Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

The Spiritual Succesor of Baldurs Gate 2

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bogitt

Mild spoiler 

So i Love me some Dragon Age, but isn't anyone else a little disappointed by the lack of Variety in the game compared to Baldurs gate?

Enemies; In BG you would be fighting beholders, vampires, fire giants, crazy teleporting cats with tentacles and all sorts of other strange beasties - in DA there just doesn't seem to be so much variety to it, your basically fighting the light/dark version of humanoids throughout the entire game.

Weapons; the loot in BG was insane, you could find a vorpal sword and all sorts of other legendary weapons (Crom Fraeyr rocked) - In DA i never really feel immensley pimped out, the only weapon that ever really stands out to me is the fallen star weapon you can forge plus most of the good stuff you have to save up your money to buy it, why not stick it in some crazy quest like BG used to do.

Magic; Alright myabe i can understand why they decided to scale back on the magic in this game (and yes magic is pretty damn powerful in this game). But if it was anything like BG you could throw crazy Tron style energy discs and you could summon Comets as well as mighty angels although I'm not sure the game could handle it. But come on, most of the spells in DA don't feel crazy enough for a level 20 character to be casting

well alright I'm done and maybe I'm just whining because i love me some cool loot - but let me know what your thoughts on this spiritual successor to BG are. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I think its funny that the vorpal sword from Alice in Wonderland is a legendary fantasy weapon now. 
    My party got caught at like every doorway in BG and some of the micromanaging was kind of a nightmare, especially since the caveman AI settings barely did what they said they would. I felt like I was babysitting autistic children, watching mages who are supposed to be using offensive magic walk up to a golem with their staff. DA is a lot better about a lot of that shit because they stole their AI management from the much more nuance and evolved FF12 gambit system. I was also kinda bummed that DA didn't have a Wild Mage equivalent cus that class was pretty great.

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bogitt

Hah yeah i guess the Vorpal Sword was a bad example but i just loved that whole Githyanki side stuff if you got it, that made it pretty damn cool for me. The AI was pretty damn bad, you had to be on the pause button pretty much constantly but hey it is a pretty old game now - oh but the wild mage did rock pretty hard

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sexy_nipples

ya BG2 was way harder. Dragon Age is like a cakewalk compared to BG2. I fucking love BG2 so much.  

Like mages would wreck shit on you in BG2. That is the main thing I noticed about Dragon Age. Even on nightmare, mages barely put any debuffs or anything.  

You got to understand that sadly nowadays, people want more accessible and easier RPGs. Like every since WRPGs went consoles, they went downhill. It isn't consoles fault, it is the devs.  

I mean look at Fallout 3. That game is a piece of shit compared to Fallout 1 and 2. Will there ever be any WRPGs that can rival Planescape Torment? Fallout 1/2? BG2? 

IGN: "Mass Effect 2"   *Facepalm* 

Anyways, loot is another problem for me in Dragon Age. They need more loot and they need less generic loot. And less THE ULTIMATE ITEM loot. I hate that. Each item should have pros and cons and not a best item, you have to choose the items that fit your playstyle more. There are just items  in Dragon Age that dominate others. Lifegiver? Andruil's Blessing? And what annoys me is that I feel like I'm cheating when I realize that so much of the top equipment I get through DLC. Warden's Commander Armor was awesome as hell. Blood Dragon Armor was strong too. 

I also wish they fleshed out specializations more. Like more abilities for specializations and more exclusive items for each specialization.  

I still love the game. We need more games like Dragon Age this gen. My favorite WRPG this gen, ahead of The Witcher, Risen and ME1.  

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I have to admit, the loot was...just a little underwhelming. Didn't like that it the majority of it was scripted either =/. With so much replay value the game has, and a key point of how many times some people play through it, varying loot per playthrough would of been appreciated.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Semition

Dragon Age is definitely lower on the epic-scale. I kind of like it that way. Though it did bum me out to know exactly where the best loot is. Now every time I play, I'm just tempted to get Spellward, Key to the City, Knight Commander's Set and some Dweomer runes to get spell immunity and burn through the game.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sexy_nipples
    @Semition said:
    " Dragon Age is definitely lower on the epic-scale. I kind of like it that way. Though it did bum me out to know exactly where the best loot is. Now every time I play, I'm just tempted to get Spellward, Key to the City, Knight Commander's Set and some Dweomer runes to get spell immunity and burn through the game. "  
     Same thing happened to me. That was all I did my next game. Just didn't buy anything and saved up. It gets annoying. Like they needed a lot more loot. Like a lot more, and they should have it randomized for where you pick it up 
    Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vermy81

Actually I think it's pretty consistent with Baldur's Gate 1.   Actually I think it's nearly point for point spot on with BG1 down to having some really shitty zones that are just  flat out boring places for you to kill some extra monsters.  

Baldur's Gate 2's amount of content is kind of historically special.  It's also a game where six  people are strong enough to literally kill an army (see the camp in between Saradush and the monastary in TOB)   Dragon Age really isn't on that kind of scale...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Kazona

There is only one thing I miss in DA, and that's the ability to queue up attacks. I prefer to micro-manage my party, but in such a way that I can think a couple of moves ahead. Unfortunately because you can't queue up your magic or attacks, this isn't possible.

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bogitt
    @Vermy81: So the DA creators decided to base there game on the less popular BG1 when there is a lot more love for BG2? Thats kind of weird - unless of course I'm wrong and BG1 is actually far more popular then BG2 then i guess it makes sense.

Hell why didn't they make it to that kind of scale? Given the choice of ripping through an entire enemy army before travelling to my own pocket dimension to plan out becoming a God and buggering about on a smaller scale is madness, i know which one I'd choose. Although saying that I am doing the storyline for DA a disservice as it is pretty damn cool
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Captain_Insano

I actually preferred BG1...

but that is mainly because I thought the start of that game was fkn mad. BG2 seemed a bit forced somehow. Still a great game though

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Vermy81
    @Bogitt said:

" @Vermy81: So the DA creators decided to base there game on the less popular BG1 when there is a lot more love for BG2? Thats kind of weird - unless of course I'm wrong and BG1 is actually far more popular then BG2 then i guess it makes sense.  Hell why didn't they make it to that kind of scale? Given the choice of ripping through an entire enemy army before travelling to my own pocket dimension to plan out becoming a God and buggering about on a smaller scale is madness, i know which one I'd choose. Although saying that I am doing the storyline for DA a disservice as it is pretty damn cool "

They tend to  do the good game on the first iteration of the technology and the great game on the second iteration.  BG2 was their second game on the Infinity Engine,  KOTOR was working on an engine that was based on the NWN aurora Engine,  ME2 was the second game on the Unreal Engine
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Abyssfull said:

" I have to admit, the loot was...just a little underwhelming. Didn't like that it the majority of it was scripted either =/. With so much replay value the game has, and a key point of how many times some people play through it, varying loot per playthrough would of been appreciated. "

Pocket-picking is especially bad. Since I already did everything else there is to do, I maxed out the skill and picked every single pocket in this game (I guess 150 or so) and I found nothing unique or otherwise interesting. It was a complete waste of time. There was this one small statue of bad luck, which I quickly sold.

And I agree, BG2 was a lot crazier than DA:O. I always liked the quests in the huge sphere and the theater, that stuff was out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.