Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Your thoughts on the DLC for this game

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By YoThatLimp

I'm pretty disappointed on the system they are using. I don't want to be nickle and dimed on 30-45 minute DLC. i wish they were going with the fallout 3 mindset and just release bigger DLC pieces every few months

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By essaregee

Yes, DLC is pretty crappy. I wish they included the damned things from the start - or as you are saying had 'periodic' releases of major DLC, like a new main quest branch.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vorbis

Only problem is that it's too small. 5-8 hours worth of DLC would be lovely, even if we have to wait a few months inbetween.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Definitely not impressed..  A step up from Mass Effect, but that's not saying much. 

The two downloadable quests thus far have been OK, and the new one seems pretty good too, but in the end it's just too expensive for what you get.  I'd much rather see them taking the time to develop full expansions, or something at least on the scale of Oblivion's Knights of the Nine.  I'm really not going to pay $10 for 30 minutes of content.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Cerza

The current DLC is disappointing, but at least it's better than what we got for Mass Effect. Hopefully it will improve in the future though, because if it doesn't I can see many of the free player made mods being significantly better than the official DLC, which we will have to pay for.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By MildMolasses

If Stone prisoner had not been free with the game, then I would be outraged at being charged $15 for it. I can only imagine how small that $7 quest is
    ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ThePencil

DLC seems okay, I enjoyed the Stone Prisoner at least. Im wondering how much they're actually going to put out for DA:O, as it seems that within a few months of its release It's already got a good few bits of DLC. Im personally hoping for more quests and charecters. New items and weapons are pretty meaningless to me.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Vigilance

Well, we really only have one DLC so far, so it's way too early to judge I think. 

And no, I don't count Stone Prisoner as DLC.  

Stone Prisoner has two purposes: to encourage you to buy the game new (or reward you for doing so) and to get you to set up an account so when it come times to pay for DLC, you only have the credit card part left. 

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By skrutop

I haven't picked up the DLC, but I do like how they've integrated it into the game via NPC conversations.  In a way it feels like an underhanded way to get you to buy it, but it's a pretty smart idea.

biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By biggblack86

mass effect didnt get the support that it needed, and im sure DAO wont as well. all the lil bitty items and bullshit DLC characters we are getting arent cutting it man. i want a decently sized quest tree, with new gear, new party members, new localess, all that good shit.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallen189

It's a 50+ hour game with hundreds of different choices and playthrough styles.

You're really grabbing at straws

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

They're far, far to short for me to actually think about wanting to buy more, the only reason I got Warden's Keep was due to the extra storage.
    Other than that basing it on the Stone Prisoner, I knew I wasn't missing much.

For the type of game it is, it doesn't seem like it should be difficult to come up with ideas for DLC either.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MrOldboy

What is annoying to me is that the DLC quest is always displayed on my Quest log. A minor annoyance, but I dont want to be advertised for something I dont want. If I wanted it I would have paid for it already. I paid for the game, I shouldn;t have to be advertised more DLC from within the game. I fine with an email newsletter or an add on the main menu, but not within the game. Is it possible to delete that quest or just have it not displayed?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gike987
    @MrOldboy said:
    " What is annoying to me is that the DLC quest is always displayed on my Quest log. A minor annoyance, but I dont want to be advertised for something I dont want. If I wanted it I would have paid for it already. I paid for the game, I shouldn;t have to be advertised more DLC from within the game. I fine with an email newsletter or an add on the main menu, but not within the game. Is it possible to delete that quest or just have it not displayed? "
    I think there is a mod that remove the DLC guy. It's on dragonagenexus i think.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrOldboy

I'm on 360 so i am stuck. Why does everyone assume people are playing this on the PC. Probably the majority of players on on 360.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If I have to get it to get my S-rank then get it I must...

Avatar image for tragicallyerock
    TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TragicallyErock

I like the unique way they implemented the DLC.
    I really liked the Stone Prisoner DLC. It came free with my copy & I didn't even know about it until I opened the case. It was a very nice bonus. Shale is one of my favorite characters in the game.

However, I am very annoyed by the Warden's Keep DLC being pushed by the guy in your camp. At first I thought it was a very novel idea to have an actual in game NPC to tell you the story about what DLC mission is all about. I actually considered buying it, but had far too many missions on the go at the time. I anticipated that I would come back to it eventually, but after a few times coming back to camp & seeing the mission icon staring me in the face it has become very annoying.  To me, this is the gaming equivalent of a pop-up ad flashing up every single time you open your web-browser.

I think I wouldn't have a problem with it if the NPC were in a remote location where you only see it if you make a specific effort to go there. The fact that it's right in your face in the most visited area in the game, really turns me off.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @Fallen189:
    Sorry that doesn't really cut it. They have one DLC item that is $7 and offers ~30 minutes of content and a storage container, they have another announced piece at $5 which they said will be an hour but that means ~30 minutes. I apreciate that they are guranteeing 2 years of DLC content for it, but I would prer to get a huge piece for $15 every couple of months than a $5 piece every month that gives me little to no content. 

I still can't see how anyone can spend 50 hours in this game, even after reading every codec and trying to find everything I've only come out to maybe 35 hours. There isn't hundreds of choices. it boils down to six origins stories ( about an hour a piece) then the main story which contains 5 or 6 choices to support one side or the other, which 3 or 4 different possible endings depending on your choices at the landsmeet. I love the game but it does have its flaws, I just get irritated when people exagerate the number of choices in this game.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cstrang
    @MildMolasses said:
    " If Stone prisoner had not been free with the game, then I would be outraged at being charged $15 for it. I can only imagine how small that $7 quest is "
    This.  And I know how long that $7 DLC is.  It's like 20 minutes.  I played it over Thanksgiving.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AndrewB

DLC is probably the worst I've seen in a game, to date. The pre-order "deals" were a fiasco, and all for items that should either have been included in the game, or non-existent entirely. Characters in the game begging for your money in exchange for DLC made me laugh out loud, and metaphorically vomit in my mouth a little.

The actual game, though, is great.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
    @Cerza said:
    " The current DLC is disappointing, but at least it's better than what we got for Mass Effect. Hopefully it will improve in the future though, because if it doesn't I can see many of the free player made mods being significantly better than the official DLC, which we will have to pay for. "
    Pretty much that. At least the stone prisoner was free. I have no problem with DLC but it would seem Bioware are still having trouble grasping the difference between good DLC to bad DLC. Bethesda learned it pretty damn quick and look at the success they had, remember just how awful the first DLCs for Oblivion were?  I would much rather have a significant DLC with about 4-5 of gameplay every 6-8 months or so then having them trickle me DLC every other month. 
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vigilance
    @Metalideth: There's also Chanters board quests (3-4 per major settlement), Mages Collective Quests, the Blackstone Irregulars quests, and the companion quests. There are also some non-quest puzzles that can deliver really good loot. 

If you do even a smattering of this side content, the game's length is well over 50 hours. 
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sickVisionz

I don't know... the Stone Prisoner gave you a totally new character with his own unique moveset, fully voiced and he interacts with other party members as you travel around.   DLC like that is enough to get me to replay the whole game again to see what that character plays like and integrate their moveset into my play style... that's like 50+ hours.  I find more value in that then the Fallout 3 thing where you get a 3 hour mission.

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Madyew

I'm hoping they do something like Oblivion did and release a full expansion pack. If not, I hope they just start working on the inevitable sequel.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vigilance

Yeah, I don't really think a few DLCs like Warden's Keep will be bad, but what I'd really like to see is new playable characters and new companions I think, along with new quests of course. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I thought the actual quests that come with Stone Prisoner weren't worth the money, had I not gotten it free, but I definitely think Shale is.

I'm sure that Stone Prisoner was already in the original game and they turned it into DLC to try and stop some Used sales, but I think I would pay $15 for ANY new character. Especially if they were as well integrated into the experience as Shale or any other member of the cast was. Except maybe Wrex and Sten.

But yeah, the game is so character centric that it seems like a fair price when considering how much variety it can add on subsequent playthroughs. While I haven't picked up the other DLC yet, it seems they've added some cool things like a bank and new skills that make it an attractive package as well.

While I'd like to see some longer quests implimented in DLC, I think I would be fine with any new stuff as long as it incorporates some new elements into the rest of the game as opposed to a single quest line.

I would not pay for Stone Prisoner or Warden's Keep if they were only quests, and I think that speaks volumes about BioWare's strengths and weakness. Which, the game already does, but this is perhaps in a different light no?

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Teran
    @biggblack86 said:

" mass effect didnt get the support that it needed, and im sure DAO wont as well. all the lil bitty items and bullshit DLC characters we are getting arent cutting it man. i want a decently sized quest tree, with new gear, new party members, new localess, all that good shit. "

That sounds more like an expansion pack, not a dlc.  I do agree with you though, it would be nice :) 

@MildMolasses said: 

" If Stone prisoner had not been free with the game, then I would be outraged at being charged $15 for it. I can only imagine how small that $7 quest is "

The high price is the whole point because it is sort of making buying the game new the more appealing option until used prices drop below $45 for the console versions. 

@Metalideth said: 

I still can't see how anyone can spend 50 hours in this game...

My first play through was just over 100 hours.  According to my stats I have only explored 94% of the game.  I was in no hurry to beat the game so I took the time to do a lot of optional stuff... I have nearly every codex entry, I have every character at maxed approval... I could have gone faster but why hurry?
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Teran:
    I understand completely why they have it set up the way it is, however the buying it new argument only works until April 30, 2010. After that, those download codes don't work anymore. If I bought a new version of the game on May 1 of next year, and was so into the game that I decided to get some more through the dlc, I would be super pissed that $15 got me 2 quests. I realise that Shale will stay will you for the game, but that is not worth 25% of the total cost of the game at retail.  

If every new copy of the game came with that code for as long as the game is in print to encourage people to buy it new, then that would be fine. However, since this is only a limitied time offer, that means they have a ridiculously priced dlc pack available
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By sarahsdad
    @Metalideth said:
    I still can't see how anyone can spend 50 hours in this game, even after reading every codec and trying to find everything I've only come out to maybe 35 hours.
    I may be the abnormal in the people who've responded so far, but I'm having enough fun that I'm probably going to take at least two of my characters close to the end of the story, and do the final with the third. Each one might only be 30-some hrs, but that still adds up. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's obvious that they cut these parts from the finished game. The slots for the "new" codex entries are already there and the whole voicework for both TheStone Prisoner and Warden's Keep was pre-recorded as well. It's says so right there in the credits. Overall, the whole thing comes off as kinda shady.

Still, I am looking forward to Return to Ostagar. Five bucks is steep, but it's more appropriate than the seven Dollars for Warden's Keep, not to mention those ridiculous 15$ for TheStone Prisoner.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vigilance
    @MildMolasses said:
    " @Teran: I understand completely why they have it set up the way it is, however the buying it new argument only works until April 30, 2010. After that, those download codes don't work anymore. If I bought a new version of the game on May 1 of next year, and was so into the game that I decided to get some more through the dlc, I would be super pissed that $15 got me 2 quests. I realise that Shale will stay will you for the game, but that is not worth 25% of the total cost of the game at retail.   If every new copy of the game came with that code for as long as the game is in print to encourage people to buy it new, then that would be fine. However, since this is only a limitied time offer, that means they have a ridiculously priced dlc pack available "
    But who knows what they will do after that? You're assuming they will leave the DLC at $15 forever. 

They made the DLC for Mass Effect free. 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fallen189
    @Metalideth said:
    " @Fallen189: Sorry that doesn't really cut it. They have one DLC item that is $7 and offers ~30 minutes of content and a storage container, they have another announced piece at $5 which they said will be an hour but that means ~30 minutes. I apreciate that they are guranteeing 2 years of DLC content for it, but I would prer to get a huge piece for $15 every couple of months than a $5 piece every month that gives me little to no content.  I still can't see how anyone can spend 50 hours in this game, even after reading every codec and trying to find everything I've only come out to maybe 35 hours. There isn't hundreds of choices. it boils down to six origins stories ( about an hour a piece) then the main story which contains 5 or 6 choices to support one side or the other, which 3 or 4 different possible endings depending on your choices at the landsmeet. I love the game but it does have its flaws, I just get irritated when people exagerate the number of choices in this game. "
    I beat it last night. Previous comment cheerfully rescinded, I came in at around 32 hours, and 1 bar off level 20, so I Can't get the achievement unless I buy the DLC, which is 560 points. Yeah, fuck off, I'm not buying 1000 points for that.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vigilance
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Metalideth said:
    " @Fallen189: Sorry that doesn't really cut it. They have one DLC item that is $7 and offers ~30 minutes of content and a storage container, they have another announced piece at $5 which they said will be an hour but that means ~30 minutes. I apreciate that they are guranteeing 2 years of DLC content for it, but I would prer to get a huge piece for $15 every couple of months than a $5 piece every month that gives me little to no content.  I still can't see how anyone can spend 50 hours in this game, even after reading every codec and trying to find everything I've only come out to maybe 35 hours. There isn't hundreds of choices. it boils down to six origins stories ( about an hour a piece) then the main story which contains 5 or 6 choices to support one side or the other, which 3 or 4 different possible endings depending on your choices at the landsmeet. I love the game but it does have its flaws, I just get irritated when people exagerate the number of choices in this game. "
    I beat it last night. Previous comment cheerfully rescinded, I came in at around 32 hours, and 1 bar off level 20, so I Can't get the achievement unless I buy the DLC, which is 560 points. Yeah, fuck off, I'm not buying 1000 points for that. "
    There's more than enough content in the game to hit level 20 without doing the DLC. Just do some of the Blackstone irregulars quests if the achievement is that important to you. 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fallen189
    @Vigilance said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Metalideth said:
    I beat it last night. Previous comment cheerfully rescinded, I came in at around 32 hours, and 1 bar off level 20, so I Can't get the achievement unless I buy the DLC, which is 560 points. Yeah, fuck off, I'm not buying 1000 points for that. "
    There's more than enough content in the game to hit level 20 without doing the DLC. Just do some of the Blackstone irregulars quests if the achievement is that important to you.  "
    I just wish the clearsave was better really. It's the whole idea that fallout 3 originally had where I have to play an EARLIER character to carry on with things.
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vigilance
    @Fallen189: Yeah, I agree, I definitely wish you could continue playing after you beat the game. 
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By YoThatLimp
    @Vigilance: I kind of do, but then it kind of kills the whole ending ( even though I completely hate the ending) It does suck that You'll have to revert to an old save, or start a new game to take advantage of new DLC.
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lard

Stunts like this are exactly why this gen sucks. 

It's not about making a good game, it's about seeing how much you can bilk the consumer out of their money. 

Shame on Bioware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.