Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Why OH why is THIS game. SO. BAD?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SpawnMan

I play a lot of console games. I like most of them. I've returned a few. Dragon Age: Origins is the ONLY game I've played for a few hours and could not take playing any more of it. Literally, I threw the controller down in disgust it is that bad. Halo 3: ODST? I hated that game, but I finished the campaign. Assassin's Creed? I managed 4 days before the repetitiveness bore a hole through my brain. But this game? Oh my Lord, I cannot take it any more. Why? Well first off, the graphics look like they belong in a 2nd generation console, or one just starting out in the 3rd generation like Oblivion. The stupid blood spatters, the terrible texture rendering which is flawed even in cut scenes, those stupid decaying bones?! Terrible just terrible. You might say even game-breaking. Then the combat system! I know there is more as a mage than as a warrior, but simply tapping A several times? Seriously? I felt like I was doing my taxes or something. And the quests are just so boring. It's all just so boring. I want my gamerscore before I return the game, but I don't want to die either! And really, if I have to play any more of this game and go through the same boring dialogue again, I WILL hang myself with a noose made of nails which I've pulled out with my teeth which have been pulled out with plier made of burning steel which have also been used to poke my eyes out, thus ending my agony. 

I mean, Mass Effect wasn't the best game - it had a lot of talking and not much action. But it was intricate in its' detail and universe - it had great dialogue and graphics. It compelled you. You could shoot or melee or sprint or take cover or throw grenades or something else. Not just pressing A. No more! No more! Waah...! *dies*

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nasos100

so......... you dont like videogames then. ok
    i think you are on the wrong site

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By swamplord666

Sorry it's not COD?

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ventilaator
    @SpawnMan said:
    "  I mean, Mass Effect wasn't the best game - it had a lot of talking  "
    BAM, arguments ignored.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

I think you're in the wrong hobby buddy.

Ukion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ukion

You may have wanted to seen that it was a RPG, just like Mass Effect was an RPG shooter, that's why there's that much dialogue. It seems though you aren't happy with any genre because you listed the major ones , bar sports...

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Ventilaator said:

" @SpawnMan said:

BAM, arguments ignored. "
    This. 

No Caption Provided
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @SpawnMan said:
    This.

@SpawnMan:
    I hate to break it to you but this is more like the 7th generation, not the 3rd. Dragon Age is all about micro-management, you should be giving all your party members commands and pausing a lot, maybe you should read up a bit more about games before you buy them. Also I have to ask what games do you like?
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shinri
    @SpawnMan said:
    "I WILL hang myself with a noose made of nails which I've pulled out with my teeth which have been pulled out with plier made of burning steel which have also been used to poke my eyes out"

Do it, please.
    MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MonkeyGekko

"  The Spawn Man is a huge game enthusiast and loves many, many games on which he has spent many, many hours playing." This confuses me. Sounds to me, you hate quiet a few games. 

Also what Ventilaator said. Yip

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Semition
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Ventilaator said:
    " @SpawnMan said:
    This. "
    This and 

@Shinri said:
    " @SpawnMan said:
    "I WILL hang myself with a noose made of nails which I've pulled out with my teeth which have been pulled out with plier made of burning steel which have also been used to poke my eyes out"
    Do it, please. "
    This.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ventilaator said:

" @SpawnMan said:

Lol.

Also, bad graphics = game breaking? Wtf?

@SpawnMan

said:

" Well first off, the graphics look like they belong in a 2nd generation console, or one just starting out in the 3rd generation like Oblivion. The stupid blood spatters, the terrible texture rendering which is flawed even in cut scenes, those stupid decaying bones?! Terrible just terrible. You might say even game-breaking. "

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ErrorOperator

Dragon Age is a PC Game, the PC gets even worse ports from the console... Go and play DA:O on a good pc and try and whine about how it looks.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Griddler

It's not, urdoinitrong

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Carlos1408

Hmmm... lol I guess you don't really like RPG's, also there's a lot more to the game than you realize. It's tactical, if you're just pressing the A button you are playing it wrong lol. And obviously the beginning of the game won't be as exciting, it's a slow build up.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Trilogy

I stopped reading about 2 sentences in. You're either trolling or just plain stupid.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Cwaff

I've played through it twice and loved every minute of it... you must be doing something wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MonkeyGekko said:
    " "  The Spawn Man is a huge game enthusiast and loves many, many games on which he has spent many, many hours playing." This confuses me. Sounds to me, you hate quiet a few games.  Also what Ventilaator said. Yip "

@MonkeyGekko: Call him Dark Spawn man. That will increase his suffering.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By DCFGS3
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Ventilaator said:

" @SpawnMan said:

This. 

No Caption Provided
    "
    This, over and over again until he is dead.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@girdz: I think your spelling of "urdoinitrong" can be made into an awesome sci-fi name: Urdo Initrong.
    SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpawnMan

I was prepared for the WOW-fueled troll frenzy which would ensue from my comments - the same I'd witnessed on many other sites towards people criticizing this game - but I decided to say my opinion anyway. I'll try to answer all of your comments methodically - I know you don't much else excitement in your lives but to pounce on anyone else's opinions in a feverish rush when they don't agree with you. 

1) When did I say I didn't like video games or that I disliked a vast portion of them? I think you all need to calm and read my very first line - "  I play a lot of console games. I like most of them." You're telling me that you love every single game every made for all time? Didn't think so. It's basically like the America-complex; if you disagree with them, it doesn't mean you don't like democracy, just like me hating this game doesn't mean I hate gaming. 

2) In regards to my comment which Ventilaator appropriately edited out a portion, what I actually said was "I mean, Mass Effect wasn't the best game - it had a lot of talking and not much action. But it was intricate in its' detail and universe - it had great dialogue and graphics. It compelled you." As in, proportionally, it DID have a lot more talking to action in ratio. I was using it as an example of an RPG by BioWare with a lot of talking in a similar vein which succeeded. But if you want to act like I'm just some COD jarhead who dislikes intellectual gaming to appease your own anxiety over someone disagreeing with you, well okay then. After all, if the person is mentally below-par, their argument is moot right? 

3) "BAM, arguments ignored". BAM, arguments ignored. 

4) Yep, I actually DO read manuals and I actually WAS micro-managing and I actually READ up on the game before I bought it. Nowhere did anyone mention the majority of problems I've listed - this site even gave it 5 stars. But yeah, I do like a lot of games! Thanks for asking, you're so nice.  

So yeah, hope it answers your concerns. For more trolling and flaming see below. AND BEGIN!

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shinri
    @SpawnMan said:
    "I was prepared for the WOW-fueled troll frenzy which would ensue from my comments - the same I'd witnessed on many other sites towards people criticizing this game - but I decided to say my opinion anyway. I'll try to answer all of your comments methodically - I know you don't much else excitement in your lives but to pounce on anyone else's opinions in a feverish rush when they don't agree with you.  1) When did I say I didn't like video games or that I disliked a vast portion of them? I think you all need to calm and read my very first line - "  I play a lot of console games. I like most of them." You're telling me that you love every single game every made for all time? Didn't think so. It's basically like the America-complex; if you disagree with them, it doesn't mean you don't like democracy, just like me hating this game doesn't mean I hate gaming.  2) In regards to my comment which Ventilaator appropriately edited out a portion, what I actually said was "I mean, Mass Effect wasn't the best game - it had a lot of talking and not much action. But it was intricate in its' detail and universe - it had great dialogue and graphics. It compelled you." As in, proportionally, it DID have a lot more talking to action in ratio. I was using it as an example of an RPG by BioWare with a lot of talking in a similar vein which succeeded. But if you want to act like I'm just some COD jarhead who dislikes intellectual gaming to appease your own anxiety over someone disagreeing with you, well okay then. After all, if the person is mentally below-par, their argument is moot right?  3) "BAM, arguments ignored". BAM, arguments ignored.  4) Yep, I actually DO read manuals and I actually WAS micro-managing and I actually READ up on the game before I bought it. Nowhere did anyone mention the majority of problems I've listed - this site even gave it 5 stars. But yeah, I do like a lot of games! Thanks for asking, you're so nice.   So yeah, hope it answers your concerns. For more trolling and flaming see below. AND BEGIN! "

I always laugh when they try and make it seem like WE are the trolls. 5/5 would laugh again
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Red12b

Ok guy's just flag and move on, a Mod will take care of this troll shortly.  

Edit, 

Actually, Since his second post, He kind of has a point,  
    Don't jump down people's throats so fast.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah not a great game. Especially if you compared it to its two largest influences.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kyreo

I don't know guys.... I personally REEAAALLLY don't like Dragon Age : Origins so maybe it rubs certain people the wrong way... 

Now mind you I pride myself in being an RPG connoisseur and have enjoyed such masterpieces like KoTOR, Final Fantasy 1-4, Fallout 3, Dark Cloud (seriously this game was fantastic), and several others.  So perhaps he isn't doing it wrong.  

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lowbrow
    @SpawnMan said:
    " I play a lot of console games"
    Yep. Found yer' problem right th'ere.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By mike

I chose the PC version after reading Dave's review and watching the quick looks comparing 360 to PC, and I'm glad I did. This game is amazing and looks incredible.

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Soulreaverm

If you are playing Dragon Age on console, then you are by definition doing it wrong. Also, I can accept your judgement that it is a bad game. 
    If you play Dragon Age on PC and still hate it, then you are a bad person and we cannot be friends.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By Griddler
    @ViciousAnchovy said:
    " @girdz: I think your spelling of "urdoinitrong" can be made into an awesome sci-fi name: Urdo Initrong. "
    I think we should inform Bioware
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
    @MB said:

" I chose the PC version after reading Dave's review and watching the quick looks comparing 360 to PC, and I'm glad I did. This game is amazing and looks incredible.

"

Incredibly blurry.
    xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xionpunk

Dragon Age is awesome. You lose.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mike
    @ryanwho said:

Incredibly blurry. "

See all that fire in the above screenshot? The blur is an effect from the heat. Here's another one.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpawnMan
    @Lowbrow: I agree totally - if it was a PC game, I'd love it! The graphics would be amazing and the story would probably seem more enjoyable as they do on computers. However, I bought it on a console - you can't write a book and give it to a person in Thai and say "You can't see it here buddy, but man, that book is so good in English. Too bad you can't read it though!" The game was made for PC. It's obvious. If you want it to be successful on a console as well, then you have to make it for a console. You can't make it halfway down the middle and expect everyone to be happy. 

I really do love RPGs which is why I was extra disappointed with this one - I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 at the same time for the multiplayer, and this for what I expected to be a great single player experience. Was not to be.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kyreo
    @MB: I wouldn't say amazing graphics.  Good for sure, arguably great, but not... amazing.  at least in my opinion.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By emkeighcameron

OH

THIS

SO.

BAD?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mike
    @SpawnMan:  Did you happen to watch both Quick Looks? If you didn't, it would have saved you some trouble. I actually waited until building myself a gaming PC to get DA:O because the 360 version looked like a nightmare.
    SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpawnMan

@MB: But I'm guessing those screenshots are from the PC version right? Well imagine that and then pixelate the background, make the characters look like they're from Atari days and because I don't have an HDTV, make it all several times smaller - then you have the console version.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

Play the PC version and you'll understand why many people love that game. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldschool

Everyone has a right to an opinion, even if it is a strong one.  I thought he constructed his arguments very well.  No need for for the hate.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By guiseppe

Ok so you don't like RPGs or good games. Play not so good non-RPGs and be happy? :)

Edit: After reading more, you actually have some points. Personally though, I really like it despite playing it on a console. Graphics never bothered me, as I still think it looks great, even on a console. Then again, I care more about the artistic side of the graphics rather than the technical. About the only thing I miss by not playing it on a PC is better controls and layout.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Liminality

I kind of liked it but I agree, is a bad game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

BREAKING NEWS:
    Traditional western RPG has too much dialogue and does not prioritize graphics!

PS: If you find combat too boring turn up the difficulty until you find you have to use all abilities of your party during tough fights.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpawnMan

Well at the very least I think the PC version would clear up some of that graphic problem, and probably the combat system too - the micro-managing in the console version is just plain distracting from an already boring play. And then the feeling of doing all that for a fight which you press the same buttons over and over again is just underwhelming. I'd have actually liked it if there was a lot more talking - IF it was done correctly. Take Mass Effect for example, it had a dialogue wheel and the character spoke your choices - it worked well and made you a part of the game, like a movie. DAO stops short, again going back to earlier RPGs on the console and PC. I'd have expected more from BioWare - I have a few of their games such as Jade Empire, BioShock and Mass Effect, and they all worked pretty seamlessly in regards to fighting, graphics and speech.

And another beef I have with the game is the voice options (admittedly I've only gone in-depth with the human characters), but it seems that the only male voices are annoying english-like ones. I want some masculine, brooding voices, not *High pitched voice* No, that is not the right way, this is *End high pitched voice*. The NPC characters DO have good voice acting, even if the plot they are telling isn't the best.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Patriarch

I agree on some of your points, mainly the gameplay issues of the console versions, but I find it hard to feel sorry for you when everything about this game made it so clear that it is best suited for PC - a fact that has been made clear in both reviews and video footage.

MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MonkeyGekko

I don't think its right to say the game is bad. You argue that you don't like the game because you chose the wrong version and don't have a HD TV. You should have said your experience with the game was bad and not the game itself.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I have it on PS3. I enjoy the game A LOT. However I DO have a HDTV. 

But every game is not for everyone. Move on to a game you do enjoy.

Also it may not be best to compare the people here to " Wow trollers" Since anyone who has even seen the WOW forum might be inclined to just insult you back. (WOW trollers are much worse then anyone on the forums here)

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpawnMan

Then they shouldn't have released it on the console - I'm looking at it from a perspective of that the PC version doesn't exist. In any event, on the PC, the game might not be as bad, but it would still BE bad. The only thing the PC would remedy would be the graphics and possibly the fighting system. The quests would still be boring and un-compelling.   

@The Laughing Man: I suppose I should move on - I need to gripe though since now I have 10 gamerscore on my card and I want to get at least 100 before I return it, only as I said, I don't want to die... ; )   

I won't be commenting any further on this thread. Thanks for the discussion guys! No hard feelings at any of the guys "disagreeing" with me (even if I lol'd) - like I said, everyone has a different opinion and it's just a conversation. Cheers. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lol you are full of fail. You bought a Bioware RPG, eventhough you don't like story and dialogue heavy games.

Seriously, GTFO and STFU

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpawnMan said:
    " Then they shouldn't have released it on the console - I'm looking at it from a perspective of that the PC version doesn't exist. In any event, on the PC, the game might not be as bad, but it would still BE bad. The only thing the PC would remedy would be the graphics and possibly the fighting system. The quests would still be boring and un-compelling.    @The Laughing Man: I suppose I should move on - I need to gripe though since now I have 10 gamerscore on my card and I want to get at least 100 before I return it, only as I said, I don't want to die... ; )    I won't be commenting any further on this thread. Thanks for the discussion guys! No hard feelings at any of the guys "disagreeing" with me (even if I lol'd) - like I said, everyone has a different opinion and it's just a conversation. Cheers.  "
    There are a few easy ones you can do. Like make an item. Stuff like that. Google the achievements. 

And from what I have HEARD. The 360 version seems to not have the same graphics quality as the PS3 version. (Which I have) And it looks great.
    mikmanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By mikmanner

I agree DA:O is a bad game but not for any of the reasons stated by the OP. I think it's bad because of horrific writing, tedious combat, all wrapped up in a really overused style and art reference (lord of the rings anyone) - But then I like Arma 2 lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.