Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Platform questions

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By raidingkvatch

So firstly I'm definitely going to get Dragon Age: Origins on one platform or another, my standard platform of choice is the 360, but I do also have a ps3. Obviously I want to get the best experience possible from Dragon Age which would mean getting it for the PC, but I doubt my Pc can handle it, here are my specs taken from X-Fire

Manufacturer: MSI
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1984MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 370 GB Total
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
    Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 5.1
    Keyboard: USB Root Hub
    Mouse: USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Motherboard:
    Computer Case:
    So should I hold off and upgrade my PC so it's at least an adequte gaming rig (and how much would that cost, considering, I'm really not v tech-y and probabl;y wouldn't be upgrading it myself)? 

Or should I just get a console version, and if I do which console? I've heard it looks better and has less load times on PS3 but that would mean a lack of acheivements. Please give me some advice, thanks.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

- Your PC cannot handle it as it is. 
    - Upgrading is so stupidly easy, that you would be a sucker to pay someone else to do it. 
    - The PC version is vastly superior. 
    - You probably shouldn't upgrade your PC for 1 game (first, decide if there are other PC games you would want to play).

Avatar image for viklanderviking
    viklanderviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By viklanderviking

Well, if you decide to go with a console version you probably wanna know the difference between the two. From what I´ve heard the ps3 version looks quite alot better, but has more frequent framerate issues and bugs. So if your like me, and cant stand an uneven framerate, you should probably go for the 360 version. (And of course, the 360 version has achivements.)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a fancy table.

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Galbrezu
    @raidingkvatch: 
    Only thing on your rig that isn't powerful enough for the game is your video card, which on the whole is an easy upgrade.

1) Buy card.
    2) Remove old card.
    3) Plug in new card. 
    4) Enjoy

You might have to uninstall old drivers and replace them with new ones if you decide to switch from your nVidia based card to an ATI card.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

Really, the only thing that is keeping your computer back from being able to do some decent gaming on it is a new graphics card which right now are dirt cheap considering the performance. but if you don't want to spend $60-$80 on a new graphics card I've heard that the console versions of Dragon Age are still quite competent.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By VWGTI

Yea, that graphics card is not up to par for the game. Replace that and you're golden.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By raddevon

You're fine save the video card. Put about $100 into a new one, and you should be set unless you absolutely have to max every setting while running 60FPS.

UPDATE: Just finished reading your post. (I should probably do that before posting a reply, eh?) Even if you're not tech-y, you can upgrade the video card. It's very easy to do, and a shop would charge you an arm and a leg to do it. Feel free to PM me, and I will help you any way I can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.