Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a full retail expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins.

Good game, but extremely disappointed in some things (decisions).

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By AndrewB

I feel like the topic "a post Mass Effect 2 Bioware game" is very apt for this game. It seems like all the one-upping that Bioware has done over the years, trying to make each RPG they make better than the last, has finally caught up with them.

I'm going to get slightly spoiler-y here, so if you care about Awakening's story and haven't already played a good amount of it yet, please turn away now.

Okay. What sticks out immediately, and is perhaps the biggest waste of an opportunity that Awakening has to offer, lies in the fact that the characters you put through the joining has little to no impact on what happens. The worst part is that there's only one character that I know of that will die in the joining (Mhari, the first character you happen to meet). I actually sort of blame the gaming press for my opinion of this matter, as I was led to believe through very specific references that the decision (or non-decision, as you don't have a choice in the case of most of the characters) to put NPCs through the joining was a big part of the expansion pack, and that there would be severe consquences. Like I said, one character (that I know of) dies, and that isn't a choice.  

Considering that if you're playing the "evil" character (read: moron) who turns down the offer for NPCs to even join your party, they'll simply leave and you won't see them again, how they could just forego the option of them dying in the joining, and thus make the whole impact of the situation you're in meaningless, just plain sucks. I understand that having characters die can leave a significant hole in your party from a gameplay perspective, but believe me, they weren't scared of leaving you vulnerable in the original game. You could lose Wynne very easily, and turn down or have Morrigan leave your party at any moment, and you'd be entirely without a mage. Maybe they heard people's problems with that aspect and decided to change it, but I think it's a change for the worse. My big draw to Bioware's storytelling as of late has been to the idea that the choices you make throughout the game have a lasting and meaningful impact.

That said, there are definitely some later choices you'll make that will change the course of the late game drastically; though some of those seem a little too obvious, sort of like the decision in Mass Effect 2 (again, spoilers) to upgrade the armaments of your ship. If you don't do it, people will die. It's a little too binary of a decision that I think caters too much to the casual player who doesn't care one iota for the story. "Hey, you should upgrade these walls!" "No, I'm not going to." Gee, I wonder where that decision could lead? It allowed me to predict exactly how the ending to the game would play out, and I already knew I was choosing the right decision to stay and defend Amaranthine before it was even offered to me.

I just feel like for as many steps forward  Bioware has taken the RPG genre with its decision-based, dynamic storytelling, they haven't pushed the envelope far enough. I don't know if it's that they're catering to the more simplistic-minded game enthusiast crowd, or if they feel like it's just too difficult coding around the results of each decision, but in this case, I don't think it's the latter. Like I said, you already have the option of turning away certain party members. You may as well have the option of having them die permanently. The other option I see is that they just didn't have much time. After all, Awakening had a pretty quick turnaround in terms of development time to game content. But the end result is that the whole thing just feels a little sloppy, even overlooking the many technical issues I had with the title.

Before this comes off looking too negative, I  still greatly enjoyed the expansion pack (especially two fights in particular), and I still think Bioware makes the best role playing games in the industry, bar-none. My critical view only comes from the fact that they seem to be the company trying to push the envelope the most, and I've come to expect a lot from them.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Spoiler-y?...Sorry, still too much for me to delve any deeper into your post ;P lol 

I assume the jist is that Awakening has now highlighted at how dated Dragon Age is already becoming?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AndrewB
    @Abyssfull said:

" Spoiler-y?...Sorry, still too much for me to delve any deeper into your post ;P lol  I assume the jist is that Awakening has now highlighted at how dated Dragon Age is already becoming? "

Mostly in some decisions, and the overall rushed vibe I've felt from this and the Dragon Age DLC (read my abbreviated review of Return to Ostagar). I honestly don't know if it's just me being overly critical, or my sort of skewed view of a Bioware game ( I mean, I look back on the game I idolize most, Baldur's Gate 2, and realize how rushed and buggy its expansion pack felt). It's just my gut reaction. I'm definitely no game designer, as much as I'd love to have the ability.
    britg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By britg

Just finished the expansion, and I tend to agree with your points.  But, I don't attribute the less-of-a-step-forward feeling of this expansion to BioWare not pushing the envelope enough.  Dragon Age itself pushes the envelope so far, and this expansion is built upon that platform.  I think the feeling I'm getting is mostly due to technical/gameplay issues.  If BioWare had executed this exact game without the gameplay issues, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

For instance, I chose to do the Wending Wood last and hence got Velanna last.  As far as I could tell, there was no way for me to take Velanna through the Joining.  As soon as I got back to Vigil's Keep from the mines, Seneschal Varel would not take any more recruits through the joining.  The only dialogue option with him was to start the final battle.  From what I could tell of the ending, this affected Velanna's Epilogue (the fact that she didn't go through the Joining).

This is just one of about 20 major flaws in gameplay I experienced. 

I will iterate as you did that I thoroughly enjoyed this expansion and am being nit-picky.  It's a B+ in my book, and would have been an A+ but for the technical issues.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

The big bad thing for me was you can't talk to your party member like normal.
    thus making them not very deep

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    @trophyhunter said:

" The big bad thing for me was you can't talk to your party member like normal. thus making them not very deep "

I don't know about that. Each character has an item within the keep that you can click on and start a dialogue sequence with them (it's usually a one-off thing, but it's something). Instead of having to click on them again and again to figure out if they have something new to talk about, their new dialogue sequences start automatically when entering the keep. They also have a ton of banter between each other; much more per time spent in the game, it seems, than Origins had (though some of them come at inappropriate times, like just before you enter the fray with a group of enemies, and they're still all triggered very obviously by crossing certain spots on the map).  I didn't really have a problem with the characters themselves, and I thought all of them besides Velanna were interesting. Justice's situation was surprisingly well done; his epilogue even made me tear up.

My biggest beef with the expansion pack was definitely that bit about the joining. Next on the list would be the lack of many story loose end tie-ups from the original game. When I was finished with Origins, my first thought was "man, how are they going to account for all the different choices you can make in the next game?" and the answer to that question is apparently... they aren't. At least, not in the expansion pack. Maybe the actual sequel will do better, or whatever else they have planned for the series in early 2011, but then, the ending to Awakening seems to be written to end the story of this current character, with talks about events that take place even after the current age, and your character "disappearing" (presumably off to die fighting darkspawn, like every other Grey Warden).

My big, very specific beef with what my character experienced was with Alistair. In that character's ending, they had a tragic relationship where they got together, fought and sort of broke up when Alistair was made king, and then got back together in the end, where Alistair sacrificed himself to take out the Archdemon even though I tried to take the blow myself. After all of that, I got not a word of mention about Alistair in the expansion. No grieving time, no one asking me about him, nothing. And "queen" Anora, who betrayed us when she found out she wasn't going to be made queen and was supposedly locked away, is now suddenly queen, with only conjecture to figure out why and no asshole-ish dialogue to show that I'd be really pissed off.

It makes me realize that Bioware normally takes a long time to put out a game for a good reason, and when they're forced to be quick on the uptake in releasing either DLC or an expansion pack, they kind of balk. It's something that's existed even before they were under the foot of EA.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I meant only the new characters are okay. Oghren was probably my least favorite character from the original game. He's a one-dimensional joke character, and about the 20th allusion to him being a drunkard made me want to tear the digital bits off of my hard drive. It's really weird because he also has one of the more interesting sub-plots involving Branka in the original game, but beyond that, ugh...
    ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ajarbuckle

I know exactly what you mean. The thing that sort of wrecked part of the game for me was the fact that NPC interactions were so limited. Basically you can only talk to party members during the certain points of the story. It felt like the game was sent back a few years to be honest. I guess we will just have to wait for dragon age 2 before we are completely satisified like we were with the original.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

My only beef with the game was it's difficulty. Played on the same difficulty as Dragon Age: Origins, it was way too easy. 

They should have balanced it out a bit more.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By sixghost
    @ajarbuckle said:
    " I know exactly what you mean. The thing that sort of wrecked part of the game for me was the fact that NPC interactions were so limited. Basically you can only talk to party members during the certain points of the story. It felt like the game was sent back a few years to be honest. I guess we will just have to wait for dragon age 2 before we are completely satisified like we were with the original. "
    Wow really? That single handedly ruins the game for me. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ricetopher
    ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By ajarbuckle
    @extremeradical: That two, I was a sword wielding shield user, and my health never dipped below half. Go figure.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Alphiehyr

What disappoints me is the fact that it's expensive. The Awakening DLC.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Brake

Oh yeah, this game was way too easy on Normal. I had an imported level 21 mage from the DA:O and I had to change the difficulty to Hard midway through the first main plot mission. I was just tearing through dudes without any effort. By the end of the game I kinda wished that I had turned it all the way to Nightmare. I did still manage to have some fairly intense battles through the story.

One thing I really liked was that they close the book on your character at the end. This'll give them (and us) a clean slate for the next expansion. I mean it would've been fairly insane if I had gotten to import my now level 31 mage again.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By Atlas

I thought Awakening was absolutely fantastic, and integrated into the fiction of Dragon Age really well (if you're willing to look past the questionable aspect of the Character Import feature). It wasn't a pure Dragon Age experience, but it's an expansion pack, so I wasn't really expecting that. I think the new characters you meet are really cool, and they made a good choice with the returning party member. The gameplay additions are super tight, it's a good length at about 25% of the length of the full game, the dialogue is excellent as usual, the new locations are sweet as hell, and it presents some really fascinating possibilities for Dragon Age 2. Cannot recommend it highly enough for people who like Dragon Age.

Then again, I thought Return to Ostagar was a good DLC add-on, so maybe I'm a bit biased when it comes to Dragon Age. But whatever, DA:O is totally amazing.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AndrewB
    @Atlas said:

" ... Then again, I thought Return to Ostagar was a good DLC add-on, so maybe I'm a bit biased when it comes to Dragon Age. But whatever, DA:O is totally amazing. "

Opinion isn't bias. You liked it; there's no crime in that.

@Abyssfull

said:

" @ricetopher said:

"

In terms of decisions, I was kinda bummed about that decision right near the end

"
    "
    It reminded me mostly of Gears of War 2. The Darkspawn even look like Locusts, and on top of that, the visual styling of both games last levels are strikingly similar (at least, from what little I can remember about the ending to Gears of War 2, which I zoomed through and never picked up again).
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @AndrewB:
    I get what you mean with the resemblance, I was more refering to the plot-point. If they were to actually have one of the talking darkspawn become a party member, that would of really been pushing it ;P.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AndrewB
    @Abyssfull:  I really thought that's what they were leaning towards the second I heard there was going to be a talking Darkspawn in the game. You even have some dialogue options where you can try to recruit one of them.

Also, even the plot points were similar. In Gears of War 2, the Locusts are fighting a civil war between the regular Locust and the corrupt Lambent ones. In Awakening, there are the regular Darkspawn, and the ones corrupted by the Brood Mother. THere's definitely more to it than that, but still... it was a striking enough similarity that I was thinking about it all through the end of Awakening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.