Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Xbox 360 vs PC- An Achievement Whore's Dilemma

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By NorthernFredz

So I have just got a new PC and I love it. It's fast, looks great and runs really well. I also love my 360 and am a little bit of an achievement whore coming in at a modest 37000 or thereabouts. This puts me in a dilemma, what platform do I play my games on? For things like Modern Warfare 2 the choice is simple. My friends all play on the 360 so I got it on the 360. I've just seen that Dirt 2 is Steam's weekend deal and at £14.99 it's a steal especially as it has achievements. I could get it for the same price or near enough on the 360 but I want to push my new PC and see how good a game can look so why not get it for the PC (it also has controller support so I won't know the difference) 

There are, however, a few games I am unsure about. Most recently these have been Borderlands and Dragon Age. Both of these games supposedly play better on the PC due to the controls but neither supports achievements on the PC.  I think I will get Borderlands on the 360 because my brother has it but with Dragon Age I am split. It is definitely a game I will get into, which then leads to me sinking 50+ hours in to. But do I put the hours into a less well fit version of the game for the achievements or do I just suck it up, get over my achievement craze, and play it like it was supposed to be played?

I know for PC gamers this will be a no-brainer but to anyone who has been in a similar boat to me with regards to their own achievement addiction, let me know.

I could make the argument that if the game is so good I will eventually play it on both, but, if I playing it on the PC first, I may then not be able to get over the control flaws on the 360 version of the game.

Also for all the people who are dually in love with achievements and Steam deals, check out Killjoy's awesome guide to see what Steam games support achievements. If he's missed any that you know of, add them!

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NorthernFredz

So I have just got a new PC and I love it. It's fast, looks great and runs really well. I also love my 360 and am a little bit of an achievement whore coming in at a modest 37000 or thereabouts. This puts me in a dilemma, what platform do I play my games on? For things like Modern Warfare 2 the choice is simple. My friends all play on the 360 so I got it on the 360. I've just seen that Dirt 2 is Steam's weekend deal and at £14.99 it's a steal especially as it has achievements. I could get it for the same price or near enough on the 360 but I want to push my new PC and see how good a game can look so why not get it for the PC (it also has controller support so I won't know the difference) 

There are, however, a few games I am unsure about. Most recently these have been Borderlands and Dragon Age. Both of these games supposedly play better on the PC due to the controls but neither supports achievements on the PC.  I think I will get Borderlands on the 360 because my brother has it but with Dragon Age I am split. It is definitely a game I will get into, which then leads to me sinking 50+ hours in to. But do I put the hours into a less well fit version of the game for the achievements or do I just suck it up, get over my achievement craze, and play it like it was supposed to be played?

I know for PC gamers this will be a no-brainer but to anyone who has been in a similar boat to me with regards to their own achievement addiction, let me know.

I could make the argument that if the game is so good I will eventually play it on both, but, if I playing it on the PC first, I may then not be able to get over the control flaws on the 360 version of the game.

Also for all the people who are dually in love with achievements and Steam deals, check out Killjoy's awesome guide to see what Steam games support achievements. If he's missed any that you know of, add them!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hunkulese

Both Borderlands and Dragon age have their own set of achievements in game so that might scratch the itch for you.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Time_Lord

Dragon Age is far better on the PC plus you can have mods etc on it.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Modest  37328 points more like it! ; )

I see your dilemma alright. I'm sort of in the same boat as you in a sense. I have my 360, and i actually want to switch to my PC for gaming now. I'm even thinking about selling the 360 and all games to upgrade the graphics card on my PC and stuff!

I don't know if i should switch to PC gaming, or stick with the 360. I'm sort of feeling the PC gaming more because i then have easy access to the Internet and all my games.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Pc version of dragon age is superior, it's not only the controls, the graphics are good, you probally won't be able to play the console version after that considering you have a high rez pc lcd monitor.  

There are achiements for the pc version, however it's more like the game's achievements, there aren't alot of it and to me I don't even care about achievements. I belive a game should stand on it's own two feet without relying on achievments for replay value. I played this game for 75 hours already. Might be a better experience with better controls and graphics.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidiot

Dragon Age PC has an achievement system that updates itself on the Bioware social website. I assume future Bioware PC games will use the same system (Mass Effect 2). It's actually pretty neat as the site records your progress in the singleplayer game, and updates the achievements online.

IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE SOME SORT OF SUPPORT HERE ON GB *COUGH* IT WOULD BE REALLY RAD.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By maxszy

*sigh* The 360 version of Dragon Age is really just fine. If you want to add to your gamerscore just get it on the 360. Its really not bad at all and all this ridiculous "oh its so so superior on the PC" is getting way old. Its fine. Get your achievements and play it on the 360.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Maxszy said:
    " *sigh* The 360 version of Dragon Age is really just fine. If you want to add to your gamerscore just get it on the 360. Its really not bad at all and all this ridiculous "oh its so so superior on the PC" is getting way old. Its fine. Get your achievements and play it on the 360. "
    Have you played it on both? It's clearly massively superior on PC. We're not going to lie and say they are the exact same when somebody asks the question. Because they are not the same..at all.
    Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Maclintok
    @Maxszy said:

" *sigh* The 360 version of Dragon Age is really just fine. If you want to add to your gamerscore just get it on the 360. Its really not bad at all and all this ridiculous "oh its so so superior on the PC" is getting way old. Its fine. Get your achievements and play it on the 360. "

I'll 2nd this.  If 360 achievements are going to be such an issue for the OP, then just go ahead and get that version.  I've only played DA:O on the 360, so I'm ignorant of the PC version and don't know what I'm missing.  I've heard that the devs scaled back the difficulty of the larger battles on the console ports to accommodate the more limited field of view.  On "Hard", the game still puts up a stiff challenge.  The wheel menus are also a pain at first but just like anything else they become second nature after a few hours. 

If you want the mods and the toolkit then PC all the way, naturally
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mm665

I never understood achievements whores - what are you people trying to prove and to whom? Cant you just play games for nice experience?
    I would recommend you PC version because it is better.  

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NorthernFredz
    @mm665 said:
    " I never understood achievements whores - what are you people trying to prove and to whom? Cant you just play games for nice experience? I would recommend you PC version because it is better.   "

My love of achievements isn't because I'm trying to prove anything. If this was the case, everytime someone on Modern Warfare or whatever annoyed me I would bring up his gamerscore and, upon seeing mine was more than his, use it as an insult. Instead I only really check the gamerscore of my friends. It's a good way of seeing what they have done in a game and to what level they have completed it compared to me. Also, it sometimes forces you to play in differnet ways. The best example I can think of is the Orange Box achievement " Zombie Chopper" which I got for getting through Ravenholm using only a gravity gun. I would probably have never attempted this because it would never have crossed my mind but  I saw the achievment and thought why not. The developer was able to get me to do something differnet and enhance my gameplay experience because of it. 

Also there are some ridiculously hard achievements out there and, if you are committed to one of these games, can be an excellent showcase of your love of it. The best example I can think off the top of my head is " 7 Day Survivor" from Dead Rising. Anyone who has 1000g on that game or even has that achievement deserves at least the little sense of accomplishment that comes from achievments.

Finally I would also like to point out that I do play many games without achievements. At the moment I'm playing through Indigeo Prophecy and loving it. It's just that given the choice, I would prefer a game with achievements built in. Although, in this case, you guys seem to have convinced me otherwise and I think I'll pick up Dragon Age for the PC. Thanks.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maxszy
    @CL60 said:
    " @Maxszy said:
    Have you played it on both? It's clearly massively superior on PC. We're not going to lie and say they are the exact same when somebody asks the question. Because they are not the same..at all. "
    I didn't say it was the same, I just said its not so "vastly superior" than the 360 version. Which I firmly I believe. Yes I have played it on the PC as well. Granted, not on a PC that can let it go a full blast, but that shouldn't matter. How many people actually have full blown PCs beside die hard PC gamers?

All I am saying is that achievements are big part of his though, Dragon Age on the 360 is not that much "worse" than on the PC. The 360 is the version I've been playing on with my character (PC version I played was at a friends) and have been having a great time. I don't think I am really losing much by not playing it on the PC. But then I am not a *really* picky person when it comes to my games.
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mm665
    @NorthernFredz said:
    " @mm665 said:
    " I never understood achievements whores - what are you people trying to prove and to whom? Cant you just play games for nice experience? I would recommend you PC version because it is better.   "

My love of achievements isn't because I'm trying to prove anything. If this was the case, everytime someone on Modern Warfare or whatever annoyed me I would bring up his gamerscore and, upon seeing mine was more than his, use it as an insult. Instead I only really check the gamerscore of my friends. It's a good way of seeing what they have done in a game and to what level they have completed it compared to me. Also, it sometimes forces you to play in differnet ways. The best example I can think of is the Orange Box achievement " Zombie Chopper" which I got for getting through Ravenholm using only a gravity gun. I would probably have never attempted this because it would never have crossed my mind but  I saw the achievment and thought why not. The developer was able to get me to do something differnet and enhance my gameplay experience because of it. 

Also there are some ridiculously hard achievements out there and, if you are committed to one of these games, can be an excellent showcase of your love of it. The best example I can think off the top of my head is " 7 Day Survivor" from Dead Rising. Anyone who has 1000g on that game or even has that achievement deserves at least the little sense of accomplishment that comes from achievments.  Finally I would also like to point out that I do play many games without achievements. At the moment I'm playing through Indigeo Prophecy and loving it. It's just that given the choice, I would prefer a game with achievements built in. Although, in this case, you guys seem to have convinced me otherwise and I think I'll pick up Dragon Age for the PC. Thanks. "
    Well whatever suits you is fine.I was only wondering because i don't own any current gen console and don't get obsession with achievements ,not jugging.
    NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NorthernFredz
    @mm665: Sorry if I came off as having a go or anything. Not my intention. I know for someone on the outside achievements seem ridiculous but if you get into them they can be a lot of fun. If you don't own a next gen console see if the Steam achievements do anything for you. They haven't really grabbed hold of me but then again I'm fairly heavily invested in the 360.

Check out this video posted on Kotaku to get an insight into the addictive qualities of them.

http://kotaku.com/5448651/gamerscore-for-corporate-achievement-whores
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@PeasForFees said:

" @NorthernFredz: No amount of achievements can justify the 360 degrade in quality, but If your computer can't run it the 360 version will do. THink low-medium with a bad framerate, but you can live with it. "

What he said. If you can go PC, go PC. You'll also have access to community generated content... eventually.

Avatar image for burnin_squirrrl
    burnin_squirrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By burnin_squirrrl

I'm in the same dilemma.  I love achievements but have a PC that could play this at max settings just fine.  I might just wait until it becomes a Steam deal and pick it up since it's only single player and it's going to take up weeks, if not months of my life.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rebirth1337

Well I also wanted Dragon Age on the PC. But a friend of my was going to sell his copy to GameStop so I bought it for what our GameStop would buy it for ($20). It all comes down to  if you want better graphics and no achievements. Some will say controls are better on PC but I hated the way Never Winter Nights 2 played so I don't feel the same. IMO the Graphics are still pretty good. It has solid Frame Rate and you get your achievements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.