Which add-on to buy?

#1 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -

I just recently bought Dragon Age Origins and am have a lot of fun with it. I have 800 points on LIVE and I was wondering which would be the best add-on to buy? I know a couple of them are 1200 points, so they're out, but what do you think is best that is under 800?

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Which ones do you already own? Did you receive the free Shale companion code? If not, that's definitely the one to go for. Otherwise most of them range from pretty ''OK'' to ''just terrible''. Minus Shale, the only other one worth investing towards is Wardens Keep or Leliana's Song.

#3 Posted by N3onThr33 (380 posts) -

I don't own any yet, so any of them are options. 

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -
@N3onThr33:  
In that case, definitely Shale. Is integrated perfectly into the story and is deservedly one of the most popular companions of the game. I think she's also 800 points, if not a little cheaper, though I'm not entirely certain.
#5 Edited by Crono11 (1635 posts) -

Shale is $15. But if you bought the game new then it was included. 

#6 Posted by Chop (1992 posts) -

Shale is 1200.  

Go with Warden's Keep. 

#7 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I got the Ultimate Edition for PC which has all the DLC two weeks ago. 

So far none of the DLC parts are actually compelling (Haven't played Awakening yet since I'm still in the process of beating DAO).  

Very short, not a lot of story, and the rewards are weak (I expected a full castle in Warden's Keep, not just hanging around outside. BG2 just straight up gave you a castle early on and had a bunch of micro-manageable features). 

#8 Posted by durog (219 posts) -

I really like Warden's Keep

#9 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -
@Chop said:
" Shale is 1200.   Go with Warden's Keep.  "
BLARG! I always got the pricing between those two mixed up.. well in that case, just keep the points and save up for Shale! She really is miles ahead of virtually all the other DLC.
#10 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

I heard Leliana's Song Is really good but, if you don't have Shale it might be worth spending another 400 points, she is really awesome. If you can be Awakening online you might also want to spend a little more and get it.

#11 Posted by QueenNadine (28 posts) -

I really liked Return to Ostagar for the closure it gives to that sub-plot.
Awakenings isn't bad at all, although it'll probably exceed your budget as hinted above (I'm on PS3 so not sure about Live points).
Haven't gotten Shale myself, might do that sometime.

#12 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -
@N3onThr33: Warden's Keep and Stone Prisoner were pretty good. Warden's Keep is a longer quest line, and offers the party chest (not available otherwise). Stone Prisoner gives you an additional character, though the actual quest is a bit short. Darkspawn Chronicles was terrible. It seemed like a great idea, but I found it more frustrating than fun. I did play it before beating Origins, and that may have affected my enjoyment, since it is an alternate version of the final battle. I have yet to play through the other three (Witch Hunt, Leliana's Song, and Golems of Amgarrak), but I've heard good things about Witch Hunt. Also, I know it's out of your budget, but Awakening is definitely worth picking up when you do have the cash. I would've actually recommended just picking up the ultimate edition of DA:O since you get everything for not much more than Awakening on it's own. I actually ended up getting the ultimate edition on PC even though I already owned Origins, and the first three DLC packs. It was only $10 more than Awakening on Steam, so I figured it was worth it to get the remaining three DLC packs for a discounted price.
#13 Posted by Deadmeat (94 posts) -
@cinemandrew said:
" @N3onThr33:  I would've actually recommended just picking up the ultimate edition of DA:O since you get everything for not much more than Awakening on it's own. I actually ended up getting the ultimate edition on PC even though I already owned Origins, and the first three DLC packs. It was only $10 more than Awakening on Steam, so I figured it was worth it to get the remaining three DLC packs for a discounted price. "

Great advice!

If you don't do that and are not in a rush I know I saw the DLC super cheap before DA:2 came out, maybe they will bring it on sale sometime soon. $15/$10 seems a lot to pay for some of that stuff. Warden Keep I just did but wouldn't pay $10 for it personally.

Your best bet might be sell your copy on half.com or ebay, then pick up the ultimate edition, I got mine new for $40 and it includes awakening which I havn't played but heard is pretty long in itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.