Permanently stunned

#1 Posted by dad0ktdid (23 posts) -

So I beat the game on the 360 back when it first came out but I am giving it a go on the pc. I am having an issue with it occasionally freezing in the middle of a battle with my characters stunned until they die. Anyone experience this? Any thoughts on how to avoid it?

#2 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Does it happen with any kind of enemy or only in a certain location, or a certain enemy?
First thing I'd  do is patch the game, if that doesn't work try re-installing the game.

#3 Posted by dad0ktdid (23 posts) -

It kind of happens at random, typically when I have not save for about 45 minutes and really should have. I will try re-installing as everything is patched already. Thanks!

#4 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

I searched around a bit, but i couldn't find much for this particular problem. Now, what do you actually mean by "freezing"? Like your characters stops and then you'll get the stun-stars over their heads? or like the game / picture stops and then everything applies with several seconds delay followed by them being unable to move? And also, do you run any mods?

*Restart your PC - A simple restart can help a lot in some cases
*re-installing - Something may have happen in the install process
*Fully update the game - Bugs, glitches and errors may have already been fixed in updates. and from unofficial updates too (mods)
*Fully update your DirectX, OS, drivers etc - Sometimes an outdated PC can cause several problems. 
*Use several tools to scan your PC for register errors, and disk defrags - A healthy PC is a good PC. 
*Run the game as admin - Having full rights for the game could in theory help.

That's basically what i can offer and come up with at this point. I hope you get this sorted out soon.

#5 Edited by Teran (877 posts) -
@dad0ktdid said:

It kind of happens at random, typically when I have not save for about 45 minutes and really should have. I will try re-installing as everything is patched already. Thanks!

The game should be autosaving before most major battles.  If you turned that off, I'd recommend turning it back on.

I've logged more than 200 hours into the pc version and never saw anything like that.  My only suggestion would be trying to rotate through each party member (pausing the game with space bar) and issuing commands manually.  Sometimes your allies would stop acting, typically when they get knocked back (the stumble back animation) but not knocked down.  This especially happened on the dragon fights, but on occasion would happen against other larger creatures like the ogres.

They weren't stunned though, they would just stand in place like they tried to attack the enemy but were out of melee range and the game didn't tell them to move closer and try again.  If they are stunned usually you can pause the game and see what negative modifiers are applied to them if it was from an enemy.  If there are no negative modifiers, try issuing a manual attack (or any other manual) command.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.