Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Which Version Should I Get?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Hey guys, I'm just wondering whether  I should get the PC or the 360 version.  

In only have a very modest PC at best, my specs are:

1.87 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 gigs of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

I know that the PC version will probably have better gamplay, but do you guys think the cost of graphics is too much? I quite liked Baulder's Gate on the original Xbox, so I definitely don't mind that style of game on a console.   

PurplieNurplie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PurplieNurplie

If you have Mass Effect, get the same version of Dragon Age as your ME, so you get the bonus armor. Otherwise, rent the 360 version and see if you like the controls.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Your computer should run the game fine. Maybe not to an incredible point, but still well. Also note: the Baulder's Gate on the Xbox was a Diablo style hack-and-slash which is very different from the PC Baulder's Gate games.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @PurplieNurplie said:

" If you have , get the same version of Dragon Age as your ME, so you get the bonus armor.

This is not needed. As long as you purchase a new version of Dragon Age - you will get a code for the Blood Dragon Armor - which you can use for ME2 for either version, regardless of what platform you bought DA:O on.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

i would go with PC. it will have much better controls. thats always more important than graphics

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @RollingZeppelin:

I agree with the poster above me. Personally, gameplay > graphics - this kind of game for me is made for keyboard/mouse. But as you said, you are use to BG on console so this may differ for you. Some other things to consider are these following differences that the console version will have compared to the PC.
    -No Tactical Zoom
    -Enemies come in waves, rather then all at once
    -No user mod content
    -No toolkit along with it

Of course, another thing to consider which may be important to the GB audience is that the PC version will not have Xbox Live Achievements to pump up your gamer score. The PC version will have Achievements, but not things that will help any gamer score.
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Cool! 
    Thanks guys, you've given me some good points to mull over in the coming months.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

360, its comes with that armor set... 

wait, doesn' t the pc version have mods, never mind get that.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

PC no question for this game, was gonna be PC from the start, then they decided to do all.

TheTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheTemplar

Anyone seen any trailers / gameplay movies where they play on the xbox? I'm very curious about how they will adapt the controls for console.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeviantJoker

I hear all 6 Origin trailers are up on Xbox Live for viewing, so go download those when you get the time.

Here's some links to videos and a controller scheme, though the vids/information is from the first half of the year so things may have changed since then...

Controller Setup
    Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3

TheTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheTemplar
    @DeviantJoker: thanks! 
    Anubis_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Anubis_Dragoon

I'm torn between getting it on the 360 or PC.  Any advice? 
    I have a 26'' lcd 720p tv for my 360.
    My laptops specs are:   
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz, 1066Mhz, 6M L2 Cache
     4GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm 
     512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
     320G 7200RPM
    15.6'' 1080p screen 
    Any advice?
    I have ME for 360, but If what I'm reading is correct, it doesn't matter what version of DA:O you get, the armor will work in either version of ME2.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Anubis_Dragoon said:

"   I'm torn between getting it on the 360 or PC.  Any advice?  I have a 26'' lcd 720p tv for my 360. My laptops specs are:    Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz, 1066Mhz, 6M L2 Cache  4GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm   512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570  320G 7200RPM 15.6'' 1080p screen  Any advice? I have ME for 360, but If what I'm reading is correct, it doesn't matter what version of DA:O you get, the armor will work in either version of ME2. "

Typically laptop spec's are harder to read - with the same design, I'm told (and I'm no tech. spec guru), it is not equivalent to its desktop counterpart. But, saying this, your laptop spec will gobble up this game quite nicely. I'd at least expect medium playthrough if not more (perhaps kept toned down to medium when hordes of Darkspawn thrash in). This is my, admittedly, assumption. PC, I would recommend whole-heartedly --> Mods, Toolkit, and Tactical Zoom await you!

And you are correct in reading, regardless of what system you get DA:O on, you can receive the Blood Armor on ME2.
    Anubis_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Anubis_Dragoon
    @DeviantJoker: Alright, thanks for the advice!  I think I might go for the PC version then.  I'm having the same debate about L4D2 for pc or 360 as well, but I think this advice will help with that as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.