dudacles's Witch Hunt (Xbox 360) review

Witch Hunt's lack of length and depth is disappointing

Dragon Age: Origins was a fantastic game with an enthralling story. However, it couldn't help but leave a few unanswered questions, for better or for worse. One of them was the ultimate fate of Morrigan. Not all is lost, though, as the magic of the internet now allows you to pay for a piece of DLC that might give you the answer. You actually start the downloadable content by choosing to start a New Game in the main menu and picking Witch Hunt, as opposed to the first few pieces like Warden's Keep.

“Witch Hunt” takes place about 2 years after the end of the last game. You start off at Flemeth's Hut with Dog tagging along, as Morrigan has supposedly been spotted in the wilderness near the cabin. Inside, you find an elf called Ariane, who has some beef with the witch due to an important book she she stole from the tribe. You decide to link up and head for the Circle of Magi to find information on this book, and meet the fourth party member there in the form of a snarky human mage called Finn.

Finn's got a sense of humour, at least.

From there, there really isn't anything to the DLC other than some minor dungeon traversal and a largely unsatisfying ending. There are multiple endings, but the one I got was completely unsatisfying despite my romance with Morrigan in the main game. Really, Witch Hunt is little more than a paid teaser for Dragon Age II, if people such as myself have put together the pieces of the sequel's first few trailers and this short adventure properly.

There is some funny dialogue (including a reference to Harry Potter) delivered by Finn and his fellow mage peers and a couple of new weapons to loot, but the measly 90 minutes it took me to finish this small diversion coupled with the 7 euros (560 points) price point makes Witch Hunt a largely unattractive deal. There might turn out to be a small tie-in with the DLC's ending present in Dragon Age II, but that turns this mini-adventure into an even dirtier offer.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins, and many people do so as well. However, I must advise anyone who is looking into extending its tale against paying for Witch Hunt. The whole thing feels like a quick, soulless cash-in that Bioware even used to promote Dragon Age II. Direct your money elsewhere, for there are far better games and pieces of DLC out there to buy. Ignore it completely and you won't miss out on anything worthwhile.