Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

As Somebody Thinking About This Game

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

So since this game has come out I have been tempted to rent or buy it on several occasions.  I love RPGs, I enjoyed all the Bioware games I've played(which is everything KOTOR on), I enjoy the sort of LOTR style fantasy theme this game has, and I also appreciate when a game is long(I feel like it is money well spent).  However for some odd reason I still have not played this game... from my perspective it looks like something I would totally enjoy. 

I plan to finally play this game soon, still not sure if I'll just buy it or gamefly it, but it will happen.  Having listened to the podcast and watched the Quick Looks I have picked up little things about the game and how it works.  As somebody coming into this new, is there anything you guys could recommend?  Anything that I should know going in?  What is the funnest class or race to play as?  Stuff like that.  Thanks. :)
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

All I can say is be a city elf. Be a dick to everyone. Win.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

I don't think this would be a good game to rent.  I like to play as a mage too by the way, i found it more interactive for my own character which i control most battles.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By graniteoctopus

well i would reccomend you play as a human noble for the first play through. it makes the story a touch more personal in my opinion. also playing as a female from that origin can lead to a bonus if you chose a certain male romance. 
    on the flipside playing as a dwarf gives you a much better understanding of their world and what makes it tick, so dwarf noble is also a good choice. 
    on the OTHER flip side, if you want to play in easy mode without actuallly picking easy mode play as a mage. they are so hilariously overpowered it makes the game twice as fun. 
    thats all i can really tell you other than expect to be entertained for at least 100 hours.
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Make everyone in your party a healing mage and then dance around in the horde of dark spawn.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

Thanks guys I'll keep this stuff in mind.  Also I'll probably be gameflying it then keeping it, this will save me money and give me the option to send it back if I don't like it for whatever reason.  I'm looking forward to it though.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

Playing through each origin story will give you a lot more information and flesh out certain characters you might otherwise see as throwaway ones.

If you're playing the 360 version, play on easy. If you're playing the PC version (I'd assume not with the "rent" statement) play on normal.

Mages are fun and the right build can be overpowered compared to other classes.

Buy every "backpack" you can find as soon as you can (they increase the maximum amount of items you can carry). You might not be able to get some of the earlier ones later.

Pickpocketing every single character you meet will net you a ton of useful gold and items by the end of the game. Each single person might not have a lot, but money is somewhat scarce in Dragon Age, and every little bit adds up.  On that note, horde every item you can, even if you don't intend on using it, and sell it back at a town.

As annoying as it can be, always have a rogue in your party, and one with high cunning/lockpicking/pickpocket ability. There's no bashing locks to open them, and the items you can find in some of the higher difficulty chests can often be worth it. Also, you'll be able to see and disarm annoying traps.

Learn spell combos and use them often.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mariek430

If you care more about min/maxing then keeping to some sort of story figure. I would make your character a Mage spec'd for Blood Magic/Arcane Warrior and Spirit Healer since you get one "pure" healer in the game and they can come late depending how you go about doing the story line, use the other characters for your warrior/rogue/damage dealing mage needs.

Mage is probably the most fun class I played(beat it three times on PC as each class). Lots of of fun to Storm Of The Century an entire room of mobs.
    IIRC friendly fire isnt turned on on the console game, so feel free to drop AoEs on your own guys if you need to.
    Winter's Grasp is fucking amazing, as is Cone of Cold.

As you might guess most of my experience comes from playing as a Mage, but Dual Wield Warrior was alot a blast watching all the white numbers pop up.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

I played all the Origins stories, and I found the Dwarf Noble to be the most engaging. The other ones are all kind of predictable and generic but for some reason, I felt like they put a lot of work into the Dwarf Noble. 

It was also my favorite part of the game as a whole, which is a shame because Dwarf Noble was the first one I picked. So I was done with the best part of the game at the beginning :( But don't go in expecting an absolutely epic story... the story in Dragon Age is... well, I guess you could call it "humble". Some would call it generic and unoriginal as well. The universe is also not as engaging as, say, Bioware's OTHER rpg series... :P 

But if you like a KOTOR style gameplay, Dragon Age is your only choice.

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Venom09

If you want your main character to be controlled the most, be a mage. About halfway through the game you'll be relying on your mage more than any other characters. So that mage might as well be yours

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd actually recommend Gameflying it, if you have that option, especially if you can get it without too long of a wait. 

I made the mistake of buying the game, since I love RPGs and I heard so many great things about the game.  It just...wasn't for me.  I could give plenty of reasons why, but in the end it's something I wish somebody had told me "rent, don't buy" instead of all the recommendations to just buy it straight out.   Also, I'd advise against trying Rogue as your first class, by far the most boring and lacking in options compared to the others.  Probably try Mage, they have by far the most options in different situations, and more than 1 or 2 useful abilities.  

As you said, if you like it you can always keep it, and still end up saving money, so I'd say Gamefly is the way to go.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

I think dragon age is the best game of last year

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking

Awesome.  Sounds like I'll be making a mage then.  The mage class isn't usually the way I go in games so it'll be interesting to see how this works out.  And yes I'll be gameflying it just in case.  Thanks again.
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mariek430
    @HatKing said:
    " Awesome.  Sounds like I'll be making a mage then.  The mage class isn't usually the way I go in games so it'll be interesting to see how this works out.  And yes I'll be gameflying it just in case.  Thanks again. "
    I've always been of the mindset Mages suck in every game at the start, but become better as the game progresses. Oddly enough in DA they rock from the start and stay good for the whole length of the 100 or so hours it takes to beat it.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking
    @Mariek430:
    Yeah I know what you mean.  Not sure why I don't use them, it isn't that I'm using the warrior/soldier class... because I never use that either(rarely).  I guess I always just try to pick the class that the least amount of people are going to pick... I have no idea why I do that.  For example my main in Mass Effect is an Engineer and my main in Borderlands is the Hunter, both the classes I thought nobody'd use.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX

I've played through the game a couple times, I really think its over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad game, but everything about it seems so bland. The plot was very thin, you don't know much about your enemy and why they want to kill mankind. The combat was dull, walk up press X, Y, B in order, wait for your spell cooldowns to finish. Repeat. I also hate the silent main character. Sure you talk through text options, but having your main character have no actual audible voice just seems to separate me from the character which makes it hard to get into the experience of the game. The supporting cast voice-overs were good, and their back stories and involvement in the game are very cool (Morrigan was awesome). I found doing a lot of the side-quests was annoying as most of them are pointless and don't really progress any plot points. It was just one of those games where once I get about half-way or three-quarters the way through I just stop caring about whats going on and I want to finish it and pick up a couple achievements. It dragged on, I'm trying not to spoil anything but basically your trying to unite factions against your enemy. But as luck would have it, each faction has its own problem they look to your to solve before they want to give you a hand. It made the game drag on.

The system they set up where your choices effect the game was very well done I thought, it was probably the best part of the game. But I found that it didnt matter if your character was nice or a complete dick and there is no good/evil type thing.

I know it seems Im knocking the game, but I really didnt think it deserved the reviews it got. I'm really surprise at how many people say this was the best game of '09. I'm a pretty big RPG fan, but this one just seemed to sterile to me. Its just one of those games that once you finish you go wow, that could have been way better.

Personally, its hard to recommend this game to somebody when theres other really great RPGs out there. Mass Effect 2, Fallout, Final Fantasy 13 in a couple weeks. I'd spend the money on those over this game.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Jayross

mages are fucking over-powered. 

But this game is awesome, I played through it once, and I wish I could find the time to play it again.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Milkman

If you're not going to play as a healer, go to the Circle of Magi first thing.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking
    @Burns098356GX:
    I appreciate the honest opinion.  Although I'm still playing this, I have to give it a try.  Also I have played Mass Effect and Fallout to death so that I why I am getting this.  Both of them are great though.  I'm not much of a Final Fantasy fan, I never have been, I've tried... it just doesn't take to me.   

Anyway, I got the game today and went with a mage as that seemed to be the recommendation.  I have to say I am really liking it.  I was worried because I was under the impression the combat system was going to be too complex but it actually seems pretty simple to me.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the crazy stuff I'll be able to do with this mage as I progress.  Also, so far I'm enjoying the story (although I'm not far at all) it seems to be working for moving the game along and I'm interested in seeing more.  After Mass Effect it did take me a while to get past not talking, I found it misleading that I even decided on a voice for my character... but I think I am getting used to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.