Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

The Dragon Age Diaries: Introduction & Day One

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Edited By Kazona

Introduction

I had intended to write my introductory yesterday, but I simply did not get around to it. So I'll write one now, and I will try to keep it relatively short.

The purpose of this little endeavor is to simply get my creativity flowing again. I used to spend a lot of time writing, but about ten years ago I stopped for reasons I don't need to mention here. But now I want to finally get back into it again. However, ten years of not putting a single word on paper has made me quite rusty, so to do something about that, I've decided to start of with something small. 

Which lead me to this idea. Basically this is a diary seen from the perspective of my character. I'm going to write about as many of the adventures in Dragon Age as possible, all from his perspective. My goal is to make this a weekly feature of sorts, but I'm not exactly sure how well that will pan out since I will be going to my girlfriend, in the states, for a month, in nine days. And since I will a) be spending the majority of that month with my gf and b) won't have access to a PC capable of running Dragon Age, I'm not sure yet how that is going to work out. But I'm sure I'll think of something.

Now, I would very much appreciate it if those of you who read this give me some constructive criticism. Keep in mind that English is not my first language, so anything that can help improve my spelling, grammar, and whatnot would be greatly appreciated.

Without further ado, her is day one of The Dragon Age Diares (I'm playing through as a huma noble) : 

Also...

WARNING: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS.

The Dragon Age Diaries: Day One

Today, my world got turned upside down in ways I never expected. I knew we were at   war, and I was well aware of the seriousness of the Blight. But no one, including me, saw this new threat from within. Were just ignorant, or did they play their cards so well that they had everyone fooled?

To think, that we had a meeting with those traitors yesterday. No one suspected a thing. Not my father, not me, and not even Duncan, the Grey Warden who had come to our home looking for recruits. You would think that if anyone could see through their charade, it would be one of the legendary Grey Wardens. Guess they aren’t as incredible as everyone made them out to be. I can’t say I’m surprised.

Before I went to bed last night everyone was still alive. I talked to each of them, even though I wasn’t particularly happy to talk to them all. Especially Ser Gilmore. What a blubbering idiot that is. I can’t believe the Grey Wardens considered him for recruitment.

There was this one girl, though, her name was Iona I believe. She was quite the sight to behold, even for an elf. Quite nimble, too, I have to say; more so than any human woman that I’ve spent the night with. I would have enjoyed getting to know her better.

Now, thanks to the treachery of Arl Howe, that will never happen. They were all butchered like cattle. We were completely taken by surprise, and we never stood a chance. But I guess that was the whole plan. After all, in a fair fight we would have stood victorious. And Howe knows that, so he chose the way of the coward instead. I can’t believe that everyone was so completely oblivious to his intentions, especially my mother. She was always the one to see through the lies when my father failed to do so. If it wasn’t for her keen eye, my father would never have kept his position as long as he did.

But the Arl’s lies were so well spun that both me and my mother ignored the bad feeling we were having. Something wasn’t right, and we both knew it. But neither one of us could put a finger on it. Perhaps my father’s unconditional faith in Arl Howe had blinded us as well this time.

But why did my mother stay with my father?   She should have come with us. She always loved that man too much for her own good. And he was always too trusting, too nice, and that got him killed. But damn him for taking my mother along with him, in his misguided view on the world. She died because of him.

At least my brother, Fergus, managed to escape the treachery of Arl Howe. But sadly his family did not. I may not have been too keen on his wife, but he loved her. And the news of what happened to her will devastate him. That is, if I ever manage to find him.

Right now, however, I have no choice but to stay with Duncan and the Grey Wardens. Joining their ranks isn’t exactly my first choice, but I believe it to be the best course of action right now. I wonder why Duncan was so secretive about this Joining ritual. I guess I will have to wait to find out. For now I will do as he says.

My priority, however, is Arl Howe. I will not let that man get away with his betrayal. He has taken everything from me. And he did not even have the balls to be there when he did. Instead he let his lackeys do the dirty work while he stayed out of harm’s way. But not long, Howe. You will not escape your faith; I will have my revenge.

For now I’d better get myself familiarized with this place. See how much I can find out about the upcoming battle they mentioned. But most of all I want to see what I can find out about the Grey Wardens, especially this Joining. I doubt anyone is going to tell me anything useful about that, however. But the more I can find out, the better.

Either way, I am on my own now, and I can trust no one but myself.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Kazona

Introduction

I had intended to write my introductory yesterday, but I simply did not get around to it. So I'll write one now, and I will try to keep it relatively short.

The purpose of this little endeavor is to simply get my creativity flowing again. I used to spend a lot of time writing, but about ten years ago I stopped for reasons I don't need to mention here. But now I want to finally get back into it again. However, ten years of not putting a single word on paper has made me quite rusty, so to do something about that, I've decided to start of with something small. 

Which lead me to this idea. Basically this is a diary seen from the perspective of my character. I'm going to write about as many of the adventures in Dragon Age as possible, all from his perspective. My goal is to make this a weekly feature of sorts, but I'm not exactly sure how well that will pan out since I will be going to my girlfriend, in the states, for a month, in nine days. And since I will a) be spending the majority of that month with my gf and b) won't have access to a PC capable of running Dragon Age, I'm not sure yet how that is going to work out. But I'm sure I'll think of something.

Now, I would very much appreciate it if those of you who read this give me some constructive criticism. Keep in mind that English is not my first language, so anything that can help improve my spelling, grammar, and whatnot would be greatly appreciated.

Without further ado, her is day one of The Dragon Age Diares (I'm playing through as a huma noble) : 

Also...

WARNING: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS.

The Dragon Age Diaries: Day One

Today, my world got turned upside down in ways I never expected. I knew we were at   war, and I was well aware of the seriousness of the Blight. But no one, including me, saw this new threat from within. Were just ignorant, or did they play their cards so well that they had everyone fooled?

To think, that we had a meeting with those traitors yesterday. No one suspected a thing. Not my father, not me, and not even Duncan, the Grey Warden who had come to our home looking for recruits. You would think that if anyone could see through their charade, it would be one of the legendary Grey Wardens. Guess they aren’t as incredible as everyone made them out to be. I can’t say I’m surprised.

Before I went to bed last night everyone was still alive. I talked to each of them, even though I wasn’t particularly happy to talk to them all. Especially Ser Gilmore. What a blubbering idiot that is. I can’t believe the Grey Wardens considered him for recruitment.

There was this one girl, though, her name was Iona I believe. She was quite the sight to behold, even for an elf. Quite nimble, too, I have to say; more so than any human woman that I’ve spent the night with. I would have enjoyed getting to know her better.

Now, thanks to the treachery of Arl Howe, that will never happen. They were all butchered like cattle. We were completely taken by surprise, and we never stood a chance. But I guess that was the whole plan. After all, in a fair fight we would have stood victorious. And Howe knows that, so he chose the way of the coward instead. I can’t believe that everyone was so completely oblivious to his intentions, especially my mother. She was always the one to see through the lies when my father failed to do so. If it wasn’t for her keen eye, my father would never have kept his position as long as he did.

But the Arl’s lies were so well spun that both me and my mother ignored the bad feeling we were having. Something wasn’t right, and we both knew it. But neither one of us could put a finger on it. Perhaps my father’s unconditional faith in Arl Howe had blinded us as well this time.

But why did my mother stay with my father?   She should have come with us. She always loved that man too much for her own good. And he was always too trusting, too nice, and that got him killed. But damn him for taking my mother along with him, in his misguided view on the world. She died because of him.

At least my brother, Fergus, managed to escape the treachery of Arl Howe. But sadly his family did not. I may not have been too keen on his wife, but he loved her. And the news of what happened to her will devastate him. That is, if I ever manage to find him.

Right now, however, I have no choice but to stay with Duncan and the Grey Wardens. Joining their ranks isn’t exactly my first choice, but I believe it to be the best course of action right now. I wonder why Duncan was so secretive about this Joining ritual. I guess I will have to wait to find out. For now I will do as he says.

My priority, however, is Arl Howe. I will not let that man get away with his betrayal. He has taken everything from me. And he did not even have the balls to be there when he did. Instead he let his lackeys do the dirty work while he stayed out of harm’s way. But not long, Howe. You will not escape your faith; I will have my revenge.

For now I’d better get myself familiarized with this place. See how much I can find out about the upcoming battle they mentioned. But most of all I want to see what I can find out about the Grey Wardens, especially this Joining. I doubt anyone is going to tell me anything useful about that, however. But the more I can find out, the better.

Either way, I am on my own now, and I can trust no one but myself.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dudacles

This blog is a cool idea, and I'd keep up with it, but I have yet to play Dragon Age: Origins, and don't want to be spoiled. So I'll refrain from reading all of this right now. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Alphawolfy

This is a cool idea; sometimes I think of doing something like this, but I never get around to doing it. Anyway, I'll probably be able to keep reading without spoiling anything for me, since I'm already more than halfway through the game, almost 45 hours in.
    Keep writing! :)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kazona
    @dudacles:  
    Just play fast enough to catch up :P 

@Alphawolfy:
    If you do ever get around to it, Dragon Age is definetely an ideal game to do it with. 

Venom09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Venom09

Great Idea!

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

good story youd never guess english was your second laungauge

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazona
    @Venom09: Thanks! 

@Time_Lord: Thanks for the compliment!
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I plan on reading through this and any future ones that you write as soon as I get and play DAO. It seems like a really great idea, though. Good luck!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.