Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a full retail expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins.

i have a feeling...

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rohanspear345

this will be disapointing going back to dragon age after mass effect

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Probably... I can't imagine going back into Dragon Age now, for another dose of The Lord of the Rings.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I have the same feeling. Mass Effect's storytelling and character depth really amped everything up... Dragon Age, now thinking back to it, is just kinda meh for me...

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

I've been playing lots of Dragon Age since I finished Mass Effect 2, and I'm afraid I have to disagree. I actually prefer Dragon Age.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost
    @extremeradical said:
    " I've been playing lots of Dragon Age since I finished Mass Effect 2, and I'm afraid I have to disagree. I actually prefer Dragon Age. "
    Really? I tried doing another run through of DA:O a month after ME2, and the combat was felt so weird. I guess it helps that I've played more shooters than Balder's Gate/DnD type of games, but still, it was hard to go back.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skald
    @sixghost said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " I've been playing lots of Dragon Age since I finished Mass Effect 2, and I'm afraid I have to disagree. I actually prefer Dragon Age. "
    Really? I tried doing another run through of DA:O a month after ME2, and the combat was felt so weird. I guess it helps that I've played more shooters than Balder's Gate/DnD type of games, but still, it was hard to go back. "
    Am I the only one who doesn't equate the two games? Mass Effect 2 plays more like Gears of War than DA:O. 

This is almost like comparing Starcraft and Diablo. It was made by the same company, but otherwise, they are entirely different games.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @extremeradical said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    Really? I tried doing another run through of DA:O a month after ME2, and the combat was felt so weird. I guess it helps that I've played more shooters than Balder's Gate/DnD type of games, but still, it was hard to go back. "
    Am I the only one who doesn't equate the two games? Mass Effect 2 plays more like Gears of War than DA:O.  This is almost like comparing Starcraft and Diablo. It was made by the same company, but otherwise, they are entirely different games. "
    I found DA:O scratching that 'RPG itch' after several ME2 runs. I think I have to agree with extremeradical - DA is a superior RPG (at least in terms of game mechanics). I do miss my hero having a voice though :/ Shepard spoiled me.
    DeadRockstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DeadRockstar
    @extremeradical said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't equate the two games? Mass Effect 2 plays more like Gears of War than DA:O.  This is almost like comparing Starcraft and Diablo. It was made by the same company, but otherwise, they are entirely different games. "
    I pretty much agree. They're both RPGs, but their differences are enough to equate to JRPG vs WRPG. 

If you want to talk about hard to go back to, try playing some ME1 after 2.
    Avatar image for buchinylordoftaco
    BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BuchinyLordOfTaco

i say screw ME2, i never liked it, DA:O on the other hand is awesome IMHO, but it may be that i like RPGs better than shooters, which to me is just what ME and ME2 are, as well as Fallout 3.
    So i say "SCREW YOU SHOOTER/ RPGS, YOU SUCK".

though i must agree with the voice, i wish my human mage had a strong and manly voice to go with his cool beard- ponytail combo :(

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions

I've gone back since, and I don't like it any less. It's a different game, with its ups and downs. What it lacks in graphics and dialogue design, it makes up for in being a simply massive current-gen game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skald
    @FunExplosions said:

" I've gone back since, and I don't like it any less. It's a different game, with its ups and downs. What it lacks in graphics and dialogue design, it makes up for in being a simply massive current-gen game. "

I understand the graphics gripes, but how is DA:O's conversation system in any way lacking? It seems pretty standard to me.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
    @extremeradical said:
    " @FunExplosions said:

" I've gone back since, and I don't like it any less. It's a different game, with its ups and downs. What it lacks in graphics and dialogue design, it makes up for in being a simply massive current-gen game. "

I understand the graphics gripes, but how is DA:O's conversation system in any way lacking? It seems pretty standard to me. "
    Well if you've played ME 1 or 2, you should know what I mean. If not, then you just have a different opinion. I liked hearing my character speak in ME, and without just having my choice read back to me, like other games do. It's a truly brilliant design and execution, on BioWare's end.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dustpan

After I beat Mass Effect 2 I played through Dragon Age: Origins. I only took a hour to get used to the controls again for me. Other then that I really didn't have a problem getting back into it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skald
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @FunExplosions said:

I understand the graphics gripes, but how is DA:O's conversation system in any way lacking? It seems pretty standard to me. "
    Well if you've played ME 1 or 2, you should know what I mean. If not, then you just have a different opinion. I liked hearing my character speak in ME, and without just having my choice read back to me, like other games do. It's a truly brilliant design and execution, on BioWare's end. "
    True, but that's not something Dragon Age should be scrutinized for, instead, we should praise Mass Effect for going above and beyond expectations. A full voice track for dwarves, elves, and humans would take up way to much space for a single disc, not to mention how much it would cost Bioware and EA. 
    I'm not saying that it's something I wouldn't like to see, it's just the kind of thing that I don't expect from a game. I would love to see it in more games.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

Just started my like 7th playthrough overall now, truthfully I'm finding it harder to sink in like 6-10 hours at a time like I used to. But I'm still getting enjoyment out of it, enough so that Awakening was money well spent.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaile

I still play them both regularly, on multiple playthroughs. They're both magnificent games in their own right. 

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rhodric

ME2 and DAO are like starcraft and wc3. Apples and oranges.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Supermarius
    @sixghost:  while the scale of the mass effect 2 combat was pretty good, it was really a weak point to me. On normal difficulty it is too easy and too slow. You can hide and regen you life too readily. In dragon age even on normal difficulty you are in mortal danger alot and can die fast if you mess up. Thats why you need to pause, because combat is so tight. You dont need to pause anymore in mass effect 2 because the combat just isn't that challenging or complex. 
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sixghost
    @Supermarius said:
    " @sixghost:  while the scale of the mass effect 2 combat was pretty good, it was really a weak point to me. On normal difficulty it is too easy and too slow. You can hide and regen you life too readily. In dragon age even on normal difficulty you are in mortal danger alot and can die fast if you mess up. Thats why you need to pause, because combat is so tight. You dont need to pause anymore in mass effect 2 because the combat just isn't that challenging or complex.  "
    To be honest, normal in ME2 is child's play. I had so much trouble in DA:O on normal, but you have to put ME2 on the difficulty 1 or 2 below insanity to make it fun. Also, you kind of have to play around with the biotics in ME2 to enjoy the combat. It shocks me everytime the guys on the bombcast talk about how soldier is the way to play through ME2, that's just crazy. Half the fun of the combat was arcing and bending your biotics around boxes, and watching the guy go flying the opposite direction. Lift/Singularity + Warp is also pretty awesome. But the best is using lift/singularity with a party members, then using lvl 2 or 3 throw while they are in the air and just watch the enemy fly out of sight at 300 mph. Anyone who just shoots their way through ME2 is missing out on so much of the fun.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sickVisionz

It wasn't too hard for me to jump back in.  The gameplay of ME2 and Dragon Age have almost nothing in common outside of dialog trees and pausing.  I've always enjoyed a wide variety of gameplay from the titles that I buy so it's easy for me to hop between to radically different mechanics and still have fun with both.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

They are completely different. So no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.