Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon age: Origins...#1

Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Marcopolo

I've seen Dragon age origins before but most of it was cinematic trailers.  I enjoyed those but wasn't sure if the gameplay would support how the videos looked.  Today I saw the newly posted trailer compilation and this game just reached numero uno on my list of wanted games.  The battles look magnificent and the storyline looks like it will hold up.  Who am I kidding, any game made by Bioware has a good storyline.. Am I right or am i right?

What do you think about this game?  Any information I should know about it?

I want to hear it all.

Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Marcopolo

I've seen Dragon age origins before but most of it was cinematic trailers.  I enjoyed those but wasn't sure if the gameplay would support how the videos looked.  Today I saw the newly posted trailer compilation and this game just reached numero uno on my list of wanted games.  The battles look magnificent and the storyline looks like it will hold up.  Who am I kidding, any game made by Bioware has a good storyline.. Am I right or am i right?

What do you think about this game?  Any information I should know about it?

I want to hear it all.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Duke_Lion

I have always been looking forward to it, but after seeing the video you mentioned I am even more excited because I did not know you could play as a dwarf.  Dwarfs are my favorite fantasy race.  I dont know what to think about the lack of beards though.

Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcopolo

Yeah I'm definatley going out to buy this game when it comes out.  Too bad Borderlands comes out on the same day (last time I checked).  I'll have to decide on which to get ot maybe both, hehe.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeviantJoker

Really, the overview does a good job of covering some things. There are 6 different origins to pick from, from there you pick your class and venture into the world, spending the first hour in your particular origin to help define the way you see the world (A down-trodden City Elf will see the world much differently then a Noble Human background). Bioware has always been into consequences for your actions so expect that sort of line of dialogue and ramifications of some choices.

It is not like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, where you're giving an open-ended world. The game is story-driven - while there will be undoubtly many side-quests.. you are adventuring toward one end. Once you reach the "end" it's game over. Like a good book. I feel like I want to point to people to games like Baldur Gate, as mentioned in the overview, as well as Knights of the old Republic in game play style. If you enjoyed those games, you should enjoy this as well. Immerse yourself into your companions story as well as the theme of the world and you'll like this game.

Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcopolo

Sounds like fun.  I thought it was going to be open world but I'm sure Story driven will be fun too.  As long as there are many side quests it would still feel the same I guess

How is the multiplayer if there is any?

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Marcopolo said:
    " Sounds like fun.  I thought it was going to be open world but I'm sure Story driven will be fun too."

Ya. Don't want people to get the idea it's like a Bethesda -- not that they're a bad company I dug FO3, but it's an entirely different company. The feel of a Bioware game is different. Personally I enjoy the more.. mm, ?epic? feeling of the game vs the "sandbox" style of FO3.

"As long as there are many side quests it would still feel the same I guessHow is the multiplayer if there is any? "

But, yes, there will be no shortage of Side Quests in this game. I believe the game is still going to clock in at some great number of hours. I really hesitate to say exactly the number of hours - because depending on your playstyle, how many sidequests you go after, how much dialogue you go through, how much you explore, and the difficulty you play on.. it can vary greatly. If anyone tries to convince you differently BEFORE the game is released, they're doing it from their own select view. On average though, I'd at least say 25-40hrs. If you do everything.. eh.. 50-80+ hrs? Again depending on how picky you are. Either way, I really doubt unless you stick to the main story and nothing else and sprint through all the dialogue you'll burn through this game in less than 20-25 hours?

Also remember, this game has great replayability potential. Different morale choices and origins to take on. They may be a slight variation in some ways, but it's definitely a way to expand those hours.

@Marcopolo said:
    "How is the multiplayer if there is any? "

The game will have absolutely no multiplayer whatsoever. This was a decision by Bioware to make a damn good single-player game and not sacrifice that to anything. While I am sad too, I was looking forward to persistent worlds and such via the modding community -- I trust Bioware's decision to make a damn good story and not sacrifice that. Also, if you do look to get it for PC - you can be sure there'll be a pretty fanatic modding community that will continue on the game. And, of course, the best of those will no doubt make their way to XBOX/PS3 as well via DLC in time.
    Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcopolo

Alright sounds good even though I'm getting it for the 360, hehe.

So that means no Co-op or Online.  Well Bioware is known for developing single player games and they've always gone through.  Anything else I should know about the game haha.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I want Dragon Age, really, really badly.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Marcopolo said:
    " The battles look magnificent "
    The battles look like there's one guy and everyone goes up and beats the crap out of him, doesn't seem like there's a lot of strategy, looks like an MMO to me.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeviantJoker

Um. Well if you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll see what I know or can dig up. Again, if you want to make sure you'll want/like it - I'd look to other Bioware games incase you haven't played them. And you could always pick upDragon Age: The Stolen Throne, it is a book by the lead writer for the Dragon Age: Origins game. If it finds it whets your appetite more then all the better! I've read it and highly recommend it with anyone clearly obsessed with Dragon Age. Another book will be coming out, possibly released at the time of the game itself.

Edit Note: I see, Marco, you enjoyed Mass Effect. Even though I know it is an utterly different setting - I'm almost sure it's going to fall in line and just have a great Bioware feel. You may not be shooting guns or blasting off your Biotics - but beyond a varied gameplay, I'm sure it'll have just as fun a feel. I am pretty confident you will enjoy this game. Look into this topic here to investigate what the Collector's Edition holds in store!

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Marcopolo said:
    " The battles look magnificent "
    The battles look like there's one guy and everyone goes up and beats the crap out of him, doesn't seem like there's a lot of strategy, looks like an MMO to me. "
    Battles, I feel will be no more "strategic" than you would have found in Mass Effect. That being said - there was still an efficient way to handle battles other than mass clicking your characters and then single clicking another enemy. Knowing what abilities to use, perhaps having your melee engage ranged or your ranged peg down other ranged while your melee handled the front lines... small things like these. It's not an RTS - but there is definitely an efficient way to handle battles.

Here are some more recent videos on some battles that feel more lively than the recent past...

Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3 (Tower of Ishal Fight... again! But this time, you see them using things like freeze and such. The party looks worse for wear at the end though anyways).
    Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marcopolo

Yeah the battles don't look like a turn based strategy fight but they definatley won't be point and click either.  As for the battles on the 360, how would they work?  Would you just have to press a button and watch the fight or is it different buttons with different attacks/combos?

Are the books related with the same storyline used in the actual game?

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeviantJoker

The videos I previously posted were actual game footage from the 360. So if you take notice, you can assign abilities to your buttons as a shortcut (looks like you can assign six per character) and use them via a button press in the real-time of combat. Abilities do have cooldowns, yes. In this effect, it does actually feel like an MMO gameplay. What they did not show in these videos, is that you can actively jump around to control your entire party, not just one character. Also, the good old 'pause' and 'play' effect is there. So as you switch around you can carefully select your attacks and do as you wish all while paused.

Controller Setup

As for the book - it is a prequel to the main game. The video game is set some thirty years ahead of the book -- but the book does a fantastic job of showcasing the world you will be entering. Also, one of the main characters in the book is definitely in the video game in a large way I believe. If nothing else, next time you are in your local bookstore - read a chapter or two and see if it strikes you.

Feel free to continue with the questions.

Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marcopolo

Oh I see, the battles look simple enough, hehe.  I just remember Bioware saying it resembles Dark Alliance so I thought it was going to be hack and slash gameplay but I also like the Dungeon Siege style of fighting.  So as far as number of team members go, I guess you can have 4 people in your party at a time.  Are they all important main cahracters or are there a wide variety of them that can die at any time?

How about the different races in the game?  What are the consequences of choosing one race and not the other?  Are there only Human, Elves, and Dwarves in Dragon age? 

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeviantJoker

Well now... this is a mighty hefty laden questioned post.

Party Members:

Yes, as far as I can tell, four party members active party members at one time. This does not limit your number of companions, though. At your "base" much like Mass Effect, you can have multiple companions join you and remain there, able to trade-in and out. Thus far, there are 8 notable companions.

• Alistair - Looks to be a Shield/Sword type
    • Morrigan - Mage
    • Dog (You rename him) - ? Fighter Type
    • Sten - Classic big warrior
    • Leliana - ? Most likely a rogue
    • Wynne - Mage (Healer)
    • Zevhran - Unsure. Most likely Rogue Archer?
    • Oghren - Unsure. Might be another Fighter.

This is.. of course, all subject to change until the release of the game. Can they die? Possibly I suppose. I know you can outright kill Wynne as she may conflict with one of your character (but that is just one outcome). Also, by your own morale decisions and various choices - party members may be inclined to leave.. or maybe violently bash you over the head -- like with Wrex in Mass Effect at one point in the game. And of course - this may not be the full list.

As for the different races - there are only 3 playable races as you noted, Elf, Dwarven and Human. Each race along with their origin, will allow for a unique ~1hr intro that will shape the world you are stepping into. The prologue of the playable human origin will differ from the elf origins and the dwarf origins. You, as well, may see the world differently and act differently accordingly throughout the game. Other consequences, such as Elf's being seen as a "second-rate" citizen will be reflected sometimes in how you are treated. This is heavily where I personally find the replay value in. Playing a human, I'm certain, will feel different than playing an Elf - and I certainly will act differently and still feel natural about it.

Also, it was noted for instance - you will no doubt visit many places, so if for instance you were a dwarf noble and revisted your homeland for allies you may be received differently than if you were a dwarf from the commoner origin - essentially the lowest kind of dwarf. So, the "consequences" may be variable and noticeable only after you play with one and then another to compare.

So... whew. I dunno, hope I answered some of your questions - and not too vaguely.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @DeviantJoker said:
    This is.. of course, all subject to change until the release of the game. Can they die? Possibly I suppose. I know you can outright kill Wynne as she may conflict with one of your character (but that is just one outcome). Also, by your own morale decisions and various choices - party members may be inclined to leave.. or maybe violently bash you over the head -- like with Wrex in Mass Effect at one point in the game. And of course - this may not be the full list.
    Also wanted to mention - the developers also said some of these companions may not even be able to all be recruited in the same run. Why may be because of origins, certain choices you make, and a many other thing. I'm really not sure how many companions this game will have though in total. I only listed the 8 that are most notably presented. Who knows?

Mass Effect had six companions I think total... and Baldur's Gate had six...teen! So far, I've listed eight. Will there be more - quite possibly. If not, it's already two more on top of ME.
    Marcopolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marcopolo

Cool thanks for the info Deviant.  Really helped open my eyes to the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.