This game is crazy hard...

#1 Edited by Jack_Daniels (1412 posts) -

Am I doing something wrong because to beat the bad guys I have to resort to some really shady tactics. Like shooting through walls, drawing off one guy at a time to kill, or shoot, run, shoot, run.

Is this how its supposed to be played? Diablo 2 I just hacked and slashed everything in sight!

And I am on Normal!

#2 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
@Jack_Daniels said:
" Am I doing something wrong because to beat the bad guys I have to resort to some really shady tactics. Like shooting through walls, drawing off one guy at a time to kill, or shoot, run, shoot, run.  Is this how its supposed to be played? Diablo 2 I just hacked and slashed everything in sight!  And I am on Normal! "
diablo 2 is a very different game .....
#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I coped out and went to casual about half way through the game on my first play through. Still a great game no matter what difficulty it is on.

#4 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

It's piss-easy if you play as a mage and take nothing but damage spells. Team up with Morrigan and Wynne and blast everything to hell in 10 seconds or less.

I found it a LOT harder as a warrior. Granted, warrior was my first playthrough  and I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

#5 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Dude, i feel you. It gets easier after multiple playthroughs. I was having a hard time my first playthrough.

#6 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

I had to actually drop down to easy for a while because you have to do a lot of controlling all characters.  While you are setting 1 character's moves and you are paused think out your strategy.   That is what I did anyways.

#7 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

play easy problem solved

#8 Posted by micro5797 (33 posts) -
@Jack_Daniels said:

" Am I doing something wrong because to beat the bad guys I have to resort to some really shady tactics. Like shooting through walls, drawing off one guy at a time to kill, or shoot, run, shoot, run.  Is this how its supposed to be played? Diablo 2 I just hacked and slashed everything in sight!  And I am on Normal! "

I started in normal mode as a rogue with a bow and was finding it pretty  difficult  as well. 
The more you learn the game and about the game, the easier it becomes.
Here are a few tips that i hope can help. These tips are for non mage primaries.
1. Set up your tactics menu.(search youtube)
2. Mage animate dead and or a secondary ranger with a pet. (youtube)
3.learn about sustained spells and that you only click them once to active and they stay activated.
4.Bard secondary can regen stamina/mana
5. set mage to heal with some attacks thrown in. (one of the biggest helps as mentioned above)
6. Boss battle tips (youtube)
7. what is the  differences  between the damage types and what to use vs what enemy? (youtube)

My youtube site covers some of these.I am no expert and there are a lot of people who are a lot better, but these things made the game a lot easier for me. Look for microware1
#9 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -

I've been playing on normal with a warrior. I use 2 warriors and 2 ranged.  

I havn't had a difficult time at all. I think I had my whole party died 2 times. But those were just unlucky situations for me. I've mostly been playing my main character as a tank. I have my other's set up so well that the only time I ever have to switch to them is if I need to heal them quickly.
#10 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Yeah it is pretty hard. I was doing fine on normal for a while, but I eventually said screw it, after being killed 5 times in a row, and set it casual.   

Still playing through it now and still loving it.

#11 Posted by GamingReligion (77 posts) -

Had to play on casual, like many others it seems. Stupid 2h warrior couldn't stand up to anything even then.

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Welcome to 1998-era RPGs.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

It wasn't that hard i beat it on normal first time through than played it through the second time through on hard it was fun.

#14 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1412 posts) -
@micro5797 said:
" @Jack_Daniels said:

I started in normal mode as a rogue with a bow and was finding it pretty  difficult  as well.  The more you learn the game and about the game, the easier it becomes. Here are a few tips that i hope can help. These tips are for non mage primaries.1. Set up your tactics menu.(search youtube) 2. Mage animate dead and or a secondary ranger with a pet. (youtube)3.learn about sustained spells and that you only click them once to active and they stay activated. 4.Bard secondary can regen stamina/mana 5. set mage to heal with some attacks thrown in. (one of the biggest helps as mentioned above) 6. Boss battle tips (youtube) 7. what is the  differences  between the damage types and what to use vs what enemy? (youtube) My youtube site covers some of these.I am no expert and there are a lot of people who are a lot better, but these things made the game a lot easier for me. Look for microware1 "
Thanks dude Ill try this. I got slaughtered like 8 times in a row on the battle I am in. My mage doesn't have a heal spell yet I am only six hours in.
#15 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -

Really? I'm playing normal on a console and bar the occasional fight it's piss easy.

#16 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1412 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" It's piss-easy if you play as a mage and take nothing but damage spells. Team up with Morrigan and Wynne and blast everything to hell in 10 seconds or less.  I found it a LOT harder as a warrior. Granted, warrior was my first playthrough  and I didn't know what the hell I was doing. "
Ha, no kidding. But when I played Oblivion I started out as a mage and it sucked. Then I tried warrior and it kicked ass. By the end of that game I was pretty much undefeatable by anything in the game. But thats kinda what made it so awesome. Although after beating every quest and sidequest on my first playthrough I never really wanted to go back even though it was such a good game.
#17 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -
@Skye said:
"Really? I'm playing normal on a console and bar the occasional fight it's piss easy. "

Same, though the console version was reportedly lessened with its difficulty. I know it was evident with friendly fire being taken off, might of been through other factors to. 
That Brood mother and the Archdemon boss battles were still mighty tough though.
#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

I thought it was going to be hard when I first started but it's actually piss easy on Normal mode. Apart from two or three fights it's quite a breeze if you do everything right. The first time I played I was Warrior which meant I was tough to kill, later on though I started to use my mages more. On my second playthrough I was a Mage myself. I found it to be a harder but not when you get to grips with not charging into battle and focus on spells, you're sorted for life. You're probably more used to the hack and slash RPGs then the 90's RPGs that placed emphasis on tactics.

#19 Posted by PenguinDust (12480 posts) -

It can be difficult and there've been several occasions where my party has been wiped out.  So far, I have dropped down to "Easy" once because I was too deep into the dungeon and was completely out of potions/health kits.  I had gotten close to winning the battle on normal but wasn't in the mood to trek all the way out for fresh supplies just to return and try it again.  Sometimes, I'm lazy that way and I love that DA:O gives me this option.  It didn't take much of the fun away from me though because if I had to do all the necessary work as well as try-and-try-again to complete the quest, I'd find it more frustrating than fun.  If I wanted that, I'd go play Demon's Souls.  This way, I still got to play through the battle and then proceed onward.  For the record, as soon as the battle was over, I clicked the difficulty back up a notch.

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7565 posts) -

It gets easier as you learn the combat system. Whereas I, too, felt like normal was insanely difficult on my first go-through, now I'm wondering if I should turn things up to hard or greater because every fight is a cakewalk. I think it helps that I'm playing a mage with a ridiculous pool of spellcasting mana/health (when I run low on mana, I switch to Blood Mage mode, and with 40+ willpower and 20+ constitution, that means I pretty much never run out). Hell, I think playing a mage just makes the game easier, in general. Area effect spells like fireball not only do direct damage and damage over time, but they knock the crowd back for a few key seconds to do what you have to.

#21 Posted by Brake (1094 posts) -

I only found the game to be hard in my first major dungeon, the Ruined Temple with all those damn Drakes (I was pretty low level) and at the end of the Orzammar quest. Other than that I didn't have too much trouble with the encounters. My character was a mage with mostly attack and sleep/horror tree spells, I also had another support character and two tanks in my party.

#22 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

I feel so much better after reading this thread. Thanks, guys. I'm dialing down my difficulty to casual now without shame!

#23 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

there was a certain point about lvl 11 or 12 where it got hard, perhaps a bit of balance problems, i was in the latter stages of redcliffe. but before that and after i found it just right, challenging and rewarding on normal.

#24 Posted by Horace (139 posts) -

I went through my first playthrough as a dual-wielding Warrior on normal and I didn't find anything all that hard, every battle just seemed to be challenging enough but not really hard.  I usually just rolled with me, Morrigan, Wynne and either Shale or Alistair.

#25 Posted by freeground (83 posts) -

As a dagger/dagger rogue I found it not that hard provided you have Wynne in you're party and you make liberal use of the pause button. I played it like a turn based game in the way that I'd tell them what to do and after they have done it I tell them to do something else.
#26 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

It can be hard, especially on the PC.  If for example your mage draws aggro from an opposing mage and gets hit with a stinging swarm spell, she's gone.  That can basically kill your chance in that battle.  people often tlak about difficulty jumps but I think the real thing is that battles can play out different ways and luck and certain bad moves can have a big influence.

#27 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1412 posts) -

I don't like how a character can die in less then five seconds from a range attack, from one guy. And money in this game is kinda ridiculous. I can't spend all my money, my characters arent leveled high enough.

#28 Posted by dyslekt (281 posts) -

when getting ass kicked, switch to casual. Thats what I did after dying to over and over. And pause like  a motherf$%ker. 

#29 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

I played it on normal the entire game but had to put it on casual for the last boss. He was just too damn hard.

#30 Edited by Maclintok (177 posts) -

There are no Achievements or special rewards tied to finishing the game on Hard or Insane so just dial down that difficulty when you need to. Ego may take a bruising but it'll heal.  It's a long enough game as it is, no point making yourself go nuts.  If I didn't turn down the difficulty to Normal in Orzzamar or the final boss, I'm not even sure I'd be finished yet.

#31 Posted by lhaymehr (203 posts) -

I replayed the game 3 times, playing 4th. Thinking of going on Hard now. It takes some time to master and it's satisfying when you do master it. You can't play this game just by attacking head on. The difference in damage you can deal by using some tactical analysis is huge.

#32 Posted by Paradigm13 (6 posts) -

It's a tough game, no doubt about it.  I think it's especially hard because it has been so long since a game of this type has come out.  I just finished it last night on Normal, on the PC.  What I did to break up the monotony when I got stuck was play Torchlight.  That's your hack and slash your way through it-type game for the modern era.

I agree with what everyone is saying about offensive mages, only because I only turned Morrigan totally offensive in the later stages of the game and TORE it up with her.  I'll probably play through again as a human mage just to experience that kind of power without being forced to have that ... fun lady ... in my party at all times.

Anyways, finished this game two days ahead of deadline.  (Deadline = Mass Effect 2 release)

#33 Posted by Paradigm13 (6 posts) -

Oh, one more tip if you're playing the PC and you don't think of it as cheap:  Go get and use the respec mod.  Early on in the game, before you have your whole party, you'll acquire certain skills just to stay alive.  Later on, when you have a whole party, they can be specialized however you see fit.  Respecing makes your characters, who were good at what they do, great at what they do.

#34 Posted by gewfienewfie (79 posts) -

Having finished the game on Nightmare, i can safely say that the two things that made the combat doable are crowd control and focusing your parties attacks with that of the main tank. 

Set your tactics to attack target of your tank and have your tank go after the tougher targets (i.e mages, elite units and what have you.) As for the lesser dudes, crowd control is key so your tank doesn't get nuked with flank damage, so a little strategically placed cone of cold or paralysis of some sort (i.e glyphs, pinning shot, sleep) will go a long way. 

Also, when you get a chance to visit the forest with the dalish elves (the name escapes me atm), stock up on elfroot and make a TON of potions. Never hurts to potion-pop when your heal spell is on cooldown.

#35 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

I've found the game super easy on normal. I'm playing as a tank so I guess that's why. Once you've maxed out the champion skills just taunt and war cry. Really doesn't matter who else in your party.

#36 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1412 posts) -
@lhaymehr said:

" I replayed the game 3 times, playing 4th. Thinking of going on Hard now. It takes some time to master and it's satisfying when you do master it. You can't play this game just by attacking head on. The difference in damage you can deal by using some tactical analysis is huge. "

@Hunkulese said:

" I've found the game super easy on normal. I'm playing as a tank so I guess that's why. Once you've maxed out the champion skills just taunt and war cry. Really doesn't matter who else in your party. "

@gewfienewfie said:

" Having finished the game on Nightmare, i can safely say that the two things that made the combat doable are crowd control and focusing your parties attacks with that of the main tank.   Set your tactics to attack target of your tank and have your tank go after the tougher targets (i.e mages, elite units and what have you.) As for the lesser dudes, crowd control is key so your tank doesn't get nuked with flank damage, so a little strategically placed cone of cold or paralysis of some sort (i.e glyphs, pinning shot, sleep) will go a long way.   Also, when you get a chance to visit the forest with the dalish elves (the name escapes me atm), stock up on elfroot and make a TON of potions. Never hurts to potion-pop when your heal spell is on cooldown. "

Damnit I guess I gotta get back to it. I haven't played in weeks after I hit this crazy frustrating battle. It's so hard, and one guy can basically kill my entire party.
#37 Posted by clush (413 posts) -

Think everyone here complaining about difficulty could really benefit from just sitting back and thinking about tactics for 20 minutes or so. Go through your party's abilities and think about what they actually do and what impact that has on a given battle. I, for one, love it when a plan comes together, and there's not much like the satisfaction tackling an otherwise impossible battle with some fresh tactics.

There's so many options and so many ways to field a decent party. Just take a moment to actually come up with an idea of some sorts.

What I'm doing with my current party is this: Alistair sustains threaten (and shield wall) and taunts when entering battle. With all melee enemies on him, it's easy for my rogue to run around behind them backstabbing like crazy. Meanwhile, my dog overwhelms enemy mages to take them out of the equation. Morrigan heals Alistair when needed, casts heroic offense on my rogue and dog, defense on alistair, and hexes on particular powerful enemies (with misdirection and paralyze you can pretty much shut down any powerful enemy without it ever landing a hit... revenants now fear me instead of the other way around). Only very rarely do I need to resort to chucking health poultices.

There's of course a bunch of other things I might need to do as a battle progresses (like vulnerability + life drain when morrigan gets attacked) but these are easily found out while actually playing and re-evaluating after some battle went fubar.

I felt cheap for using forcefield and the elemental AoE spells on my first playthrough, so thought up something else. I'm pretty sure I can come up with about a dozen more general ideas as far as party setup is concerned. It's having an idea in the first place and tweaking it as you go along that's important. Just take a moment or 2 to think... it's worth it.

One last thing: I don't use the tactics slots at all, I just pause a LOT (though not so much on this playthrough, because I only have one mage there's not too much micromanaging to do). I suppose playing like this makes the game a bit easier as quite literally every second you're making tactical decisions and are ordering your party... this means no surprises, and when things do go bad it's easy to pinpoint what went wrong when and why.

#38 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I was just about to make a thread about the same exact topic. lol. weird
#39 Edited by SonicBoyster (348 posts) -

It has a lot to do with your party build.  If you're running around as a two handed warrior with Sten, Ohgren, and Leliana, you're going to get absolutely massacred by every serious battle you get into because your defense isn't high enough and two handed weapon combat is laughably terrible.  If you diversify yourself up and take a tank, mage, rogue, and a somebody else who supports your cast, you're going to perform much better in combat.   The problem with that is, of course, you might not want to deal with either of the rogues (in 3 playthroughs I've only taken a rogue with me once for about 10 hours of gameplay time and then swapped him out), or you might hate Morrigan and lose Wynne, or just want to roll with some very specific characters because you want to raise your approval with them, or maybe you like them.  The game isn't really concerned about your personal preferences in friends, though, and it wont scale with you, so if you're trying to do something stupid like me (Trying to make a party of 3 2-h warriors and one 1-h warrior) you're going to suffer for it.

#40 Posted by Maclintok (177 posts) -

Set up tactics for everyone & routine update their commands when they unlock new tactics slots. 

Also, your team will routinely forget who they were targeting (warriors are especially guilty) so you need to keep an eye on everyone to make sure they are not standing around dumbly or pathfinding around useless crap.

#41 Posted by FrequentBeast (51 posts) -

I'm on my first playthrough, died a bunch of times and gave up. I go back and fort between casual and normal depending.. but I just found it too easy to die in the blink of an eye. So I gave up and went back to fallout3 :O

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.