Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

CD-Action Reviews DA:O

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DeviantJoker

Not having the article myself handy (and not being able to translate Polish-->English) - the summary as stated by others is...

Pros: 
    Multi-Threaded Plot
    Climate
    Combat
    Great possibilities for development
    Length

Cons: 
    Looks old school
    Some fights are difficult like hell even at lower difficulty levels

There are additional rates for:
    - Graphics: 7/10
    - Music: 9/10
    - Playability 9/10 

Some other points noted...

"Reviw author also notefd that the game has incredible replayability. And, well, is extremely hardo-core and not for new-gen rpgs fans."

"after about 26 hours of gameplay what looked like a final battle I was able to finish 34% of the game with 86% world map exploration" (he was just surprised that what seemed like the end of story happened long before even half of it)

He says: "That is not a next-gen RPG. You won't find the effectivness of [...] It is gameplay in an old, very classic style. Collection your party, hours of preparations for bigger battles, long time spent studing the skill trees and picking what is worth knowing. [...] It is most important here [the story], thanks to it you really want to spend those tens (even hundreds!) of hours with Origins. I highly recommend it to hardcore RPG fans. The rest has, sadly, nothing to look for here."

I enjoy that it's cons are "looks Old School and Not Easy". I have no problem with old school.. well because I enjoy old school RPGs - and not easy I assume comes from the stand-point as it may not be beginner friendly. As long as story and gameplay are enjoyable, then I'll be happy.

As for the additional comments - it seems like (from the reviewer's stand-point), the game is very in "epic" (hate using that word so flippantly) in its game -feeling he reached the climax of the game, when he was only 34% to go and had much more bigger things to see. Also, the game I'm sure being compared to Mass Effect - will not have as a wide reaching audience since it is rooted in, what he considers, "hard-core" RPG.

Luckily.. I am a "hard-core" RPG fan, I guess *shrug*. I expect similar reviews with 8 to 9 out of 10 marks in the future. 

Edit: Oh and for GB, I predict 4/5

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @DeviantJoker said:

That's assuming that they review it at all. The GB team seems to have a nasty habit of being unable to finish anything that takes more than 12 or so hours, and Dragon Age must certainly take longer than 12 hours.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Sounds great. Don't think it'll make a great impact in the gaming industry as a whole but at least RPG fans have something to be proud of for the time being.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Nate
    "I highly recommend it to hardcore RPG fans. The rest has, sadly, nothing to look for here."

This is what I predicted, and thus I'm not sure if I'll like it. I'm really tempted to pre-order, but not sure how "hard-core" I truly am. I'll wait and see. Maybe there will be a demo on XBL? Probably not, but maybe.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " Already? :O  Need to pick it up fast! "
    But are you hard-core enough?!
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @CaptainObvious said:
    " Already? :O  Need to pick it up fast! "
    But are you hard-core enough?! "
    I meant the magazine. Didn't realise it's out today, not interested in game :D.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @CaptainObvious: Heh. My bad then. But of course, magazines are always better then videogames!
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @eroticfishcake: It depends on which videgames imo. I would choose magazine over Big Rigs anytime! 

On topic, when i saw the cinematic trailer first i was totally hyped for it! But after seeing gameplay, not so much. 
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @DeviantJoker said:

That's assuming that they review it at all. The GB team seems to have a nasty habit of being unable to finish anything that takes more than 12 or so hours, and Dragon Age must certainly take longer than 12 hours. "
    Ah didn't think of that. Ya true, if that's the case... ah that's disappointing, I'd love to see what GB team thinks. 

@Nate said:
    I'm really tempted to pre-order, but not sure how "hard-core" I truly am. I'll wait and see."

Reviews and Rent. Never know, even if you think you're not a "hard-core" RPG (I think this term is highly subjective) - the gameplay + good story telling may drive you to adapt to the "challenging" environment of the game.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By spacetrucking
    How is climate a pro ? I understand its a neat thing to have but they seriously couldn't think of anything else to put in the pros. :/ 

after about 26 hours of gameplay what looked like a final battle I was able to finish 34% of the game with 86% world map exploration" (he was just surprised that what seemed like the end of story happened long before even half of it)

That quote makes it sound a lot like Oblivion or Fallout and thats not a bad thing. I like being able to roam the world freely with my tricked out out character with the best possible equipment.   A lot of RPGs make the mistake of shutting you out after 20-30 hours of character development. You feel cheated because you spent all this time cherry picking talents/stats only to have it all taken away after an arbitery point.

@ArbitraryWater said:

" @DeviantJoker said:

That's assuming that they review it at all. The GB team seems to have a nasty habit of being unable to finish anything that takes more than 12 or so hours, and Dragon Age must certainly take longer than 12 hours. "
    Dave's the man for RPGs. I bet he'll be reviewing this.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Killjoy said:
    " How is climate a pro ? I understand its a neat thing to have but they seriously couldn't think of anything else to put in the pros. :/ 

@ArbitraryWater said:

" @DeviantJoker said:

Dave's the man for RPGs. I bet he'll be reviewing this. "
    I assume "climate" means - environment. As in the surrounding and the feel of the game as you're moving through it. Think, immersion. That's my guess.  And I'm glad to hear there's an RPG-man in the group. I'm pretty new to GB, so I don't know who on the staff is known for what. I just dig the podcasts.
    Avatar image for the_evergrey_one
    The_Evergrey_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By The_Evergrey_One

So basically all pros and no cons what so ever. Just a bit more than 1 month to go.
    day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By day2daze

did you think climate meant weather? ha, like what ooooooo rain, plus one for this game...

and this won't be like fallout or bethesda rpgs. this will be more linear, less wandering around aimlessly looking for something cool and just experiencing it.
     yes, as the reviewer had 86% of the map explored, and only half of the game down, i would most certainly say not fallout/oblivion in the slightest. it's the EXACT opposite ratio for those two

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Maybe i'm not hard core enough...

It is as i was expecting. 

And possibly one more con: the graphics may be not at par with the rest of the experience, and may not provide a all that immersive experience.

I'm going to wait for a price drop.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By demonbear
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @DeviantJoker said:

/thread. Also, none of these guys are huge rpg fans. Dave is probably your goto guy to review this game.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Sounds amazing and exactly what I was hoping for. Hopefully it's not quite as long as NWN2 though, that lasted me a good 80 hours. Got a bit tedious in the end.

Avatar image for piratepwnsninja
    piratepwnsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By piratepwnsninja

That one quote is confusing. So 26 hours in he thought he was at the final battle but it was actually not? Is that what that quote is trying to say?

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @piratepwnsninja said:

" That one quote is confusing. So 26 hours in he thought he was at the final battle but it was actually not? Is that what that quote is trying to say? "

That would be the consensus with the interpretation. And the fact that it needed interpretation means it was written awkwardly, I'd say. But yes, at 26 hours of gameplay he reached a very exciting climatic part..... and the game wasn't over. There was more awesomesauce to go through and more climaxing to be had. Specifically some 20-50+ hours worth, depending on how OCD you want to get over it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.