First reviews are up!

#1 Edited by Jeust (10768 posts) -

The first reviews for Raging Blast are up.  

Xbox 360  

For now are from two spanish magazines and websites... 

The bottom line is that the final game has 43 fighters from the DBZ saga. 

The only new content in this department is the inclusion of the imagined and already mentioned Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta and  Super Saiyan 3. 

In another hand it has various game modes:  

• Battle Dragon Collection (history mode)
  • Super Showdown (similar to the Tenkaichi's challenge mode)
  • Versus
  • Xbox Live (or PSN)
  • World Tournament (with the Cell games and Word Tournament modes)
  • Personalization
  • Dojo (training mode)
  • Museum
  • Options (non playable lol)  

The history mode has some suprising confrontations in the what-if scenarios. 

The gameplay is similar to the tenkaichi franchise. 

The graphics are better, but suffer from being somewhat blurred, not really pushing the consoles to its limit.  Some cool and colourful effects.

The camera isn't as stable as in the tenkaichi franchise. 

The characters play similarly, except in their special moves. 

More prominent damaged look after the character takes some beating.  

All and all, this game seems very familiar with Tenkaichi 3, and as Meristation's reviewer says, it's more a slighty updated version of the ps2/wii Tenkaichi series. 

So if you have that, it isn't probably a very crucial buy.   
#2 Posted by Soap (3613 posts) -

If it plays anything like the demo it's probably not worth buying. The camera couldn't even keep focus on me when I was fighting :/

#3 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I think Burst Limit were going the right way with the fighting-they just needed to add a bit more on and maybe make everything a bit more faster-although that would possibly blow someone's mind.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19024 posts) -

FUCK MODERN WARFARE 2!!  I'M GETTING THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

Having played this a decent amount over the past week I have to say it's pretty fun. I only really played the Budokai games and Burst Limit prior to this so maybe that's why I like it so much but I really prefer this style over this others because it feels more like the show. Knockin dudes through objects during the battle and flyin around without being restriced to a 2d plane is sweet. My only real complaint is an obvious one. The camera. For the most part it's fine but when your character gets backed up into a wall and is gettin pounded on, you can't really tell what's goin on. This can get frustrating and just causes you to mash square trying to get out of the corner. Also, some small fps issues when the camera is up close in a corner and you start shootin Ki blasts. Other than that though, I haven't had any major problems. Oh, and SSJ3 Vegeta. Dude, what?

#6 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Hmm.. I like the tenkaichi free fighting style over the classic fighting, but I feel like this is a 2 steps forward, one step back situation...

They tweaked a few things, added a bit of new stuff, but compared to Budokai tenkaichi 3, they drastically reduced character count, and basically just shuffled up the modes again; its the same old stuff in a slightly different way.

Thats what bugs me about these games; they have dynasty warrior syndrome: For each new iteration of the games they feel some crazy need to redesign the characters and change everything, when what they should do is take what they have, and add depth and length to the game. 

Imagine taking Budokai Tenkaichi 3, making the fighting more deep, adding more moves to the characters; while adding depth to differentiate them some more, and maybe. just maybe, make a character creator? That would blow my mind. Add in some decent online modes, ranking, and maybe some character customization, and it would be an amazing game.

#7 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

The real bottom line is that it has a 63.

#8 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Dude fuck Metacritic.

#9 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -

budokai 3 is to this day my favorate DBZ fighting game.
Sparking was okay but Budokai 3 has no peer.

#10 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -

These games are retarded.  Seriously, how many times can you put out another DBZ fighting game?  Every 6 months?  Its all the same shit.  Yeah, the camera seemed better suited for the types of fights they have, but its still a crappy ass fighting game.
First off, DBZ is not meant for fighting games.  Its just feels stupid to fight with one character like GOKU, have him go super saiyan, yet any other character, lets say a useless character like Krillin, and they still have a chance to win.
What they fucking need to do is make a DBZ RPG game.  Thats what the series is really like.  You go on adventures, hope to defeat the evil power, and you get stronger and stronger as you go, leaving behind people once thought to be strong and having to face stronger enemies.  Collect items like dragonballs and ummm... dragonballs again?  Meet new characters, have a group follow you, learn new techniques.  Hell, thats an RPG if I ever saw one.  Not a fighting game.

#11 Edited by Creamypies (4081 posts) -

I can't believe people still care about the Dragon Ball series.

It makes almost as little sense as the popularity of the Dynasty Warriors games.

#12 Posted by Mcfart (1662 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" These games are retarded.  Seriously, how many times can you put out another DBZ fighting game?  Every 6 months?  Its all the same shit.  Yeah, the camera seemed better suited for the types of fights they have, but its still a crappy ass fighting game. First off, DBZ is not meant for fighting games.  Its just feels stupid to fight with one character like GOKU, have him go super saiyan, yet any other character, lets say a useless character like Krillin, and they still have a chance to win. What they fucking need to do is make a DBZ RPG game.  Thats what the series is really like.  You go on adventures, hope to defeat the evil power, and you get stronger and stronger as you go, leaving behind people once thought to be strong and having to face stronger enemies.  Collect items like dragonballs and ummm... dragonballs again?  Meet new characters, have a group follow you, learn new techniques.  Hell, thats an RPG if I ever saw one.  Not a fighting game. "
legacy of goku series.
#13 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -
@Mcfart: Exactly.  I got the first one of those and it makes you wonder how a game on a full console, not the GBA, would turn out.  I suppose its just easier for them to push this stuff out though.
#14 Posted by PhilESkyline (778 posts) -

I've been thinking about getting this as a cool down from MW2. I'll wait for Black Friday when it should be on sale.

#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Only 43 fighters? Didn't one of the earlier games have over 100?

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" Only 43 fighters? Didn't one of the earlier games have over 100? "
No, it had OVER 9 THOUSAND!
#17 Edited by Siris (432 posts) -

This game blows, once upon a time it might have been acceptable. But seriously? Are they just gonna keep pumping out the same exact DBZ game year after year? Stop buying this shit, for the good of everyone.

TheHBK knows what's up at least. I would love to see a real DBZ rpg game, legacy of goku series does not fit the bill AT ALL. If you can't fly in a DBZ game, then whats the point?

#18 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I really like Dragon Ball fighters in general but I can't justify a $60-70 purchase on this one. From the demo it didn't seem all that good anyways.

#19 Posted by LiquidPrince (16027 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
"

Dude fuck Metacritic.

"
That is saying fuck every reviewer, because Metacritic just compiles reviews and averages them...
#20 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: That's like saying "I hate my job" means you hate the hot receptionist that sits 10 feet away.
#21 Posted by LiquidPrince (16027 posts) -
@Red said:
" @LiquidPrince: That's like saying "I hate my job" means you hate the hot receptionist that sits 10 feet away. "
No... Metacritic has no function alone... A job does.
#22 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
Yes. 

I just want to know how these games are still making money. They clearly are because they're being put out every year but man, there's so many goddamn DBZ games.

I never played any Budokai games but out of the Tenkaihchi series I thought BT2 was amazing.
#23 Posted by Jeust (10768 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @AgentJ said:
Yes.   I just want to know how these games are still making money. They clearly are because they're being put out every year but man, there's so many goddamn DBZ games.  I never played any Budokai games but out of the Tenkaihchi series I thought BT2 was amazing. "
It was amazing! 

I loved it too... Best dragon ball game, for me. 

The 100 fighters reference is a bit deceiving, as not even Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had as many fighters as that. The developer counts every transformation as a different fighter, so you end up having 5 or 6 fighters that are all Goku in different transformations. 

Clever isn't it?
#24 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2501 posts) -
@AgentJ: Yeah, it was RIDICULOUS IMO.
#25 Posted by Mcfart (1662 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" @Mcfart: Exactly.  I got the first one of those and it makes you wonder how a game on a full console, not the GBA, would turn out.  I suppose its just easier for them to push this stuff out though. "
Should try the 2nd game. By far the best. The other two just cannot compare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.