Oblivion vs. Dragon Age: origins

#1 Posted by ninjabuddha (5 posts) -

I have oblivion but not dragon age: origins. I dont know if i should get dragon age or not because i loved oblivion and everything about it the world,treasures(armor,items,weapons),storyline,magic, and just everything. I'm asking does dragon age have as much of an open world and finding world as oblivion because i still play oblivion even how old it is i lose hours in it so should i buy dragon age: origins and why compared to oblivion
#2 Edited by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

It's definitely not an open world game, you get from point A to B by way of a transit system, basically just select where you want to go and you're there. That's not to say the game is short though.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

The only thing Oblivion and Dragon Age have in common is that they are both within the RPG genre, thats it. You can't really compare the two. If you like Oblivion this much chances are that you'll like Dragon Age (though don't count it). The best suggestion I can give you is maybe you should first rent it, or you plan on playing it on the PC then maybe borrow it from some you know, then if you'll get into it then buy it.  I wish I did that with Fall out 3. I bought the game simply for the fact that I liked Oblivion a lot but I ended up not liking it at all. 

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

Both are different games, it's easier to compare DragonAge to Mass Effect. But if you're into the fantasy setting and Western RPGs, I'm sure you'll enjoy DragonAge.

#5 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Yeah, Oblivion is completely different from Dragon Age. Sure they're both medieval fantasy games, but that's like the only similarity. I wouldn't even say they were in the same RPG genre... although both are 'numbers' RPGs .

#6 Posted by ninjabuddha (5 posts) -

are there any side missions in it or do you just do the storyline and level up and stuff
#7 Posted by tbone81889 (162 posts) -

Both are excellent, but I would have to choose Dragon Age over Oblivion, because its story focused and the NPC's are much more engaging.  That being said Oblivion came out more than three years ago, and I can't wait for Elder Scrolls V. 

@ninjabuddha:
  There are plenty of side missions in Dragon Age: Origins to keep you busy
#8 Posted by ThisArmyStud (55 posts) -

Yeah they are nothing alike. While both Amazing, and both in the fantasy RPG sub genres, thats all they have in common. Dragon Age is the medival, streamlines version of Mass Effect. So if you have played Mass Effect and didnt like it, chances are you will not like Dragon Age.

#9 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Bethesda games are built around exploration first and everything else second.  Basically you're allowed to do anything at any time and the games don't set limits really (even when they should).  Bioware games are based around stories and NPCs.  For example in Dragon Age every single shopkeeper has their own unique personality.  And the combat in Bioware games (outside of Jade Empire and Mass Effect to some degree) is much more complicated since its heavily party based instead of individual based.

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Isn't Dragon Age more similar to Balders Gate? That's probably a better comparison, a modern Balders Gate.

#11 Posted by danhusain (35 posts) -
@ninjabuddha: If you really enjoyed Oblivion, you could always try Fallout 3.  I mean, it's developed my Bethesda, and shares many  parallels to Oblivion
#12 Posted by martinvsyolatengo (39 posts) -

it doesn't hurt a bit watching video reviews. 

:) 

#13 Posted by Venom09 (108 posts) -

Yeah just watch the quick look and review on the site

#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

They're both different types of RPGs, but that said, I still got more enjoyment out of Dragon Age.

#15 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

this is like comparing gears of war to halo 3 they are completely different

#16 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -

screw Oblivion play Morrowind.

#17 Posted by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

I could never get into Oblivion, and I absolutely love Dragon Age.

#18 Posted by pause422 (6201 posts) -

This is...really dumb. They are nothing alike. Dragon Age is amazing, by the way, Oblivion doesnt even come close to touching it even if you did enjoy it.  Seriously, this is a terrible comparison.

#19 Posted by Nick (673 posts) -
@ninjabuddha:

I loved Oblivion, I spent hundreds of hours playing that game and it never got old. That being said, Dragon Age is a different styled rpg focusing more on tactics and story, but it is still awesome in it's own right.
#20 Posted by ninjabuddha (5 posts) -

I have never played those other games and i hated mass effect!!
#21 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@ninjabuddha said:
"    I have oblivion but not dragon age: origins. I dont know if i should get dragon age or not because i loved oblivion and everything about it the world,treasures(armor,items,weapons),storyline,magic, and just everything. I'm asking does dragon age have as much of an open world and finding world as oblivion because i still play oblivion even how old it is i lose hours in it so should i buy dragon age: origins and why compared to oblivion "
It's not really an open world but you are not forced into completing things in a linear fashion.  If you are familiar with Fallout 1 and 2 you may recall pulling up a world map and selecting a destination, then watching your character's icon move across the map towards the destination.  Sometimes your travel will be interrupted by random encounters, sometimes it won't be.
#22 Posted by Robiin (297 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:
" I could never get into Oblivion, and I absolutely love Dragon Age. "
Same for me! I felt confused playing Oblivion, and felt the game never introduced me to the world. And that's comming from someone playing Fallout 3 to death.
#23 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

its a great game but personally I much prefer oblivion.

#24 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@ninjabuddha said:
" are there any side missions in it or do you just do the storyline and level up and stuff "
Oh there are plenty of side quests with lots of good story that is very engaging.

Though as others have said, you can't really compare Oblivion and Dragon Age. Beside being western made RPGs they don't have similarities really. You could compare Oblivion to Fallout 3 or Dragon Age to Mass Effect (in some regards) but not the two. Though if you love Oblivion, I would guess you will really enjoy Dragon Age too. Unless the big thing for you was free roaming, then maybe you will feel hindered. But if you like story AT ALL, Dragon Age is the place to be, right away! :)
#25 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

This comparison alone makes me want to play Dragon Age. I totally hated Oblivion, then completely loved Fallout 3. Hey, maybe I'll like Dragon Age!

#26 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Well dragon age is linear, not alot of free roaming and the side quest imo are aweful, good graphics (on the pc) and the view is in third person. You also get to work with a team and you get to use tactics. Oblivion is the opposite, it's not linear at all, the side quest are way better, graphics are worst by default, it's in first person, however you can change that and your all by yourself, no team. To me they are both equally good, AAA games, i'm talking about the pc version since those are the version i've played.

#27 Posted by MetalR (422 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" This is...really dumb. They are nothing alike. Dragon Age is amazing, by the way, Oblivion doesnt even come close to touching it even if you did enjoy it.  Seriously, this is a terrible comparison. "
Lol.
#28 Posted by Bobdaman18 (700 posts) -

I feel like dragon age is kind of like reading a choose your own adventure book.  Its got some solid gameplay to it but i'm playing it just to watch the really great story lines unfold and because of the good job they do with character development.  Allistar is my boy, there will always be a party spot open for him.
#29 Edited by dagas (2868 posts) -

Oblivion is nothing like DA: Origins. Oblivion is about the open world and explore and doesn't have a great story. DA is way more story driven. They have as much in common as Ridge Racer and Forza Motorsport or Rainbow 6 and Quake. You may like them both, but it will be for different reasons.

#30 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

OH MAN I FUCKING LOVE THIS THREAD. IT'S TOTALLY NECESSARY AND AWESOME. I MIGHT PUT IT INTO MY BOOKMARKS, IT'S THAT GOOD.

#31 Posted by Veektarius (4922 posts) -

Oranges are overrated.  Not only do you have to peel them, but oftentimes the fruit inside isn't really even nearly as sweet as the orange 'ideal'.

#32 Posted by Tridrakious (42 posts) -

I go with Dragon Age. 

It's difficult because they are both very amazing games, but Dragon Age: Origins just seems to be more of everything. I like the characters. The plot. The interesting relationship system, etc. I just love it. Multiple beginnings and endings.
#33 Posted by Rapture (265 posts) -

Despite them having a very different gameplay style, i without a doubt will go with Dragon Age, it made Oblivion feel like childs play.

#34 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

the main similarity between the two is that they're both fucking awesome

#35 Posted by dr3day (74 posts) -
@ThisArmyStud said:
" Yeah they are nothing alike. While both Amazing, and both in the fantasy RPG sub genres, thats all they have in common. Dragon Age is the medival, streamlines version of Mass Effect. So if you have played Mass Effect and didnt like it, chances are you will not like Dragon Age. "
I have to disagree. Don't go into Dragon Age thinking it's like Mass Effect, the two games are very different. Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to Baldur's gate, a top-down isometric party strategy RPG. The combat is different from Mass Effect, the dialogue system is different, and the world is much larger than Mass Effect. You can hate Mass Effect and still love Dragon Age, it's all based on personal preference. Dragon Age definitely is not Oblivion though, so don't expect the level of open-world freedom you got from Oblivion.
#36 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I hated Oblivion with a passion, and I love Dragon Age Origins. DA:O has the better storyline by far and is a more linear and story-focused experience, with better action setpieces than Oblivion. I can see why people would like Oblivion more though, it is more open world.

@dr3day said:

" @ThisArmyStud said:
" Yeah they are nothing alike. While both Amazing, and both in the fantasy RPG sub genres, thats all they have in common. Dragon Age is the medival, streamlines version of Mass Effect. So if you have played Mass Effect and didnt like it, chances are you will not like Dragon Age. "
I have to disagree. Don't go into Dragon Age thinking it's like Mass Effect, the two games are very different. Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to Baldur's gate, a top-down isometric party strategy RPG. The combat is different from Mass Effect, the dialogue system is different, and the world is much larger than Mass Effect. You can hate Mass Effect and still love Dragon Age, it's all based on personal preference. Dragon Age definitely is not Oblivion though, so don't expect the level of open-world freedom you got from Oblivion. "

The world in Dragon Age Origins isn't larger than in Mass Effect. There's just more to do in DA:O, and the quests are generally much more time consuming and involve dispatching many more enemies. DA:O is also harder than ME, so maybe that's why you have that impression.
#37 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

I loved Fallout 3, but I couldn't stand Oblivion. I was bored shitless from the start trying to figure out what kind of fucking game it was & whether I'd have to zoom into the ground all the time to hunt for shit.  I don't feel that way about DOA though.

#38 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Oblivion!

#39 Posted by kevinlay (1 posts) -

I prefer Oblivion than DAO...... 

coz i feel free to explore the world..... 
dragon age is good but it's much-much easier than Oblivion....(for me) 

but they're just AWESOME!! 
( sorry for my english, coz i am not western.....i'm from asia) 

#40 Posted by Lamashtu (254 posts) -

I had a cousin who came to Dragon Age because he adored Morrowind and Oblivion and he's having an absolute blast (aside from Mass Effect 2, it's been the only game he's been playing since it came out). But, if you're coming into this game hoping to see the thriving mod community that Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3 has like I did, you'll be sadly disappointed (I fucking swear, the nudity/better sex scene mods to quality mods ratio is goddamn obscene).    
#41 Posted by SpawnMan (748 posts) -

Dude, see my post in http://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age-origins/61-20738/why-oh-why-is-this-game-so-bad/35-403935/#45 - Oblivion beats DAO hands down on the console. It's not open-world, has bad graphics, is so boring, and the combat is shocking. Do do it, whatever you do!

#42 Posted by ThePencil (390 posts) -

Dragon Age hands down for me. Oblivion was poor to alright but if DA:O was devoid of everything that made it perhaps one of my all time favourite games (Beaten by Baldurs Gate 2) except its awesome voice work, it'd still win that race.

Because Claudia Black wasnt in Oblivion.

#43 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I liked three non-playable characters in Dragon Age and they were Herren, Wade, and crazy hermit dude.  In Oblivion, just one dude and that was Adoring Fan and he died.  So Dragon Age.

#44 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" screw Oblivion play Morrowind. "
#45 Posted by Tornac (134 posts) -

Dragon Age's combat is deeper, more varied, more strategic, and provides many more options than Oblivion. Also, the story is way better. However, it requires a much larger investment, but if you've got the time, there's no better fantasy RPG available on the current generation of consoles.

#46 Posted by mark2000 (111 posts) -

I didn't like oblivion that much in the long run but I find the engine it uses to be better than Origins' considering how old it is already. For one, every thing looks breathtakingly beautiful without being too much of a burden to the hardware which is more than I can say for Origins which still looks like shit even after setting everything to max and becoming an absolute strain on the hardware. The other positive aspect in Oblivion that I find the most important though is that no matter how many things are happening on screen, THERE IS NO COMBAT LAG. Seriously, Origins is the first game I've ever played that can crap out this badly to the point of being unbearable.

I still think Origins is superior in gameplay though. The level/skill progression system is much more streamlined this time compared to before. Even simple things like Substituting 3 extra levels of coercion by playing a Cunning-based build helps prevent the player from spreading too thin when spending points which is is something I definitely hated when playing KOTOR. There's also more role-playing in Origins than in Oblivion too if only because playing efficiently in Oblivion means 'always having a bit of every thing' and that is not role-playing.

Anyway, both games are pretty good in their own way.  I'm the kind of guy that prefers gameplay over graphics though so I'm much more fond of Origins. It's just depressing that this game has such high system requirements even though I know a lot of older games that looks and runs much better than this even with older hardware.

#47 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" It's definitely not an open world game, you get from point A to B by way of a transit system, basically just select where you want to go and you're there. That's not to say the game is short though. "

I call this a plus. Forcing dudes to trod over an uninteresting overworld is not a good thing, Bethesda. It makes the world "bigger", but that's only a plsu to people who don't have a life. Everything in DA is custom mapped and it shows in the combat, Oblivion is clearly generating random dungeons and it shows in the combat.
#48 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Oblivion hands down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.