PC or 360: Which to buy?

#1 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

This would be straight forward but I'm running an nVidia 8600 GTS and 2GB RAM, so I'm not sure how well it would run. Another thing to factor in would be the fact that the PC version is a lot cheaper (40%) .  

Basically it all comes down to whether the 360 version would have gameplay flaws that outweigh the graphical flaws in the PC version that I would be running. Advice please?

#2 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

PC, user modules will extend the game's life, Neverwinter Nights style. Also better controls. As for visuals, maybe you'll have to hold back initially, but as you'll still be enjoying modules down the road if the game manages to earn a prosperous community, then you'll enjoy the full visuals later. And really, it's a CRPG, who plays those just for the visuals? I hope the game's interesting far beyond those :-)

#3 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I chose the PC over 360 due to the fact that it looks like the controls area alot less clunky on the PC

#4 Posted by Alex_V (615 posts) -

I've preordered on PC too - looks like one of those games where you'll really get the benefits of the PC.

#5 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

If you really have to ask this question it makes you a bad person.  Honestly though I think it can run it, and besides its not like its a fast paced game.

#6 Edited by dagas (2840 posts) -

There are a lot of PC-fanatics here I guess since most people exited about DA are long time PC gamers who played BG and the like. However I bet it will be great on console as well. I'm buying it on 360 since I have a Radeon 4350 which is more of a HTPC video card than a gaming video card. 

I bet you will be pleased either way. Depends on if you are a hard core old school BG gamer then I bet it's better on PC. If you had a better video card I would say PC, but since you are unlikely to be able to play at more than medium it depends how much you care about controls and user generated content. Personally I'm slighly more used to playing with a 360 control pad than a mouse and I don't care much about mods since the game will be more than enough to fill the gap until Mass Effect 2 is out. Not that I meant to say that DA is just a gap filler. I bet both games will be so great I could play them both for several months like I did with ME1. 

For me the story and characters are more important than combat and graphics anyway which is the only difference between 360 and PC.

#7 Posted by Jman522 (401 posts) -

I hear the layout of the PC version's layout is much more elegant then the 360 version.

#8 Posted by Alphawolfy (325 posts) -

Depends on whether you care much about the graphics in general. I think you'll run it on low-ish settings, but the PC version DOES have better controls and interface in my opinion. (and I'm not a "hard core old school BG gamer" either-never actually played any Bioware games before)

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'd definitely say the PC would be the better choice if you're into things like Baldurs Gate.
The console version interface has had to be extremely simplified, and although it looks like it works very well, I'd probably still go for the PC one.

Personally, I'm not a big PC gamer and if there's ever a choice, I'll go for the console version with few exceptions.  Here I'd still much rather sit on my couch and play it on my TV and the actual gameplay is apparantly completely identical.  And in my opinion, user created content added nothing to games like Neverwinter Nights, with the exception of the really big, official content that you had to buy, and that sort of stuff will come to the consoles anyway.

So yeah, if you feel like me, go for the console versions.
If you'd rather play it like a Baldur's Gate, over top viewpoint game, then go for the PC.

#10 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

This ecomes even harder for me because I enjoyed Mass Effect alot for the 360, but this looks like the PC version is pretty good. I'm probably more inclined to the PC version but I'm not set yet.

#11 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

The 360 version looks worse than the PC version, so even if you can't run everything at maximum, it could still be on par or look better than the 360 version. I'm not really knowledgable on PC specs though, so i'm not even sure how powerful your hardware is anyway.

#12 Posted by lauren1234 (1 posts) -

360 thats what you by 360
#13 Posted by Slaveg (50 posts) -

I don't know guys, what are you talking about. Console controls are great, it's just like playing FFXII. If low resolution textures don't make your eyes bleed, then go for 360 version. I'm enjoying it so far and controls don't ruin my experience in none of the ways.

#14 Posted by viklanderviking (198 posts) -

I have the same graphics card as you, and to be on the safe side, I decided to pre-order the 360 version.

#15 Posted by MetalR (422 posts) -

PC version.

#16 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Gamespot says the 360 version is the weakest. So PC looks like the better version. Also, controls are always better on pc for rpgs like this.

#17 Posted by grotto (18 posts) -

I'm hemming and hawing over this... between 360 and PS3.  Achievements are better than trophies, but I think I'm going to go with the PS3.  I have an old iMac that probably won't run it (C2D GT7600 256mb).

#18 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

I'm going with PS3 version, I'm pretty sure it's getting some of the content the PC version is getting.

#19 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I'd go for the PC.. I don't know how well your PC will hold up though. As many others have stated: The PC controls are superior in this game. ( the tactics and whatnot )

#20 Posted by MYFQ (3 posts) -

I'd say get the PC version.

#21 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@zudthespud: Go PC it runs better watch Brad's video review!
#22 Posted by pause422 (6190 posts) -

No competition, PC. Game is a throwback to old CRPGs, it just feels natural. Also, I dislike the wheel thingy on consoles, and prefer to be able to go to a tactical view, which is also disabled from a console. That and the game just looking far better.

Its still completely fine on a console though.

#23 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
#24 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Save yourself some money and get the PC version. I can't imagian it'll look worse then the 360 version but maybe it'll be on par with it.

#25 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @zudthespud: Go PC it runs better watch Brad's video review! "
Are you a fucking moron, It was Dave
#26 Posted by Gr1mace (74 posts) -

Go with the PC version. I picked up the 360 one this morning and though it's still amazing I know my PC could run it WAY mo betta.

#27 Edited by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -
@PeasForFees: Brad was playing during the console version QL. That's probably what he meant.
#28 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @PeasForFees: Brad was playing during the console version QL. That's probably what he meant. "
@PeasForFees said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @zudthespud: Go PC it runs better watch Brad's video review! "
Are you a fucking moron, It was Dave "
Care to read, He clearly states to go with the PC version, Which was reviewed by Dave, and then he says to go to the Video Review, and editing out the "moron" at the end of your post was a wise idea
#29 Posted by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -
@PeasForFees: 
Whatever, I don't know what that guy meant to say. Maybe he just can't distinguish between Brad and the now beardless Dave.

Anyway, as far as the OP's question, I think if you consult pretty much any review, including the one here on GB, you'll see that the PC version is superior in pretty much every way. The 360 one may not be bad, but it seems pretty agreed upon that the PC version is better.
#30 Posted by fynne (303 posts) -

PC version for the better controls.

#31 Posted by Polizei (30 posts) -

I would say pc version... but considering that its not online i would go for the 360 just because i prefer single player games on console.

#32 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

PC for the obvious reasons.

#33 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@PeasForFees: Oh sorry the names muddle me up, dude I suck at names.
#34 Posted by MichaelBach (884 posts) -

I'm going to go with the 360 version, don't want the problems of getting it to run. I am sure there will be a lot of DLC for the 360 also.

#35 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@MichaelBach said:
" I'm going to go with the 360 version, don't want the problems of getting it to run. I am sure there will be a lot of DLC for the 360 also. "
If you have a PC that can run it, I beg you to not, and if anything the PC will get more DLC
#36 Posted by Galbrezu (126 posts) -

PC, can't get user created content on a console :P.

#37 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Get it on PC. I got the 360 version and I feel that the UI is somewhat lacking and combat can be chaotic at times.

#38 Posted by MichaelBach (884 posts) -
@PeasForFees: 
I just have a laptop, 4gb ram, 2ghz duo T5800 with a 512mb Nvidia 9200m gs.

Maybe I can run it, but I always have to fight with settings and so on. On the 360 quicklook it looked like ok controls.

I am sure that there will be an endless supply of DLC for the PC, but still, the official ones are the best and with so many storylines etc already in it I don't think I will ever run out of stuff to do in the game :)
#39 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@MichaelBach said:
" @PeasForFees:  I just have a laptop, 4gb ram, 2ghz duo T5800 with a 512mb Nvidia 9200m gs.  Maybe I can run it, but I always have to fight with settings and so on. On the 360 quicklook it looked like ok controls. I am sure that there will be an endless supply of DLC for the PC, but still, the official ones are the best and with so many storylines etc already in it I don't think I will ever run out of stuff to do in the game :) "
You misunderstand, The PC would more than likely get more DLC as it is the main and better version, but the console is probably still playable
#40 Posted by dstein_909 (11 posts) -

I say go with the Pc for the better controls. If you don't know if you can run it a good website to check out is http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/.  It checks all your hardware and measures it up against a games system requirements, and seems to work pretty good.

#41 Posted by TaccyP (307 posts) -

This game was made for the PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.