Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Is the combat as stressful as it looks?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

It looks hard juggling all those different party members around, and I hear it's so overwhelming that pausing is a must.  KOTOR is the only game I've played that had party members and pausing, but it was pretty relaxed.  Can this game be played casually at all, or do you have to try your hardest just to survive through an average fight?

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Jayzilla

It is pretty difficult. The cool part is that you can use the sliders for difficulty when you want to. A good tip is to drop a nuke with a mage before opening a door. the pacing of the game is pretty frantic though. You can totally pause game play but it doesn't let you queue actions up like in KOTOR. Although it has a pretty neat system called tactics where you can structure what a party member will do and when they do it. If you have ever played Guild Wars with heroes, you will have a good idea of how to play DA:O.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

It's a breeze on PC, no idea about the console version.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss

Yeah, the combat's pretty tough. I know it requires my full attention, and even when you feel like you're at the top of your game you won't always pull through on every fight. Admittedly, that all goes toward the feeling of satisfaction after surviving... 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

Can you save whenever you want?  and is the combat challenging in a fun sort of way or a cheap sort of way?

Avatar image for tragicallyerock
    TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TragicallyErock

You definately want to make use of the Tactics for each of your party members.
    Or at the very least, setup one of the standard fighting styles for the type of character he/she is
     ie... scrapper, defender, archer, healer, etc

Personally I found almost every fight difficult until I hit level 12 or so. I was constantly pausing & assessing the battle. I'm not sure if that's because I had learned better abilities by that point, or if I simply got a better grasp of the combat system & what works well. I believe it was mostly the latter.

I find that if you set good tactics for your warrior & rogue party members, then they can hold their own for the most part. Meanwhile you can focus on controlling your mage/healer character(s). If you do that I find most battles require very little pausing/micro-managing.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " Can you save whenever you want?  and is the combat challenging in a fun sort of way or a cheap sort of way? "
    You can't save or level up or leave an area or really anything that gets your ass out of a fight in the middle of a fight.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " It looks hard juggling all those different party members around, and I hear it's so overwhelming that pausing is a must.  KOTOR is the only game I've played that had party members and pausing, but it was pretty relaxed.  Can this game be played casually at all, or do you have to try your hardest just to survive through an average fight? "
    If you play it on the lowest difficulty, it's pretty damn easy. You won't need to pause too much. The other difficulties are a different story.

@Jayzilla said:
    " It is pretty difficult. The cool part is that you can use the sliders for difficulty when you want to. A good tip is to drop a nuke with a mage before opening a door. the pacing of the game is pretty frantic though. You can totally pause game play but it doesn't let you queue actions up like in KOTOR. Although it has a pretty neat system called tactics where you can structure what a party member will do and when they do it. If you have ever played Guild Wars with heroes, you will have a good idea of how to play DA:O. "

I was really looking forward to the tactics system, as it sounded like FFXII's gambit system with a ton more depth. It's really not though. At least, in my opinion it's not. I wish they gave you like 2 or 3 times the amount of tactics slots. With such a low number of slots, I've found it to be good for potions and healing spells, but little else unfortunately. Still a fantastic game.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Illmatic

Huge suggestion. When you first start the game, set it to easy. It'll let you get a feel for what each character and class is good for and help you grip the basics of the genre. That's what I did. I had never played a game like this ever before Dragon Age and made the mistake of keeping it on normal at first. When a certain ogre kicked my ass countless times, I took a blow to my ego and set it to easy. Ten hours later and normal is manageable for me. It could help you too.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @DOUBLESHOCK: 
    Pausing is a must not because its overwhelming or bad but because that's the way the game is meant to be played. I played through it on normal mode on the PC and didn't find hard or frustrating at all. If I got stuck on a boss I'd just change it to easy mode for a second then switch back. you can save it whenever you want on the PC version with F5.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

Well this is a very hard decision because I'm not sure if I'll like that sort of gameplay.  I think I will get it though if I can lower the difficulty.  Thanks for the comments.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I found it easy on the pc version with all those interface and stuff, I still have no idea how this game could be played on consoles. I will have to see the video review again for a reminder.

Nighttide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Nighttide

I've been playing the console version recently, and you get used to it. The thing is, you often cannot just rush into combat and expect to have good results, so it's best to go into every battle expecting it to be difficult (that doesn't mean it will be, but it'll be less frustrating if you don't let your guard up). You'll also have to pause a lot and do a little hand-holding with the A.I.

Health poultices and healing spells are necessary, as well.

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Venom09

I like to micro-manage so i pause often and control everything my party does. The harder the difficulty, the more it requires micromanagement.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By KimChi4U

The game isn't that hard once you figure out a style of fighting that works. I'm sure it's been said but many other people but magic in this game can make any encounter really easy.
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dark_Jon

I played through it on Medium. Some of the battles were tough and I made it through with just one or two guys alive. It really pays to pause frequently, although most of the tough battles are optional.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.