Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

which platform pc or ps3

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By J_Weezy

ok i no this question has been posted already but i couldnt find the answer i was lookin for, i preordered the ps3 version but i have been contimplating switching it to the pc version cuz my pc can definately run it. my reasons for getting the ps3 version would be 1 its my preferred platform 2 the trophys 3 from what ive read online it makes the game feel like more of an "action rpg"  which i like.  the only reason i can think of to not get the ps3 version would be the interface because i really dont care about mods at all. so basicly what im asking is am i missing some reasons to get it on the pc? thx
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By nrain

PC, it seems like the game is built for it.

ThisIsTheEnd89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThisIsTheEnd89

PC

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By J_Weezy

thx for the responses any reasons other than the interface?
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By spacetrucking
    @J_Weezy: Cmon man, you should know no from know now.  :)
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
    @J_Weezy said:
    " thx for the responses any reasons other than the interface? "
    Better graphics if you have a good enough computer.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By captain_clayman

L  

R

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Nate

Sounds like the controls will be slicker on PC - less menus to navigate through. Maybe I'm wrong? 

Also, the PC version will let you play it as more of an action RPG too if you want - it just gives you more options (in terms of view, and controls) 

Still - my PC won't run it so I'm going for the 360 version. 

Oh, and like CL60 said - the graphics do look significantly better on PC from what I've seen so far.

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By J_Weezy

thx for all the respones guys i just mite have to switch my preorder :]

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

P
    L
    A
    Y

S
    T
    A
    T
     I 
    O
    N

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60

Oh, and mods.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Brunchies

PC, the game is a spiritual successor to Baulders gate so it, like Baulder's gate, is built for the PC.

J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By J_Weezy

just wanna make sure my pc can run it first here are the specs 

Processor - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 
    RAM - 2.00 GB 
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeoForce 8500 GT  
    Operating System - Windows Vista 
    Free Space - 289 GB total 
    Comp Score - 5.0
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno
    @J_Weezy: That's a bit on the low side, but it should still be able to run it with moderate-high settings. You might want to consider adding 2 more GB of ram though, or else you'll get inconsistent performance. Or if you can't do that just get it on PS3, there will be graphically little difference at those settings. 
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Lowbrow

Peecee.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

PC without question.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#17  Edited By citizenkane

Definitely PC.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ubiquitous

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH silly question. PC of course. Controls better, better quality graphics, better interface, and last but not least... YOU CAN ZOOM OUT AND PLAY IT LIKE RPGS OF OLD. Anyway, yeah I think the PC version is DEFINATLY the way to go.
    J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By J_Weezy

thx for all the replys everyone i really appreciate it :] 
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By jimbo_n

I think most people say PC because of the history of BioWare and the Baldurs Gate series. The fact of the matter is tho that I by far prefer playing on my console rather than my PC in 2009 and from what I´ve seen, read and heard the console versions of this game are excellent. 
    If you arent so very deeply rooted in CRPG´s from the early 00´s that you cant live without the overhead view I would recommend going for a console version of the game. 
    They´ve worked alot to make them feel smooth on a controller and you get both your couch and achievements / trophies. 
    Sure the PC version will look better if you have a new gaming PC but when it all comes down to it its really only RPG "pride" that drives most people towards the PC version. 
    "I played Baldurs Gate on my PC so obviously I will play the spiritual successor on the PC aswell". Its a short sighted argument even tho I cant blame anyone for reasoning that way. I am one of those people for sure but I´ve still decided to go for the 360 version because man, playing in front of a PC instead of a TV really belongs in an age past unless you are playing a PC exclusive game or an RTS. 
    We are living in a console focused time right now and since it seems to work so well on a PS3 or 360 and the fact that you dont really care about the modding community I say skip the "PC RPG pride" arguments completely for this one.
    J_Weezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By J_Weezy

i do very much prefer playing my console over pc even tho WOW did consume me for a while i must admit, so i think im just gonna stick with my preorder of the ps3 version thanks again everyone for all the replys u were alot of help, now all i have to do is bide my time till november 3rd lol
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dizzyhippos

If your computer can handel it PC, 10$ cheaper, and the mod community

CriPPleR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CriPPleR
    @Jimbo_N said:

" I think most people say PC because of the history of BioWare and the Baldurs Gate series. The fact of the matter is tho that I by far prefer playing on my console rather than my PC in 2009 and from what I´ve seen, read and heard the console versions of this game are excellent. If you arent so very deeply rooted in CRPG´s from the early 00´s that you cant live without the overhead view I would recommend going for a console version of the game. They´ve worked alot to make them feel smooth on a controller and you get both your couch and achievements / trophies. Sure the PC version will look better if you have a new gaming PC but when it all comes down to it its really only RPG "pride" that drives most people towards the PC version. "I played Baldurs Gate on my PC so obviously I will play the spiritual successor on the PC aswell". Its a short sighted argument even tho I cant blame anyone for reasoning that way. I am one of those people for sure but I´ve still decided to go for the 360 version because man, playing in front of a PC instead of a TV really belongs in an age past unless you are playing a PC exclusive game or an RTS. We are living in a console focused time right now and since it seems to work so well on a PS3 or 360 and the fact that you dont really care about the modding community I say skip the "PC RPG pride" arguments completely for this one. "

Dude it is 2009 and not everyone plays PC games on monitors. I have my PC hooked up to both my 24" monitor through DVI and my 50" HDTV through HDMI at the same time. I use a wireless 360 controller for games that are console centric and a wireless keyboard / mouse for PC centric game like RTS/MMORPG. 

If the OP wants to know which is the best version then the answers is PC hands down; this is regardless if you are playing in a living room on a TV or playing in a bedroom with a monitor. Better controls, Better Graphics, Better FPS and Better Price = better version. Does this mean that the console versions suck? Of course not, just don't kid yourself thinking that the console version will be equal. 

I personal can't wait to play Dragon Age at 1920x1080 with AA and AF at 60 FPS in my gaming room on my HDTV. I won't be able to do that on my 360 or PS3.
    Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slaveg
    @Nate said:
    " Sounds like the controls will be slicker on PC - less menus to navigate through. Maybe I'm wrong?
    Yes, you are. Console controls are near perfect, seriously, feels damn good.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Time_Lord

PC

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gregomasta

PC

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'm getting it on 360 (cause my PC sucks and I don't have a PS3 yet, oh, and I love my 360)

I don't play games on the PC anymore

But I would make an exception for this. It is a true PC game that happens to be coming to consoles as well.

Get PC version bro

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By keyhunter

It seems a lot like KOTOR in a fantasy setting to me. Which was a console game ported to the PC. Not the other way around.

ftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ftw

Both. Then play the PC version @ 2500x1600 AAx8 AFx16 everthing max, then compare it to the ps3 version.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

Its a PC game ported to the console, not the other way around this time, actually.

Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Slaveg

On a console it plays exactly like FFXII.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Manatassi

Gotta say if you have a decent rig then PC is the way to go. Obviously if you don't then go with PS3. It really depends on how good your PC setup is.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jimbo_n
    @CriPPleR said:

"@Jimbo_N said:

" I think most people say PC because of the history of BioWare and the Baldurs Gate series. The fact of the matter is tho that I by far prefer playing on my console rather than my PC in 2009 and from what I´ve seen, read and heard the console versions of this game are excellent. If you arent so very deeply rooted in CRPG´s from the early 00´s that you cant live without the overhead view I would recommend going for a console version of the game. They´ve worked alot to make them feel smooth on a controller and you get both your couch and achievements / trophies. Sure the PC version will look better if you have a new gaming PC but when it all comes down to it its really only RPG "pride" that drives most people towards the PC version. "I played Baldurs Gate on my PC so obviously I will play the spiritual successor on the PC aswell". Its a short sighted argument even tho I cant blame anyone for reasoning that way. I am one of those people for sure but I´ve still decided to go for the 360 version because man, playing in front of a PC instead of a TV really belongs in an age past unless you are playing a PC exclusive game or an RTS. We are living in a console focused time right now and since it seems to work so well on a PS3 or 360 and the fact that you dont really care about the modding community I say skip the "PC RPG pride" arguments completely for this one. "

Dude it is 2009 and not everyone plays PC games on monitors. I have my PC hooked up to both my 24" monitor through DVI and my 50" HDTV through HDMI at the same time. I use a wireless 360 controller for games that are console centric and a wireless keyboard / mouse for PC centric game like RTS/MMORPG.   If the OP wants to know which is the best version then the answers is PC hands down; this is regardless if you are playing in a living room on a TV or playing in a bedroom with a monitor. Better controls, Better Graphics, Better FPS and Better Price = better version. Does this mean that the console versions suck? Of course not, just don't kid yourself thinking that the console version will be equal.    I personal can't wait to play Dragon Age at 1920x1080 with AA and AF at 60 FPS in my gaming room on my HDTV. I won't be able to do that on my 360 or PS3. "

You seem to forget that we are taking into consideration the facts the OP has given us. He do not have his PC hooked up to a TV (as far as we know) and its really not good enough to play it at the settings you describe. He do not care about the mod community and he prefers to play games on a console. This thread was not created to ask what you are going to play, its asking what he should play. And frankly I think PC gamers like you are in a big minority. I might totally be wrong on this one but I´m going to guess that most people do not have a super powerful PC hooked up in their "gaming room" to a sweet ass television.  
    I am going to agree that the way you are going to play the game are probably by far the best way to do it, but I am pretty sure thats not the way most of us will enjoy this one.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By endaround

PC if you can run it is the answer and has been from the start.   One big issue is that the console versions seem to be much, much easier.  The first boss battle was a breeze on the console from what I've seen while it destroyed most teamr in the Warden's Quest event (ie people who were prepared for the game and knew to expect it)

CriPPleR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CriPPleR
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " @CriPPleR said:

"@Jimbo_N said:

Dude it is 2009 and not everyone plays PC games on monitors. I have my PC hooked up to both my 24" monitor through DVI and my 50" HDTV through HDMI at the same time. I use a wireless 360 controller for games that are console centric and a wireless keyboard / mouse for PC centric game like RTS/MMORPG.   If the OP wants to know which is the best version then the answers is PC hands down; this is regardless if you are playing in a living room on a TV or playing in a bedroom with a monitor. Better controls, Better Graphics, Better FPS and Better Price = better version. Does this mean that the console versions suck? Of course not, just don't kid yourself thinking that the console version will be equal.    I personal can't wait to play Dragon Age at 1920x1080 with AA and AF at 60 FPS in my gaming room on my HDTV. I won't be able to do that on my 360 or PS3. "
    You seem to forget that we are taking into consideration the facts the OP has given us. He do not have his PC hooked up to a TV (as far as we know) and its really not good enough to play it at the settings you describe. He do not care about the mod community and he prefers to play games on a console. This thread was not created to ask what you are going to play, its asking what he should play. And frankly I think PC gamers like you are in a big minority. I might totally be wrong on this one but I´m going to guess that most people do not have a super powerful PC hooked up in their "gaming room" to a sweet ass television.  I am going to agree that the way you are going to play the game are probably by far the best way to do it, but I am pretty sure thats not the way most of us will enjoy this one. "
    I did not mean to come off confrontational that was not my intent. I just would like to bring to light that there are several comunities that are dedicated to PC HT-Gaming (Home Theater)  that cater to players like me. I like going their for my PC gaming news and I come to giant bomb for my console news. I have nothing against consoles I just passed the Monastery level in Uncharted 2 last night and that game is an amazing experience with 7.1 audio.  In the OP situation he should get Dragon Age for whatever system he feels most comfortable playing on. Nothing we say is going to change his mind.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jimbo_n
    @CriPPleR said:
    " @Jimbo_N said:
    " @CriPPleR said:

"@Jimbo_N said:

You seem to forget that we are taking into consideration the facts the OP has given us. He do not have his PC hooked up to a TV (as far as we know) and its really not good enough to play it at the settings you describe. He do not care about the mod community and he prefers to play games on a console. This thread was not created to ask what you are going to play, its asking what he should play. And frankly I think PC gamers like you are in a big minority. I might totally be wrong on this one but I´m going to guess that most people do not have a super powerful PC hooked up in their "gaming room" to a sweet ass television.  I am going to agree that the way you are going to play the game are probably by far the best way to do it, but I am pretty sure thats not the way most of us will enjoy this one. "
    I did not mean to come off confrontational that was not my intent. I just would like to bring to light that there are several comunities that are dedicated to PC HT-Gaming (Home Theater)  that cater to players like me. I like going their for my PC gaming news and I come to giant bomb for my console news. I have nothing against consoles I just passed the Monastery level in Uncharted 2 last night and that game is an amazing experience with 7.1 audio.  In the OP situation he should get Dragon Age for whatever system he feels most comfortable playing on. Nothing we say is going to change his mind. "

No offense taken. Mature arguments are a rarity on forums these days. I´m pretty sure this discussion was a really good thing for the thread itself. Should give both the OP and the viewers insight into the subject. I hereby rest my case.
    grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By grotto

Anyone actually playing in on the PS3 today?  I'm going to gamestop in about an hour and would like to get some impressions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Of course PC, but since I love my PS3 I'll be getting it for that.

Josef_Nastra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Josef_Nastra

Definetly pc for me. Collectors Editon!

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VWGTI

PEECEE FO SHO

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yukoei

PS3 aint bad at all but PC is where its at.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By TomA

PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.