Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Mage Difficulty On Console Version

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

I was just curious if anyone has played the Mage class on the console version of Dragon Age. Specifically the Spirit Healer. I'm wanting to give that class a try, but I'm worried about the difficulty of selecting one of my party members, and healing them quickly. 
    Has the game been streamlined enough to where it's easy to do that? Is there some specific method you have to figure out in order to quickly heal a party member? I've only played melee classes so far, so I don't really know much about how you target fellow party members, and cast a beneficial ability on them.

Thanks in advance!

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

To heal, as a mage, you can hotkey it, or, what I do is:
    1.) Press LT, to pause the game
    2.) Go to spells, and select heal
    3.) The game remains paused, and an you choose which member to heal using their portraits on the upper left
    4.) Press A, the game goes back to the action and the selected party member gets healed.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien
    @MAST:@Death_Unicorn: Even if you hotkey heal, the game pauses, allowing you to choose which ally to perform the spell on using the portraits.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @Damien: This is true.
    j_noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By j_noodles

Yeah Being a Spirit Healer is pretty good, but when playing the role of the mage it is important to look at what level of difficulty you are playing.  The cool thing about the magic settings in this game is that you can actually do friendly fire.  I think that is what makes this game truly different from other great RPG's like Fable 1 and 2, Divinity 1 and 2, and the finial fantasy series.  I also would advise against wasting a specialty point on the shape shift ability, kind of lame.  Although keep in mind if you are using a mage make sure he is always in the back  and you have some really kick ass melee guys, other wise your gonna die, a lot.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Colonel_Fury
    @j_noodles said:
      I also would advise against wasting a specialty point on the shape shift ability, kind of lame.  Although keep in mind if you are using a mage make sure he is always in the back  and you have some really kick ass melee guys, other wise your gonna die, a lot. "

Take both those points into heavy conideration. If your up front while playing as a mage, you'll get you ass kicked.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By maxszy

I am a hybrid mage doing healing and primal spells. The healing is just fine within the console version, you need not worry. With using LT the game pauses and you can select which you need to heal. Works quite well!
    vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vinnylegs

It works great, once you get use to it your a master of it.

ZheGypsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ZheGypsi

It shouldn't be hard. As someone mentioned, you can pause the game and select allies/switch spells/target enemies/ etc. The harder part of playing a mage is having tanks to protect you. It takes a bit more micromanagement but it's not outrageously hard :).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.