Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

This is truly STILL the age of dragons... truly

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman
    Note: If a game released in twenty-aught-nine can still be spoiled, then consider this a spoiler warning. 

All of the goods in a single box 
    I'm glad to be finally experiencing a game that I should have experienced day one. That game being Dragon Age: Origins. I recently bought the Ultimate Edition(!) that comes with a full second disc of DLC to pre-install. There's quite a bit of content there. I've been slowly working my way through the three traditional DLC packs and a bit of the regular story stuff. This has already been one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a very long while, so I thought I'd roleplay a bard and ramble to the masses regarding my wheelings and dealings.

I'd already played a bit of this game before, so I wasn't completely cold going in. I'd already experienced the mage origin story, so I went for the human noble this time around. I wanted to be a heavy-armor-wearing, damage-dealing warrior, so that seemed like my best bet. Named my character "LaJustin". That's kind of an inside joke type deal, which I still find amusing. But anyways, I found the noble's story to be alright. I have only one other to compare to, but this one had some good moments for sure. I can't be 100% sure here, but I think that guy that you meet next to your mother is a romance option. I was going through his dialog tree and I started getting options that seemed like they could lead to intimate relations. I was like: "Whoa, hold on there buddy! I thought we were just friends!". Not that there's anything wrong with a male character romancing another male, I just didn't expect to even have that option. I definitely can appreciate the freedom with things like that. I decided to court the nice lady elf though. That scene where the guards bust in totally caught me off guard. Did they have to kill such a nice lady-friend? Moving along. Pretty fun origin story is the point. 

Next was the obligatory trip to Ostagar. I have to say, for a required opening section, this is actually not a bad one. I think that it's a combination of the well-designed scenery, the plot points that are being laid out at this time, and all of the interaction with various people in camp that makes Ostagar interesting. There's the prisoner that hasn't been fed. There's that whole restricted mage gathering (so mysterious!). Also the dog trainer guy that gives you the quest to help the dogs. There's just a bunch to see and do for such an enclosed area. There's not a whole lot to say beyond that though. Starting that signal fire after the fighting starts is the game's first big battle scenario and it's fun. The beginning especially, where you are running across that long bridge as the battle rages around you, is great. The last time I played the game, I had seen Duncan and the king die in battle, so I wasn't shocked or anything this time around. That's a rough moment though. I felt so helpless watching them get crushed. (It's a good thing the Ultimate Box includes the "Return to Ostagar" DLC so that I could eventually come back and take some revenge, which I did.)

Hello, miss lady! 
    Hello, miss lady! 
    Then I was at the point where I gain Morrigan as a party member. I should state right now that I absolutely love nearly every character in this game. They are all either unique, funny, interesting, useful, or most commonly a combination of those things. Even if they're dicks at times, I always love them for it. Morrigan is no exception, and she's probably my favorite character in my party thus far. First and foremost, she's a pretty lady, I'm not gonna lie. I immediately dumped a bunch of gifts on her in hopes that she'd "warm up to me". She started out so rude towards me, but has since warmed up quite a bit. The dialog trees with her are made really fun and interesting when you have to always be conscious of her no-nonsense personality. When you start to decipher her personality a bit, you realize exactly how you have to act around her and how she'll probably react to certain situations. This is true enough of any of the characters in the game thus far, and I find that to be extremely rewarding. Really. I'd even venture to say that the character personalities and potential interactions are better than in Mass Effect 2, and those I thought were phenomenal. I find it extremely hard to leave Alistair or Morrigan out of my party because I then wouldn't be able to hear them go at each other with often vicious insults during a casual trek across town.

The next step of my journey brought me to the town just North of Ostagar. I think this is probably where most people end up after leaving with Morrigan. I took care of some random business there. I also picked up Sten by freeing him from his cage. That Sten's a tough nut to crack. I'm still working on him. Maybe one day he'll pour his guts out to me. That conversation would be fairly humorous considering how other conversations with him have gone so far. It's like he's an undercover agent trying to keep his background on a need-to-know basis. I do appreciate the occasional stark contrast of his personality in comparison to all of the other loquacious fellows I've met in Ferelden. After picking him up, I headed strait to camp to meet my personal traveling Dwarf salesman and his hilarious son. I feel kind of bad calling him hilarious, but I never get tired of the excitement he exudes as I ask for his assistance with enchantment. "Enchantment? ... ENCHANTMENT!". Other camp activities that night included dirty deeds with Morrigan. Thank you gift pack DLC.  :P

I made the choice from there to take on one of the three quick-and-dirty mission DLC packs. First up was the "Warden's Keep" DLC just for the reason that it gives both nice equipment, and an infinite storage chest. I figured--knowing how I role in games like these--that the storage chest would be supremely useful. The mission itself was interesting, albeit rather short. I had expected that going in though. It was fun getting some history on earlier Grey Wardens and ultimately confronting the last of the survivors of their battle. Turns out he has been researching blood magic and torturing subjects in the process. I let him live, but I made it clear that he'll no longer use subjects in his tests. I have no idea how his research is coming along as I haven't been back to visit him in his lonely tower.

I haven't actually run into a dragon quite yet. Totally want to though.

Infinite chest in hand, I then decided to take my talents to South Beach. No wait, it was just a little village in order to rescue a deactivated pile of rubble. AKA: the "Stone Prisoner" DLC pack. I got a bit mixed up though and accidentally activated the "Return to Ostagar" DLC quest instead. I decided to roll with the punches and headed back out to the recently decimated Ostagar. It was probably a little soon to do this one since the DLC was seemingly meant to take place quite a while after the events of the initial Ostagar battle. There should be hordes of Dark Spawn there just following a battle like that, but as stated in game, the Dark Spawn are far less entrenched than suspected. This was a fun little romp back through the once-great, now-icy and barren Ostagar camp. Collecting the former king's armor pieces after killing each Dark Spawn general was extra satisfying. It all concluded with the resurrection of the Ogre that killed the King. I killed the shit outta that dude! If only Duncan had let me fight in the battle in the first place. I then wrapped up by giving the king's body a nice funeral. Morrigan--being the practical woman that she is--wasn't too happy about that, but I've had to piss her off a couple of times before that, so it was nothing new (Here's another gift, baby!). I stashed the king's armor in my infinite chest since I couldn't currently wear it, and headed to my initially intended destination. I was off to find the Stone Prisoner.

This is another one hour mini-adventure. It nets you a sweet golem ally though, so I figured that would be interesting. I had no idea. Shale's a flat out amazing character. I love him. Not only is he strong in combat, but his personality is top-notch. He insists on referring to my entire party as "It", even though he calls other select humans by their names. I'd love to see him set up an online dating profile:  

" It must be made of stone, like me. It mustn't be in connection with a control rod, or under anyone's control in any way. It must enjoy the death of any and all bird creatures. These are my conditions. "

OK, enough fanfic. This mission was worth the time. Fighting a demon that had possessed a kitty cat is probably the best reason to play through this (other than Shale). The sad part was my inability to stop demon kitty from turning into demon-kitty-girl, and then just strait-up demon. I felt genuinely bad after letting that guy down by not saving his daughter. I wonder if anything significant would have come of saving the girl. Something to check out next playthrough I suppose. It took me a while to figure it out, but I eventually discovered that swapping out crystals would change Shale's crystal color. I found that neat. I've been having issues finding legitimately good crystals so far though. They've all bee cracked or flawed thus far. I'm sure I'll come across better ones at some point. 

Despite all indications, I am indeed aware that attention spans on the internet are often limited. All I can say is that for this I apologize, because I aint done yet. 

At this point in my journey I decided that Alistair's plan to get Arl Eamon's help in Redcliffe was the proper course of action. It turns out that town went to shit recently. I quickly found myself in the thick of an undead invasion. As I was listening to people in town describe the attackers, I was just thinking: "Really Dragon Age? Zombies? Fuuuu!". It did turn out to basically be a zombie attack, but within the context of Dragon Age, it worked fine. The game didn't suddenly turn into RDR Undead Nightmare or anything. I gathered supplies and soldiers for the mayor and guard captain to help ward off the zombie attack. That stuff felt tedious, but maybe I just made it tedious. I actually looked up that quest online to make sure I didn't miss any preventative measures that I could have taken. Turns out I would have missed a couple of good soldiers if I didn't, but that's probably the last time I'll look up any quest for this game. Looking up quests takes away all of the mystery and magic of games like these, and I should have known that. Oh well, it didn't take too long to get things underway and put an end to the undead threat. After it was over I strolled into the bar and asked the new bartender lady for a heroes welcome. Did I mention that I loved this game's dialog options? After saving the village, I was free to go bust up that castle and finally get to talk to Arl Eamon, or so I thought. I got into the castle just to discover that the Arl's boy was possessed by another demon! After my last encounter with a demon, I was a little scared that the kid would die. A mage that I freed earlier then informed me that I had a few options to resolve this situation. I could: 
    1. Kill the boy, and the demon with it.
    2. Sacrifice the boy's mother in order to create a entrance into the Fade where I could then destroy the demon without killing the boy.
    3. Go to the Circle of Magi in order to ask for help from the mages. This complicated option would save both the mother and the boy.
    Being the kind-hearted human being that I am, I had to go with option number 3. Would it take an amazingly long time in comparison to the other options? Yes, but I just couldn't bring myself to kill an innocent if I didn't have to. And so I was off to the mage's tower for the first time. 

Circle Tower's in the middle of a lake
    I used my skills of persuasion to convince a guard to let me cross the river to enter the mage's tower. I was expecting to talk to someone and quickly get some help, but what I found was--as Doc Brown would say--some serious shit. The tower was under attack and the Templars were there, ready to initiate some kind of plan that involved killing everyone in the tower to clean it out and make sure that no demons are let loose on the world. Oh Dragon Age, you so crazy. It appeared I had no choice. I was thrust face first into a story mission that I had intended on completing at a later date. I told the head Templar that I'd fix this mess and I went in not at all knowing what I was in for. It started as the standard combat section type deal. I was climbing a tower, fighting mages, occasionally finding cowardly men hiding in closets. You know how it is. But then, then I ran into this crazy looking demon that was standing over a body. 

Before I knew it, he had condemned me and my party to a dream land that was supposed to be inescapable. It was awful because the first dream I had was one where I had to talk to Duncan. He got mad at me and I stuck him with my blade. I'm pretty sure he was a demon though, so it's all good. At this point I moved on to another dream land, and I was pretty confused at this point. Turned out that I needed to conquer eight separate dream worlds and rescue my party from their nightmares. I tweeted something about this section of the game being crazy when I was about halfway through, and a bunch of people told me that they thought that this dream section was the worst section of the game, super long, nearly made them stop playing, things of that nature. I was super surprised by all of the hate. I mean I could understand it to an extent as I felt similarly at first. When I first started this and figured out that I would have to work my way through semi-puzzly sections by transforming into various things, I thought two things. One being "why am I forced to do this? I need my party back!" and also "wow, all of this back-tracking is tedious". At some point though, all of it just kinda clicked and I started enjoying it. Some of the transformations you acquire are actually really cool. My character, being a warrior, wasn't able to transform into anything before, so I enjoyed that aspect a whole lot. There were also a ton of permanent stat increases laying around, so exploring every corner of these dream worlds was encouraged. At the end of the day, it was a really nice change of pace from literally everything else that I'd done up to that point. Tedium was indeed present, but I can get behind some well-structured tedium every now and then. I eventually confronted the demon that trapped me and my party and I took that dude out. This section was the most challenging of any I'd faced in the game so far, so I was relieved to be free of it. I then made my way to the top of the mage tower to stop this attack. Turns out a dude was trying to transform all of the mages into demons, so I had to ice that fool. Literally, Morrigan's ice spells were already super powerful at this point. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I picked up Wynne as a party member before I hit the dream land. She's a nice healer, but her personality seems a bit bland from what I've seen thus far. Haven't had a lot of time with her yet though. So anyways, I saved the day and finally got the head mage's help with saving the little possessed boy back at Redcliffe castle. 

Map of the dream world. Kill all demons... now! 

I then found myself back at the castle with the mages there waiting for me. Only one of my party mages could enter the Fade to fight the demon possessing the boy, so naturally I sent Morrigan. To make a somewhat short story even shorter: Yo, she killed that demon. After exiting the Fade, it seemed all was well. I would now need to talk to Arl Eamon about giving us some assistance, but wait! turns out Arl Eamon is too sick to speak, or even be conscious. Blast! I am now forced to travel to a town that I can't honestly remember the name of right now, and collect some sacred ashes that have healing powers of legend. Arl Eamon must be saved! 

That's where my most recent save has left me. I'm really liking this game a whole lot so far. The codex in this game--similarly to Mass Effect 2's codex--is faaantastic. Really really great stuff. It may even be better than Mass Effect's to be honest. There are just so many little scraps of paper that you find all around the world that get thrown in there and reading through them provides seemingly endless entertainment. One way that you can easily identify a video game's greatness is looking up at the clock and realizing that you've been playing for much longer than you had realized. This has happened to me every time that I've played Dragon Age. After recently finishing Mass Effect 2 and naming it my GOTY, I didn't expect Dragon Age to be on quite the same level. I was wrong. This game is incredible.

I have Dragon Age fever a year and a half after its initial release, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Hours of Dragon Age played thus far: ~24

<3 
    --JJWeatherman
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Note: If a game released in twenty-aught-nine can still be spoiled, then consider this a spoiler warning. 

I'm glad to be finally experiencing a game that I should have experienced day one. That game being Dragon Age: Origins. I recently bought the Ultimate Edition(!) that comes with a full second disc of DLC to pre-install. There's quite a bit of content there. I've been slowly working my way through the three traditional DLC packs and a bit of the regular story stuff. This has already been one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a very long while, so I thought I'd roleplay a bard and ramble to the masses regarding my wheelings and dealings.

I'd already played a bit of this game before, so I wasn't completely cold going in. I'd already experienced the mage origin story, so I went for the human noble this time around. I wanted to be a heavy-armor-wearing, damage-dealing warrior, so that seemed like my best bet. Named my character "LaJustin". That's kind of an inside joke type deal, which I still find amusing. But anyways, I found the noble's story to be alright. I have only one other to compare to, but this one had some good moments for sure. I can't be 100% sure here, but I think that guy that you meet next to your mother is a romance option. I was going through his dialog tree and I started getting options that seemed like they could lead to intimate relations. I was like: "Whoa, hold on there buddy! I thought we were just friends!". Not that there's anything wrong with a male character romancing another male, I just didn't expect to even have that option. I definitely can appreciate the freedom with things like that. I decided to court the nice lady elf though. That scene where the guards bust in totally caught me off guard. Did they have to kill such a nice lady-friend? Moving along. Pretty fun origin story is the point. 

Next was the obligatory trip to Ostagar. I have to say, for a required opening section, this is actually not a bad one. I think that it's a combination of the well-designed scenery, the plot points that are being laid out at this time, and all of the interaction with various people in camp that makes Ostagar interesting. There's the prisoner that hasn't been fed. There's that whole restricted mage gathering (so mysterious!). Also the dog trainer guy that gives you the quest to help the dogs. There's just a bunch to see and do for such an enclosed area. There's not a whole lot to say beyond that though. Starting that signal fire after the fighting starts is the game's first big battle scenario and it's fun. The beginning especially, where you are running across that long bridge as the battle rages around you, is great. The last time I played the game, I had seen Duncan and the king die in battle, so I wasn't shocked or anything this time around. That's a rough moment though. I felt so helpless watching them get crushed. (It's a good thing the Ultimate Box includes the "Return to Ostagar" DLC so that I could eventually come back and take some revenge, which I did.)

Hello, miss lady! 
    Hello, miss lady! 
    Then I was at the point where I gain Morrigan as a party member. I should state right now that I absolutely love nearly every character in this game. They are all either unique, funny, interesting, useful, or most commonly a combination of those things. Even if they're dicks at times, I always love them for it. Morrigan is no exception, and she's probably my favorite character in my party thus far. First and foremost, she's a pretty lady, I'm not gonna lie. I immediately dumped a bunch of gifts on her in hopes that she'd "warm up to me". She started out so rude towards me, but has since warmed up quite a bit. The dialog trees with her are made really fun and interesting when you have to always be conscious of her no-nonsense personality. When you start to decipher her personality a bit, you realize exactly how you have to act around her and how she'll probably react to certain situations. This is true enough of any of the characters in the game thus far, and I find that to be extremely rewarding. Really. I'd even venture to say that the character personalities and potential interactions are better than in Mass Effect 2, and those I thought were phenomenal. I find it extremely hard to leave Alistair or Morrigan out of my party because I then wouldn't be able to hear them go at each other with often vicious insults during a casual trek across town.

The next step of my journey brought me to the town just North of Ostagar. I think this is probably where most people end up after leaving with Morrigan. I took care of some random business there. I also picked up Sten by freeing him from his cage. That Sten's a tough nut to crack. I'm still working on him. Maybe one day he'll pour his guts out to me. That conversation would be fairly humorous considering how other conversations with him have gone so far. It's like he's an undercover agent trying to keep his background on a need-to-know basis. I do appreciate the occasional stark contrast of his personality in comparison to all of the other loquacious fellows I've met in Ferelden. After picking him up, I headed strait to camp to meet my personal traveling Dwarf salesman and his hilarious son. I feel kind of bad calling him hilarious, but I never get tired of the excitement he exudes as I ask for his assistance with enchantment. "Enchantment? ... ENCHANTMENT!". Other camp activities that night included dirty deeds with Morrigan. Thank you gift pack DLC.  :P

I made the choice from there to take on one of the three quick-and-dirty mission DLC packs. First up was the "Warden's Keep" DLC just for the reason that it gives both nice equipment, and an infinite storage chest. I figured--knowing how I role in games like these--that the storage chest would be supremely useful. The mission itself was interesting, albeit rather short. I had expected that going in though. It was fun getting some history on earlier Grey Wardens and ultimately confronting the last of the survivors of their battle. Turns out he has been researching blood magic and torturing subjects in the process. I let him live, but I made it clear that he'll no longer use subjects in his tests. I have no idea how his research is coming along as I haven't been back to visit him in his lonely tower.

Infinite chest in hand, I then decided to take my talents to South Beach. No wait, it was just a little village in order to rescue a deactivated pile of rubble. AKA: the "Stone Prisoner" DLC pack. I got a bit mixed up though and accidentally activated the "Return to Ostagar" DLC quest instead. I decided to roll with the punches and headed back out to the recently decimated Ostagar. It was probably a little soon to do this one since the DLC was seemingly meant to take place quite a while after the events of the initial Ostagar battle. There should be hordes of Dark Spawn there just following a battle like that, but as stated in game, the Dark Spawn are far less entrenched than suspected. This was a fun little romp back through the once-great, now-icy and barren Ostagar camp. Collecting the former king's armor pieces after killing each Dark Spawn general was extra satisfying. It all concluded with the resurrection of the Ogre that killed the King. I killed the shit outta that dude! If only Duncan had let me fight in the battle in the first place. I then wrapped up by giving the king's body a nice funeral. Morrigan--being the practical woman that she is--wasn't too happy about that, but I've had to piss her off a couple of times before that, so it was nothing new (Here's another gift, baby!). I stashed the king's armor in my infinite chest since I couldn't currently wear it, and headed to my initially intended destination. I was off to find the Stone Prisoner.

This is another one hour mini-adventure. It nets you a sweet golem ally though, so I figured that would be interesting. I had no idea. Shale's a flat out amazing character. I love him. Not only is he strong in combat, but his personality is top-notch. He insists on referring to my entire party as "It", even though he calls other select humans by their names. I'd love to see him set up an online dating profile:  

" It must be made of stone, like me. It mustn't be in connection with a control rod, or under anyone's control in any way. It must enjoy the death of any and all bird creatures. These are my conditions. "

OK, enough fanfic. This mission was worth the time. Fighting a demon that had possessed a kitty cat is probably the best reason to play through this (other than Shale). The sad part was my inability to stop demon kitty from turning into demon-kitty-girl, and then just strait-up demon. I felt genuinely bad after letting that guy down by not saving his daughter. I wonder if anything significant would have come of saving the girl. Something to check out next playthrough I suppose. It took me a while to figure it out, but I eventually discovered that swapping out crystals would change Shale's crystal color. I found that neat. I've been having issues finding legitimately good crystals so far though. They've all bee cracked or flawed thus far. I'm sure I'll come across better ones at some point. 

Despite all indications, I am indeed aware that attention spans on the internet are often limited. All I can say is that for this I apologize, because I aint done yet. 

At this point in my journey I decided that Alistair's plan to get Arl Eamon's help in Redcliffe was the proper course of action. It turns out that town went to shit recently. I quickly found myself in the thick of an undead invasion. As I was listening to people in town describe the attackers, I was just thinking: "Really Dragon Age? Zombies? Fuuuu!". It did turn out to basically be a zombie attack, but within the context of Dragon Age, it worked fine. The game didn't suddenly turn into RDR Undead Nightmare or anything. I gathered supplies and soldiers for the mayor and guard captain to help ward off the zombie attack. That stuff felt tedious, but maybe I just made it tedious. I actually looked up that quest online to make sure I didn't miss any preventative measures that I could have taken. Turns out I would have missed a couple of good soldiers if I didn't, but that's probably the last time I'll look up any quest for this game. Looking up quests takes away all of the mystery and magic of games like these, and I should have known that. Oh well, it didn't take too long to get things underway and put an end to the undead threat. After it was over I strolled into the bar and asked the new bartender lady for a heroes welcome. Did I mention that I loved this game's dialog options? After saving the village, I was free to go bust up that castle and finally get to talk to Arl Eamon, or so I thought. I got into the castle just to discover that the Arl's boy was possessed by another demon! After my last encounter with a demon, I was a little scared that the kid would die. A mage that I freed earlier then informed me that I had a few options to resolve this situation. I could: 
    1. Kill the boy, and the demon with it.
    2. Sacrifice the boy's mother in order to create a entrance into the Fade where I could then destroy the demon without killing the boy.
    3. Go to the Circle of Magi in order to ask for help from the mages. This complicated option would save both the mother and the boy.
    Being the kind-hearted human being that I am, I had to go with option number 3. Would it take an amazingly long time in comparison to the other options? Yes, but I just couldn't bring myself to kill an innocent if I didn't have to. And so I was off to the mage's tower for the first time. 

I used my skills of persuasion to convince a guard to let me cross the river to enter the mage's tower. I was expecting to talk to someone and quickly get some help, but what I found was--as Doc Brown would say--some serious shit. The tower was under attack and the Templars were there, ready to initiate some kind of plan that involved killing everyone in the tower to clean it out and make sure that no demons are let loose on the world. Oh Dragon Age, you so crazy. It appeared I had no choice. I was thrust face first into a story mission that I had intended on completing at a later date. I told the head Templar that I'd fix this mess and I went in not at all knowing what I was in for. It started as the standard combat section type deal. I was climbing a tower, fighting mages, occasionally finding cowardly men hiding in closets. You know how it is. But then, then I ran into this crazy looking demon that was standing over a body. 

Before I knew it, he had condemned me and my party to a dream land that was supposed to be inescapable. It was awful because the first dream I had was one where I had to talk to Duncan. He got mad at me and I stuck him with my blade. I'm pretty sure he was a demon though, so it's all good. At this point I moved on to another dream land, and I was pretty confused at this point. Turned out that I needed to conquer eight separate dream worlds and rescue my party from their nightmares. I tweeted something about this section of the game being crazy when I was about halfway through, and a bunch of people told me that they thought that this dream section was the worst section of the game, super long, nearly made them stop playing, things of that nature. I was super surprised by all of the hate. I mean I could understand it to an extent as I felt similarly at first. When I first started this and figured out that I would have to work my way through semi-puzzly sections by transforming into various things, I thought two things. One being "why am I forced to do this? I need my party back!" and also "wow, all of this back-tracking is tedious". At some point though, all of it just kinda clicked and I started enjoying it. Some of the transformations you acquire are actually really cool. My character, being a warrior, wasn't able to transform into anything before, so I enjoyed that aspect a whole lot. There were also a ton of permanent stat increases laying around, so exploring every corner of these dream worlds was encouraged. At the end of the day, it was a really nice change of pace from literally everything else that I'd done up to that point. Tedium was indeed present, but I can get behind some well-structured tedium every now and then. I eventually confronted the demon that trapped me and my party and I took that dude out. This section was the most challenging of any I'd faced in the game so far, so I was relieved to be free of it. I then made my way to the top of the mage tower to stop this attack. Turns out a dude was trying to transform all of the mages into demons, so I had to ice that fool. Literally, Morrigan's ice spells were already super powerful at this point. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I picked up Wynne as a party member before I hit the dream land. She's a nice healer, but her personality seems a bit bland from what I've seen thus far. Haven't had a lot of time with her yet though. So anyways, I saved the day and finally got the head mage's help with saving the little possessed boy back at Redcliffe castle. 

I then found myself back at the castle with the mages there waiting for me. Only one of my party mages could enter the Fade to fight the demon possessing the boy, so naturally I sent Morrigan. To make a somewhat short story even shorter: Yo, she killed that demon. After exiting the Fade, it seemed all was well. I would now need to talk to Arl Eamon about giving us some assistance, but wait! turns out Arl Eamon is too sick to speak, or even be conscious. Blast! I am now forced to travel to a town that I can't honestly remember the name of right now, and collect some sacred ashes that have healing powers of legend. Arl Eamon must be saved! 

That's where my most recent save has left me. I'm really liking this game a whole lot so far. The codex in this game--similarly to Mass Effect 2's codex--is faaantastic. Really really great stuff. It may even be better than Mass Effect's to be honest. There are just so many little scraps of paper that you find all around the world that get thrown in there and reading through them provides seemingly endless entertainment. One way that you can easily identify a video game's greatness is looking up at the clock and realizing that you've been playing for much longer than you had realized. This has happened to me every time that I've played Dragon Age. After recently finishing Mass Effect 2 and naming it my GOTY, I didn't expect Dragon Age to be on quite the same level. I was wrong. This game is incredible.

I have Dragon Age fever a year and a half after its initial release, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Hours of Dragon Age played thus far: ~24

<3 
    --JJWeatherman
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jorbear

Which platform are you playing this wonderful game on?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @jorbear said:
    " Which platform are you playing this wonderful game on? "
    The worst one, as seen in the first pic. Still enjoying it though.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jorbear
    @JJWeatherman: Thats too bad. If you ever have the chance, get it on PC. It's a completely different gameplay experience. 
    NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By NakAttack
    @JJWeatherman: keep shale around for ostagar(?) it is amazing with him in it.
    The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Tolman

Don't dismiss the xbox's experience entirely, I played the game for well over 100 hours and never got frustrated by controls.  

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
    @ProjectMayhem said:
    " Don't dismiss the xbox's experience entirely, I played the game for well over 100 hours and never got frustrated by controls.   "
    My first playthrough was on the 360 and I had no problems, either...until I played the PC version. I literally can't go back to the console. The controls and the mods makes it a completely different (and better) game.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @nk19 said:

" @JJWeatherman: keep shale around for ostagar(?) it is amazing with him in it. "

You mean her ;) 

(I don't think this is a spoiler really. I tried to put it in the spoiler tag, but it wrecked havok on my original post....)
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Aragorn123 said:

" @ProjectMayhem said:

" Don't dismiss the xbox's experience entirely, I played the game for well over 100 hours and never got frustrated by controls.   "
    My first playthrough was on the 360 and I had no problems, either...until I played the PC version. I literally can't go back to the console. The controls and the mods makes it a completely different (and better) game. "
    Which is exactly why I'd rather not even try the PC version. I'm perfectly content with the controls as they are now on the 360. I don't want that ruined. 

I'm a controller guy as well, so while I'm sure the mouse and keyboard provide a better experience, it probably won't be the enormous leap that most people find it to be (for myself at least).
    NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NakAttack
    @JoeyRavn: your right, my bad. Haven't played the game in over a year. 
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By wunder_
    @JJWeatherman:  Rad! I think the only real DLC worth playing through is the free one where you get Shale. Shale's a real beast in terms of damage and can easily just switch to defense really quick. But; seeing as you're a warrior perhaps a Wynne/Alistair combo is for the best.
    Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Khemitude

The dream part of the Mages tower actually did make me stop playing... three seperate times!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I own both the PC and 360 version and I honestly can't say there's too much of a difference.  The PC version is definitely superior and the combat is more tactical. 
    But it's not a huge change, certainly nothing I'd consider a "completely different experience". 

If you have the option, go with the PC version without a doubt.  But if you're stuck with the consoles, you're not getting a lesser experience, or anything like that.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Great post! This really makes me want to play more dragon age. I think I'll do that now. See you guys in 50 hours.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By endaround

So you missed out on Leliana?

Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Drakhir

Got the Dragon Age fever last holidays. Finished the main storyline and most of the sidequests in 50 hours and I'm now going to play with a different character, with an evil alignment. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @endaround said:
    " So you missed out on Leliana? "
    Aw crap. I sure hope not. I did get Zevran though. Forgot to mention him as I just picked him up super recently. At what point is Leliana not acquirable?
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tiwi

I totally murdered that dudes mother. and then I totally got it on with morrigan. Totally worth it.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By D0tti

Great post JJ, I actually read everything :P So thats a good thing in my book, hehe. But anyways I agree with you this is a great game, i've play through the game twice(mage first time and human noble warrior second time) and reading this makes me wanna play the game again, but unfortunally for me I have alot of others game I haven't even touched from 2010.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By endaround
    @JJWeatherman: She's in Lothering.  If Lothering has been razed (which I think is after the first big story mission (ie the mage tower in your case) she's gone.  There's is a lot to do in Lothering and it sounds like you missed a bunch of it.  Everywhere in DA:O is really packed with things to do.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @endaround said:
    " @JJWeatherman: She's in Lothering.  If Lothering has been razed (which I think is after the first big story mission (ie the mage tower in your case) she's gone. "
    Sonnavabitch 

Bright side: More new content for my second playthrough!
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Nice post, still, really hate these kinds of games. Well, with my love of Bioware I'm thinking of giving this a chance, however just the general ancient feel quite frankly makes me sick.

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zepp

Ugh I hated the "Shade" part., but that one part was still better than a lot of games in their entirety. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " Nice post, still, really hate these kinds of games. Well, with my love of Bioware I'm thinking of giving this a chance, however just the general ancient feel quite frankly makes me sick. "
    I'd say definitely give it a chance. If you aren't super excited to play it though, then maybe you'd be better off going with the PC version just so the controls wouldn't be an issue. That is if you have a PC that can run it. I wish I did.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " Nice post, still, really hate these kinds of games. Well, with my love of Bioware I'm thinking of giving this a chance, however just the general ancient feel quite frankly makes me sick. "
    I'd say definitely give it a chance. If you aren't super excited to play it though, then maybe you'd be better off going with the PC version just so the controls wouldn't be an issue. That is if you have a PC that can run it. I wish I did. "
    Well, since my PC could run ME2 just fine it should. This may sound stupid but, does it support a controller? D:
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    I'd say definitely give it a chance. If you aren't super excited to play it though, then maybe you'd be better off going with the PC version just so the controls wouldn't be an issue. That is if you have a PC that can run it. I wish I did. "
    Well, since my PC could run ME2 just fine it should. This may sound stupid but, does it support a controller? D: "
    I don't think so, but games like this work much better with mouse and keyboard. There're a ton of skills that I imagine are much easier to dish out via keys.

@zepp said:
    " Ugh I hated the "Shade" part., but that one part was still better than a lot of games in their entirety.  "
    This is true. If that was an XBLA game--case zero/west style--I'd play it.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Red

Man, I should probably replay that game some time.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude

I didn't mind the Fade that much, but the Deep Roads, now that's a different story, they went on and on and on.

My only problem with games like this is the sense of urgency and the intending doom that is present in the world, but then you're allowed to just tinker about doing nothing or doing sidequests. It really takes me out of the experience, like the game world stops until the player opens up that mission and then boom. Oblivion was just like that too. The world is in danger, and I'm out picking flowers... crazy.

Dragon Age is still an awesome video game.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunExplosions
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @endaround said:
    " @JJWeatherman: She's in Lothering.  If Lothering has been razed (which I think is after the first big story mission (ie the mage tower in your case) she's gone. "
    Sonnavabitch  Bright side: More new content for my second playthrough! "
    She's annoying anyways. 

Don't worry about playing it on the xbox. Apparently the load times are better than the ps3 version. But let me tell you from buying it on the ps3... the framerate on that game is almost unbearable. Xbox wasn't the worst choice.
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to give it up to you, I played about 2 hours of the 360 version and returned it. The PC Version is much better, but runs like crap on my current rig.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Ramone

I liked DA:O but I wasn't super hot on it. Maybe I should play it again.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By babblinmule

I got the ultimate edition for christmas and finished witch hunt off on thursday night, running me at about 90 hours. I too played on the 360 version though, which is fine if you're playing on normal, but I sense that if you want to step up the difficulty and thus have to pause it every 5 seconds, you're going to have serious difficulties with the controls. 

Also awakenings is easily one of the finest expansion packs that ive ever played, both in terms of quality and quantity.

Damn.... now I want to play through it again (Ive been an elf mage and a dwarven warrior so far, so I guess I should round it all out with a human rogue). Does anyone know if the rumours are true about rogues making the game alot harder though?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Great to hear your enjoying it, the game is incredible. 
    Im interested to see what they're going to do with dragon age 2. 
    DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Nice read. Dragon Age is awesome! 

I have the vanilla version of the game and have actually yet to play any of the DLC besides Shale. The Ultimate Edition seems like the best way to go about that, but essentially buying the same game twice kind of puts me off. Think I should just get it anyway and sell the one I don't need?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FritzDude

I'm a super fan of Dragon Age and i play on the 360, usually on Hard difficulty without any problems really. It's much easier on the PC to navigate and coordinate tactics (no brainer), but it's absolutely doable on the consoles. Making super tactics is the key in this game, unless you play on casual / normal, which is a breeze to play through, no challenge, except for Golems of Amgarrak, which is hard even on normal. My advise; Use the "Pause" feature often. Make tactics manually and don't use the auto bullcrap. Read your enemies tactics before entering combat (Use salves, potions, poison, traps etc for the current battle scenario). Oh, and pick up everything and sell it if you dont use it. Reading some posts on other forums, it seems that people completely forget about making potions by ingredients, but still pick up ingredients, and then complain about the lack of health potions drops. Anyway, Cannot wait to get my hands-on with Dragon Age 2. And it's nice to hear you like it, even on the 360. Happy trails for you in the future.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Claude said:
    " I didn't mind the Fade that much, but the Deep Roads, now that's a different story, they went on and on and on.  My only problem with games like this is the sense of urgency and the intending doom that is present in the world, but then you're allowed to just tinker about doing nothing or doing sidequests. It really takes me out of the experience, like the game world stops until the player opens up that mission and then boom. Oblivion was just like that too. The world is in danger, and I'm out picking flowers... crazy.  Dragon Age is still an awesome video game. "
    Oh geez, the Deep Roads.  Played through the game again recently and forgot what a nightmare that was.  Orzamaar is longer than every other section of the game combined
    And then the DLC adds even more to the deep roads, because apparently they weren't quite long enough the first time. 

I think the problem is the developers considered the Orzamaar plot with the dwarfs a separate story section to the stuff in the Deep Roads, despite them being so interconnected.  I hope they realized what a bad idea it was for the second game though.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nice write up. I read all of it. Even though I played the decidedly inferior 360 version, I still consider Dragon Age to be one of my favorite games of all time and my favorite game of 2009. Although, I still totally hate the Fade. And I wish I had a computer capable of running the PC version. And it's ok that you missed Leliana. She's kind of annoying. Also very french. And a bow user. Because archery is kind of terrible in this game until Awakenings, at which point it becomes borderline broken.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Enigma777

I find the random conversations that happen between Morrigan and Sten to be most amusing.  

Still, while I enjoyed the story and loved the world, I found myself wishing that the gameplay was a bit more exciting (at least on consoles). Hopefully DA2 will fix that.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude: These "Deep Roads" you speak of sound ominous. Hopefully I can enjoy this part as well. 

@babblinmule: Since you've finished all of the DLC, do you think that I should play the Leliana's Song DLC, or wait until my second playthrough since I've missed Leliana this time? I'll probably appreciate what happens in that DLC more if I actually know the character, but idk. 

@FritzDude: I've messed around with the tactics stuff quite a bit. I haven't made too many changes though as it's hard to know exactly what will be useful. I'm sure as I get more experience with the game I'll start to become better at setting up tactics that actually work. Good tips about the crafting and trap making too. I almost always forget to do that stuff even though I have a few party members that are capable of it. 

@Enigma777: I'll have to bring sten around a lot more often. I've been choosing Shale or Wynne over him recently.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40  Edited By natetodamax

I loved playing as a Mage most of all, even on the consoles. I just felt that I was sitting around watching my character fight when I was a warrior, whereas playing as a mage felt a lot more tactical and engaging. Great game overall; I would probably be willing to give it another go if I had it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Claude
    @JJWeatherman:  You've been on a little Bioware overload lately, no? It's hard to believe Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are made by the same developer. They don't play like each other at all.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking love this game, probably even more than Mass Effect. Great combat system, great story, tons of choices that let you do just the worst shit ever to people.

Some of the parts drag a lot though, too much battling without a lot of story. Like the Deep Roads. Fucking love the Dwarves, but fuck the Deep Roads. Fuck them so hard. 

And not in the good way. in the bad way. In the way people don't want to be fucked.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude said:
    " @JJWeatherman:  You've been on a little Bioware overload lately, no? It's hard to believe Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are made by the same developer. They don't play like each other at all. "
    Oh yes. I've also been playing bits of KOTOR and Baldur's Gate recently. Can't get enough of BioWare. 

@LordXavierBritish said:
    " I fucking love this game, probably even more than Mass Effect. Great combat system, great story, tons of choices that let you do just the worst shit ever to people. Some of the parts drag a lot though, too much battling without a lot of story. Like the Deep Roads. Fucking love the Dwarves, but fuck the Deep Roads. Fuck them so hard.  And not in the good way. in the bad way. In the way people don't want to be fucked. "
    You're not kidding. I cannot wait to start a new playthrough and do all of the evil shit that I've passed on so far this time.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By babblinmule
    @JJWeatherman:  I would probably wait until your second playthrough to play Leliana's Song since it really fleshes out her back story superbly. She went from a slightly interesting character in my books, to a really, really interesting character after playing through that DLC.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @babblinmule said:
    " @JJWeatherman:  I would probably wait until your second playthrough to play Leliana's Song since it really fleshes out her back story superbly. She went from a slightly interesting character in my books, to a really, really interesting character after playing through that DLC. "
    Will do. Thanks for the tip.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bibledoctor

I must have played through DA at least fifteen times, and I plan on doing it again before DA2 drops.  

I love me some Dragon Age.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @nk19
    @JJWeatherman: keep shale around for ostagar(?) it is amazing with him in it.
    Her.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.