Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Finally beat Origins

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Ok I have had this game since launch on PC and only since 5 days ago I have thrown mega hours into it and beat it a few mins ago. 

I must say the early parts of the game can put people off very easily, but it gets fucking amazing later on. 

Anyone think Awakening is worth it? I am super into this game now and want to know what else happens :D

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

i just bought it off a friend and beat it in a few days. (the 360 version, unfortunately, my PC can't run games). i feel a lot of the way you did, so i bought the cheapest dlc (return to ostagar). it was pretty weak compared to the main story, but i'm still considering picking up awakening, if i can find someone to sell it to me

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " i just bought it off a friend and beat it in a few days. (the 360 version, unfortunately, my PC can't run games). i feel a lot of the way you did, so i bought the cheapest dlc (return to ostagar). it was pretty weak compared to the main story, but i'm still considering picking up awakening, if i can find someone to sell it to me "
    You should also consider Warden's Keep, it has a great story and unlocks one of the best swords in the game.
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think its a great addition to the full game but Idk if $40 is worth it. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

it's definitely not worth it; I got it at 20$ from a EAStore deal and it was barely worth that.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Laketown said:
    " it's definitely not worth it; I got it at 20$ from a EAStore deal and it was barely worth that. "
    I can get it for $15. 

Does it add much to the main story? Don't spoil anything here.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " it's definitely not worth it; I got it at 20$ from a EAStore deal and it was barely worth that. "
    I can get it for $15.  Does it add much to the main story? Don't spoil anything here. "
    I mean, you see the other characters and one of them returns to your party, and I guess it adds a bit to the main story, but the character interactions (one of the best parts of the other game) is cut down. You can't really have conversations with your characters at your "campsite" really.

but 15? get it anyways. Also remember that it is easier than the main game.
    Gangstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Gangstar

(spoiler but its been out forever )
    I was totally put off by the dragon fight at the end. (On normal) lt was so impossibly hard with what I had going- I finally wimped out and slapped it down to easy to be done with it. Then I chose to sacrifice myself, over Alistair, to be the greatest fucking hero of all time, only to be rewarded with some weak-ass text explanation of things I affected in the game (nothing resulting in shit cooler than my direct involvement). My first playthrough of the game was curbstomped by that ending. 

Since then I've started many characters, enjoying the different origin stories, and spent a lot of time levelling and playing in completely different ways. I didn't appreciate the writing and gigantic possibilities in the game until multiple playthroughs in. And combat on hard is so much more thought-provoking and challenging. I fucking love the game now. 

Anyway, I have the same question if Awakening is worth it. What's with starting a totally different character? Could their origin story possibly be as cool as the other characters I've already poured my heart into? $40 is a lot to drop on an expansion (which has a loose definition with DLC). 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Gangstar said:
    "  (spoiler but its been out forever )I was totally put off by the dragon fight at the end. (On normal) lt was so impossibly hard with what I had going- I finally wimped out and slapped it down to easy to be done with it. Then I chose to sacrifice myself, over Alistair, to be the greatest fucking hero of all time, only to be rewarded with some weak-ass text explanation of things I affected in the game (nothing resulting in shit cooler than my direct involvement). My first playthrough of the game was curbstomped by that ending.  Since then I've started many characters, enjoying the different origin stories, and spent a lot of time levelling and playing in completely different ways. I didn't appreciate the writing and gigantic possibilities in the game until multiple playthroughs in. And combat on hard is so much more thought-provoking and challenging. I fucking love the game now.  Anyway, I have the same question if Awakening is worth it. What's with starting a totally different character? Could their origin story possibly be as cool as the other characters I've already poured my heart into? $40 is a lot to drop on an expansion (which has a loose definition with DLC).  "
    Dude you should have allowed Morrigan to have your child, then no one would have died killing the dragon.
    Gangstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gangstar
    @sodiumCyclops: dude I don't need no baby mama
    Gangstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gangstar

Also I had to double check the xbox marketplace price since you guys were shouting 15. Awakening is still 40. What the fuck

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Gangstar: Buying from a local online retailer.
    flora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By flora

I played Awakening and will not play it again. You can try but expansion is not worth of it.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Semition

It's ok. If you're going to play it, I recommend you knock up the difficulty in Awakenings because some of the new skills make the game really easy.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shakra

I thought it was worthy of an expansion, I put another 25 hours into it. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By armaan8014
    @sodiumCyclops said:

" I must say the early parts of the game can put people off very easily, but it gets fucking amazing later on.   "

That's very true. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the game and all it's parts, I can see people getting bored a little early on. The end is just amazing. 

Also, since you finished and loved the game, you might like the fan vids I made for it as a tribute  (inside spoiler tag as vid contains spoilers)

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I recently go the Return To Ostagar and Darkspawn Chronicals. 

RtO was pretty awesome, not really diggin DC though.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ryno9881

@Gangstar said:
    "  (spoiler but its been out forever )I was totally put off by the dragon fight at the end. (On normal) lt was so impossibly hard with what I had going- I finally wimped out and slapped it down to easy to be done with it. Then I chose to sacrifice myself, over Alistair, to be the greatest fucking hero of all time, only to be rewarded with some weak-ass text explanation of things I affected in the game (nothing resulting in shit cooler than my direct involvement). My first playthrough of the game was curbstomped by that ending.  

First, this is exactly what happened to me. Second, the third sentence had me laughing extremely loud for about 5 minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.