Game wasn't too hard - until now....

#1 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

So, I've gotten through Dragon Age without a ton of frustration - there were some areas that required a couple of tries but I was able to get through them. Now however, I'm uncertain I'll be able to finish the game. I'm at the Arch-dragon and I'm about to pull my hair out. What's most frustrating is I can get him about 3/4 of the way down in health, but by then, I'm usually down to 1 or 2 party members and I get overwhelmed by the Darkspawn that are endlessly summmoned. I utilize the armies as best i can but I just can't seem to make it through. I've probably tried the battle a dozen times now and I just don't know if I can go on... blurg....

#2 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -
@ztiworoh: what party members do you have?
#3 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

If you have a rogue whos maxed on his/her lockpicking skills, it'll be a sight less easier to get through. That way you can just keep using the ballista's on it. Best to have your party members AI behaviour set to cautious aswell so they'll always stick by you, while letting (what I prefer) your dwarven army distract the archdemon and co.

#4 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

Morrigan, Allistair and Leliana. And my character is an Arcane Warrior/Mage

#5 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -
@ztiworoh: well set one of your mages to heal every one, another to ranged attack,allistar should be able to go in and tear up the dragon no prob, and lastly as  Abyssfull  said use the dwarves to handle the dark spawn.
#6 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

Most of the Dragons (including the Arch-Demon) can be killed (slowly) with a tank keeping the beast in one spot and have an all-ranged set up. Heals focused on the tank.

#7 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I had trouble as well, but was able to keep the respawning Darkspawn at bay using the dwarven allies.

#8 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
"

If you have a rogue whos maxed on his/her lockpicking skills, it'll be a sight less easier to get through. 

"
Why would he want it less easy?
#9 Posted by Slippery (103 posts) -

I used the mages for their damage, but I had Alistair, Shale and my 2h warrior in the fray with Wynne healing so it wasn't to hard to deal with adds.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" @Abyssfull said:
"

If you have a rogue whos maxed on his/her lockpicking skills, it'll be a sight less easier to get through. 

"
Why would he want it less easy? "

Because I'm an evil son ofa bitch who wants him to suffer, that's why! Or rather because i miss-worded my sentence.
#11 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -
@ztiworoh said:
" Morrigan, Allistair and Leliana. And my character is an Arcane Warrior/Mage "
That's exactly the build I used for my second playthrough. My Mage also doubled as my healer, and on the normal difficulty setting I beat the Archdemon on my first attempt. I found that the key is using Leliana as the ballista operator, since her ranged attacks are slightly less powerful than the blows of the ballista (hopefully she buffing your party with her Bard special abilities). Also, if Morrigan has a top tier elemental attack (such as Inferno or Blizzard), when the Archdemon separates himself from the battle and just sits on the island that's out of range, just get Morrigan close enough and continually use these attacks on him - this will help chip away at his health. Then when the Archdemon is down to 1/4 health, focus your fire on the darkspawn, not on the Archdemon, but make sure Morrigan is using attacks that will tackle the Archdemon as well as the darkspawn - again, Inferno or Blizzard are god sends.

However, if you're really struggling with the battle, I recommend loading a previous save, make sure you're completely happy with your character builds, find ways to make a few more sovereigns so you can buy tons of high level lyrium and health potions (lower level ones are no good - by the time the character has finished the drinking animation they usually get attacked and you're back to square one), and try and get through the early stages using as few of the army allies as possible. I managed to get through the early stages only using the Golems I acquired from Branka, and by the time the Archdemon lay slain, I hadn't even used the Wolverines I got from the Lady of the Forest.

Best of luck, duder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.