Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

What You'll Need To Play Dragon Age On PC

• 128 results
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By vaiz

I still can't get over god damned marilyn manson in the trailer.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#52  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Even my friend's super high end computer capable of running Oblivion at max settings couldn't run this on recommended.
    Guess its the 360 version for me then.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Jayge_
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Even my friend's super high end computer capable of running Oblivion at max settings couldn't run this on recommended.Guess its the 360 version for me then. "
    Pfawahahahawhahahahahahahahahahahahaha, c'mon man.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Jayge said:
    "
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Even my friend's super high end computer capable of running Oblivion at max settings couldn't run this on recommended.Guess its the 360 version for me then. "
    "
    It's a pretty good computer. The only thing its lacking from the recommended specs is a quad core processor. I just used Oblivion because that is the most modern game he has for it.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jayge_
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    "
    @Jayge said:
    "
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    "
    It's a pretty good computer. The only thing its lacking from the recommended specs is a quad core processor. I just used Oblivion because that is the most modern game he has for it. "
    Yeah but... it's Oblivion dude. Why doesn't he have any other recent games?
    Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

20 Gigs?!  What the hell is this game doing that it needs 20 gigs?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Also, I assume that the 360 version will come on two disks?

leeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By leeto

20 GB???

Man, curse my AGP-only motherboard and my lack of upgrade funds!
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

my new laptop should be able to run this... although for me a laptop is less than ideal for gaming, so i think i'll play this on ps3 anyway. besides, i'm saving the space on my laptop for developing games for college rather than playing games.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#60  Edited By GioVANNI

I'd rather play Dragon Age on my PC for the controls, but I have a feeling my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.  Looks like PS3 for me!

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By jaks

20 gigs? That's a lot of nu metal.

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By Oy

sweet, I can run this at recommended.

FrumpyBiscuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FrumpyBiscuts

I said this on Game Trailers earlier this morning. Specs don't hold true to me. I have a fairly nice laptop and a really crappy laptop as backup storage just incase my laptop I use fails. My backup is a 3 year old Dell running xp with a half gig of ram and 50 gigs of HD. I run L4D and TF2 on it just fine. No FPS raping or lag spikes, all smooth. So I am pretty sure that this will run on my laptop I have now. I am getting the 360 version and the PC version. If the PC one just happens to not work, I have backup.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CashBailey

Brad, I'm pretty sure my old rig is the same as yours and I've never been too impressed with the performance of the Athlon processor.

But I just upgraded to a sweet custom-built Intel i7 system, overclocked to 3.8GHZ, 6G DDR3 RAM, GeFORCE GTX 295 1.8G video card.

Even CRYSIS on full settings runs really well on it.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By coaxmetal
    @cinemandrew said:
    " @Jayge: That sounds about right. That's still pretty crazy though. I've been thinking about getting a new PC since my current one is getting pretty old, but there doesn't seem to be much value in it anymore. Especially when most games I want to play on PC are also coming out on consoles, they're just "better" on PC. "
    In general, the are better, since most game developers allow the PC version to take advantage of the superior hardware most gaming PC's have (superior compared to consoles) so there is better graphics true AA, higher res, that sort of thing. The other advantage PC versions allow is the alternative play style of using a mouse and keyboard (though you can use a controller too, 360 controller works on PC) as well as game customization/modding and the like.

Even had I owned a 360, I would be getting this title for PC anyway, because of the modding potential and beacuse, for this type of game, I prefer a 3rd person, Top Down, Isometric gameplay style (old school CRPG) and that is more or less impossible w/o a mouse anyway.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By TomA

Recommended Specifications

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent      CHECK
    • RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)                              CHECK
    • Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater                CHECK
    • NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater                         CHECK
    • DVD ROM (Physical copy)                     CHECK
    • 20 GB HD space                 AND CHECK!!!!!!!
    CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CashBailey
    @Inf225 said:
    " What!!! 4.0 gigs recommended on vista wtf??? "
    Vista chews up RAM like nobody's business. Especially running the 64BIT version like I am.

It looks pretty and all, but its functionality is for shit.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By cinemandrew
    @Riboflavin said:
    " @cinemandrew said:
    " @Jayge: That sounds about right. That's still pretty crazy though. I've been thinking about getting a new PC since my current one is getting pretty old, but there doesn't seem to be much value in it anymore. Especially when most games I want to play on PC are also coming out on consoles, they're just "better" on PC. "
    In general, the are better, since most game developers allow the PC version to take advantage of the superior hardware most gaming PC's have (superior compared to consoles) so there is better graphics true AA, higher res, that sort of thing. The other advantage PC versions allow is the alternative play style of using a mouse and keyboard (though you can use a controller too, 360 controller works on PC) as well as game customization/modding and the like.Even had I owned a 360, I would be getting this title for PC anyway, because of the modding potential and beacuse, for this type of game, I prefer a 3rd person, Top Down, Isometric gameplay style (old school CRPG) and that is more or less impossible w/o a mouse anyway. "
    I agree that the PC version will be the superior version, but my point was more that (in my opinion) $700-$1000 is really not worth spending to be able to use a keyboard, and play at a higher rez. If it were just a matter of a couple updates on an already current machine, that's one thing. My PC, however, is about 6 years old now. I would need to get a whole new machine. I can certainly see why people buy computers, and I'd love to get a new one when I'm making more money, but for now, I'm happy with my xbox.
    digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By digital_sin

Strange, pretty high rec. specs for a game that didn't look THAT good in trailers.

tr1b3ta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By tr1b3ta

wow hit the recommended requirements almost exactly. glad i won't have to upgrade

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @cinemandrew said:
    " Anyone have any idea how much the recommended PC would cost? Not that I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. I just want to put it in perspective.Edit: I just priced a PC from Dell, just to see. I probably could have found something cheaper if I wanted to spend more time on it, but the one I priced was $1700 (no software, no monitor, no keyboard, mouse, no extras). Obviously Dell is not going to be the cheaper end of the spectrum, but still. I don't think I've ever been happier to own a 360. "
    My PC nearly meets the recommended specs (as in I have a dual core Core 2 instead of a quad core) and altogether it cost me about $1100-1200. My last upgrade was $700, the rest of the stuff I already had. I'm sure a Core 2 Quad or a lower-end i7 will come out at nearly the same price as the Core 2 Duo I bought 8-10 months ago.
    legendary1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By legendary1

You shouldn't need to spend that much to create a computer running this.

Graphics: Radeon 4850: $120 (actually way above the requirements, but barely more expensive).
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8300 or Q6600: $175 (Both about meet the requirements, but these are easily overclockable by 30-50%ish, so you are again actually getting far more power then needed)
    Motherboard: $60-120 depending on what you want. (Good motherboards with overclocking ability will cost a tad bit more, but pay off if you need it)
    RAM: 2x2G of DDR2 RAM 800 : $50 (You don't even need 4 Gigs with an updated copy of vista or with win7, this is just as insurance for people who are running fresh copies with all the problems Vista had on release. 2.5 gigs should do it, maybe 3 gigs if you want to stretch it)
    Total: About $450-500
    All prices I got off newegg, may be able to get even cheaper if you look around.

Assuming you are using a computer at the moment, you already have everything else like the monitor, speakers/headphones, keyboard, mouse, and OS I assume, just keep those. In fact if your computer is relatively recent, there is a good chance you already have a compatible motherboard, and if you overclock your CPU to meet the recommended requirements thats even more money in your pocket. If you wanted to trim down the cost even further, a comp that ONLY met the recommended requirements would probably cost about $400, but honestly its better just to pay the extra $50-100 so that your computer is significantly faster and when a game comes out 1-2 years from now you aren't forced to upgrade again. This system should easily be runnable (not maxed, but decently beating the minimum requirements enough to be smooth) on games for a good 2-3 years.

Personally I have a Q6600 overclocked from 2.4 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz, a geforce 8800GT, and 2 gigs of RAM. Could probably use another stick of RAM at some point, but I'm doing fine at the moment.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mordukai

I'll rent it for the PS3 first. I am not going to make the same mistake I did with Fallout 3. 

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Maru
    Looks like my quad-core will finally get a workout.

@cinemandrew said:
    "Anyone have any idea how much the recommended PC would cost? Not that I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. I just want to put it in perspective.Edit: I just priced a PC from Dell, just to see. I probably could have found something cheaper if I wanted to spend more time on it, but the one I priced was $1700 (no software, no monitor, no keyboard, mouse, no extras). Obviously Dell is not going to be the cheaper end of the spectrum, but still. I don't think I've ever been happier to own a 360."

About $900 including vista,  if you want to build your own.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mordukai
    @TurboShitz said:
    "
    @Mordukai said:
    "I'll rent it for the PS3 first. I am not going to make the same mistake I did with Fallout 3.  "
    i second that. what Bethesda did with the ps3 version is amazing. they shouldnt have released it. "
    Actually I bought the 360 version of that game. 13 hours into Fallout 3 I just got severely bored and I did not enjoy the game at all. But I saw the ps3 version and you are right. Bethesda did make a hack job of the ps3 version of that game. It's sad to see that game studios are cutting corners with the ps3 just so they won't have to have a ps3 development team or to save money in order for the executives to have another bonus package. 
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By Kyle

When everyone said there was Manson in the trailer, I didn't know they meant "The New Shit". I approve.

Also, I meet recommended specs. Gigahertz all up in your face!

Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Alwaysrun

I always knew Giant Bomb was very console oriented site but reading these system requirements as a pc gamer really I'm astonished so many here think these requirements are steep. In my group of pc gamer freinds I'm the bottom feeder with tri-sli gtx 260s and a core 2 duo E8400 @ 4.05Ghz, can you say bottleneck (yeah I know). Anywho... with my year old pc I paid $1500 for I'll be crushing Dragon Age with no problems probably on max settings 1920x1200. Can't wait. Brad I'm astonished as a reviewer your system is so antiquated, my god man what if anything do you guys review pc games on? Giant bomb should have a killer i7 rig with a 975 and Quad sli running 2 gtx 295s and toss in a 3rd graphics card for dedicated PhysX. I've seen the control scheme for the x-box from your E3 coverage and sicerely I wasn't impressed, I'm going with the pc version on this one.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By MadeinFinland

I usually never even look at the requirements any more. And the requirements aren't too steep. Vista always has a tendency to require a hell of a lot more RAM than XP. I am warily looking at that 20GB hard drive space though. I have half-a-tera, but these games are getting massive!

Avatar image for thefaintingbear
    TheFaintingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79  Edited By TheFaintingBear

Wow, i meet all the Recommended besides the dang video card, but isnt the 88gt better than the 88gts?
    probably not, and 20 gigs is alot, but Age of Conan is 26gigs, which is fucking crazy!
    Bear

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Seedofpower

Woot! My computer destroys those specs and I can't wait for this game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I pass all the recommended except my processor is a quad core 2.33ghz and video card doesn't pass :(

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By piropeople13
    @cinemandrew: o.O  Your pricing is out of whack.  Keep in mind recommended settings are set to look way better than wither of the consoles.  If you wanted to be on par with 360 visuals, the price would be much lower.

Still, CORE 2 QUAD?  paired with an 8800GTS?  That is REALLY CPU heavy.  A better port would have more visual effects offloaded to the GPU where they belong.  That code must be messy.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By cinemandrew
    @piropeople13: I was really just curious what the recommended settings would cost at Dell. I realize I can get a computer cheaper, and that I don't need to be running at the recommended specs. It was just curiosity.
    bcfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By bcfish

there was no question i would be forced, i say again FORCED to play DAO on 360, which sounds like it would work, but on the photage alone you could tell this game would be a hog to play on any slightly old PC, such as my own

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @legendary1 said:
    " CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8300 or Q6600: $175 (Both about meet the requirements, but these are easily overclockable by 30-50%ish, so you are again actually getting far more power then needed). "
    Good call on the overclocking.  Its a great way to get more bang for your buck.  Don't forget an aftermarket CPU cooler though.  There's no way you could clock a Q6600 up that high with the stock Intel heat sink.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By fugie7

well computer is old and im really to lazy to updated it so im going to get it on the 360

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By ApertureSilence

Sounds like my MacBook Pro should be able to run this game reasonably well. Would I be mistaking in this assumption?

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By nvmfst

Hellz yeah! Recommended settings for me. *Starts banging on the table*

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#90  Edited By Chummy8

I really, really want to play this on the PC, but my sorry computer can't handle it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm right at the recommended requirements. I guess that means I won't be able to run it. 
    Darn shame....yup.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By dagas

Hmm 8800GTS 512 is what is recommended and that is what I have. However I like to play games maxxed out and I doubt it's enough for that. Usually required is that is needed to play on low and recommended what is needed to play on medium settings, but I wan't to play on high or very high settings so I guess a new card is in order...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By eroticfishcake

Just about. Though it's more than likely that's it's gonna run like shite. At least I still can play it though, that's all I want.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#94  Edited By natetodamax

My computer would explode if I tried to play that.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DeviantJoker

A good way to test whether or not your comptuter will even be able to run the game will be to run the Character Creation part of the game. This will let you tell if you can run the game but not how well you can run the game.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By crusnchill

Just to show off my pride and joy. 

@Bioware: My machine can eat this thing for breakfast and ask for seconds ;-p 

My system: 
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 2GB 
    4GB RAM (Heatproof)  
    Quad-core Phenom, black edition.
    Vindicator CPU fan. (Depending on the paste that is used, this bad boy can reduce CPU temperature from 60C all the way down to 20C. and mine runs at a cool and stable, 25C.)  

Runs crysis, Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 like a dream. (Still have to open a window though lol, even with great heat control, it gets damn hot.) 

I can't wait for Dragon Age Though.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Ulong

My computer is this:

Windows XP
    Pentium 4 cpu, 3,60ghz
    1gb ram
    Radeon X800 XT

I barely meet the minimum system requirements, except my graphics card is a bit too old. (minimum says it wants a X850). I intend to play on the lowest possible graphics settings possible, but, will the fact that my graphics is an x800 instead of an x850 make the game unplayable, or can I squeeze by as is? I really want to play this on the pc and bring back memories of old Bauldur's gate 2 playthroughs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e95b60fb151b
    deactivated-5e95b60fb151b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope a 9800 gt will play this smoothly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusnchill said:
    " Just to show off my pride and joy.  @Bioware: My machine can eat this thing for breakfast and ask for seconds ;-p My system: ATI Radeon HD 4870 2GB 4GB RAM (Heatproof)  Quad-core Phenom, black edition.Vindicator CPU fan. (Depending on the paste that is used, this bad boy can reduce CPU temperature from 60C all the way down to 20C. and mine runs at a cool and stable, 25C.)  Runs crysis, Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 like a dream. (Still have to open a window though lol, even with great heat control, it gets damn hot.) I can't wait for Dragon Age Though. "
    Yeah I don't think your PC is as good as you think it is. I have an E8400, 4GB RAM and a 4870 as well, but I'm not too sure if I'll be able to max this game out. I'm sure I can turn shadows off and AA down a bit and be fine though.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By endaround
    @Ulong said:
    " My computer is this:    Windows XPPentium 4 cpu, 3,60ghz 1gb ram Radeon X800 XT   I barely meet the minimum system requirements, except my graphics card is a bit too old. (minimum says it wants a X850). I intend to play on the lowest possible graphics settings possible, but, will the fact that my graphics is an x800 instead of an x850 make the game unplayable, or can I squeeze by as is? I really want to play this on the pc and bring back memories of old Bauldur's gate 2 playthroughs. "
    You're biggest issue is likely the RAM and not the GPU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.