Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

"Serious choices" (Spoilers)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

Yeah, Dave wasn't kidding when he was talking about this.

I just finished the game again, and...well, lets think about what I did.

Goddamn, this game is brutal at times, but that's why I adore it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with decisions that just made you think "Oh Shit" ?
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By sixghost

LOL, that's pretty fucked up. It's too bad that it's so easy to play the middle ground and keep everybody happy. I think it would have been awesome if there were something like 12ish possible party members, and everyone at camp reacted much more strongly to your actions, and the gift system was removed, so it would be impossible to keep everyone at the end of the game, and your party at the end of the game would be more of a reflection of how you played the game, instead of just gaming the system with gifts to keep the people that you know you need since there are only 2 possible mages/rogues.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

Dude, spoilers tags. They're not hard to add.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @nanikore said:
    " Dude, spoilers tags. They're not hard to add. "
    The title of the thread has the word Spoiler in it buddy.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB
    @nanikore: Thread title says spoliers right in it. I was afraid of the same thing, before I finished the game, so I avoided threads with spoiler in the title.

I ended up being a moderator and keeping everyone happy. Everyone in my party was maxed out on the slider before the end of the game.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nanikore
    @Fallen189: @AndrewB: Oh, whoops. Silly me for not noticing that!
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Cerza

My first play through went something like that. It really frustrated me, because I thought I was making the right decisions, but in the end only ended up pissing everyone off. I also wish there were more characters to recruit and I really wish there was another healer you could recruit, because if you aren't playing a mage and miss Wynne then you are screwed.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fallen189

This was planning on being my "Beat the High Dragon" run too. Goddamn sploicers.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MikeFightNight

I found it hard to do bad things in this game as opposed to a game like Fallout 3.   I think it's because I don't care about any of the characters in Fallout 3 where as in DAO they do a very good job of making you feel invested in each of your party members.  

With this said, the first time through my main party consisted of Alistair, Morrigan and Leliana. I didn't even realize that Wynn could be part of your party because the decisions I made to take out all abominations in the Circle of Magi seemed so organic.   So when she turned I thought I was the one doing the right thing.   However this choice coupled with the dumb idea of letting that Mage go in Redcliff castle to appease Morrigan, led me to the savage choice of having to kill Arl's son in order to restore order to the castle.   Now that was a hard scene to watch.   This also made Alistair lose a lot of trust in me. I also made the choice to get with Morrigan but when it came to her wanting me to have sex with her to make a demon spawn I had to tell her to get the fuck out.   I mean come on, the whole idea just seemed creepy as hell to me.   I also let Alistair kill Loghain which was very satisfying, the dude deserved it.   In the end I sacrificed myself for the greater good.   The ride was amazing while it lasted, an amazing RPG indeed.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Gabriel
    @MikeFightNight said:
    "

I found it hard to do bad things in this game as opposed to a game like Fallout 3.   I think it's because I don't care about any of the characters in Fallout 3 where as in DAO they do a very good job of making you feel invested in each of your party members.  

"
    Ah too bad Loghain was my favorite character, exact opposite of Allister who sometimes is a Whiny Bitch
    Matte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Matte

The consequences in this game are it's charm!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

As apposed to everyone here I think that every ending in this game is just plain bad. Fuck who leaves and who stays and   consequences blah blah blah blah blah. Every ending was handled badly and that's my opinion on it. Bioware has demonstrated once more then they know how to make great games but always seems to manage to completely lose their collective thoughts when it comes to the ending/s. As soon as I found out how the Arch Demon needs to be killed I knew exactly where this will go and no matter how you choose you are just doing exactly what the developers intended this game to end. Then it only got better, read worse.  

And I thought to myself, "why am I pissed?"  SO I thought that maybe this just a crappy ending so I went and checked the other ones and I was pleased to see they all sucked too. At least I didn't fuck the game so hard that my ending sucked too.  

Thank you Bioware for making sure I'll never replay this game ever again and good luck with the DLC, especially with my ending.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By MildMolasses

This game further exemplifies my problem with the way game designers handle moral choice. There is absolutely zero reason to take the "bad" choices in the game. It always affects the party members negatively, and as happened to the OP, they will just leave if you don't do things a certain way. Clearly the devs want you to play good because to do otherwise only closes doors to you, without opening up any new ones. And the same thing happens  right at the start of Fallout 3: if you destroy megaton, then bad shit happens to you and quests disappear. 

I'm not going to pretend that I have a great design philosophy in mind that can fix these problems, but at a basic level, I think that there should at least be some reason or benefit to pursue the bad path. Fable II did a much better job, I think, because while some doors definitly closed for you as a bad character, there were few things you couldn't do unless you were bad.  

Would it be so hard for Bioware to include characters that were worth having that would only join you if were bad, or a certain character wasn't in your party?
    BackwardsHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By BackwardsHero
    @MildMolasses:  yeah that would have been good i guess, but the charm of dragon age is that the characters are realistic in the sense that they are not completely evil or good wither. moriggan will try to coerce you to do some pretty fucked up things at times, but then will also tell you to do good things to sometimes. the same goes for sten .  

mild spoilers

on the other hand Allistor who is mostly good, will out right leave if you don't kill Loghain (who as already surrendered). Its all about the unique point of views each of the characters share.
    Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Turtlefuzz

I really enjoyed Dragon Age, really great choices that can knock you on your ass, even when you carefully consider all the options. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.