Leliana Romance Troubles

#1 Posted by SuperBuster (175 posts) -

Anyone else having trouble getting any farther with Leliana? I planned to romance Leliana on my first play through and Morrigan/Zevran on my second, more evil play rhough. However, after a certain point Leliana just stopped talking about herself, I couldn't ask any more questions and there were no random encounters moving her story along. Eventually I just went to Morrigan who was much easier (though her personal quest is one of the harder missions depending on your decision). 

I read on the missing manual that if you get Leliana's approval so high using gifts that certain dialogue options will be closed off including the one leading to her personal quest and I think this is what happened to me. So, the first step would be to decrease her approval of me. Any idea how to do this? talking to her I can either tell her to leave or say nevermind, do I have to make plot decisions that she doesn't like?

#2 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

Well this is the first time I have heard of certain dialogue options and the personal quest being closed off if you jack approval too high with gifts, it sounds to me like you might have screwed up in the dialogue tree. As I understand it the options to start the romance and move it to the next level are one time only and need to be answered very specifically, or you can't advance the romance, or get it. 

I don't know what is required for the male PC, but for the female PC I know to start the Leliana romance you need at least +50 approval and then in camp she will bring up a dialogue tree, which is one time only, where she says that she really likes how you wear your hair. You need to respond with the one that is like "my hair..um thanks." I think that's the first choice. When she talks about the birds in the woman's hair you respond with the "Dear Maker!" choice, which I think leads into the "Do you prefer the company of other women choice?" which then leads to "I might giggle and look coy." After that the romance should be started, you get a good amount of approval, and oddly enough I got a few points of approval out of Allister as well (that pig). I know that to sleep with Liliana you need her at 100 approval, which I think is max. Then she mentions something about it being a long time since she left Lothering. If you pick the right choice out of the dialogue tree there (I forget what one it is) and continue to be nice to her she will invite you into her tent and you will be rewarded with awkward digital sex. 

Hope this helps.

#3 Posted by SuperBuster (175 posts) -
@Cerza: I've read about this as well and if this is indeed the problem then it seems that I can't do anything short of starting another playthrough since I don't have any saves where she is talking to me.  If that's the case then I might as well try what's written in the missing manual, they mention that it might be a glitch that you can't talk to her if her approval rating is made too high by using only gifts and little dialogue, they also mention that it might be on purpose and that it's just the nature of women. Of course, I only have her in the 90s and I'm wondering if a new dialogue tree will open once I get her up to 100. 

So, does anyone know the most effective way to get someone to disapprove of you?
#4 Posted by SuperBuster (175 posts) -
This is the missing manual I'm talking about.
#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

I think I might be having the same issue. I've talked to her to the point where I can't talk to her about anything else, and I seem to have just hit a roadblock.

#6 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

There is an easy fix for that particular problem. 

1. Break up with her if you gifted up her for romance. 
2. See if one of the conversation options is about "Orleis". Follow that branch if it is.
2. Go to a destination on the map, then return to camp. (Also, do this if no. 2 didn't kick in)
3. She should start up a conversation with the lines "You know, I lied..". 
4. Repeat 2 until you get ambushed. You get her personal quest. 
5. Do her quest, and after a some time you can ask her about Marjorlie (or however it was spelled) and one of the options is mentioning "was she special to you?", choose that then proceed until you can tell her "I wish I was special..etc." and presto, sex scene. 

Hope that made sense.

#7 Posted by SuperBuster (175 posts) -
@Von said:
" There is an easy fix for that particular problem.  1. Break up with her if you gifted up her for romance. 2. See if one of the conversation options is about "Orleis". Follow that branch if it is.2. Go to a destination on the map, then return to camp. (Also, do this if no. 2 didn't kick in)3. She should start up a conversation with the lines "You know, I lied..". 4. Repeat 2 until you get ambushed. You get her personal quest. 5. Do her quest, and after a some time you can ask her about Marjorlie (or however it was spelled) and one of the options is mentioning "was she special to you?", choose that then proceed until you can tell her "I wish I was special..etc." and presto, sex scene.  Hope that made sense. "
This is what I found when I looked at the missing manual but it only works if you've already started a romance with her because if you haven't then you can't break up with her to lose approval. I've been reading up on it and apparently I didn't choose the correct dialogue choice one time and that stuck us in the "just friends" category forever and it didn't help that I pampered her with gifts afterwards because once you get her approval too high dialogue trees disappear. In the end I've decided to just start over, I made some unwise spell choices anyways and this time I'll know what's what.
#8 Posted by SuperBuster (175 posts) -

To summarize  there are two separate tracks you can take with Leliana up to an approval rating of 100, the friend track (which doesn't particularly lead anywhere except for some leadership bonuses) and the romantic track which leads to leadership bonuses and well, romance. In order to make it onto the romantic track which I assume most people reading this thread want, you have to respond correctly to oneo of two specific dialogue trees. If you respond incorrectly or get Leliana's approval too high before you start the romance you are pretty much stuck on the friend track unless you can load a pasr save file or find a way to decrease her approval of you to the point where the dialogue opens up again. The first dialogue tree is the one that starts with: 

"What was someone like you doing in Lothering's Chantry?"  
Then respond "You know, a beautiful charming woman like yourself."  
and then "Those initiates can't have been more lovely than you" After you say this you should be on the romantic track.   

There seems to be another chance to get on the romantic track after you finish her personal quest. In order to get her personal quest I have read that you're supposed to have her approval around +25 and then ask her about the minstrels in Orlais. Then go out of the camp, come back in and talk to her about lying about her past. After that the next random encounter you have should be a bunch of assassins that should start Leliana's personal quest. After completing the personal quest talk to Leliana and she will say: "I know that look, you have something on your mind don't you?" then you say:  

"We need to talk." 
"Are you feeling better?" 
"Er, I think I see what you mean."  
"She was special to you wasn't she?"  
"I'm sorry it ended so badly." 
"Everyone changes unfortunately." 
"I can only hope to one day be as special as she was to you" This seems to be the second way to get on the romantic track. 

Leliana is romance-able by both males and females though I hear that it is easier with the male. In order to start the romance with a female you have to be at an approval rating of +50 and when talking with Leliana she will say: "I...have I ever told you I really like the way you wear your hair?" Respond: 

"My hair? Thank you." 
"Dear Maker!" 
"Well we are friends aren't we?" 
"And do you enjoy the company of other women?" 
"I think I might giggle and maybe look coy?" You should now be on the romance track

In order for Leliana to invite you to her tent her approval rating has to be 100 and you have to be on the romantic track. Keep in mind that Leliana's dialogue trees seem to disappear if her approval rating is too high, no one is quite sure why. Thus it would be wise to exhaust all dialogue options before you start showering her with gifts.  I have heard that it is possible to be in a romance with Leliana and another partner at the same time. Eventually Leliana will ask you to break up with the other party but even if you do you can simply regain the approval you lost and still be in a relationship or so I've read. I've also read that you can have Leliana join you in a threesome with Isabella in the Pearl in Denerim if you have high enough coercion. 

A Disclaimer, I have not actually done any of this, this is just a gathering of information from various sources around the internet.

#9 Posted by louislk (1 posts) -

Yeah, I missed the chance at the part when she says " I lied..."  and also missed the chance when i can follow the track are you feeling better to get to " i only hope one day be as special...". Before I gave her nug pet, she is 87 and still friendly, then I gave her a normal gift and then nug pet. Cuz in another forum, people said that giving her nug pet can fix the romance. However, it jumped to 100 and still friendly. But the small tip to fix the romance with her was to say that you wanted her try to seduce you, that is the only way to fix in my opinion, she would say " i shall try it....." or something like that. When getting back to the camp, you and her jumped back to the conversation about marjolaine, you can answer any options, but make sure you tried to ask her how special Marjolaine was to her, then she would say that you were how Marjolaine used to be, then it jumped to " I hope .. special", choose that and she would say she loved you. That's what i did and i was able to change immediately from 99 friendly to 99 love. Awesome, cuz i thought could not change it. Thanks to Von for the guide of " i hope... special...", and nug pet tips -  could give you another chance to ask her about seduction of orlais spies to get back on romance track. I just wanna share something that might help fix the problem.

#10 Posted by Liminality (444 posts) -
@SuperBuster said:

"I planned to romance Leliana on my first play through and Morrigan/Zevran "

@SuperBuster said:

"Zevran "

Why?!

Also, good luck with that :/
#11 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@SuperBuster:  

She is an ice queen, that is all. 
#12 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

This just happened to me. That cocksucking BITCH!  I'm just gonna try reloading past saves
til this is done.

#13 Edited by carpXeXdiem (1 posts) -
@SuperBuster:
but hey that first conversation with leliana with the chantry i don't have the intiates option and when i talk to her she says something about forbidden fruit. i have done three playthroughs with trying to get this i need help. i have a girl mage and i have saved right outside the lothering bar before you meet her. so if i have to i can start over. also when i recruit her the relationship level is already at 50. is it just because im a girl? on the primary save i have her around 72-80 and all i can talk to her about is why she moved to fereldan and after that is what she misses about orlais. then after that NOTHING. do i wait or just start over. i have a xbox 360 and i don't know if dialogue is different from other systems but what people tell me to do from what i see in the dialogue options is different. i have the flower too and the only romance option i have is do i get a kiss and she kisses me on the cheek. after that nothing opens up. i tried everyting and if it didn't work i just loaded the last auto save. i am getting frustrated. please tell me. i also did zevran if that matters i thought i would get him done since he is easy.
#14 Posted by 147theusername (1 posts) -

I'm having the same problem. I can only talk to leliana "About us", "I think you should go." and i can listen to her stories. Her approval is all the ways up but thats all i can say. Does that mean i have to start over on a different save to do it? 

#15 Posted by sagesebas (1979 posts) -
@147theusername: Did you try going back to camp?
#16 Posted by MichelleEaley (52 posts) -

I was able to romance Leliana as a male noble warrior dwarf after I first hooked up with Morrigan (seeing Morrigan jealous is funny, btw).  The key was to flatter her and to take her with you everywhere.  Once she was in my party, she stayed, and this opened up the dialogue for her faster than my first time playing (this was my second).  Especially since I would go back to camp after every mission.   Give her gifts after she mentions them--giving her the flower after she starts talking about her past helps a lot.  I never gave her the nug, so don't spend lots of time finding it.  To sum up: Flattery and make her a permanent party member (ditch her after your trip to the tent if you want, but not before).

I hope this helps.

#17 Posted by Maez (2 posts) -

For anyone Still looking for a Definitive answer to fixing Liliana and  her lack of dialogue . 

if you have maxed her to 100 and have the Feast Day DLC just give Her the Prank. I Gave her the Boots, forget their name, Be Aware this drops her down -53 points. putting you just high enough to get all the options. Doing this starts the second set of Dialogue that begins her personal Quest. then just leave with her in party, come back, rinse and repeat till ALL Dialogue has been Exhausted. 

Once You've Exhausted the Dialogue options give her 2 of the "Thought Full Gifts" and This will bring you to her next set of dialogue. Weather you go back to her tent, or remain and write in your Journal is up to you. But this will get you back on track :)   

Should also be able to do this for Every one that gets off track. For the same reason of massive gift giving, Allistar wont give me his personal quest.

*side note* Untested, but it would be thought that since you dropped Liliana so low, one could go back and take Morrigan for a spin, for the Achievement of course...*

#18 Edited by Maez (2 posts) -
@Toeflower said:

" I was able to romance Leliana as a male noble warrior dwarf after I first hooked up with Morrigan (seeing Morrigan jealous is funny, btw).  The key was to flatter her and to take her with you everywhere.  Once she was in my party, she stayed, and this opened up the dialogue for her faster than my first time playing (this was my second).  Especially since I would go back to camp after every mission.   Give her gifts after she mentions them--giving her the flower after she starts talking about her past helps a lot.  I never gave her the nug, so don't spend lots of time finding it.  To sum up: Flattery and make her a permanent party member (ditch her after your trip to the tent if you want, but not before).  I hope this helps. "

True:
       Give Morrigan no Gifts, just the Grimoire from The First Enchanter Irving's Study, In the Circle Tower. Followed Up by Flemeth's Grimoire, Immediately afterwards, she should be having a problem with "Cold Beds" 
then, After some Dialogue you will be free to go sass Liliana.
This was just the easiest way for me, I' m sure there are many others and different ways :) just my 2cp
#19 Posted by crazygum (1 posts) -

I got up to 60 without using any gifts, since i don't know which gift to give to leilana, HELP!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.