Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: Origins - more fun the second time?

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Edited By ribeye

so i finally clicked on Dragon Age again and i have to admit, i've been avoiding it since shortly after it launched.  i never did finish it the first time and, even tho my dude is wearing a really stupid looking hat, i'm really enjoying it a lot more than i did the first go-round.  it's kind of a daunting game to me, it's so huge and such a long game, i'd been hesitant to click on it for the longest time.  having just finished up inFamous, i finally sucked it up and clicked on it the other day and immediately remember that i had apparently lost my mind when i installed windows 7 a while back and just clean wiped everything the moment i brought it home without backing anything up.  Lost about 30 hours in Dragon Age and 60-some in Borderlands haha.  oh well tho, they're still fun the 2nd (and 3rd) times

the first night i clicked on it i actually couldn't play because i had to wait for the 15 gig download (oh yeah that), played it the next night and clicked on it again the night after that only to find that they released an 800 meg patch, which is a good thing, but again i had to wait

so after this that and the other, i finally got a few good sit-downs with it from scratch and i have to say, i'm really enjoying it much more thoroughly this time.  it's a serious undertaking either way, but i'm thinking i was hurried the first time because some other game (or 4) was about to come out and i didn't think i had the time to spend on such a huge game 

long story short, i do have the time now and i'm really glad i clicked on it again, i'm going in head-first and i'm taking my time and exploring every nook....playing the way i really prefer to play games in general and giving this game the sporting chance that it deserves.  i went with a mage and i put it on easy (which is something i rarely do) cuz i figure it's already long enough without having to re-do areas and enemies over and over, and i really don't need the headaches, i just wanna experience the game and have fun with it.  plus there's no friendly fire on easy so i can fire off whatever spell i want with impunity  =)

in the grand scheme of things i'm really not that far into it, but i'm already looking at Awakening with an i'm-probably-going-to-buy-it eye.  i'm so impressed actually that i'm probably going to scoop up the rest of the DLC too so i can play all things Dragon Age.  really having a lot of fun with the mage so far, does anyone know if i can use my same dude in Awakening?  and since we're on the topic of importing saves, what about Dragon Age 2?  any cross-game saves like Mass Effect going on there?  or are they totally different time periods/characters etc?
    ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By ribeye

so i finally clicked on Dragon Age again and i have to admit, i've been avoiding it since shortly after it launched.  i never did finish it the first time and, even tho my dude is wearing a really stupid looking hat, i'm really enjoying it a lot more than i did the first go-round.  it's kind of a daunting game to me, it's so huge and such a long game, i'd been hesitant to click on it for the longest time.  having just finished up inFamous, i finally sucked it up and clicked on it the other day and immediately remember that i had apparently lost my mind when i installed windows 7 a while back and just clean wiped everything the moment i brought it home without backing anything up.  Lost about 30 hours in Dragon Age and 60-some in Borderlands haha.  oh well tho, they're still fun the 2nd (and 3rd) times

the first night i clicked on it i actually couldn't play because i had to wait for the 15 gig download (oh yeah that), played it the next night and clicked on it again the night after that only to find that they released an 800 meg patch, which is a good thing, but again i had to wait

so after this that and the other, i finally got a few good sit-downs with it from scratch and i have to say, i'm really enjoying it much more thoroughly this time.  it's a serious undertaking either way, but i'm thinking i was hurried the first time because some other game (or 4) was about to come out and i didn't think i had the time to spend on such a huge game 

long story short, i do have the time now and i'm really glad i clicked on it again, i'm going in head-first and i'm taking my time and exploring every nook....playing the way i really prefer to play games in general and giving this game the sporting chance that it deserves.  i went with a mage and i put it on easy (which is something i rarely do) cuz i figure it's already long enough without having to re-do areas and enemies over and over, and i really don't need the headaches, i just wanna experience the game and have fun with it.  plus there's no friendly fire on easy so i can fire off whatever spell i want with impunity  =)

in the grand scheme of things i'm really not that far into it, but i'm already looking at Awakening with an i'm-probably-going-to-buy-it eye.  i'm so impressed actually that i'm probably going to scoop up the rest of the DLC too so i can play all things Dragon Age.  really having a lot of fun with the mage so far, does anyone know if i can use my same dude in Awakening?  and since we're on the topic of importing saves, what about Dragon Age 2?  any cross-game saves like Mass Effect going on there?  or are they totally different time periods/characters etc?
    Poochie_D1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Poochie_D1

I have the same feeling almost as you. 
    I got Dragon Age at christmas, but because I had also got  Assassin's Creed 2, It kept me occupied until maround Februrary, which was when I bought another game. I was playing Dragon Age occasionly as a warrior, and wasn't spending much time with it, and was just rushing thorugh. I started a new character just this week though, after a couple months hiatus, playing as a dual-wielding elvish rogue, and I'm getting much more interested in the lore and story and the complexity of combat. 

As for your questions, I'm pretty sure you can use the same dude in Awekening, haven't bought it yet, and I don't think they've released too much on Dragon Age 2 yet, but I'm not sure.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sagesebas
    @ribeye: I'm really close to beating it, and am around 36 hours in, I feel like the people getting 60 or a hundred hour play times  have all the dlc and maybe awakening.  

That being said I had several 4 hour sessions with the game something I rarely do, just curious what is your class and such?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

Really stupid hat? Sounds like you're playing as a mage. AVOID EXTREME DIFFICULTY.

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lhaymehr

I got so much mileage from that game..was worth the cash. Played the main story 3, 4 times, awakening twice, all the DLC, then the mods...

The game is certainly lacking in some aspects but it's brilliant for when you just want to have brainless click-fun. Lay down in armchair, left hand on balls, right on mouse, playing DA, smoked.

I'm too pissed about Bioware making it more action-like in DA2, but for different reasons.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Teran

I played this game for about 250 hours.  Beat it once normal, and twice on nightmare (or whatever the hardest difficulty is called, get it mixed up with ME2's).  I enjoyed the game most on my second insanity run.

KannDue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By KannDue

I've been curious as to how much harder the game gets on the upper difficulties.  Does it just spawn in more enemies with more health, or do the relationships you can develop become harder to balance?  Also, is there a particular origin story that is better than the rest?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By haggis
    @KannDue:   You have to worry about friendly fire more on the higher difficulty levels, and the AI is more difficult. More enemies? I don't think that many more, but I could be wrong. Higher difficulty levels require more micromanaging of your party members, which takes a lot more time. As for one origin story better than the rest ... I thought they were all equally good. I wouldn't choose based on the story, but the class instead. 
    jangomack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jangomack
    @haggis said:
    " @KannDue:   You have to worry about friendly fire more on the higher difficulty levels, and the AI is more difficult. More enemies? I don't think that many more, but I could be wrong. Higher difficulty levels require more micromanaging of your party members, which takes a lot more time. As for one origin story better than the rest ... I thought they were all equally good. I wouldn't choose based on the story, but the class instead.  "
    Yeah I definitely agree with the last point. I often found the class/origin I chose often depended on whether I stuck with a toon to the end.

I can't play DAO these days without it being on nightmare .. it's just not fun enough. You can enhance the difficulty further with mods that effectively give you nightmare+, and if I remember right there's a decent mod that allows the mobs to equip the weapons/armour they could drop too - all making it a bit tougher. Having said that though once you have enough experience with the game it kinda all equals out. Also .. balance in Awakening is pretty much non-existant from what I remember .. sadly ..
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BrokenCage

I feel like this is a factor in all Bioware games.  

With Bioware, I always play through once as a purely evil character (and face all the consequences) before playing through a second time as a more "balanced" character. I feel the first playthrough tells me the basic story, and the second playthrough lets me make educated choices since I already know what consequences I want to avoid. 

For example, my first DAO playthrough, I played without Wynne as I was completely evil, and because of that I discovered the joys of teaming Morrigan with Leliena and Alistair. On my second playthrough, I knew what not to do to avoid driving Wynne from my party. As a result, I never had that "WTF" moment when party members were abandoning me left and right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.