So whats the call on Darkspawn Chronicles? yay or nay?

#1 Posted by Ashen (125 posts) -

I'm interested in playing more DA, but I don't think this would be too appealing to me. I didn't really use the army tactics during the campaign, and my general impression of this dlc is that it may rely more on that than the actual party member system. I'm I mistaken? and even if it does use the army tactics, is it done in a compelling and cool way?

#2 Posted by Rapture (265 posts) -

more of a meh

#3 Posted by Yummylee (20626 posts) -

Will download it in a few hours. I'm expecting it be leaning more towards the ''nay'' side, but screw it, I've paid for every other piece of DA-DLC thus far...might as well continue this pricey stream.

#4 Edited by Jeust (10343 posts) -

From what i heard it is the standard dlc fare, with a large campaign, rough on the edges, with some decisions of the main game - prior to the events on the dlc - not carrying over. 

#5 Posted by Yummylee (20626 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" From what i heard it is the standard dlc fare, with a large campaign, rough on the edges, with some decisions of the main game - prior to the events on the dlc - not carrying over.  "
Sucks that you can't even import one of your player characters to be shown dieing during the joining. =/
#6 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3961 posts) -

For $5, I think it's too short. Dammit. I was hoping this was a full-blown retelling from the start of DA:O
except you played as a Dark Spawn villain.  This is just a shitty way to get people to buy the DLC to
maintain their S-rank.  I might have to stop caring about S-ranks now...

#7 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

This is a big meh for me. Like above poster I hoped for a re-telling of the Dragon Age story, but in the end it was more of a "What if I turned on DA, go to the final battle and then go to the other room." The enemies are SHIT, no AI whatsoever. Your player character is also CRAP, just a standard warrior. The characters you recruit are MEH, getting the Ogre is fun for 10 seconds. I was done within an hour for petes sake! ( 5 bucks for an hour would be acceptable for any game, EXCEPT a Bioware RPG)

If you're gonna make it a retelling of the final battle as the bad guy, at least let me fight as the ARCH DEMON vs My Super-Duper-Overpowered Elf Mage. Isn't that the entire point of a villain DLC? Letting you play the total bad-ass VS the character that you spent all this time building up?

#8 Edited by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor:  Why would you expect an entirely new dragon age length narrative for $5? I think you may have been expecting more than is possible ot deliver in a $5 DLC package. Also they never said it was going to be what you described, why would it be? 

@gosukiller: The entire premise of the DLC was that your character died during the joining. So you're scenario is kind of impossible.

I say yay. It was a lot of fun to play as the Darkspawn and some of the achievements were legitimately challenging. For $5 I'd say it was a worthwhile experience. 

I don't know where the angle of length = good came from. Yeah it was short, but it was more fun than I've had with some full priced games.

To answer the OP's question, there are no army tactics at all in this DLC. You just aim at nearby Darkspawn and use a recruit ability your Hurlock has to make them join your party. It's very much more focused on the combat than an sort of story (as the darkspawn aren't a talkative bunch) but you don't need to worry about using army tactics at all. There are a few areas where it calls for clever uses of a specific darkspawns abilities (such as using a Shrieks stealth to sneak around and take out a Ballista crew) but that's about it in terms of tactics.
#9 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@mazik765 said:

" @Lind_L_Taylor:  Why would you expect an entirely new dragon age length narrative for $5? I think you may have been expecting more than is possible ot deliver in a $5 DLC package. Also they never said it was going to be what you described, why would it be? 

@gosukiller: The entire premise of the DLC was that your character died during the joining. So you're scenario is kind of impossible. I say yay. It was a lot of fun to play as the Darkspawn and some of the achievements were legitimately challenging. For $5 I'd say it was a worthwhile experience.   I don't know where the angle of length = good came from. Yeah it was short, but it was more fun than I've had with some full priced games.  To answer the OP's question, there are no army tactics at all in this DLC. You just aim at nearby Darkspawn and use a recruit ability your Hurlock has to make them join your party. It's very much more focused on the combat than an sort of story (as the darkspawn aren't a talkative bunch) but you don't need to worry about using army tactics at all. There are a few areas where it calls for clever uses of a specific darkspawns abilities (such as using a Shrieks stealth to sneak around and take out a Ballista crew) but that's about it in terms of tactics. "

I know what the premise was, I'm just saying I didn't like it. A good counter argument would be that your main character lacks a real personality, like the secondary characters, to really use him as an enemy. 

But that wouldn't apply here, since there was 0 voicework for ANY of the battles against Sten, Morrigan, Alister, Leliana etc. Why bother putting them in if you're not gonna REALLY use them? I guess making cutscenes with proper voice acting is too costly for a 5$ dlc.
#10 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3961 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor:  Why would you expect an entirely new dragon age length narrative for $5? I think you may have been expecting more than is possible ot deliver in a $5 DLC package. Also they never said it was going to be what you described, why would it be? 

I was hoping for another $40 extravaganza spectacular.
#11 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Pass on it. They took an interesting idea and  threw together a dollar bin expansion.

#12 Posted by YahwehTzVaoth (9 posts) -

The one thing I'll say about it is that I messed around with it for about an hour and discovered that one of the quests appears to be broken.  (This is not a spoiler, unless you thought the Darkspawn was going to be a good guy.)  Early on there is a quest where you are tasked to slaughter ten innocent people.  These appear to mostly be random pop-ins.   Unfortunately, if you kill all of the named enemies in the zone, they stop popping in and you cannot finish the quest.  I suppose you can always restart the zone.   

Which is to say you can restart the zone, I am going to keep playing minus the Deathblow ability.

That bug is pretty lame, but the concept of the mini-campaign seems interesting enough.  The Ogre is fun to control.

#13 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (661 posts) -

Like Yaweh, I really liked the concept that this was kind of a mini-campaign to explore a "What If" kinda scenario. 

Personally, I had no quibbles with the price. It's about an hour's worth of entertainment (longer for me, since I fiddled around in the various zones a bunch) but you wind up with a sweet sword for both DA:O AND Awakening, which was a nice touch. 

Agreed, it would've been nice to play as the Archdemon for a bit, but I was still pretty happy controlling the Troll and the Shriek. 

Either way - no regrets for me. I hope they put out more of these mini spinoff kinda campaigns.

#14 Posted by MichelleEaley (52 posts) -

[This comment contains spoilers]  I would have liked more of a set-up.  Since one hasn't played as a Darkspawn before, how are you supposed to know what abilities are available.  By the time I got the hang of the abilities and that killing members of your party is a good thing, the game was over.  I still don't know how you're supposed to build loyalty among your party--what does one give a Troll?  Also, building loyalty while you're fighting your way to the Arch Demon (one of the achievements is about loyalty).  One achievement is about recruiting all types of Darkspawn, but you don't know what types are available or how to tell them apart.

This DLC is for DO:A addicts.  If you haven't put in over 100 hours into this game, then pass on this DLC. 

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (13927 posts) -

I really liked it.    it was just kinda fun to rampage through the town and murder everything that moves.   And getting to  Decapitate Morrigan was hilarious enough on its own to warrant 5$ IMO.

#16 Posted by jangomack (28 posts) -
@Toeflower said:
" This DLC is for DO:A addicts.  If you haven't put in over 100 hours into this game, then pass on this DLC.  "
hehe .. I think I'd go along with that
 It's fun for the price .. but yeah, it's not like other DLCs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.