Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Not nerdy enough to enjoy Bioware games?

• 61 results
    Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Smersh

Don't get me wrong, I try my hardest to get into them but things just never 'click' for me. I played KOTOR and got bored of the pace, played Mass Effect (and had high hopes) but just kept getting lost (in space!), then I thought I'd give BIoware one more chance with Dragoon Age: Origins - I lasted about an hour... found I had to talk to waaaay to many annoying characters that couldn't tie there own shoe laces if their preprogrammed lives depended upon it. Whats wrong with me? am I the only one? am I not nerdy enough? or do Bioware games just blow?? 

Obviously I mean not to offend the lovers, but come on!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Guess you just don't like RPG's, oh well?
    Gorikka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Gorikka

They just don't appeal to you. That's it. They clearly appeal to a certain audience, one which you are not a part of. 

The end.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64
    @Smersh:  I'm with you.  I had big hopes for Mass Effect 1 and I was really disappointed.  I hated the dialog trees that BioWare does and the combat just felt bad to me.

So in a nutshell: JRPG > WRPG in my book.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Chances are you're spoiled by the heavy use of cinema in games these days. Gamers these days aren't willing to do as much of the work anymore when it comes to enjoying a good game. I spent hours reading through the codex in that game, and I enjoyed it, dammit!

Then again, I thought KOTOR was boring as fuck and couldn't force my way very far. Different strokes and all that.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By shirogane

Hmm, the tieing your own shoe thing would be hilarious. 

Npc quest 'Tie my shoelace' 

Truthfully, i've been losing interest in Bioware games of late too. I played KotOR, and loved that. But never did manage to finish dragon age, and still trying to play through mass effect now.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @JJOR64: So you played the least RPG-esque game BioWare's ever produced when you're a fan of JRPGs? 

Try Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age. They're really NOTHING like Mass Effect in their dialogue system or combat.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJOR64
    @Little_Socrates:  I've always wanted to try KOTOR, but I never got around to it.
    LordMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By LordMuffin
    @Smersh: Maybe you should have stayed with Kotor.  I was bored for a bit but once the story took off I was hooked and loved it.  But sounds like you are just not a fan of RPG.  Start with Borderlands its a great way to try them out. Its like "RPG light".
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

I hate DnD/Lord of the Rings style games, and I'm not that into Mass Effect or even the KOTOR games, but I've fallen in love with Dragon Age. It's awesome.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By august

If "not being nerdy enough" is the same as "not having enough of an attention span" then you may be.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Smersh: I'm with ya there buddy. 

Played Mass Effect for a bit and got lost, bored and found there is too much talking and not enough action. Also the layout for the equipment and weapons is confusing as hell.

Then last week, i bought Dragon Age: Origins, and it did not appeal to me that well, yet. Maybe because i have only played the first hour or so and got so confused that there was some Rat that then turned into a Man-Bear-Pig and then... well i'm not really sure as that is as far as i have got. I will play more of it though just to see if it gets interesting.

I also love RPG's, but more Oblivion and Fallout style. 

So you are not alone on the Bioware products.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Smersh: 

I understand brah, play Mass Effect 2 instead.  Mass Effect 2 is about the most un-RPG RPG there is.  You don't have an Inventory, you don't have to manage a complex levelling system, you really don't have to manage you party members because they'll do what they can in the most logical way possible without much assistance at all.  It's a shooter through and through and the spare few times you actually have to stop and think in terms of opening locked doors and other objects or mining planets for resouces, the game uses memory matching minigames with visual cues and clues.  The other stuff like team selection and choices to be made in dialogue are pretty much there to make it a viable story.  I really think that Mass Effect 2 will be much more enjoyable for you.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm mostly into JRPG's but I just can't put down Dragon Age Origins. I'm around 40 hours and I think I still probably have another 20 hours to finish the main quest since I'm doing just about all the side quests, and I never care about those. As for Mass Effect, I played it when it came out and never finished. I started playing through about half of it again from the beginning and plan on playing Mass Effect 2 after (which I picked up), but I got my copy of Dragon Age from Gamefly and put Mass Effect on hold since I love it so much. I even picked up the Collectors Edition. 

Anyways, you probably just don't like RPGs? Or maybe like you said, you just don't like Bioware games. For me I just cannot get into Bethesda games. I bought both Oblivion and Fallout 3, got around 20 hours in and never played again.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe one day they'll copy a game you like and you can enjoy the thing they copy and tolerate the rest.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Smersh:  I'm with you.  I had big hopes for Mass Effect 1 and I was really disappointed.  I hated the dialog trees that BioWare does and the combat just felt bad to me.  So in a nutshell: JRPG > WRPG in my book. "
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T !!!!
    Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Alphawolfy

Not sure what you mean by "not nerdy enough", as these stereotypes are quite confusing nowadays. But anyway, perhaps RPGs aren't for you; although from what I've heard, Mass Effect 2 is very non-RPGish (though still an RPG, not sure how that works). So maybe you could tr y that? I  was much offset by ME1's clumsy combat and interface too.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Wait, wait.  I have a joke brewing here to do with not being Emofag enough to appreciate JRPGs.

Oh...wait.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

With the "too much talking" comment, sounds to me like you just don't like RPGs.  It's okay, not every game genre is built for every player.  I'd stay away from Adventure games, too if I was you because those tend to be conversation heavy.  Borderlands might appeal to you since it's really a shooter with RPG elements.  And, there isn't much story or talking to get in the way of the action.   I don't quite understand the "not nerdy enough" remark since it seems to segment people who enjoy gaming further.  Don't we have enough trouble with the casual and hardcore labels?  Anyway, what's wrong with you?  Nothing, you just don't aren't attracted to these types of games.  Don't bother with other Bioware, Bethesda and most JRPGs because they are often laden with interactive conversations.  It's okay, that's why developers make Uncharted, God of War and other fast-action games. 

deathface123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deathface123

i am unsure whether to try DA:O. im all for rpgs but i dunno if ill drown in the amount of content. 
    what i mean is when i play games like DA or oblivion im never sure if im on the right track/what i should do next.
    however i couldnt stop playing fallout 3. but then fallout, imo, was a little easier to get into, manage quests and follow the main quest line...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's nothing to do with nerdiness. Bioware games just don't appeal to you. You could give Jade Empire a whirl though. If that doesn't do it for you then just stay away from Bioware.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Gabriel

Try Fallout 3 it's a lot different than Bioware games

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax

You just don't like RPGs.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By endaround
    @deathface123: There really isn't a way to get "lost"in DA:O.  While you get to decide where to go, one you're there there isn't a big need to move around all over the world causign you to encounter a bunch more quests.
    Avatar image for buchinylordoftaco
    BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think you just don't like RPGs, but maybe everyone is just different, i for one love DA:O, TES 3 morrowind (oblivion only improved in horses, graphics and alchemy, the rest sucked), and baulder's gate, as well as EWN, but i thought KOTOR, ME, and ME2 sucked, as well as Fallout 3. maybe you should try an MMO or something.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

As a fan of late 90's CRPGS, Bioware just doesn't do it for me. You'd think it'd be the opposite, but nah. Maybe I've adopted new tastes or something, but many CRPG staples of that era seem to make me happer when applied to other genres. STALKER, for instance, has the most interesting and immersive gamestyle I've played in all my years of gaming.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By immike

Funny cause I like all of those games. You may not like RPGs. Just play something you like.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By threeve

I did find the quest management a little cumbersome in DA:O, just because some of the quests you may forget about if you just play a couple hours a day and then when it comes time to act, you may not remember that this is a quest you're on and you miss that opportunity.  Likewise with some of the "find all these people in Various locations around Ferelden" quests it's difficult (impossible?) to tell who you have left and who you've done already.  A WoW-style quest tracker would have saved some pains there.  With the main quest stuff though, you pretty much know what you need to do and it's a bit more straight forward, so no real harm done.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

You're broken. Bioware is amazing.

void1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By void1234

They just aren't your type of games. Bioware games are VERY story driven and you have to except that its not all kill kill kill explosion like modern warfare of Fallout. It takes time and if you can't put in the time then don't try

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Trilogy
    @arab_prince said:
    " You're broken. Bioware is amazing. "
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Supermarius
    @deathface123:  dragon age origins is honestly pretty linear. You can choose what order to do main story quests in, but there are only 4 or 5 options and no matter what order you do them in you will do them all eventually. There is one big story chunk per area so you cant really get lost.
    Dormath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dormath
    @void1234 said:
    " They just aren't your type of games. Bioware games are VERY story driven and you have to except that its not all kill kill kill explosion like modern warfare of Fallout. It takes time and if you can't put in the time then don't try "
    Agreed if BIoware made it I loved it because I am driven by story.  But i am not a fan of fallout and other games rated highly.
    deathface123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deathface123
    @Supermarius: since i posted that comment i have since gone on to buy DA:O and im on my second playthrough... i love it! i dont kno what i was at all apprehensive for as it has something for most people within the game. i couldnt get enough of the dialogue and party banter if im honest though! XD
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lambert

More like you are too stupid to enjoy Bioware games.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FirePrince

Long RPG's get boring,fast.I hate them.I finished Mass Effect in 15 hours,and it was awesome.That is how all RPG's should be.

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
    deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, it looks like you just don't have the patience for RPG's. Honestly, if you don't like Dragon Age, you don't like RPG's because that is pretty much the definition of an RPG. It has nothing to do with you "not being nerdy enough".

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tranquilchaos
    @ryanwho said:
    " Maybe one day they'll copy a game you like and you can enjoy the thing they copy and tolerate the rest. "
    I'm starting to like you.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gabriel

I didn't think I was either, I was like Fuck Elves and Dwarves this is gay... man was I wrong I got hooked on Dragon Age.

Avatar image for misplacedcircus
    misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By misplacedcircus

I suggest trying action-RPGs like Borderlands.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Bioware games nowadays are obviously separated by the dialogue and storylines. It takes a long time to get around to doing actual quests because of the dialogue and character development that must be done so you understand the context in which you're doing that quest. Mass Effect had this problem and when Bioware figured out that ME was this type of game, they made ME2 a lot more simplified in order to appeal to a much larger audience. 

Dragon Age is WAY deeper and full of content than ME. The entire beginning of the game before you even start recruiting party members takes about 3 - 4 hours to do. Bioware games are just long as hell, but their plots are really awesome, which is why I like them. 

I would recommend more action RPGs. Poster above me mentioned Borderlands, which is good. ME2 is good if you want a quicker, but still Bioware RPG.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

I guess it's just one of those things that comes along that you can't grasp a likeness for even if you wanted to. It happens. I don't think it's something someone could recommend you try and like or not, it's just something you may gain over time. Like the Prince of Persia games for me in the past. I had been so into games like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, and God of War, then I tried Prince of Persia, only to find out the combat isn't as engaging as those other ones. Although I understand now that those games aren't really alike, so I got passed my dislike for it. It may be just the fact you hope for something better in those games but never find what you're looking for. And being nerdy or not has nothing to do with it. Sorry to say, but if you're on this site! You're a nerd in one way or another ha ha. Not a bad thing though, just sayin'.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By niamahai

imo Mass Effect 2 was the easiest Bioware game to get into

there's something that DA:O isn't triggering my inner Bioware fanboy-ism.. i'm not sure whether it's the combat or the character movement.. that game just lacks something but I'm not sure.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By haggis

I loved KotoR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. There is a lot of talking, but then I grew up playing adventure games. That is, text-based adventure games. So I don't mind reading a bit, and certainly don't mind conversations--even long ones--in games. If you don't like dialogue, Bioware games just aren't for you. Still, there was a lot of talking in Bethesda's games, as well. Western RPGs have a lot of that. You know. Story and plot. Of course, I can't stand JRPGs, for the most part. They have a lot of talking as well, except it seems to be done by really annoying, cliched characters. Even still, I liked Lost Odyssey well enough. The story style is different, and if one doesn't appeal to you, the other might. Or neither. But if you can't understand that there are different tastes in games, you should probably figure it out soon. I don't get why some people have to get offensive when they don't like a game, rather than just recognizing that not all games appeal to everyone.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RedneckedCrake
    @haggis: Totally agree here. I also get really annoyed at people who claim they don't understand the story of a game because it was too "convoluted" or "confusing". Perhaps if they actually attempted to use their squirrel sized brains to make heads and tails of everything, they'd be able to grasp it. I fail to understand how people can't follow Halo's plot, yet there are some people out there who refuse to even know what is going on while they're playing the games.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By haggis
    @RedneckedCrake: The problem is that some games actually are convoluted and confusing. That's because most writing for games sucks. I mean, really sucks. Bioware's games are better written than most, but they're still not great. Most games, though, have only middling stories. So I don't care if people ignore the stories and just play the games. But they shouldn't complain when they don't understand what's going on when they're not even trying. Halo's plot, for instance, is a bit convoluted and involved. There's a lot of backstory. If you don't like digging into the backstory, then the plot doesn't always make sense. But, then, if you don't like Halo's plot, there's no reason you have to pay attention to it. A game like Dragon Age, though, requires you to be paying attention in order to know what you're doing and what your options are. You can play it blind if you want (skipping dialogue), but you're going to get lost pretty quickly. I think that's where many people find they don't like the games. They get lost because they don't like listening to all the dialogue. Obviously the designers want you to listen. If you don't want to listen, don't say the game "blows" (because it quite obviously doesn't) but that you don't like it, or don't get why people would like it. Too often, when people simply don't like a game they have to make comments about it objectively (it "blows") rather than more appropriate subjective criticism ("I don't like dialogue-heavy games").
    donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By donkeycow
    @deathface123: you're never really lost in Dragon Age, it's not like oblivion where you are just sorta thrown out into the world to fend for yourself, you have set goals, and a set quest pretty much.
    void1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By void1234
    Well what I've notice for Bioware games, KOTOR for sure is that there is a point in the story arch that you need to get past to actually start loving the game, I LOVE Bioware games but these are huge points that most people need to get past before the actually start to enjoy the experience. For KOTOR it's getting of Taris, KOTOR 2 is Peragus (GOD I HATED IT SOOOOO MUCH!!!) as well as Telos, For Mass Effect it's getting for the damned citadel and Mass effect 2 is completing Horizon. What I found for Origins is that you need to get past Ostagar to really enjoy it.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By metalmoog

Bioware is a stamp of quality to me when I buy games. I have yet to play a game from Bioware that I didn't end up loving. I say end up loving, because their games are a very slow burn. I thought Mass Effect and KotOR were boring as hell for the first few hours, but forced myself to stick with them because I knew the payoff would be huge. That payoff being incredible characters and storytelling, that really suck me in to their created worlds, and make me want to keep pushing forward not only because of the gameplay, but primarily because I'm completely hooked and invested in the story and characters. I haven't played games from any other studio that focus so much on such great story telling and character development. For me Bioware means total immersion in the games. And they are from my hometown which further adds to my love and loyalty for this incredible studio!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.