Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Is DAO a good game for someone who's never played an RPG?

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Foil_Charizard

I've played console RPGs, Mass Effect and Fallout are two of my favorite games, and I've played others like fable etc.. but all of them are more like action RPGs. I have never played a more tactics based RPG like Dragon Age before. The gameplay looks kind of like WoW to me, but I could be way off because I've never really played it. I want to try it on the PC because it seems to be the supperior version but I'm afraid to drop $50 on a game that is outside my comfort zone of controls.

How friendly is this game to RPG beginners? Are there tutorials on basic stuff like combat and party management or are you expected to know this stuff already?  Has anyone else played this as a first timer?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

This game is friendly if you play on easy. There are tutorials when you encounter things for the first time. They tell you how to set tactics and all that. But the game can be difficult, so that may not be for everyone.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

From what I've seen: no. It's an old school CRPG aimed at exsisting fans of the genre.

But if your going to pick it up; PC is by far the way to go. This style of game is custom made for PC controls and fidelity.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon
    @Foil_Charizard: You'd be surprised how many WoW influences this game has. You can play it almost like a WoW raid only you control all 4 (4 is the max party size) of them, which gives it some great accessibility for those who have not played the Baldur's Gate series.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

No.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TimeWaffle

i'm pretty much in your same situation and i got and i'm loving it so far

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Galbrezu
    @Foil_Charizard: 
     Any first timer'll be fine in this game, there isn't an in depth tutorial or anything, but there is an excellent in game help throughout your origin story that'll get you started.

Honestly though if you've played WoW, you'll be fine, it's pretty much the same control wise; Except you control 4 people, and you can pause to issue orders.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Bones8677

I'm kinda the same way as athe OP, but I've played more JRPGs, most notably the Final Fantasy series, especially FF XII. Which I suppose is the game most similar to Dragon Age: Origins. In terms of group mechanics.

ll_chilidogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ll_chilidogs
    @Foil_Charizard:
    I was just like you in that I just recently got into RPGs.  I loved Mass Effect and thought Fallout was pretty good, but they were my first and only RPGs, so I had the same hesitation.  I picked it up for the 360 after watching the quicklook and reading the review, mainly because I loved Mass Effect though.  That said, I'm playing on normal and am about 5 hours in and loving it!  Combat is kinda weird to me, but I understand it and am doing fine with it.  I chose a warrior class because the mage class scared me, haha!  Doing a lot of melee is weird with the MMO controls (console guy), but the story is fantastic and I can't put it down. 

BTW, I've heard that the PC version is a lot harder.
    Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Foil_Charizard

XD, the responses here are pretty mixed. I'm leaning towards getting it though. To the people who are saying no, what game do you recommend then to start with and maybe work my up to Dragon Age?

Also, I've actually never played WoW, but I've seen people play it and it's always seemed interesting to. I've just never felt like trying it. What I meant to say is that DAO looks like WoW to me and I've heard that WoW has a pretty easy learning curve, at least for just playing casually so I was hoping DAO was the same. 

@DrDemon said:

" i'm pretty much in your same situation and i got and i'm loving it so far "

What difficulty are you playing on?
    TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TimeWaffle
    @Foil_Charizard: i'm playing on easy
    J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By J_Weezy

the game is pretty hard and some aspects can get very complex such as the tactics system, but overall if you play it on easy i think u should be fine.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By VWGTI
    @Foil_Charizard: 

Dude, get it and play on easy. It'll give you a good enough challenge for a newbie and you have room to play around with the commands and party management. Sides, if you have any questions or need help you have us. :)
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Galbrezu
    @VWGTI: 

That, combined with the fact you can change difficulty at any time should you be finding the game too easy for you.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I've played a decent chunk of both the PC and 360 versions, and I would recommend that anyone that isn't very comfortable with old school RPGs should probably go with the console version. The difficulty seems to be toned down a lot. On the PC version, I started running into some difficult spots very early on just normal difficulty. On the console version, I had to bump things up to hard because I was cruising through pretty much everything on normal.

The console version seems to be geared more towards pseudo-real time combat similar to Mass Effect. The PC version on the other hand really pressures you into pausing combat, planning out all of your actions, and using the overhead tactical view (which isn't even present in the console version).

If you're willing to dive head first into an old-school RPG, the PC version is generally the best version of this game. However, the console version is still very good, and it streamlines things a bit to allow for people less familiar with the genre to enjoy the experience of Dragon Age.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PureRok

If you've played any Bioware game, you've played this game. You said you've played Mass Effect. This is the same game, except in a fantasy world with blood and a bit more turn based. Basically, it's NWN or Baldur's Gate.

The plot, again, is just a rehash of every plot they've done so far.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Foil_Charizard
      @VWGTI:
    Sounds like exactly what I'm hoping for. I guess I have to pull the trigger on this, it just looks to good. Plus I don't mind buying anything from Bioware

@Chaser324:
    I wish there was a demo for X360, I'll probably end up renting it eventually if the PC version kicks my ass or just to see the difference.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jmrwacko

Why is everyone so adamant about this game's difficulty and old-school appeal? I'm 2 hours into the game and I'm not feeling that vibe at all. Honestly, it feels like Final Fantasy XII in a dark fantasy setting with much more compelling characters. If you pause every now and then the combat isn't that difficult, you just have to make sure your characters aren't positioned with their backs facing enemies, because this game's positional modifiers are sort of unforgiving.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By endaround

I saw a guy take the ogre down without a sweat on nightmare on the console.  A reviewer who played the PC version for 10 hour hands on said it took him about 6 hours to reach the same spot on the console version.  There is a huge difference. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.