Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 05, 2010

A Korean/Japanese MMORPG set in the Dragon Ball universe. The game starts out on Earth -- 216 years after the conclusion of the comic.

Dragon Ball Online - I'm Impressed

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

I've been out of the Dragon Ball loop for quite a while, though I guess that doesn't really mean much considering that the series has been over for well over a decade.  Regardless, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been "into" the series, but I admit here and now that the thought of a Dragon Ball MMO piqued my interest.  With the beta now technically over in Korea (they're still calling it a beta, but the characters are carrying over to live, and they're launched their microtransaction store), I've been able to sink some time into the game over the last few days.  My verdict so far?  It's a winner. 

And I can't in good conscience tell anyone that this game brings anything new to the table as far as the style of game goes.  It's pretty much your standard WoW-templated online experience.  What's so different about it is the Dragon Ball coat of paint thrown over top of it.  The developers have done an excellent job of capturing the feel of the original Dragon Ball series (not Dragon Ball Z, though it does contain elements from that show/manga).  If I had to compare it to another game out there, it'd be The Lord of the Rings Online.  You get to play in the Dragon Ball universe, and you even get to take part in some of the show's more memorable moments via the Time Travel quests.  One example is that early on you have to carry a sleeping Baby Goku from his crashed space pod to his soon-to-be adoptive human grandfather's home.  There's also an encounter with Raditz that I've yet to actually see for myself, and thanks to his apparent obsession with time traveling, you do run into Trunks during these quests. 

The combat looks a lot like what you're used to, but feels a bit different thanks mostly to its fast pace and distinct visual flare.  Your "auto-attack" doesn't happen once every few seconds, your character instead attacking much more frequently, and your special abilities range from harsh, agile physical attacks to a flurry of energy balls.  At level 16 you'll unlock Goku's signature attack, the Kamehameha wave, something I'm personally looking forward to.  There are some other signature moves hanging out on the skill tree, like Yamucha's Wolf Fang Fist, the Kaioken maneuver, Destructo Disk, Instant Transmission, Solar Flare, Final Flash, and yes, even Super Saiyan. 

The only real problem I've had with the game so far is the weight of the characters.  It seems like a nitpick, but while characters *do* move their legs when they walk, they really more just seem to glide along the landscape.  It's not a huge deal or anything, but it can be a little off-putting if you thinking about it for too long. 

You're going to be accepting quests from Namekians, policeman that look like dogs, Majin Buu's offspring, small indian children, and big, burly dudes that look like Chi Chi's dad.  You pick up capsules and Zeny off the ground when monsters die.  You equip new martial arts clothing, upgrade your scouter, and there's some crafting thrown in there somewhere that I haven't quite gotten to yet. 

As it stands, I'm feeling pretty good about this game.  Now only if it would come out in English so I could interact with the community a little more. 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

In before all the TL;DR

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Feser
    @Kombat said:
    "In before all the TL;DR "

Heh. Don't worry I read it and it was a good read.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrGetBonus

OMG Dragon Ball MMO!? I wanna play this.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the8bitNacho

If anyone has questions where the game's concerned, throw them at me and I'll try to find the answer if I don't have one readily.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Absurd

I loved DBZ so much when I was a kid, I should try this out. (Or maybe I shouldn't)

Edit: Just looked at the screenshots and got hit with nostalgia.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

I duno, I'm still waiting for a competent this gen answer to Budokai 3, 

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By stokes

I take it this is free to play?

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brad_360i
    @Kombat:  I know this is an old thread but I do hope you get this, How exactly do you access the Beta? because I would really like to start playing this game

any information will be appreaciated!!
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Brad_360i said:
    " @Kombat:  I know this is an old thread but I do hope you get this, How exactly do you access the Beta? because I would really like to start playing this game

any information will be appreaciated!!"
    I haven't touched this game in quite some time, but I'm pretty sure the game as launched since I made this thread. There are various ways to go about accessing the game at this time, all of them mostly illegal, so it probably wouldn't be appropriate for me to tell you here. I recommend visiting this website, which consists of the game's English-speaking community. With a little digging, you should be able to find the information you are wanting there.
    Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brad_360i
    @Kombat:  Nope, Still in beta >:(
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Trodorne

What really puts me off the game. is the fact that humans can not transend into their own transformation, but rather have the 6 few remaining sayian bloods that existed in the world 200 years ago apparently mated with every single able bodied woman on the planet allowing all humans the ability to go super sayian. to me that is just pure lazy with the iniability to come up with anything original for a super human. I mean in they could have done something similar but have different aura colors based on the soul of the person like in asian culture, they believe that everyone has a different colored aura based on the type of person you are.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are two different things? I thought it was just an alternate name. *transforms into The Boss, waits for Epic Steve to try CQC on me*

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InertiaticESP
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Wait, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are two different things? I thought it was just an alternate name. *transforms into The Boss, waits for Epic Steve to try CQC on me*
    The manga which the franchise is based on is called Dragon Ball for it's entirety (in Japan, in the States and other places they divide the manga into DB and DBZ). However, in japan, when the TV series were being released, they divided DB and DBZ. I think it had something to do with them being able to start airing DBZ before they got up to that point in the story in the DB manga. DBZ starts with Raditz coming to earth.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @InertiaticESP

I'm still confused, Guy who Bumped a Week Old Thread.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Video_Game_King: *Presses Circle while holding the analog stick towards VGK*
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.