PC or PS3?

#1 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -
#2 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -

If you have a capable PC, get it there for sure. I'm sure BioWare will create a competent port to the PS3 and that it will still be a great game there, but it will undoubtedly be 100% better on the PC.

#3 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

So I reserved the game for PS3, as I love sitting on my couch with my Dualshock 3 and playing games. However I've been considering switching my pre-order to the PC version since they announced they would be releasing the character creator for it. I preferred Oblivion on my PS3, but I did enjoy Mass Effect on PC, so I'm up in the air about control setups and whatnot.

So I want to know what the Giant Bombers think. Should I get this game for my PC instead? Keep in mind what I'm looking for is an intuitive interface and smooth, enjoyable gameplay. Graphics are a secondary consideration. Here's the basic specs on my rig:

Vista Home Basic (64-bit)
Athlon 64 X2 DCP 4600+ @2.40GHz
Radeon HD 3870
5.0 GB RAM

Thanks!

#4 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@ververdan0226 said:
" If you have a capable PC, get it there for sure. I'm sure BioWare will create a competent port to the PS3 and that it will still be a great game there, but it will undoubtedly be 100% better on the PC. "
LOL you beat me to posting my specs! Never created a poll b4, but thanks. So this game is being developed for PC and ported to the consoles instead of the other way around eh? That does make a huge difference, IMO.
#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@Adamantium: From a glance, everything looks a-OK.
#6 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I would get it for the PS3.

#7 Edited by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -
@Adamantium: Well, it's not necessarily being ported actually. I think development for all three platforms is happening simultaneously, though I'm pretty sure there main focus is creating a kick-ass PC game that will still play well on a console. That's not to say that their skimping on the console versions though, quite the opposite I believe, just that the game is a more PC-like game that was inspired by their earlier efforts like Baldur's Gate and will likely be better there as a result.
#8 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -
@ververdan0226 said:
"If you have a capable PC, get it there for sure. I'm sure BioWare will create a competent port to the PS3 and that it will still be a great game there, but it will undoubtedly be 100% better on the PC. "
#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

PC FOR LIFE BITCHEZZZZZZZZ

#10 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -

PC all the way no contest

#11 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Adamantium: From a glance, everything looks a-OK. " 
Right on.

@ververdan0226 said:
" @Adamantium: Well, it's not necessarily being ported actually. I think development for all three platforms is happening simultaneously, though I'm pretty sure there main focus is creating a kick-ass PC game that will still play well on a console. That's not to say that their skimping on the console versions though, quite the opposite I believe, just that the game is a more PC-like game that was inspired by their earlier efforts like Baldur's Gate and will likely be better there as a result. "
Ah thanks for the clarification. It's refreshing to hear that a dev is sinking the time and money into multiplat developing. It bodes well for how they feel about their game, maximizing gameplay at the cost of maximizing profit. I'm leaning toward PC right now, and the responses so far have confirmed that feeling.
#12 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -

And what about the xbox360 version?

#13 Edited by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" And what about the xbox360 version? "

It could be wonderful, could be the best ever, it could stand head and shoulders above all the others. But it wouldn't apply to me since I don't have one.

Sorry.
#14 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -
@Adamantium said:
" @Jeust said:

" And what about the xbox360 version? "

It could be wonderful, could be the best ever, it could stand head and shoulders above all the others. But it wouldn't apply to me since I don't have one.  Sorry. "
ok :)
#15 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

PC no contest, this style of game just doesn't hold up on a console, and as your PC is more than able to run this perfectly you might as well get the version that Bioware's really creating this for.

#16 Posted by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -
@Adamantium:

Given the ability, and with your specs - you will definitely be able to run DA:O easily.

Some other things to consider are these following differences that the console version will have compared to the PC.
-No Tactical Zoom
-Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once
-No user mod content
-No toolkit along with it   
 Also, the PS3 is still slated for 'late November" as versus the PC/XBox 360 release date which is confirmed for Nov. 3rd - so with the PS3, you'd be waiting longer.
#17 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -
@DeviantJoker said:
" @Adamantium:  Given the ability, and with your specs - you will definitely be able to run DA:O easily.   Some other things to consider are these following differences that the console version will have compared to the PC.-No Tactical Zoom -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once -No user mod content -No toolkit along with it    Also, the PS3 is still slated for 'late November" as versus the PC/XBox 360 release date which is confirmed for Nov. 3rd - so with the PS3, you'd be waiting longer. "
Don't forget the 20 GB install.

I was ready to buy the PC version, until I heard about that.
#18 Edited by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" ok :) "

:)

@WitchHunter_Z said:

" PC no contest, this style of game just doesn't hold up on a console, and as your PC is more than able to run this perfectly you might as well get the version that Bioware's really creating this for. "

@DeviantJoker said:

" @Adamantium:  Given the ability, and with your specs - you will definitely be able to run DA:O easily.   Some other things to consider are these following differences that the console version will have compared to the PC.-No Tactical Zoom -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once -No user mod content -No toolkit along with it    Also, the PS3 is still slated for 'late November" as versus the PC/XBox 360 release date which is confirmed for Nov. 3rd - so with the PS3, you'd be waiting longer. "

Wowee, thanks guys. Joker, that list almost makes it a dealbreaker for PS3. I didn't realize they were offering a toolkit, although I usually don't get into the user-created mods for games like these very often. However the release date makes a giant difference. Seriously I want the version that comes out before MW2, because that's gonna be a huge time-sink for me. Even a week can make the difference between me getting into the game and forsaking it altogether for some ridiculous FPS action, lol.

@Mooshu said:

" Don't forget the 20 GB install.  I was ready to buy the PC version, until I heard about that. "

Whoa, holy crap. That's huge, but I have the space for it. Not a dealbreaker, but it's good to know.
#19 Posted by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -
@Mooshu said:
" @DeviantJoker said:
Don't forget the 20 GB install.  I was ready to buy the PC version, until I heard about that. "
Ah yes. Generally Hard Drive space is not the limiting factor for folks. If you're skating that close nowadays, with a system that can run DA:O, to being bereft of space... it may be time to invest in an external.  But truthful mention, nonetheless.

@Adamantium: 

No problem. I don't often like to change the opinion of folks, just offer pertinent information. Personally, I really feel the game will be the absolute most polished in the PC version - also the PC users will get the most versatility with the user-made content over the long haul. As for the consoles, if people are fine with the controls (which being a point and click RPGer, I would not be, but for some that is not problem) then they would only miss out on the toolkit + user-made content. But most people don't even bother designing and in the end, the consoles will probably end up receiving some of the very best mods that do come out for the DA:O.

My only wariness for the consoles goes onto it's control scheme for both.. and another targetted on the PS3 because BioWare has yet to release any content of video game footage whatsoever for it to my knowledge, unlike the Xbox360.
#20 Posted by Kycon90 (62 posts) -

It just depends on what games you like.  If you want the bigger commercial games, you need a PS3 because most of them won't be on the PC.  Also, if you want the PS3 exclusive games, you will want a PS3.  Now if you're into nothing but FPS's and RTS's, I would say the PC is for you.  

I don't have a PS3, but I have a 360 and PC.  I prefer this combo better because I get to play all the games I care about.  I use to own a PS3, but I got rid of it since none of the games really mattered to me, MGS4 was the only game I cared about, Resistance and Uncharted were not that great IMO.  

Even with the slim PS3, or I mean the "120 GB PS3", I don't plan on picking one up anytime soon.  I was thinking about picking one up when GT5 comes out, but to be honest, that's really the only game I care about that's coming out soon on the PS3.  And with the way GT PSP was, I've lossed hope for that game, I'm sure it will be dramatically better, but I think Turn 10 has the upper hand on GT5 with Forza 3.  

Also, I don't care about God of War, so with the double pack coming and GoW III around the corner, I could care less.

#21 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -
@Jeust:
who cares about the 360 version lol
#22 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -
@DeviantJoker said:
" @Adamantium:   No problem. I don't often like to change the opinion of folks, just offer pertinent information. Personally, I really feel the game will be the absolute most polished in the PC version - also the PC users will get the most versatility with the user-made content over the long haul. As for the consoles, if people are fine with the controls (which being a point and click RPGer, I would not be, but for some that is not problem) then they would only miss out on the toolkit + user-made content. But most people don't even bother designing and in the end, the consoles will probably end up receiving some of the very best mods that do come out for the DA:O.  My only wariness for the consoles goes onto it's control scheme for both.. and another targetted on the PS3 because BioWare has yet to release any content of video game footage whatsoever for it to my knowledge, unlike the Xbox360. "
No worries. If I was concerned about my opinion being changed I wouldn't have posted the OP, I'm open-minded. If the cost of both versions is going to be the same I'm simply looking for the best experience. My PC monitor isn't nearly as big as my TV, but I'd forgo the luxury of my couch+console for the luxury of the best gameplay experience that DA:O has to offer.

The biggest things that raised my flag were the release of the character creator and the control schemes. PC is generally much more intuitive, but more to handle and keymap, which I don't mind, but I only want to micromanage those things in a game that makes having a more detailed control scheme worthwhile, which DA:O seems like it is.

I also didn't realize that no footage of the PS3 version had been released yet. It's hard to know which videos/ads were produced using which hardware/software without doing the research, which, regrettably, I haven't done.

@Kycon90 said:
" It just depends on what games you like.  If you want the bigger commercial games, you need a PS3 because most of them won't be on the PC.  Also, if you want the PS3 exclusive games, you will want a PS3.  Now if you're into nothing but FPS's and RTS's, I would say the PC is for you.
Lol sorry I already own both PS3 and PC, I'm strictly wondering which version of DA:O will provide the best experience, as this seems like a pretty big release for anyone into fantasy RPGs like myself. Thanks for the input tho.
#23 Posted by Jehuty_X (44 posts) -

I'm getting it for 360, but between the PS3 and the PC, I'd get it for PC.

#24 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

Hey, I might be slightly biased since PC is all I own at the moment (the system that I prefer by leaps and bounds), but from the look of things Dragon Age will be vastly superior on a PC. Especially with scripting your buddies and that stuff, could be messy with a console interface.

#25 Posted by MrGetBonus (781 posts) -

PC yo. No Contest.

#26 Posted by Mikemcn (6875 posts) -

PC, how else are you going to get the nude mods, i mean player created quests....... 

But yea, PC is th superior platform for this type of game.
#27 Posted by Evilsbane (4333 posts) -

Yea your computer is good enough to play the game and have it look good theres just way to many plus sides for the PC version I will miss the achievement points on the 360 (or I guess trophies for you) but I built my computer for games so yea PC ftw.

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

If you PC can handle it, get it on PC.  If not, get it on your PS3 then.

#29 Posted by unangbangkay (142 posts) -

20Gb install?! Feh, 1Tb portable hard drives  are a quarter the cost of a new 360 HDD these days!

Anyway, it's PC all the way on my end. "Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" equates to "You're going to want a mouse and spacebar." 

Re: Achievement points: If you're that sort of person, there's always the chance that DA will be Games for Windows LIVE enabled. Sucks though it may, it DOES transfer achievements. Plus, if you have a 360, you can even rent the 360 version one day and play through it for double the points!

#30 Posted by piropeople13 (398 posts) -

You seem to have a good rig there so I would definitely get it on your stronger system, PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.