Proper Quest Order?

#1 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Even though I've already finished the game once, I've had this craving of playing it again recently. I think it's because of all the fantasy books I've been reading lately (Song of Ice and Fire, Name of the Wind, etc).

Anyways I started a new game since I didn't like some of old choices (like taking Morigan's offer) and I just picked up the Ultimate edition since I haven't played Awakening or most of the other DLC.

What's the proper quest order. I just finished Lotherin but I'm at a loss as what to do next. I know you should do the Mage Tower before Redcliffe, but do I need to do the Elves before that? If there's no set order, what is the preferred one?

Also I want to sacrifice my character in the final battle since I feel like that is the proper ending, but will that effect the Witch Hunt DLC? Has Bioware mentioned what the canonical ending should be? I want a good save file for DA2...

#2 Edited by Tearhead (2168 posts) -
#3 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Tearhead: Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. 

Although it still doesn't answer my question about Witch Hunt. I'm gonna romance Morigan but I don't want to use the Dark Ritual ending since it just feels cheap so I was not even going to talk to her so she never brings it up and doesnt leave my party, so how will that work in the Witch Hunt DLC? I tried googling for it, but I don't want to spoil what happens so I keep hitting a wall.
#4 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @Tearhead: Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.  Although it still doesn't answer my question about Witch Hunt. I'm gonna romance Morigan but I don't want to use the Dark Ritual ending since it just feels cheap so I was not even going to talk to her so she never brings it up and doesnt leave my party, so how will that work in the Witch Hunt DLC? I tried googling for it, but I don't want to spoil what happens so I keep hitting a wall. "
Unfortunately, the conversation is forced, and if you don't take the deal, then she leaves. I know that if you try to import your dead Warden into Awakening, the ending will be retconned. I don't know how that affects DLC, though. You could always let Alistair kill the Archdemon.
#5 Edited by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I don't think you can avoid the dark ritual coming up.  She's just going to walk into your room at the end and see if you want to get it on regardless.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

I don't believe there is a proper quest order. I usually go in order of however I characterise my Warden. ;P Getting the Circle of Magi outta the way is more than often a top priority, though.

#7 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" I don't believe there is a proper quest order. I usually go in order of however I characterise my Warden. ;P Getting the Circle of Magi outta the way is more than often a top priority, though. "
Yup, I'd say start with the Circle.
#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Vaile said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @Tearhead: Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.  Although it still doesn't answer my question about Witch Hunt. I'm gonna romance Morigan but I don't want to use the Dark Ritual ending since it just feels cheap so I was not even going to talk to her so she never brings it up and doesnt leave my party, so how will that work in the Witch Hunt DLC? I tried googling for it, but I don't want to spoil what happens so I keep hitting a wall. "
Unfortunately, the conversation is forced, and if you don't take the deal, then she leaves. I know that if you try to import your dead Warden into Awakening, the ending will be retconned. I don't know how that affects DLC, though. You could always let Alistair kill the Archdemon. "
Goddammit! She's my healer. Bah... DAMN YOU BIOWARE! 

And Alister will be king so I can't let him die. No... this is my burden, my glory! It shall be no one else! If it means that I have to wrench out my heart and cast out Morigan, then my pain will not last long as I shall be dead anyways.
#9 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Enigma777: If there was a proper order to do the quests the game would be linear and not give you the choice on what order to do things in.   As far as I know there is no order that creates holes in the story so it's a matter of who you want first and what you want to do first.  There is a certain progression of challenge but this is meaningless if you are building your party effectively.

I personally go do the magic tower as early as possible because of the stat gains and a useable mage.  Wynne (spec wise) is the least flawed character in the game in terms of her pre spent stat points, spell selections, and subclass... well least flawed aside from the protagonist if you know what you're doing.
#10 Posted by RedRoach (1191 posts) -
@Enigma777: I can't remember where, but i read that the dark ritual is the cannon ending. It makes sense if you ask me, just by the existence of awakening. I don't think they would have made it if the cannon ending was you dying. the whole part of making a new warden was just shoved in so that people who did sacrifice themselves could still play it. Everything about the expansion pack was made with your character living in mind. 

but in the end i don't think you can play witch hunt if you die, I've played it and the whole thing is centred around your history with her. without spoiling it i can say that witch hunt was intended for the people who both romanced her and did the dark ritual. 
#11 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

The game scales depending upon your level so there isn't a set order though doing the mage's tower first for the bonus stats is nice, you get Wynne and it makes Redcliffe easier in some ways.  And Ozammar tends to be difficult if you go there right away.  But there is no right way.

#12 Posted by SpaceGandhi (71 posts) -

I would recommend you do the Mage Tower first. This is because you acquire Wynne during this quest who is the game's designated Healer. Unless you're playing a mage yourself, it is nice to get a healer as soon as possible.

#13 Posted by the_gallo (141 posts) -

I'd say start with the elves, then the mages. 

#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Well, I finally finished my second playthrough (96% completion - 75 hours) and I must say, the Ultimate Sacrifice ending was much, much more satisfying than the Dark Ritual one!  

However now I face a new problem. I've still got Awakening to play, so I'm tying between importing my current save file (and thus retconing my ending) or starting with a new Warden. Now I would normally start with a new character, but I heard when you import your save, you get all your gold back and I have over 500 gold! I worked real hard for it and it's so tempting...

#15 Posted by QueenNadine (28 posts) -
@Jason_Bourne said:

"@Enigma777: I can't remember where, but i read that the dark ritual is the cannon ending. It makes sense if you ask me, just by the existence of awakening. I don't think they would have made it if the cannon ending was you dying. the whole part of making a new warden was just shoved in so that people who did sacrifice themselves could still play it. Everything about the expansion pack was made with your character living in mind.  but in the end i don't think you can play witch hunt if you die, I've played it and the whole thing is centred around your history with her. without spoiling it i can say that witch hunt was intended for the people who both romanced her and did the dark ritual.  "

Or for those who just felt like

…    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.