Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

EA's Giving Away Dragon Age: Origins

• 97 results
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@bakkelun said:

2 playthroughs â 80hours of this original masterpiece stands to testament how horribly bad the sequel was (which I put maybe 10hrs into and didn't bother to get far in)

Dragon Age: Origins is one of my top five games of all time, in terms of how much I enjoyed playing it, and how much time I spent playing it. Dragon Age 2 I finished, and then never touched again, because I was so disappointed with the idiotic conclusion to the story, among other things.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

If you haven't played it on PC, you haven't played it.

SmokeyTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SmokeyTab

@slyspider:

The Shale DLC wasnt really DLC at all, it was part of EA's project $10.

Every new copy of the game came with a Shale DLC code to discourage 2nd hand sales. 'Shale' wasn't DLC, it was cut content to recoup some cash from used game sales, which is fair enough I guess.

It just seems strange to me that EA would give the game away for free missing some of it's original ( and important) content.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd give away the damn pc specs. One month till release and no one knows what they are yet.

BaronVonHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info, downloading now. :)

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot believe that there are fanboys for digital distribution systems.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By slyspider

@slyspider:

The Shale DLC wasnt really DLC at all, it was part of EA's project $10.

Every new copy of the game came with a Shale DLC code to discourage 2nd hand sales. 'Shale' wasn't DLC, it was cut content to recoup some cash from used game sales, which is fair enough I guess.

It just seems strange to me that EA would give the game away for free missing some of it's original ( and important) content.

I wouldn't call Shale important, and used game owners got by just fine without it and they still had to pay someone some money

TopFloor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, don't really have a problem with Origin. I don't really have a problem with U-Play either. (Except that if you buy a U-Play game in steam you are forced to run both the U-Play and Steam clients at the same time >_<)

I think all the hate is coming from the fact that you have to run a different client for EA games and yet another client for Ubisoft games, which I get. I would prefer if we didn't have to run a client at all, but they aren't so bad that you can't play your games. As long as those clients don't require you to have a connection past the first run, I can live with it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@topfloor: Uplay made playing FC3 with a controller awful. It would lock up my entire computer for a minute multiple times throughout the launch process. Didn't happen when I unplugged my controller and didn't happen when I unhooked it from Uplay.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've got all these Origin games that I keep forgetting about until the next time a free game is offered.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@corevi: I recently just played Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon through Uplay, I didn't have any issues with a controller. Strange. Guess I'm lucky?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

@corevi: I recently just played Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon through Uplay, I didn't have any issues with a controller. Strange. Guess I'm lucky?

Blood Dragon worked fine the 4 times I've played through it (god I love that game). It was just a problem with the main game.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@corevi said:
    @nickhead said:

Blood Dragon worked fine the 4 times I've played through it (god I love that game). It was just a problem with the main game.

Agreed! Thoroughly enjoyed playing them back to back, Blood Dragon was so silly and the perfect length that I found nothing to dislike.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably my favorite game of all time.

DA2 was okay, if only because its set in the same universe and I loved origins so much! I replayed it recently, and it held up much better given the distance (I was so excited for it at launch).

Would highly recommend this to anyone who likes RPGs, and could squirrel away 50ish hours to play it

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bought this on console for mere tuppence a short while ago. It... hasn't aged well. Imagine it's a very different experience on PC, though.

I played this on PC a few months back (also in anticipation of Inquisition), and I though it held up fine.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sweetz

@dayoneadvantage said:

Not sure why people still talk shit about Origin.

Are there really that many people actually doing that anymore? There certainly aren't in this specific comment thread.

Even back in the day, there wasn't too much hate about the client itself. Rather the problem is that we were forced to use it for new EA games and who wants to bother with maintaining another login and running another client when we were all already using Steam? Why can't we just buy and play the games through the client we were comfortable with? (Answer: Because Valve and EA had a pissing match about control over selling DLC). Origin isn't bad, but Steam wins simply by nature of being first and entrenched.

That said, while the client is fine, I feel EA has negatively exploited Origin exclusivity for their games more than Valve has exploited Steam exclusivity. Prime example is that because Origin is the only means through which you can buy DLC for newer EA PC games, they rarely or even never discount DLC. Mass Effect 3 DLC for example, has never gone on sale even though the game itself has been on sale multiple times. It still costs you $40 if you want just the the story based DLCs for that game.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game is so good... hope lots of people get to experience it for the first time due to this.

inquisition looks kinda whack.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#69 FinalDasa  Moderator

@foolishchaos: Is DA2 worth finishing? I have started it easily 5 times but never get beyond 15-20 hours in.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By tuxfool

@sweetz: Yeah, my issues with Origin were never so much about technical problems (despite being prevalent in the beginning).

What I really don't like is how redundant it is. I would really like to be able to buy all games through steam and get the associated services around that. Newer games can only be purchased via Origin yet at the same time they don't sell any other product other than EA games (which are fewer and fewer games each year).

These issues are part of the reason Uplay rankles me too. Ubisoft allows purchases via Steam but counteracts that with the crappy (and sometimes game breaking) client.

Cuuniyevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@foolishchaos: Is DA2 worth finishing? I have started it easily 5 times but never get beyond 15-20 hours in.

I've played DA2 twice to completion, while I played DA:O 4 times and have started a 5th. Take that as you will. The Dragon Age Keep website will allow you to essentially create your own playthrough of DA2 in a matter of minutes if you don't want to bother actually playing it through to completion. DAI will no doubt have a little recap at the beginning to bring people up to speed on the past two games anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa:

If you are having that much trouble with it, I would say no. The game only gets weaker over a playthrough

If you are interested in the story you can just look it up. If you are going to get DA:I, and want to import your DAO/DA2 world, they are using a save maker so its not a problem if you dont finish 2

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age the first is a really good game. I broke down in tears at the ending. YMMV as the ending depends on decisions you make in the game.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snagged my copy already. Never got a chance to play it on Xbox 360, but maybe now I can find the time on PC.

Tychoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Tychoid

I am cautiously Optimistic about DA:I. Definitely not preordering. Waitin' for dem reviews. If my predictions that stand now end up being true, I would buy DA:I over Witcher 3. Witcher 2 had maybe the best feeling of environment of any fantasy game ever, but was otherwise a mess of a game. Even with the DA2 bungle, I think Bioware/EA has it in them to turn that franchise back into something special. I don't think Witcher 3 will fix many problems its predecessor had. All just an educated guess on my part, of course.

DA:O remains in my top 10 of all time list for games. Its in there with the likes of the Mass Effect series. Maybe even outranks them

DA2 was a disappointment, but it still had a few really good things going for it. Some characters and their interactions I found genuinely interesting. Pretty decent plot twists, mini-plot twists, and global political intrigue towards the end. Even part of the weird half meandering story that was there was pretty good. Seems like a pretty good setup for DA:I if they can make the world and gameplay interesting again.

I generally don't replay even my favorite games unless they're really short (Castlevania/Metroid/Etc) I might be able to slog through a 3rd playthrough of DA;O. Don't know if I could do a 2nd run of DA2 though.

GweedyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just almost bought this on steam. Glad I did not.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool that PC kinda has the PSN style of monthly free games but without needing to pay an yearly fee

dogdays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meant to buy this for ages and just plain forgot each time. And now it's free! Thanks, EA! :)

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Origin - a quality software that somehow manages to take 95% of my CPU power when it is downloading a single game and doing nothing else. Yeah, considering the price of electricity, I think I'll pass this one.

Even if that is no exaggeration, how long does it take you to download a game and how often do you see yourself getting Origin games in the future? If what you are saying is true, and it takes you three full days to download DAO with a 56K modem, you are out what...50 cents? That is assuming your computer would not have been in use for those three days if not for the Origin download, otherwise the download itself is hitting your wallet even less.

Electricity thing is exaggeration, but CPU load is real problem. It actually hits ~95% for few minutes and the settles around 40% - meaning that downloading DA:O might take more CPU power than playing it. Also this means that working on a computer and doing something like Photoshopping is made more frustrating by a badly designed program (google "origin cpu usage"). Free stuff is nice, but Origin still sucks.

Steam and Origin doing same thing - being idle and downloading. Steam is now way greatly optimized but compared to Origin it light years better. Origin actually takes more CPU power downloading a game than Photoshop takes handling a 16-bit dslr raw-files.
    Steam and Origin doing same thing - being idle and downloading. Steam is now way greatly optimized but compared to Origin it light years better. Origin actually takes more CPU power downloading a game than Photoshop takes handling a 16-bit dslr raw-files.

illrepute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By illrepute

I completed pretty much everything in the ultimate edition on 360 years ago and will never reach the end of this thing a second time, but I'm looking forward to messing around a bit for nostalgia's sake!

It's missing the Shale DLC (cut) content, what a crock of shit.

A bit late on the reply, but I downloaded the game earlier and the Shale content is included. Even if it wasn't it can be had for free from the Bioware site along with the rest of the promotional bonuses.

DarkBloodLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet! I have never actually played a Dragon Age game. So I suppose that this is a better time then ever to actually give it a shot. Now I just have to download Origin, I guess. Bejeweled 3 is also free. I guess thanks EA? Thanks to Mr. Klepek for the heads up!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FREE IS A BIT HIGH FOR THIS GAME, I'LL WAIT UNTIL THE SUMMER SALE WHEN IT'S INEVITABLY -$10.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Considering there have been sales where you can get the whole Origins package -- DLC and all -- for $10-$20, I can't imagine who wouldn't have this already who would want to play a 40 hour RPG.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

These days I just log into Origin to grab the current free game, play some Peggle (original) then log out again. When BioWare get around to their Mass Effect sequel I'm sure it'll be Origin exclusive, sadly.

There's nothing overly terrible about Origin these days, it's just its a pointless bit of software. One of the good things was I was able to use some old game discs for things like SimCity 4 to use the game codes to redeem digital versions.

BigD145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free*

*with installation of an always on service

Retodd1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original DA is awesome. Totally worth the new retail $50 i originally paid at release and the $5 I spent for the deluxe edition with all the DLC on steam. Pick it up if you can abide origin.

DA 2 is terribad, borrowed it from a friend and couldn't even get through the intro. Free game and it wasn't worth the time to play it

Uberdubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Uberdubie

SUCH a good game. Although literally everyone I know that would've wanted to play this by now, has played it. But if you haven't (and you already have Origin infesting your PC), I'd recommend this to anyone.

@2headedninja said:

@tuxfool said:

@futurstock: hah, I can't even do that. It simply refuses to send me the emails.

Screw it, I'm doing myself a favour by keeping my PC Origin free.

if something works for 95% of users it's likely that the fault for the other 5% is on the side of the user, not the software.

Pulling completely fictitious figures out of your butt (95%) in hopes to win people over isn't doing you any favors (in fact in only makes the argument in favor of Origin look weaker). Origin was a nightmare for me to use, mostly because it was doing some extremely disturbing shit while I chose to monitor where all my bandwidth was going (which I had no option to turn off, and was never asked permission if it could read my personal data on my PC). I realize their user agreement does loosely "admit" these creepy behaviors to an extent, but like 95% of people out there (see what I did there?) I didn't read it until it was too late. And Origin's methods of violating privacy far outweigh what Steam is permitted to do. Those who "white knight" for Origin and weren't aware of this, it's fairly easy to research. You'll be better for it.

In addition to my bandwidth, after the fact it was also hogging system resources to an intolerable degree, it felt quite good to completely remove Origin and never look back (fortunately I got a new PC after that as well). Futurstock, good on you for keeping your PC clean.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can literally see the DA:O disc from where I'm sitting, and this still would have been a tempting offer, even with Origin involved, if it came with Awakenings, which I never played. But looking at the store the expansion is still $19.99, so I'm good. I'll just await Inquisition with hope in my heart.

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

I seriously don't get the origin hate. If i is using 90% of your memory to download a game how much memory you got? 2 gig? It is no more intrusive than steam is and while the UI is a little worse.... who really cares? Or are you telling me you look at a third party out of game UI tons of the time when playing video games?

Time to stop beating a dead horse, it was pretty over the top to start with, years down the road after Origin has more than worked out it's worst kinks it is just plain silly.

I'll always stick to Steam, just because their library is so much bigger and whatnot, but...

...and don't tell anyone I said this...

Origin is leagues ahead of Steam in design and usability in every way, from their front-end to their customer service. Across the board, it's a better, less-bloated, program.

I have to disagree so much on the usability front. I got around 7-10 games on Origin. Not 1 game that i played didn't require me do those stuff like messing with the gamefiles or start deleting stuff just to get it running. It has been a total nightmare on the scale of GFWL for me.

sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't argue with free shit.

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Wolf3

Thanks Patrick! Sadly, I discovered I already own TWO copies of this (on PC). So...this is my third LOL.

I've yet to play this or 2, and not sure if they're connected, if I could get away with playing 2 first...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@assirra: Really? Origin installs have always been buttery-smooth for me. One thing that bugs me about Steam is that it still has to install DirectX and configure a bunch of shit when a game starts up, but Origin rolls all of that into the installation, and you can agree to like 30 EULAs with the click of one button. It's awesome.

Steam does still have faster downloads, though, at least for me.

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetz said:

@dayoneadvantage said:

Not sure why people still talk shit about Origin.

Are there really that many people actually doing that anymore? There certainly aren't in this specific comment thread.

Even back in the day, there wasn't too much hate about the client itself. Rather the problem is that we were forced to use it for new EA games and who wants to bother with maintaining another login and running another client when we were all already using Steam? Why can't we just buy and play the games through the client we were comfortable with? (Answer: Because Valve and EA had a pissing match about control over selling DLC). Origin isn't bad, but Steam wins simply by nature of being first and entrenched.

That said, while the client is fine, I feel EA has negatively exploited Origin exclusivity for their games more than Valve has exploited Steam exclusivity. Prime example is that because Origin is the only means through which you can buy DLC for newer EA PC games, they rarely or even never discount DLC. Mass Effect 3 DLC for example, has never gone on sale even though the game itself has been on sale multiple times. It still costs you $40 if you want just the the story based DLCs for that game.

I think if EA want their platform to be taken seriously they have to withhold content from Steam to get people to start to use Origin. I don't see anything wrong with that, it's entirely up to them. In fact, for those who were there at the grand launch of Half-life 2, that's exactly what Valve did. You could only play Half-life 2 by installing Steam. Not only that, you had to have an Internet connection to register Steam before Half-life 2 would even play (you could put Steam into an offline mode but only after you did the initial registration).

I also don't see an awful lot of Valve games for sale on Origin either so saying EA are using exploitative practices to gain a user-base for their platform while maintaining Valve are innocent of such practices is entirely unfair.

I also can't remember ever getting a game totally free through Steam like this.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird how everytime EA is giving away games I already own them.

Weird how there is only like 10 games on origin...

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By teh_destroyer

I remember the ql for this game.

Vinny " She is using her ipad." lmao!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Ea must be very desperate to push Origin on to people. Most people are going to download DAO, beat it and remove origin from their PC. That's what I did last time they made me download Mass Effect 2 through Origin.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowestformofwit: left 4 dead 2, TF2 and Portal come to mind (but I think portal was only on mac?)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.