay paying $10 more for the Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin if only because it comes with the soundtrack, which I would pay up to $10 for anyway. Preorder bonuses don't sell a game to me, but it's a nice bonus for a game that I was planning on getting day 1 regardless.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't listen to haters. Screw pre order bonuses it is just a simple question. Are you interested enough in this game that to you, it is a must buy? If the answer to that question is yes then there is absolutely no reason to not pre order, assuming you aren't on hard times and can afford it.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never pre order anything

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never pre order anything

This. It might save you a LOT of disappointment.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never pre order anything

I preordered Bioshock Infinite and that was pretty rad. Haven't done it for any game since though (bought Last of Us day one without a preorder)

misquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's up to you, dude. I know I will, because I've seen enough of the game to know that I am going to love it (I'm the special kind of idiot who still really enjoyed DA2 and ME3, so I am easily pleased by Bioware games) but don't feel pressured to pre order if you're not sure. The bonus items look cool, but they're not make-or-break have to have items.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never pre order anything

Don't get this attitude at all. Are you telling me there has never been even 1 video game ever made that you couldn't look at and know you wanted it without having to wait for reviews?

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By subyman

@karkarov said:

@shortbreadtom said:

Never pre order anything

Don't get this attitude at all. Are you telling me there has never been even 1 video game ever made that you couldn't look at and know you wanted it without having to wait for reviews?

Why bother though? Preorders were originally intended for you to reserve a copy of a popular game because it will sell out on day one. That never happens now. No risk of not being able to get a copy, you can download all games now. Preorders have turned into pre-padding out the wallets of publishers in exchange for some crappy DLC. I always wait for reviews and typically watch some Twitch streams or the quicklook before buying. Plus I have such a huge backlog that 9 time out of 10 I just wait for a sale.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karkarov

@subyman said:

Why bother though? Preorders were originally intended for you to reserve a copy of a popular game because it will sell out on day one. That never happens now. No risk of not being able to get a copy, you can download all games now. Preorders have turned into pre-padding out the wallets of publishers in exchange for some crappy DLC. I always wait for reviews and typically watch some Twitch streams or the quicklook before buying. Plus I have such a huge backlog that 9 time out of 10 I just wait for a sale.

Again, what does pre orders bonuses have to do with it? I could care less what preorder bonuses there are. If I KNOW I want a game there is no reason not to preorder. It isn't gonna cost less cause I bought it on day one but didn't pre order, it isn't going to be any harder or easier to get with or without the preorder. Since there is no real reason not to short of "I am not sure I want the game" then there is no reason not to do it if I know I do want it. Case in point, Witcher 3. Preordered the first day it was available. Why? Because I know I want it so why not?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EthanielRain

If you're buying it anyway you might as well get the extra loot. I pre-ordered it off PSN so I can download it in advance, that's worked just fine before...don't know about retail stores.

@thebluthcompany said:

As the one guy that loves Dragon Age 2 (with reservations) I will be doing so. But I love Dragon Age 2 (with reservations). I'm not a reliable guy in this situation.

It's my favorite game from last generation <3

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@subyman said:

Again, what does pre orders bonuses have to do with it? I could care less what preorder bonuses there are. If I KNOW I want a game there is no reason not to preorder. It isn't gonna cost less cause I bought it on day one but didn't pre order, it isn't going to be any harder or easier to get with or without the preorder. Since there is no real reason not to short of "I am not sure I want the game" then there is no reason not to do it if I know I do want it. Case in point, Witcher 3. Preordered the first day it was available. Why? Because I know I want it so why not?

Yes technically there is no harm for you directly, the game is fine and you wanted it anway. But feeding the pre-order culture in general is a bad thing. Continuing to allow it as a norm opens the gates for publishers to exploit people. For every "sure thing" there is about a dozen middling/bad games that rely on pre-orders to goose their sales up ahead of the review/word of mouth cycle. Look at Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs and Gears Judgement for a couple of examples.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

Looked at the pre order dlc and it's not worth the trouble. Seriously, weapon packs for single player games are terrible. They often break the balance of the game or are just useless. Preordering to get more story, bonus missions or multiplayer weapons would be fine if you're already buying but weapon packs just hurt the game or don't add anything at all in the best case scenario.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the point. It's not like scarcity on launch day is much of a problem anymore.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By subyman

@karkarov said:

@subyman said:

Think about it. Do you pay for next week's bread right now, because you know you will want it? How about prepaying for next year's gas? Certainly that sounds strange, which is why preordering a game is weird too. They are making interest off your money for the 4-6 months that it sits at amazon/gamestop/etc.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By mike

I don't preorder games. I want to wait for opinions on the game from people I trust (like the Giant Bomb crew and others) and I don't want to support shitty practices like day-one DLC and retailer-specific bonuses. Since I buy all games almost exclusively digitally on Steam, I also don't want to get stuck with with a disappointing turd all because I wanted to get some stupid preorder harpoon gun that was really just a skin or something like that.

Developers need to earn my money by making good games, not by locking content behind some artificial preorder wall while also prohibiting reviews until the game's release date and expecting me to hand over $60 weeks or months in advance. Likewise, I never decide in advance that I'm going to "buy a game day one no matter what". You want me to buy a game on day one? Then allow journalists to publish reviews & game footage a week before the release date, and I may consider it. Let's not forget the risk of games these days being straight up broken for days or weeks after launch - remember Betafield 4?

I feel the same way about preordering pretty much no matter what. Even if there is a 15% discount or something like that, all you're doing is moving your risk from possibly buying a $60 turd to buying a $50 turd. I'll still wait.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why the idea of pre-ordering is so weird to some people. I'm going to buy the game either way, so I'm going to pre-order on Amazon. I get it delivered to my house on day one, and I can slowly pay it off over however many months. I currently only owe 28 more dollars on it. I'd much rather do that than have to ride to a store when it comes out and pay the full price all at once, or order off of Amazon after it's release, not get it on day one, and pay the full price.

I'm about a 30 minute drive to the nearest store that sells games too, so that's probably a factor in my decision.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say yes, just because I like DA games, both of them thank you very much, but hey man its up to you. If you want to play it no matter what then go for it

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nictel

Part of me says yes because I really like DA. The other part of me says no because the recent trackrecord of EA hasn't been great. The game could come out and be one tiny city with 8 quests which to complete all you need a group of people to be always online. Moreover, I haven't seen any pre-order deals at all.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

@subyman said:

@karkarov said:

@subyman said:

Think about it. Do you pay for next week's bread right now, because you know you will want it? How about prepaying for next year's gas? Certainly that sounds strange, which is why preordering a game is weird too. They are making interest off your money for the 4-6 months that it sits at amazon/gamestop/etc.

Buying bread doesn't make sense as a good comparison, it's a highly perishable good, yet people do buy it for a day or a few ahead, in a week it will go bad. Gas is bulky to store (and more importantly to transport) in any significant enough quantity unless you have an empty garage and it smells, it's also a an extra effort to use personally stored gas compared to just going to a pump, finally guess what petrol is also a perishable product that expires, so you will only be able to store a limited amount; at best it's an inconvenient hassle that's not worth all the extra effort. People do sometimes buy ahead of time and store small amounts of petrol used for lawnmowers for example.

On the other hand. We buy winter clothes in summer or after winter is over because they know they are going to use them later, because there is an incentive of cheaper deals. If there is an incentive to buy a thing early that might not get used immediately, we do do it all the time, plane tickets, football game tickets, clothes, frozen pizza, frozen products in general, a lot of people shop certain items in bulk for future use like say toilet paper, before it finishes, so that you don't need to bother running to the store every time you need to buy a single roll, etc. The point is we pay for stuff ahead of time all the time in our daily lives if you actually think about it. It's not that weird.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karkarov

@tennmuerti said:

@subyman said:

Buying bread doesn't make sense as a good comparison, it's a highly perishable good, yet people do buy it for a day or a few ahead, in a week it will go bad. Gas is bulky to store (and more importantly to transport) in any significant enough quantity unless you have an empty garage and it smells, it's also a an extra effort to use personally stored gas compared to just going to a pump, finally guess what petrol is also a perishable product that expires, so you will only be able to store a limited amount; at best it's an inconvenient hassle that's not worth all the extra effort. People do sometimes buy ahead of time and store small amounts of petrol used for lawnmowers for example.

On the other hand. We buy winter clothes in summer or after winter is over because they know they are going to use them later, because there is an incentive of cheaper deals. If there is an incentive to buy a thing early that might not get used immediately, we do do it all the time, plane tickets, football game tickets, clothes, frozen pizza, frozen products in general, a lot of people shop certain items in bulk for future use like say toilet paper, so that you don't need to bother running to the store every time you need to buy a single roll, etc. The point is we pay for stuff ahead of time all the time in our daily lives if you actually think about it. It's not that weird.

Thanks Ten, not exactly how I would have replied but it works. Let me give you a better one Subyman. I pay for insurance. I pay LOTS for insurance. Insurance is something that unless you are unlucky you will never even use and I consider it a good year if I go all year and not use it at all. So am I stupid for having it?

Like I already said. If I KNOW I want a game, know I want it on day one, and know I can afford it there is no reason to not just preorder it and save myself the hassle of worrying about it on release day. To someone who has the money and can afford luxury items like video games whats the difference between paying today or paying in three months? Absolutely nothing, I will have the money either way all that changes is what day I paid on. If someone is strapped for cash and on a limited income I would advise them to not buy any video game on day one, pre order or otherwise, and wait for it to go on sale even if they consider it a must buy.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Rowr

Pre-ordering games is always a bad idea. Always.

Unless you are in some remote area where you expect their not to be enough copies and you absolutely need to play it day one there is no point in preordering games. Every time you preorder you kill puppies.

Well you at least become a part of a pointless initiative where the end result is shitty exclusive side content omitted from the game.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

@karkarov said:

@subyman said:

On the other hand. We buy winter clothes in summer or after winter is over because they know they are going to use them later, because there is an incentive of cheaper deals. If there is an incentive to buy a thing early that might not get used immediately, we do do it all the time, plane tickets, football game tickets, clothes, frozen pizza, frozen products in general, a lot of people shop certain items in bulk for future use like say toilet paper, before it finishes, so that you don't need to bother running to the store every time you need to buy a single roll, etc. The point is we pay for stuff ahead of time all the time in our daily lives if you actually think about it. It's not that weird.

I think we have a misunderstanding. I don't mean pay for the gas and take it, but not use it until next year. I don't mean pay for the bread, take it home, and use it next week. I mean pay for those goods ahead of time and then get them in-hand weeks or years down the line. Not buy bread and let it rot... You wouldn't pay for bread at the store and then pick it up next week.

The difference with all that stuff you listed is that we take those items home that day. Tickets are for services, so that's not quite what we are talking about. Preordering is more akin to lay-away, which is really used so poor people can pay off their purchases in installments before taking it home.

The two incentives I see with preordering are getting Amazon's day-of delivery so its at your door when you get home or the preorder bonuses. The convenience is the main factor these days through shipping.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tennmuerti

@subyman said:
    I think we have a misunderstanding. I don't mean pay for the gas and take it, but not use it until next year. I don't mean pay for the bread, take it home, and use it next week. I mean pay for those goods ahead of time and then get them in-hand weeks or years down the line. Not buy bread and let it rot... You wouldn't pay for bread at the store and then pick it up next week.

The difference with all that stuff you listed is that we take those items home that day. Tickets are for services, so that's not quite what we are talking about. Preordering is more akin to lay-away, which is really used so poor people can pay off their purchases in installments before taking it home.

The two incentives I see with preordering are getting Amazon's day-of delivery so its at your door when you get home or the preorder bonuses. The convenience is the main factor these days through shipping.

Sure you do. It's called a store specific card. Or a voucher. Same net effect. You are paying them money ahead of time without taking anything immediately.

Your bread only comparison is still flawed, it's always going to be in some way, as the product in question is very different. To pay for bread specifically and then pick it up later involves a physical inefficiency, there is an incentive not to do it, as that would create extra effort on the part of the person, instead of a benefit. And I mean of course some things don't make sense pre purchasing, there must be more benefit then penalty to do so, that's just common sense. Even if such a benefit is as tiny as a simple question of convenience: ah yea sure i'll pre order this game now so that it will pre load to be playable at hour 0. (if you are going to buy it anyway)

If you want a more immediate example we pay for food (like a bread sandwich) to be delivered to us at some time in the future, the difference is that that future point is more immediate, but in effects it's just a smaller time frame, you still pay money for a guarantee of something later, the food might not get delivered by accident, or it might taste bad. Plus people pay for a continuous supply of certain items online for example, you pay in bulk ahead of time, then stuff gets sent to you on a regular basis, you don't get most of (if any) of the goods initially.

If you want to call tickets services go ahead but that's going into semantics, which I will argue is pointless, you paid money for something to be available to you later, that's the point. Fuck, people pay my company money to incorporate and provide them with corporate documents which don't exist yet, we send them a physical complete package about a month down the line, of an item that does not exist yet when they pay. There are really countless examples, not just the stuff I mentioned, we as a society pay money for something from which we have no immediate effect or benefit on a constant basis, simply on a promise/guarantee that something will be given to us later.

Edit: PS: In fact the promise/guarantee of tangible goods somewhere down the line is very basis of our entire economic system. Without it even modern currency wouldn't exist.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure you do. It's called a store specific card. Or a voucher. Same net effect. You are paying them money ahead of time without taking anything immediately.

Your bread only comparison is still flawed, it's always going to be in some way, as the product in question is very different. To pay for bread specifically and then pick it up later involves a physical inefficiency, there is an incentive not to do it, as that would create extra effort on the part of the person, instead of a benefit. And I mean of course some things don't make sense pre purchasing, there must be more benefit then penalty to do so, that's just common sense. Even if such a benefit is as tiny as a simple question of convenience: ah yea sure i'll pre order this game now so that it will pre load to be playable at hour 0. (if you are going to buy it anyway)

If you want a more immediate example we pay for food (like a bread sandwich) to be delivered to us at some time in the future, the difference is that that future point is more immediate, but in effects it's just a smaller time frame, you still pay money for a guarantee of something later, the food might not get delivered by accident, or it might taste bad. Plus people pay for a continuous supply of certain items online for example, you pay in bulk ahead of time, then stuff gets sent to you on a regular basis, you don't get most of (if any) of the goods initially.

If you want to call tickets services go ahead but that's going into semantics, which I will argue is pointless, you paid money for something to be available to you later, that's the point. Fuck, people pay my company money to incorporate and provide them with corporate documents which don't exist yet, we send them a physical complete package about a month down the line, of an item that does not exist yet when they pay. There are really countless examples, not just the stuff I mentioned, we as a society pay money for something from which we have no immediate effect or benefit on a constant basis, simply on a promise/guarantee that something will be given to us later.

Edit: PS: In fact the promise/guarantee of tangible goods somewhere down the line is very basis of our entire economic system. Without it even modern currency wouldn't exist.

I think you are complicating the issue. The key here is the game being preordered will be widely available. Services such are tickets are limited or the gate cost is higher than prepurchasing. They are to insure you have your spot when you get there, but we've eliminated that already with games because they are widely available. Other services such as your business are custom tailored to the specific customer and must be prepaid to guarantee the work upfront by the merchant is not wasted if the customer decides not to pay. It certainly is not semantics.

Preorders happen two ways, digital or physical. The physical aspect syncs well with the bread example when buying at a B&M store. You physically go in, pay upfront, wait, and then go back to pick up the game. The other way is to go through an online retailer where the game could be delivered to your door on the day of release. This makes some amount of sense because it is very convenient, but you take the risk of it being a bum game.

Digital really boils down to saving 2 hours of download time by giving them your money months before launch.

If you take Digital and you take ordering online, then it is all about convenience. You are risking spending full price on a broken game to save 2 hours of download or a trip to the store. The worst part, unlike most other goods, is that you can't return it!

On top of paying upfront for the bread, getting it next week/month, and not knowing the quality of the bread is that if the bread arrives rotten, you can't return it. :)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

@subyman: Nothing really complicated here. It's all fairly simple actually. Plenty of items I've mentioned are widely available. Even movie tickets unless you are going to a packed venue on a busy day. My business is only tailored to a particular customer from time to time, most of the time we provide the exact same product, all that changes is a few names on the paperwork. Sandwiches and toilet paper are widely available too, as is bread in the shop, generally.

I said it's semantics because you have once again focused on details and minutia of a few of the examples, that can be argued forever as there are thousands and millions of different products goods and services that exist, they all have their own differences in approaches and uses, always will, it's not rocket science. The overall point that i've restated about three times now is the one that matters. That of our culture and way of life being competently steeped and surrounded with purchasing things ahead of time, almost everything is based on a promise/guarantee of delivery and a lot of it is not immediate, a lot of it is not a 100% sure bet to satisfy you to perfection. There is nothing weird about it overall, it might only seem so to you in this particular case (of games), on an individual level. But it does exist everywhere. Most business wouldn't work if it didn't.

As for digital preoders. Your internet may take 2 hours to download 20-40 gigs, for other people it can be a day or more. Servers might be busy on launch day with everyone downloading, etc. It's also exactly why the industry is pushing things like preorder bonuses. And why retailers like Steam usually have pre order discounts, or why Origin has a 24 hour return policy on it's games. For others the simple convenience of buying the game now and not thinking about it later could be enough.

The risk on a certain game might be significant enough for you. That's fine. Others make their own value judgements. In the eyes of a person who would buying the game anyway there is no risk, the money is simply used on a purpose they want, whether or not a game like DA3 is going to be awesome or shit might not even matter, or they simply have enough information from all the hours of seen footage to make a good enough estimation that works for them.

(unless you have some super awesome local sandwich shop, no one is going to refund you shit if you don't like how it tastes but it's ingredients aren't spoiled)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#43 fisk0  Moderator

If you have to ask, no.

Considering how DA2 turned out, I'd wait for reviews before picking up another Dragon Age game at launch.

But the only games I ever preorder are stuff by developers I really want to support or games in genres that haven't gotten enough love in recent decades (such as space sims, 6DOF games and RTSes).

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Don't pre-order games. Period.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do you like Pre-Ordering games? Then YES! Do you not like Pre-Ordering Games? Then NO!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.