Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Got this game for xmas and it wont install!

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Black_Raven

I just got this game today and I was excited to finally get to play it, but what happens? The install fucks up and I get an error, it seems there is a corrupt file and the installation stops whenever it tries to extract it. I've searched for a solution and all of them have failed. The install only just begins when it gets the error so I have no idea if there are any other damaged files on the disk. I've checked to see if the actual disk is damaged and it's not, no scratches or dirt. 

In the log file the installation creates here is where things go wrong. . . 
    1 6:37:51 2009] Extracting: /Language en /progresspercent 1450 /settotalK 2300569 'Z:\data\core.rar' 'C:\Program Files\Dragon Age' 
    [Friday Dec 25 16:39:11 2009] Rar error: error 12 RAR process file failed: File CRC error

[Friday Dec 25 16:39:11 2009] Rar Details:  A Data error occured.
    [Friday Dec 25 16:39:11 2009] Abort Install Called, rolling back install.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so were you able to fix it? Would I be able to take this back to EB and ask for a new disk? I've read that a lot of people ended up doing that because there was no way to fix this.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Darkstar614

I heard something about this.. It's a bummer that you don't have the steam version where this bug doesn't exist.

Something with the rar files on the disc, the CRC is screwed up on them and they won't extract via the installer. I think someone said that they managed to repack them and extract the files manually or something but I didn't really look further into it. Try punching all that Error log stuff into Google and see what you can come up with.

In the mean time try this, I don't know if it's the same problem but you never know what works.

http://help.dragonage.com/cgi-bin/eadragonage.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?&p_faqid=23948

Omerta19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Omerta19

Well First off you did not mention the title of the game.. I had to figure it out through the error code.    Dragon Age I am Assuming?   Do not own the game so do not have any experience with problems with that game...  Do a DxDiag and see if your computer is capable..    Ive never seen a rar error on a normal install.  Are you trying this on a typical install or manual/Custom install?

Omerta19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Omerta19

Oh wow thanx for pointing that out.. lol i feel dumb maybe cause I am.. lol  I only saw this post in the forum highlights on the main page haha.  Didnt think to see what board it was on.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By webby

I haven't had this problem so I don't know. But have you tried extracting the rar file.  
    Z:\data\core.rar . Install WinRAR if you don't already have it and well it looks like its trying to extract to  C:\Program Files\Dragon Age.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

This happened to me before. You could always download a pirated version of the game. I know how it sounds, but hear me out. Those usually work flawlessly, and since you already bought it, you could just use your official keycode or whatever and then ta-da! Sometimes these pirate dudes do something right. I mean didn't Ubisoft once use a crack as an "official patch" once?

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Raven
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " I heard something about this.. It's a bummer that you don't have the steam version where this bug doesn't exist.

Something with the rar files on the disc, the CRC is screwed up on them and they won't extract via the installer. I think someone said that they managed to repack them and extract the files manually or something but I didn't really look further into it. Try punching all that Error log stuff into Google and see what you can come up with.

In the mean time try this, I don't know if it's the same problem but you never know what works.

http://help.dragonage.com/cgi-bin/eadragonage.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?&p_faqid=23948 "
    I've already tried that and it still wont work, thanks for the help though guys, looks like I'm going to need to get it replaced.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB
    @myketuna said:

" This happened to me before. You could always download a pirated version of the game. I know how it sounds, but hear me out. Those usually work flawlessly, and since you already bought it, you could just use your official keycode or whatever and then ta-da! Sometimes these pirate dudes do something right. I mean didn't Ubisoft once use a crack as an "official patch" once? "

And then you'll receive a notice from their legal team because they think you're trying to steal it.

That's a pretty crazy bug. I would try what @Darkstar614 said, if you haven't already. Failing that, try the Dragon Age forums.
    Edit: nevermind. Give it a search on the forums, though. I know I had a problem with a corrupt file awhile back, but I had the Steam version, which just verified and fixed itself.
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black_Raven
    @myketuna said:
    " This happened to me before. You could always download a pirated version of the game. I know how it sounds, but hear me out. Those usually work flawlessly, and since you already bought it, you could just use your official keycode or whatever and then ta-da! Sometimes these pirate dudes do something right. I mean didn't Ubisoft once use a crack as an "official patch" once? "
    I've thought about doing that but brordband is really limited in my country and downloading a large game like Dragon Age would use up a huge chunk of my monthly bandwidth. 

@Webby said:
    " I haven't had this problem so I don't know. But have you tried extracting the rar file.  Z:\data\core.rar . Install WinRAR if you don't already have it and well it looks like its trying to extract to  C:\Program Files\Dragon Age. "
    I've tried that and extracting the files manually doesn't work either.
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By myke_tuna
    @AndrewB: lol. Yeah, that's true. But when worse comes to worse...

@Black_Raven:  Man, that sucks. I'm not sure what else you could try. Another thing you could do is do some kind of mash between my idea and AndrewB's. Go to the official forums and ask someone for the file(s) that is messing up, already extracted or extracted and then repacked by them. Then you download it and try it that way.
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Black_Raven

I've found the receipt so it's not a big deal, I plan on going down to EB tomorrow to get a new copy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.