How's the 360's version of dragon age origins

#1 Posted by cky4890 (95 posts) -

After spending 100 odd hours of skyrim I was thinking of buying dragon age for the Xbox just wanted to know how it runs on the 360. I don't have a pc to runn it and I just wanted to know, thanks in advance

#2 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

It's great... as long as you never touched the PC version before or read about PC mods for it.

...nah. Who am I kidding. The controls are janky as hell. Dual analog controllers weren't meant for that type of game.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@cky4890 said:
After spending 100 odd hours of skyrim I was thinking of buying dragon age for the Xbox just wanted to know how it runs on the 360. I don't have a pc to runn it and I just wanted to know, thanks in advance
Why not look at the quick look they did? I played the PS3 version and the controls felt fine. I just got distracted with school work so I never got to finish it. Got maybe 10 hours in. 
#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4658 posts) -

The console version play alright. Not ideal but doable.

#5 Edited by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

It's pretty janky. No tactically paused combat, either. If you're going to buy that game, get it on PC. Although, be warned: it is NOTHING at all like Skyrim gameplay wise, if that's what you're thinking.

#6 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

Might as well play it on consoles if you are absolutely sure you will never play the PC version.

If there is a slight chance you might play the PC version someday, I suggest you wait.

#7 Posted by rynbeed (143 posts) -
@cky4890 did you play Sjyrim on the PC? Cause that would be way more taxing then DA:O..

Either one plays great, and to the strengths of whatever platform your on. From what I remember of my playthroughs the 360 version felt more actiony, while the PC felt more like Baldur's Gate.

IMO you can't go wrong with either or.
#8 Edited by heatDrive88 (2178 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

It's pretty janky. No tactically paused combat, either.

I'm fairly certain that is not true. If my memory serves me right, you can pause the combat much like you can in Mass Effect when selecting an ability or directing an ally to perform an action for multiple characters.

I think more true of a statement is to say you should play on PC if you wish to have the classic experience for that type of RPG. However, if you don't have the means to play it on PC for whatever reason, the Xbox 360 version is completely serviceable on it's own. Dragon Age 2 is quite rough with the requirement to hit A for every attack, but Dragon Age Origins fares better since there is auto-attack.

#9 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

It's perfectly serviceable. I played it on both and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the console version. Does the PC version play and look better? Yes. But is it still an utterly jaw dropping experience on the Xbox? Yes. The game runs smoothly and everything is still in there, it's just handled in a different manner (i.e. with a game pad) and does so surprisingly well for the lack of buttons available.

#10 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5121 posts) -

I played through twice on the 360 and don't remember running into any issues with the controls or anything like that.

#11 Edited by PolygonSlayer (416 posts) -

I sinked about 120 hours into Origins and Awakening on the PS3. Perfectly playable version and from what I remember hearing back then was that the 360 version was the same, but with somewhat steadier framerate, but a tiny bit blurrier textures. It's not a fantastically pretty game to start with, so I wouldn't worry about it. There are small things you will miss if your used to playing like Baldur's Gate on PC etc, but nothing that will ruin what is in my opinion probably one of the best RPGs of this generation :)

Having said that, it is probably better to get the PC version if that is an option for you (personally if I'm to replay it I will buy it on Steam since now I have a good enough PC to play it).

(oh... and stay faaar away from DA2, I try and erase my memory of that horrid experience).

Edit: and you can defo pause the console version, move around and assign orders to your team etc like in the PC version, but that part is a bit more clunky on console for sure, but not at all horrible and works fine, just a bit slower that just clicking icons on screen.

#12 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

I played through the game on 360 about a year before I got the Ultimate Edition on PC. It's fine, especially if you have no reference to the PC version, which looks and plays 100% better. But I'd say get it on 360 if you have nothing else to play it on. It's a fantastic game. Just be sure to install the disc.

#13 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

@heatDrive88 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

I'm fairly certain that is not true. If my memory serves me right, you can pause the combat much like you can in Mass Effect when selecting an ability or directing an ally to perform an action for multiple characters.

I think more true of a statement is to say you should play on PC if you wish to have the classic experience for that type of RPG. However, if you don't have the means to play it on PC for whatever reason, the Xbox 360 version is completely serviceable on it's own. Dragon Age 2 is quite rough with the requirement to hit A for every attack, but Dragon Age Origins fares better since there is auto-attack.

And yes you are right, when you press down on the left trigger to bring up the radial menu where many commands are issued from, the game does pause.

#14 Posted by UlquioKani (935 posts) -

One of my favourite games ever and I have only played it on the 360 so there is your answer. I didn't feel like I was missing out on something even after seeing the PC version

#15 Posted by heatDrive88 (2178 posts) -

@Donkeycow said:

@heatDrive88 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

And yes you are right, when you press down on the left trigger to bring up the radial menu where many commands are issued from, the game does pause.

On top of this i believe there was also an option to change that pause from being a 'press and hold' to being an actual toggle, in the case you need to stop and think a bit without holding onto a button the entire time while you sort out your actions.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (13907 posts) -

It plays just fine. It was my first experience with Dragon Age and it still managed to become on of my favorite franchises in spite of playing the console version.

#17 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

@heatDrive88 said:

@Donkeycow said:

@heatDrive88 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

On top of this i believe there was also an option to change that pause from being a 'press and hold' to being an actual toggle, in the case you need to stop and think a bit without holding onto a button the entire time while you sort out your actions.

Right, I forgot about that. However, if I remember right, you cannot issue multiple commands for multiple characters without jumping in and out of real time to do so (that is, you can't say "do this, Alistair" then say "do this, Morrigan" without unpausing).

#18 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

Rented the Xbox 360 version a while back and it played fine, but beat it on PS3 and while they both have similar limitations, and are clunky in their own ways, they are totally playable. If you absolutely cannot play them it on PC, I see no reason why you shouldn't pick it up on your console of choice.

#19 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4859 posts) -

PC is ideal but there's no problem with playing it on the consoles.

#20 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

PC is the best for reasons stated before.

PS3: Better graphics than the 360, but annoying framerate. This is the version I have.

360: Worse graphics than the PS3, but better framerate. In retrospect, I should have gone with this version. However, now that I have a powerful PC, I bought it on sale from Origin and sold my PS3 copy.

#21 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

I recommend going dual bladed warrior on it. If you stack a bunch of haste spells on yourself and some damage boosters, you literally become a human wood chipper. No, I am not kidding. Anyone who has done it knows what I am talking about!

#22 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11 said:

It's great... as long as you never touched the PC version before or read about PC mods for it.

...nah. Who am I kidding. The controls are janky as hell. Dual analog controllers weren't meant for that type of game.

I played it on 360 originally and it was still my favorite game of all time. It plays the same, yes the controls aren't ideal but it's a fantastic option. The controls are fine, and aren't much of an issue in a game where you can pause the action at any time. It's almost as well made for consoles as it could possibly be without changing the mechanics.

The game runs fine, plays great, and is ABSOLUTELY worth playing. It's an amazing RPG and you should certainly play it, even on 360 or PS3 it's an amazing game.

And I have since then purchased a gaming rig, and am actually replaying it again, and even though the PC version is FANTASTIC barring a few REAL shitty textures, it's not the required way tot play the game. PC is awesome, but on 360 it'll treat you great. If it doesn't that's more a fault of the game than the controls or performance.

If you can stand to play as much Skyrim as that despite the way the controls work with things like sprinting and horses, you'll be fine with DA on 360. It has a better framerate generally and is an awesome game. My only advice is to make the pausing a toggle, not a hold. And don't be afraid of higher difficulties, that game shines on the hardest difficulty, even on a controller. It's super engaging, but challenging. And you should really do the

first. It's not a spoiler, but if you don't want the advice, don't look. But it's where you get the healer, so really, you should go there immediately after gaining freedom to travel the continent. And always have a healer in the party. Always. It makes the game much more interesting and is pretty much required to enjoy the harder difficulties.

Save like you saved in Skyrim: frequently and manually. It's a Bioware game, which means piss poor autosaving.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11060 posts) -

@heatDrive88 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

That. By a long shot. I've played both, and while I agree that the PC version is probably the best one, the console version isn't a slouch at all. It's pretty good, actually, though it must be noted that the console version feels more action oriented and the PC version is much more slanted toward a tactical pause-and-play gamestyle.

Two more things should also be noted. The first is that the graphics, at least on the console version, are not that great. They're serviceable, but they're not exactly a looker. The PC version isn't really that great looking either, just from seeing screenshots and videos. The second is that this game IS NOT SKYRIM. I can't restate that enough - this game is not at all like Skyrim and you do not get the same experience from it at all. It is a Bioware RPG, which is vastly different than a Bethesda RPG.

Quick hint: Download the demo of Dragon Age 2 onto your PC. It's a horrible game, judging from playing the demo, and not at all representative of its predecessor; however, if DA2 runs well on your computer then DAO should also run on it. Just a thought.

Quick Hint Dos: Watch the Quick Looks for both the PC and console versions.

#24 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (417 posts) -

I played it and really enjoyed it, I thought it was a great experience but I never played most of the DLC. I managed to beat it on the hardest difficulty (except for one part) so the controls worked well for me. I can't imagine it being very expensive, I thought it was worth buying when it came out so, there's always the Quick Look, but I suggest the game.

#25 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

@Robot_Sneakers said:

I played it and really enjoyed it, I thought it was a great experience but I never played most of the DLC. I managed to beat it on the hardest difficulty (except for one part) so the controls worked well for me. I can't imagine it being very expensive, I thought it was worth buying when it came out so, there's always the Quick Look, but I suggest the game.

The dlc was mostly meh, but anyone who enjoyed it should play the Awakening expansion

#26 Posted by NegativeCero (2928 posts) -

It's fine. I stopped trying to plan out fights and brute forced it with my overpowered Arcane Warrior. Although I broke the game, it's very satisfying to destroy an entire group of enemies on my own after my party members had died.

#27 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@heatDrive88 said:

@Donkeycow said:

@heatDrive88 said:

@BaneFireLord said:

Right, I forgot about that. However, if I remember right, you cannot issue multiple commands for multiple characters without jumping in and out of real time to do so (that is, you can't say "do this, Alistair" then say "do this, Morrigan" without unpausing).

No, you totally can. There is no issue with the pausing, it's just that it can feel clunky dealing with the radial menu. All in all i'd say it works well enough.

#28 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

The PC version was not for me, but I could see why people liked it. The 360 version (which I played first) made me want to stab kittens.

#29 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

@Donkeycow said:

No, you totally can. There is no issue with the pausing, it's just that it can feel clunky dealing with the radial menu. All in all i'd say it works well enough.

Really? Huh. I never figured out how to do that. Maybe I should give the game another shot, because that was really holding me up.

#30 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@cky4890 said:
Why not look at the quick look they did? I played the PS3 version and the controls felt fine. I just got distracted with school work so I never got to finish it. Got maybe 10 hours in.

It plays just fine with a controller, but don't delude yourself into thinking this is anything like Skyrim. They couldn't be more different. The fantasy setting is about the only thing they share. That being said, I think Dragon Age: Origins is a superior game.

#31 Posted by fox01313 (5034 posts) -

Remember trying the first Dragon Age both with the PC then with the 360. Thought that the PC version handled much better with the keyboard/mouse. If you're looking for a fantasy rpg, there's others out there (admittedly not as fun as skyrim like two worlds 2 but it'll take time to finish & controls are closer to skyrim than dragon age is). If going on the 360 for Dragon Age, definitely hunt for a demo/rental first.

#32 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I played through twice on the 360 and don't remember running into any issues with the controls or anything like that.

RIght... the controls are fine for the limitations of the 360 interface. The point being made is that the besides the thousands of Mods available for the game the PC has a superior control system for that game. For people like you that have played through it twice on 360 you are like a man who has never eaten at a restaurant other than McDonalds before. You simply don't know any better. Which is fine for the TC. I'm saying if he reads about or plays the PC version he is going to be left thinking about how inferior his version of the game is.

#33 Posted by NTM (7035 posts) -

As great as Dragon Age: Origins is, I would definitely think twice before purchasing that game. There's not really anything to look forward to after it, and for you, it's on the consoles. Now, I guess I shouldn't be saying that 'cause I haven't played the sequel, and I haven't played a console version of Origins, but from everything that I hear, there's really no point in playing Origins right now.

#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11035 posts) -

@NTM said:

As great as Dragon Age: Origins is, I would definitely think twice before purchasing that game. There's not really anything to look forward to after it, and for you, it's on the consoles. Now, I guess I shouldn't be saying that 'cause I haven't played the sequel, and I haven't played a console version of Origins, but from everything that I hear, there's really no point in playing Origins right now.

What about the part where it's a great game...? Sure, Dragon Age II is kinda bad, but that doesn't reflect poorly on the first game. It's like saying that you shouldn't play Deus Ex because Deus Ex Invisible War was a steaming pile of garbage. It's not like it ends of a cliffhanger or anything. Just play Origins and its expansion and enjoy yourself for a good 50+ hours.

To answer the question at hand, the 360 version is perfectly competent and it controls perfectly fine. It was how I played the game and I gave it my Game of the Year that year. Having recently obtained the PC version for $13 (along with Dragon Age II, which I will consider to be a "bonus" of sorts) I can say with certainty that that is easily the best version, but if you don't have a decent PC the console versions will suffice.

#35 Posted by Donkeycow (552 posts) -

@NTM said:

That is a null point. A) The game is like 20 bucks now tops when purchased new. B) It's 50+ hours of wonderfulness in a box. Also what does it matter that the sequel is poor? Origins is a complete story on its own and doesn't require a sequel (although a proper sequel would be nice, Dragon Age: Origins 2 over Dragon Age 3 any day.) Anyone who enjoys RPG's and has not played Origins is doing themself a disservice and should remedy that immediately.

#36 Posted by HistoryInRust (6221 posts) -

It's Knights of the Old Republic, basically. So if you've played that you know what you're in for.

#37 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

It's fine.

#38 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

@mosdl: I dunno, I thought that the Lelianna origin DLC was cool and that alternate final battle DLC had its moments. Although that golems of something something was atrocious. :s

#39 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -

@cky4890 said:

You can get the Ultimate Edition new for $19, just do it.

#40 Posted by cky4890 (95 posts) -

Thanks everyone I just ordered it and I know dao is nothing like skyrim but that's all I've been playing for the past couple months haven't had any money to get newer games. Also been playing castlevania Los and let me tell you Fuck That clunky ass game sry and thank you

#41 Edited by bunji (41 posts) -

It's perfectly fine. And yes, it does have tactical combat-pausing. I've played TONS of DA:O on both xbox and ps3 (xbox has the upper hand, due to extra sluggish fps on the ps3). I played it once on xbox, twice on ps3 (with awakening expansion). I ended up with the PS3 version, since I sold my xbox, because it was collecting dust.

I've only dabbled a bit with the PC-version, but yes, the game is better on pc - but it is by no means a bad game on the consoles - far from!

if however you into the open world feel of Skyrim, DA:O will feel very limited in terms of freedom. Not in a way that it's a small game, but rather that theres always a path to follow.

#42 Edited by Tonic7 (238 posts) -

I played a mage on the PC version and I cannot imagine managing all of those abilities via the radial menu and dual analog stick controls. That having been said, I'm sure it's possible, and you should really experience that game through whatever means are available to you. Perhaps roll a somewhat simpler class and just set up one of the side characters to be a crowd control/healing-type mage that you don't have to micromanage?

I'd say that even if your PCs specs are on the lower end of the recommendations (mine certainly were), try it there first...there will be a few graphical/frame rate hiccups, but it will be worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.