Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Oh boy, launch day DLC!

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By InsanePotato

You ARE getting a full game. Its just in your mind that you aren't getting one because they're releasing more content. If they didn't release this DLC for another month or two I almost guarantee you'd get to the end of the game and feel satisfied and felt you got your moneys worth regardless.
    I dont work for EA or Bioware but i respect them and the quality of there products in general. 

Once again i don't understand why you feel you can rob them of there fair share when they've put in additional effort. If this turns out to be a 6hr game and they charge for the extra content sure I think your arguing and complaining is valid. But if it does turn out to be a 10 - 20 hour affair then they deserve to get more money for extending your experience further.  

You need to understand that products have a certain scope and have a value attached at that. We're talking about a AAA title with theoretically 10+ hrs here. At what point do you get to make more money as a developer? 20hrs? 30? When you buy a car you get a bare bones machine, they make extras which may improve your experience but they aren't a necessity to achieve the products original goals right. I LIKE getting things for free yes, but i don't ever expect to and I don't complain when i don't get freebies. Life isn't a handout where you give nothing back, people and yes even big fat corporations deserve to get something back.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By Kazona

This DLC content sounds an awful lot like the extras you get when buying the collector's edition of the game.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By endaround

In many ways it is.  If it wasn't  part of the Digital Deluxe edition the Warden's Keep probably not be Day 1,  As it is, I would only be slightly surprised if it gets delayed a bit anyway.

InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By InsanePotato
    @TheSmilingDude: Yeah not really sure on that one. I guess initially if you finish it fast and want another hit the DLC will be your highest quality added content. If you can wait a few months for people to learn the tools properly the free user made content will definitely be the way to go.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By endaround

The Warden's Keep includes full polish, meaning voice overs and full cut scenes.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ryoma122
    @Diamond:
    why are you so excited about a game thats not out yet  and wont be out till november
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108  Edited By JoelTGM

Well that's a rotten thing to do. 

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#109  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @TheSmilingDude: Those of us buying the game on consoles won't have that luxury unfortunately.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#110  Edited By Dustpan
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @Diamond said:

" @trophyhunter said:

they announced months ago that they are going to make a year of DLC  get the fuck over it you don't have to buy and they really are not taking stuff away from you

They already made the DLC and could have included it in the game.  If you're so keen on paying for things you shouldn't, maybe you should set up a fund to pay for Giant Bomb users' games? "
     This summarizes the reaction to me.

March delay --> Fan Reaction: Boo!

BioWare Responds:
    Wednesday, 02 September 2009 03:02AM 

You're waiting because it isn't done yet.

Interesting fact, by polishing the PC version and shipping it with the 360 version, we have added an additional 65 quests into the game for the PC and console versions.

So be patient and wait. It is coming as soon as it is ready.  

Fan's Reactiont --> 65 New Quests. F'ya! Bring it on. I <3 BioWare.

While the main development staff is developing the 65 quests, polishing the game and story the DLC Team makes Stone Prisoner. Stone Prisoner is decided to be included FREE with the game.   Fan's Reaction: I get a new character, a stone-freakin-golem and quests related to him! I have to buy the game new? Well I was going to do that anyways! I <3 BioWare.   DLC Development Team begins work on Warden's Keep... and has the audacity to want to get paid for it.   Fan's Reaction: I deserve the entire world! Give me it freeeee! BULLSHIT!   If BioWare wanted all your money, they had 66 chances to hold back free stuff that was not included in the release that was slated to come out March. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure they're made of evil, too.  *rolls eyes* "
    This ^^^^
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111  Edited By demontium

Great.... Its becoming a trend.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I might be done buying DLC from Bioware. The first DLC for Mass Effect wasn't all that great. I would have had an S rank, if it wasn't for that second download.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SolemnOaf

Western capitalist society is unsustainable due in part to circumstances just such as this.  A large, uncaring and impersonal entity makes a decision no one is happy with, everybody whines and whines but nobody does a thing.  So it is now with this small, inconsequential thing, so it will be again with large, pivotal things.  You, my fair-weathered friends, are all doomed.  Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.  Mankind's greatest achievement in the history of it's evolution will be when it decides to destroy itself.  You'll probably fuck that up though, too.
    Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114  Edited By Yodasdarkside

While launch-day DLC is indeed a cynical move (I'm looking at you Square-Enix) beyond reproach, any 'pressure' to buy it comes from the player themselves, as no-one wants to feel like they're missing out on something, especially RPG players, with their fetish for collecting stuff.  Companies are in this for the money, and DLC is a convenient, non-returnable and long-lasting stream of revenue.  As someone else said, DA is likely to be an enormous game anyway; get through a fair chunk of it before getting the DLC, I say.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By Milkman

This is what happens with the industry now. Learn to deal with it because complaining about it every time it happens isn't going to help anything.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By mordukai
    @Weltal said:
    " *Shrug* Don't buy it? Any company has every right to try and make as much money off their customers that they want, they can screw you and you can take it or you can tell them to fuck off and send your message. It's all up to you.  In my case I'm pretty hyped about Dragon Age and couldn't give two shits if they released 5 payed DLC launch day because I'm very unlikely to pay for DLC the first day I own a game. "
    Pretty much that. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By pweidman

This new trend of boldly announcing DLC b4 games drop is maddening to me.  But more to my point is, how is this good marketing?  This will only wear away at the base of gamers who were ready to buy the game, and how does it support the DLC sales?  I for one won't buy it on principal.  

It's like EA is just saying and thinking consumers may complain but they're idiots and will blindly accept anything we try and buy our products regardless.  In fact this kind of PR sends a poor message that results in the ever so hard working devs getting less monitary rewards in the form of less game and DLC sales.  I just don't get the idea from a business standpoint, nor the defenders who act like it's just the way it is, or oh joy, look we're so lucky they made more content b4 launch...
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By adziboy
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " Secondly, the game already comes with a free DLC"

No, it doesn't. The game comes missing a section of it and they tell us it's free. It's like Call of Duty (just an example) and they don't include multiplayer - but then offer it as a free DLC on launch day.
    ChandlerL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ChandlerL
    @superfoot said:

@onyxghost said: I can't say I understand the logic of DLC on the first day myself.

According to various Bioware interviews and press releases, the content was frozen a number of months ago but rather than releasing the game in the state it was in, they said it needed further polishing. This usually means bug squashing but not content changes-- in the meantime, DLC development was full steam ahead --  while the release date of the game was being pushed back, some of the DLC was completed. I believe the last push back was a release date of October 20th pushed to November 3rd.
    Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Alphawolfy

Hmmmm... couldn't we just get the game and NOT buy the paid DLC at launch? Then if you think it's worth it you can choose to buy the DLC. No need for complaints in my opinion... *shrugs*

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#121  Edited By damswedon

Bioware came out and said that the DLC is Mid-game content so there is no real reason to wait a month after release when those people who will buy the DLC are already at the Level-cap.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122  Edited By Vaile
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " Wow. The amount of ignorant griping is almost too much for me on these forums lately.

Yes, there is a dedicated DLC team that will create quality content for Dragon Age for the future and believe it or not, sales is one indicator to show whether or not fans think it's necessary or wanted - or more specifically, if they're doing a good job. Secondly, the game already comes with a free DLC, pending you buy the game new and not previously owned.  It's not as if they're charging you for Horse Armor. And if they are... guess what, don't buy the DLC. Wait until all the reviewers tell you that it's a great buy, as this game will be, and you're forced to swallow your inane amount of bitching and play a quality game.  Or not. Go play an FPS. "
    What's this? An educated comment?

If you don't want the DLC, don't buy it. I know I'm not until months after the game is released.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#123  Edited By alexl86

Many publishers who are doing dlc probably have some of it ready for launch day, but hold off until a few weeks have passed. This is probably something they planned to be release as dlc in the first place and since it probably would've been dlc anyway, I don't mind it being released on launch day.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm sure it's been posted before, but without reading through all five pages..

Games aren't developed up until the very second they've come out.  A lot of people who were working on the game would have been finished months and months ago and would have been free to work on other things.  What's wrong with having them jumping right on to making more content?  It's not like the content was ever planned to be in the game, and if they wanted to add it into the final release, it would mean delays.  People complain when DLC comes too late, and when it comes too early.. what do you want?

The idea here was that the DLC would come a few months after release, but seeing as the game was delayed pretty heavily, they'll know both be out at the same time.  Thankfully, they decided to make it free, the only catch being that you need to buy a new version of the game.  I really don't understand what the problem is.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#125  Edited By spacetrucking

This is just getting retarded now. Months of delays, bad marketing decisions and vendor exclusive pre-orders deals have left a really bad impression on me. This game has slowly gone from a "mustbuy" status last year to a "rental/wait and watch" game. I like BioWare games, more than any other RPG developer but this is just poor form. I might still end up buying the game but this will leave a bad taste.

Not cool BioWare.

CrisHigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By CrisHigg
    @Weltal said:
    " *Shrug* Don't buy it? Any company has every right to try and make as much money off their customers that they want, they can screw you and you can take it or you can tell them to fuck off and send your message. It's all up to you.  In my case I'm pretty hyped about Dragon Age and couldn't give two shits if they released 5 payed DLC launch day because I'm very unlikely to pay for DLC the first day I own a game. "
    Couldn't put it better myself.  Bioware and EA are a business of course they want to make money.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Killjoy said:
    " This is just getting retarded now. Months of delays, bad marketing decisions and vendor exclusive pre-orders deals have left a really bad impression on me. This game has slowly gone from a "mustbuy" status last year to a "rental/wait and watch" game. I like BioWare games, more than any other RPG developer but this is just poor form. I might still end up buying the game but this will leave a bad taste.  Not cool BioWare. "
    I have to agree with this.. I still plan on buying the game, but there were a few times I've seriously considered not getting it, and I'd slap poor communication on to your list of complaints.  Europe is getting screwed out of most of the goodies in the collectors edition, while still having to pay the same price which to be fair isn't that unusual, but we weren't even sure if we were getting the free DLC unless you buy the CE.  The whole situation has been a total disaster.

And there's so many pre-order / special event / promotional give away / flash game items you need to collect by doing other things it's almost impossible to keep track of.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Teran
    @Diamond said:
     Launch day DLC is always a bad sign.  They have this content ready and should be including it in the product.  Instead they've already planned to milk their customers for the extra money.  Say what you will but Bioware does seem to have changed since being bought by EA.  The marketing angle of Dragon Age, the platforms, and now paid DLC even on PC... "

You know I felt the same way you do  but I've since changed my mind.  Launch day dlc is a terrible idea unless it's handled well.  In the case of Dragon Age, it's being bundled with some (all?) of the collector's edition version of the games.  Allowing people to buy the extra content for less than the upgrade cost to the CE is alright with me because it's giving consumers more options. 

My fear is that this is a slippery slope and companies might start selling half a game for full price with the intent to sell the other half over time essentially making us buy the game two or three times over.  I don't think that's what is going on here as Dragon Age has made some pretty big promises about how much content in the game and I can't fault fallout 3 either because again, we got a full, fun, rewarding, long game when we bought it.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Gregomasta

I should buy fallout 3.  I don't mind so much with dragon age, I loved kotor(recently bought and played the hell out of it) and if I enjoy the world, my character, and the story enough I don't mind paying more for it, they're not forcing me to buy it, and I'm positive the game is just as enjoyable without it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#130  Edited By Jayge_

Just popped in to say that I was right on the first page. The toolset will be powerful enough to create entire campaign's worth of original content with original assets. Possibly not within a few days, but still. Just saying.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#131  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @Diamond: 
    There's actually 2 launch day DLCs. Both of them come with the Digital Deluxe edition on steam. Which I pre-purchased awhile ago. The game is really really long from what I hear. It's better then most games that tend to be way too short. *Cough* Brutal Legend *Cough*

Also that Tool Set stuff looks awesome. Can't wait to see what to community will do with that!
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Pibo47

Yeahhhh. Im not bothering with dragon age until i can get all the dlc 's at once in one big pack.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Diamond

I'm requesting this thread be locked as the game is officially out, and the purpose of the thread has been served.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#134  Edited By mike
    Locked at request of OP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.