Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Just started

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sagesebas

I just started playing the game, after finishing Mass Effect and seeing the sale I'd figure I'd buy it. I'm actually surprised the game runs fairly well.

I'm starting out as a Human Rogue

I can tell from the hour I've played so far that the game is going to be very involved. Glad to have picked this game up, and if anyone has recommendations or tips I'd be glad to take them.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I played through as a Noble Human Rogue duelist. 

Tips would be to keep an eye out for potential party members during quests. I managed to miss 2 of them and couldn't get them again later. 

Also, think about getting the Wardens Keep DLC as it allows for the Starfang sword to me used / made. Which is probably the best sword in the game.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sagesebas

Sweet I'll keep an eye out for it thanks.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Tuksit

Don't play as an archer is all I have to say about that. I played one because that's what I usually always play in rpgs and I couldn't bring myself to finish the game. I guess I'll start again some time but who knows. Just don't play as an archer.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sagesebas

I've been thinking about doing the rogue duelist

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Clinkz

Heres a tip: play the mage. Every other class is gimp especially on Insane. The mages can tank, cc,  damage, and heal. ( I played as a human rogue)

omgmetalgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By omgmetalgear

i bought dragon age about a month ago, just can't get into it.....yet. Red Dead Redemption and MW2 are taking up way too much time :P

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By sarahsdad

Don't spread your skills too thin, too early. I started out as a Human Rogue as well, and had an idea that I would go with a dual weapon and shortbow rogue with sneaking and poison making skills. I don't remember where it was, but at some point I found I just couldn't get past a couple of fights. I had a lot more fun picking two combat and one none combat skill, then leveling those up to where I was competent with them, then experimenting with some other skills.   

sodium's right, also keep an eye open for potential party members. FWIW, I liked the Warden's Keep DLC, but not the stone prisoner. 

Also, I'd suggest to keep an eye on the combat tactics of your party, and level those up; it'll save you oodles of headaches in latter fights to not continually see one of them just standing around like a dope while you're getting hammered on.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icil

When you start getting a nice party going, always bring a mage with 'Heal' (at the very least). 

Having a healer makes a huge difference, I've found in my game. I was always getting worked before I had a dedicated healer.

veiledmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By veiledmuffin

Use CC a lot.
    Having two mages is also a good idea, especially if they both have heal.

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Dantekiller

and dont forget to get a monkey they help if your hungry by giving you bannanas

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BC_

Every mage should have heal, whether they're a dedicated healer or not. It's a first tier spell, there's no good reason not to take it.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Semition
    @Menseguez said:
    " Don't play as an archer is all I have to say about that. I played one because that's what I usually always play in rpgs and I couldn't bring myself to finish the game. I guess I'll start again some time but who knows. Just don't play as an archer. "
    Archers are extremely powerful if you orient your party towards it and its pretty easy to do. 

As for advise for the OP, once you get a mage on your team, you should try to get:
    Mindblast -> Forcefield
    Cone of Cold
    Mana Clash or Glyph of Neutralization. Either of these can pretty much shutdown next to all the mages you'll encounter in this game.
    Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tuksit
    I'm not even really sure why I didn't enjoy playing as an archer, I guess it just didn't feel right to me. Could also be that I was just bad at the game...
    SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperBuster

Make sure you do your research on the romance. You don't want to get your chosen party member's approval up, wonder why you haven't had sex and then realize that it's too late.
    Also, the first town you come to after the darkspawn invasion gets destroyed after you leave it so make sure you get everything done there before you leave.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sagesebas

Seems like alot to take in

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By amoremono1

I just started too, and once you get a ways in (im about 6 hours in), you get access to multiple types anyway, and can adjust and experiment.  Good to have a nice mix, imo, so no prob being an archer...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

You can easily solo as a duel wielding rogue. Mages can't equip good armor (not initially) or embuable weapons and most embuable weapons are one handed. Im a fan but its got to be one of the poorest balanced games I've ever played, and Awakening is even more broken. Really there's no fail class, its super easy no matter the path.

Steve236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Steve236

Heres a couple of tip:
    -stick to using daggers,theyre faster then other weapons
    -get momentum and lethality ASAP
    -put most of your points into Cunning and Dex,but willpower isnt a bad choice either(more stamina)
    -dont bother with sneak

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sagesebas

Im about 6 hours in and in some spots its pretty tough, enjoying it overall though

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sagesebas

In one spot that I was having a lot of trouble and after dying a bunch, I check my tactics and changed a lot of my parties tactic slots to nearest foe and after doing that I beat the spot without any of my members dying

MichelleEaley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By MichelleEaley

Go back to camp a lot and talk with your party members.  Give them gifts too (some gifts are for certain people).  This builds loyalty, which leads to romance (can be fun) but also leads to great improvements in your party's fighting.  They fight better when they care.  Also, get the Warden's Keep, The Stone Prisoner, and Ostagar DLC.  You get good stuff at the Keep, Shale's cool (especially during the trip to Orzammar), and if you find all of Cailan's armor, give it to Alistair.

I've played this game three times and have over 120 hours invested.  If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.