New DLC: "Darkspawn Chronicles"

#1 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Apparently, there is a new DLC being prepared by Bioware. It is called Darkspawn Chronicles and is set to be released May 18th, at the price point of 400 Microsoft Points. Source: 
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/05/04/new-dragon-age-dlc-coming-may-18.aspx. So what do you guys think? My first thought was that it might be a stand alone campaign where you play as an intelligent darkspawn from Awakening, but who really knows?

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21500 posts) -
Click MEH! 

Sweet.  I'm still craving some new DA content, even after the unhealthy amounts of hours I've put into Origins+Awakening. 

Thinking as to what the DLC will be, I imagine it'll feature into the Awakening expansion maybe. Giving the player abit of a conclusion over the-to say the least uneventful-ending from Awakening. 
Playing as one of the Disciple darkspawn would be a nice twist, though at that price i doubt it'll be anything so different from what something like Return to Ostagar gave you in terms of if its content depth.
#3 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Yeah, you're probably right. Still, more content is welcome. I too have been wishing for more Dragon Age. At any rate, someone from Bioware seemed to hint on their forums that official details may be released tomorrow, so at least we won't be left in the dark too long.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21500 posts) -

Still no new revealments, and even one of the articles stated that EA hasn't even officially announced it yet and there still isn't anything even regarding Darkspawn Chronicles on the BioWare site. =/
I have a hunch that there may be a longer wait than is expected for this DLC release, much like the mess that Return to Ostagar had with its release.
#5 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

Apparently, the DLC is an alternate history where your character died during the joining, and you play as a Darkspawn commander during the assault on Denerim. If you complete it, you unlock a Darkspawn item for Origins or Awakening. Seen here

#6 Posted by sandweed (157 posts) -

Seems cool, but alternate story stuff is not really what I want. At least you get something worthwhile out of it. This is not something that ads anything to replayability at all.

#7 Posted by FalconCritical (224 posts) -

This is weird to be sure, in a universe where they've (thus far) strived to have very clear continuity so far.  I can see this as a fun little bit on the side, but am not sure we needed this.  Who am I kidding, I'll get it regardless - it will be interesting how they manage your objectives and orders passed down from the Archdemon and such, since there were no talking darkspawn in the original game.

#8 Posted by Jekaboom (19 posts) -
@FalconCritical: Yeah I'm a bit confused too that they break their approach of universe/story continuity. Don't really know if that's what we want, might confuse some players even.
But what the hell... I'm going to purchase it probably anway, and that's the reaction Bioware expects from us geeks :P
#9 Posted by Yummylee (21500 posts) -

Sounds mighty sweet, if a little gimmicky. It's too much to hope that the darkspawn item you unlock is the chain mail set the darkspawn disciples wear, but ah well. Plenty of time in between for such a DLC opportunity =P

#10 Edited by BlueStriped (100 posts) -

New trailer for Darkspawn Chronicles.

#11 Edited by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

Sounds "interesting", maybe a little cheepy. But i'm going to buy it and give it a go. More DLC for Origins is always welcome.

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9863 posts) -

Heh.  So do you get Jill Valentine as a playable character?

#13 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Getting some more insight into the Darkspawn is cool. Though I REALLY would have preferred something canon. This alternate universe thing doesn't interest me all that much.

#14 Posted by BC_ (168 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
" Getting some more insight into the Darkspawn is cool. Though I REALLY would have preferred something canon. This alternate universe thing doesn't interest me all that much. "
I agree completely... but I'm still gonna buy it :)
#15 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1356 posts) -

I've already played through origins too many fucking times without DLC to buy them now and play through again. Just give me a new "dragon age colon something" please.

#16 Posted by Sadistik256 (5 posts) -

I'm super excited. I will DL this on day one! I will <3 to play as teh Darkspawn!!
#17 Posted by Yummylee (21500 posts) -

Kinda wondering how you access it. Will it be an option from the menu? Or will they ask when you begin a new game.

#18 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Is this an expansion or a DLC addon? Because if I have to go through origins and complete event x to unlock this as a sidequest, I couldn't be less interested. if its building off my Awakening endgame save or is completely separate, then Im in. Based on the trailer, this is totally what I was thinking about making as a module. God I hope I can recruit an abomination.

#19 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@ryanwho: 
It's separate DLC. You most likely launch it from the Campaigns list (like you would a mod that had nothing to do with the main game).
#20 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'm curious how far it goes.  

I also think it would be totally rad if they were like "oh by the way this will be the official canon for DA2" in the credits.
#21 Posted by Jeust (10550 posts) -

Seems interesting, just hope they don't abbreviate the conquest by the Darkspawn with the cheap dlc. 

#22 Posted by Yummylee (21500 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" Seems interesting, just hope they don't abbreviate the conquest by the Darkspawn with the cheap dlc.  "
I'm expecting as much. Though creating a whole new alternate Universe to Dragon Age, like something out of Marvel, would be neat.
#23 Edited by Jeust (10550 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Jeust said:

" Seems interesting, just hope they don't abbreviate the conquest by the Darkspawn with the cheap dlc.  "
I'm expecting as much. Though creating a whole new alternate Universe to Dragon Age, like something out of Marvel, would be neat. "
Yeap it would, though if it is brief, i'd rather have them do a bigger and better expansion and sell it at 800 or 1200 points, because otherwise it will be disappointing to the fans.  
#24 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'm expecting, at best, a 10 hour game that basically takes place in a bunch of places you've already been to. I doubt you will see too many new areas at all. My prediction(and I'm probably way off): 

Then again, it could be a cheap 5 hour campaign with recycled content. Who knows.
#25 Posted by UberExplodey (939 posts) -

are there points involved?

#26 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -
@UberExplodey said:
" are there points involved? "
Yup. Check the achievements page. There is at least 1 regular and it looks like there are 1 or 2 secret ones also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.