Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Not nerdy enough to enjoy Bioware games?

• 61 results
    oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By oobs

i liked dragon age..only thing i was a little disappointed in was that couldn't actually walk to where you were travelling but other than that it was a great game..and i wasn't a big RPG hardcore fan in this type of turned based combat
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ArchScabby
    @misplacedcircus said:
    " I suggest trying action-RPGs like Borderlands. "
    Bioware's games are action RPG's.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Gizmo

I just wanted to post something, because I feel I need to 'atone' myself. 

I have given Bioware games a lot of slack on these forums in the past, but I have been investing some serious time into Dragon Age : Origins Ultimate Edition over Christmas and I feel that I am 'finally' getting Bioware games. I think Dragon Age starts very slow , but i'm about 12 hours in now and the pacing is picking up, and the story is getting very interesting and compelling. I just bought Mass Effect 1 & 2, and am genuinely looking forward to playing both. 

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Rebirth1337

Yeah I can't get into Bioware made games either. 

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By lucas_kelly

Maybe you're like me and prefer RPG's with same actual depth to them.

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Smersh

Dear Strangers, 
    I downloaded the Dragon Age 2 demo yesterday and I have been enjoying it a heap! 
    And when I say 'a heap' I mean A HEAP! - 5 times through to be exact. 
    It's safe to say I'll be buying this one (for PC) and may post my thoughts in the Dragon Age 2 forum (if ya give a rats)
    I think the biggest positive impression it's had on me so far is the suped up-break-neck-battle speed. 

Faithfully, 
    Now Nerdy Enough

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By Tordah

How can you possibly get lost in Mass Effect? That game funnels you down the right path from beginning to end.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mutley

Being nerdy has nothing to do with it, you just don't like the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@lucas_kelly said:
    " Maybe you're like me and prefer RPG's with same actual depth to them. "
    Wait.....You're talking about Dragon Age, right? Have you even played it before?
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By dagas

I understand, I wish I liked the old school RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but I just can't play them. I didn't get into WRPG's until KotOR. Up until then I was just playing JRPG's (I was young). I've heard so many great tings about the story, but I just can't stand the pen and paper style gameplay and poor graphics. Compared to BG, KotOR moves really fast. KotOR is about the perfect speed for me when it comes to combat. Old school RPG gamers will say that BG and Fallout 1 and such have so much deeper combat, but I don't want to pause the game and definitely not want to sleep just to be able to cast a spell again. 

There are JRPG's that has a lot of strategy as well. They are not all like FF7 where you could pretty much just use attack the entire game. Many of the Shin Megami Tensei games require the use of tactics and thinking.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By mutha3

I don't enjoy Bioware games because they usually have poor quest/gameplay design and an issue with repetition. I do enjoy the writing from time to time. Not enough to finish their games, though.

@starrjack1 said:

" @JJOR64 said: 

@Smersh:  I'm with you.  I had big hopes for Mass Effect 1 and I was really disappointed.  I hated the dialog trees that BioWare does and the combat just felt bad to me.  So in a nutshell: JRPG > WRPG in my book. "  

What bugs you about the dialog in Bioware games and what makes the dialog in JRPG's manageable or even good?  I had to think about that for a bit and I suppose in a lot of JRPG's you can skip most of the dialog, but if you really believe most Japanese game writing to be better than western game writing then you just have not played enough western games.  I love a good JRPG but I got my fill of melodrama in highschool.

I don't see the dude mentioning JRPG's having superior dialogue in his post at all.Just that he doesn't like Bioware dialogue trees.

Besides, even on the merits of its stories, the JRPG genre is superior. Campy poorly written melodrama>boring poorly written tripe.

....I agree with him, if it ain't obvious:P
    Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Deadmeat

To OP, you feel basically about RPG's how I feel about sports games. Depends on what you like, those are all great games but it's not your thing. No big deal, play what you like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.