Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

"Witch Hunt" thoughts/review.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

Witch Hunt, the last DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, a game that has scene numerous additions, including a $40 expansion pack. 

Short review:

At the end of it though, I didn't feel like I accomplished much at all. The tasks leading up to the conversation with Morrigan are uninteresting and tiresome. The conversation was very ambiguous, only to give you a surprising option, which still didn't feel like much compared to the rest of the experience.

Full review:

Although, none of those additions took place after the ending of the game, a time when your endgame decisions would have the most impact. One of the biggest decisions was in regards to Morrigan, and her plan, oh, spoilers, her plan to impregnate herself with your seamen to save the world. Or something along those lines. 

But she leaves you to go off adventuring, regardless of what your choice was about her plan. I had always assumed that Morrigan would be a central character that would be addressed in the sequel. However, Dragon Age II is approaching with surprising haste, and doesn't appear to be set out on tying up loose ends from the first game. 

So, that's when Witch Hunt comes along. You will need to start a new game from the main menu, and then import your post-game character. The DLC starts off at Morrigan's pad, which is pretty deserted, asides from an Elven woman who is also looking for her, but for different reasons. You then head off to The Circle to investigate some stuff about Elves and mirrors, which Morrigan is interested in. You search through library records and bookshelves (yes, it is as exciting as it sounds) and meet a Mage guy, who has knowledge about these mirrors, which act as some kind of "link" for something. I'm sure it's all in the codec somewhere, but.. c'mon! 

You fight some people in the basement of the mage tower. The fights are fairly easy on normal. You talk to a statue, and then go off to the deep roads. You search for items in a fairly uninteresting method, fighting things you have fought a hundred times before. You do a summoning thing with blood, and then go off to some dragon rock where you fight dragons, cultists, and a strange stone/electric dragon/thing. 

Then, you find Morrigan, the whole first part of the DLC has led up to this moment. 

The length of the conversation Depends on how pissed off Morrigan is at you, or how many questions you decide to ask her. You can ask about your child, and get ambiguous answers, ask about her plan, and get more ambiguous answers, or ask about whatever, until she says "no more questions".  

Once you start getting more aggressive, she will just tell you that it is all about Flameth, and how bad Flameth is, and how she is probably still alive. Wink. 

So, just when you think the conversation couldn't get any more interesting, she starts to say goodbye and tells you one more thing. (The thing she tells you seems to vary based on what you ask her about). 

Oh, but you get the chance to shank her. I did. I said YES! as soon as I did it, because it was really cool that I could do something besides listen to endless bullshit from Morrigan. So it goes all slo-mo, and emotional music plays, and she falls back through the portal. So, of course, she is probably not dead. 

It was all very anti-climatic, only to suddenly give you the option to "kill" her.  

At the end of it though, I didn't feel like I accomplished much at all. The tasks leading up to the conversation with Morrigan are uninteresting and tiresome. The conversation was very ambiguous, only to give you a surprising option, which still didn't feel like much compared to the rest of the experience. 

2 Stars 

What did you guys think?
    Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I was disappointed in it.  I guess I had built it up in my head that Morrigan was going to be a more prominent feature of the DLC like Liara in Shadow Broker dlc.

The quests and combat leading up to the confrontation are fairly generic fetch quests and even the last conversation is unsatisfying.  I think it would be a so-so intro to actually continuing into the portal and beyond (which would be the actual story) but as is, I can't recommend anyone purchasing it.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ryno9881

I had some fun with it but they didn't really explain anything. You just had a conversation with her that gave no answers. The DLC was just a way for them to say that Morrigan will not be in Dragon Age II.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By armaan8014

I enjoyed going back to the universe until the end. 
    3* other than the end :(

wickedgame69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By wickedgame69

I enjoyed it, but was not sure where I went wrong. I did decide to sleep with her and in my conversations with her it was kinda umm....all over  the place. She talks about me refusing her, but yet she also mentions that my child is alive. So which it is, did I refuse or not?!?!  Or was I supposed to have her in my group when I fought the archdemon?

Meelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Meelis

I finished it yesterday and also hoped it would include a bit more of Morrigan. As I slept with her numerous times during the main story :D I choose to go with her through the portal. It left me feeling good to get some closure.
    Three and a half stars

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mazik765

Cool, I will still probably download this when I have the extra money just for the S Rank.

Oh and it's semen....there were no seamen involved in the creation of Morrigan's baby :P

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB
    @mazik765 said:
    " Cool, I will still probably download this when I have the extra money just for the S Rank.  Oh and it's semen....there were no seamen involved in the creation of Morrigan's baby :P "
    Unless you have her sleep with Loghain. He's... sort of a seaman.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.