Is awakening an important addition to DAO?

#1 Posted by super2j (1797 posts) -

I see awakening expansion for 9$, and i have origins by itself, which I have yet to play. I really dont want to spend 20$ later if i fall deep into loving the game or if it adds something to the original game that I would appreciate. how important is it that I should have awakening?

#2 Posted by Zella (827 posts) -

Story wise it's not important really, though if you enjoy Origins it's a good expansion. It's only semi-important in terms of story when it comes to Dragon Age 2 and even then it's not crucial at all.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (22571 posts) -

For that price, definitely. It's a little short by comparison to Origins--only took me around 13 hours to 100% it completely--but it's got a super interesting story that delves into the backstory behind the Darkspawn as a race. Ending's terribly abrupt, though.

Another problem is it's incredibly easy and you'll find yourself to be really overpowered throughout. It's still fun and the combat looks a lot flashier than it does in Origins at that. Besides the Darkspawn history, there's also some pretty neat political decisions you have to make, and there's some likeable party members for you to recruit, too. Including Anders, who's a party member in Dragon Age 2.

@Zella said:

Story wise it's not important really, though if you enjoy Origins it's a good expansion. It's only semi-important in terms of story when it comes to Dragon Age 2 and even then it's not crucial at all.

Considering the extra depth it adds to not only the Darkspawn but the Blight as well, I'd say it's pretty important. It also stars one of BioWare's best villains, if not the best.

#4 Posted by super2j (1797 posts) -

@Zella: @Yummylee: So if I am ok to skip it if i am happy with the story i get in the main game. And it does not add anything to original game like new looks/powers?

#5 Edited by Yummylee (22571 posts) -

@super2j said:

@Zella: @Yummylee: So if I am ok to skip it if i am happy with the story i get in the main game. And it does not add anything to original game like new looks/powers?

Oh no, there are new powers, gear, a raised level cap, additional specialisations -- beyond the story (which I believe is reason enough for you play it straight after Origins) there's still a decent amount of new content in there. Of course it all depends on whether you like Origins or not, because it's an additional 8-13 hours of that, and the base game has like 100+ hours worth of content alone.

EDIT: Wait, sorry, the gameplay additions and extensions are only available in Awakening.

#6 Edited by Zella (827 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

For that price, definitely. It's a little short by comparison to Origins--only took me around 13 hours to 100% it completely--but it's got a super interesting story that delves into the backstory behind the Darkspawn as a race. Ending's terribly abrupt, though.

Another problem is it's incredibly easy and you'll find yourself to be really overpowered throughout. It's still fun and the combat looks a lot flashier than it does in Origins at that. Besides the Darkspawn history, there's also some pretty neat political decisions you have to make, and there's some likeable party members for you to recruit, too. Including Anders, who's a party member in Dragon Age 2.

@Zella said:

Story wise it's not important really, though if you enjoy Origins it's a good expansion. It's only semi-important in terms of story when it comes to Dragon Age 2 and even then it's not crucial at all.

Considering the extra depth it adds to not only the Darkspawn but the Blight as well, I'd say it's pretty important. It also stars one of BioWare's best villains, if not the best.

I see what you mean though I've never been huge into the lore. I meant that the events of awakening don't set up those of DA2 or expand on those of Origins in a crucial way.

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure it doesn't change Origins at all, it's a separate experience from Origins. Since you haven't played Origins yet it's tough to say whether or not you should buy it, though if you end up liking Origins then you should pick it up cause it's well worth the price. Most of the Origin's dlc I found to be dissapointing, though Awakening was a true expansion and not just some bonus quest.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (15157 posts) -

@super2j said:

@Zella: @Yummylee: So if I am ok to skip it if i am happy with the story i get in the main game. And it does not add anything to original game like new looks/powers?

Its well worth the price especially at THAT price. Added abilities you can actually respec as well as adding higher ranked armor and weapon types its pretty decent.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

I honestly kinda hated awakening, it was just not as good, the characters were meh and the combat was way too easy

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5403 posts) -

You should've gotten the GOTY edition.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

It's well worth it. One of the best villains BioWare has ever created.

#11 Edited by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

If you love DAO as much as myself then you will want to play it because sadly I doubt we will ever get a Dragon Age game like it again and it will be the only new thing in it for you to play. After the living abortion that is DA2 I refuse to believe anything EA says about what DA3 will be like until I see it in action.

#12 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

I liked Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, it's not important to the story of the first game but it does add to it, I think the final boss was a fairly interesting fight. It's well work playing if you liked Origins at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.