Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 23, 2014

Four-player simultaneous fighting game set in the Dragon Ball Z universe.

Why Battle of Z isn't a Fighting Game

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By masterwgs

So this game seems to be getting a lot of flack on the internet for being a bad fighting game, and being another shovel-ware DBZ title.

While the verdict may yet be out on the full game and it's quality, I think the demo makes it clear that this is potentially a lot deeper than a lot of people think. For starters, it's much closer to games like Monster Hunter or Diablo than a fighting game - You work as a team, playing roles like "tank" or "support," to take on opposing teams and, sometimes, giant bosses. Characters have specific strengths and weaknesses, as well as unique abilities that play into their designated job. Kid Gohan, a healer, has the unique ability to revive an ally from anywhere on the map. Krillin, a support character, has an unblockable projectile and a global heal ability. Goku is, well, your typical melee tank - and that's just from the demo. If the entire roster (over 70 characters) manages to maintain this kind of diversity, it may be one of the most varied and deep Dragon Ball games yet.

I'm not here to say this game is perfect, or even great - I can only speak from what I've played from the demo. I'm here to implore you to not dismiss this game because it looks like a clunky fighter. Under its anime beat-'em-up facade, I think there's something really solid here. To try and spread the word on this, my friend Kirran (LordMoonstone) and I have started a series of tutorial videos leading up to the game's US release. Here's our first video, Battle of Z - What is it?

Additional videos:

Menus and Card System Tutorial

ENERGY and Advanced Teamwork

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

So they made a Monster Hunter style game which also has PVP. Seems neat. May check it out on my Vita at some point.

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I do think that demo really did it for me. I have hopes for this game.

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fear is that people will just dismiss this like most DBZ games honestly deserve to be. I'm really hoping that this change-up in style and gameplay will hopefully get some attention from people who have since abandoned the game franchise, and maybe make it appeal to a wider audience.

Also, our next video about the game (a tutorial about the menu and card system) is up, in case you're looking to get a bit more in-depth info.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So weird. I look forward to the Quick Look.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Flappy

There was a point in time where I used to buy just about every DBZ game that hit the market. Budokai series? Got 'em. Tenkaichi series? Got those too. The Legacy of Goku trilogy? Hell yeah! Granted, I was young and dumb when those games came out, but some of them were legitimately good games.

I've been shitting on this game and the series ever since the demo came out, but after watching your video, I kinda want to buy this game (if only for the fact that I already bought OlliOlli).

Edit: No Cross-Buy? And it's a full-price game? Fuck that!

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This actually sounds kinda interesting, I've always thought DBZ would make a more interesting RPG than fighting game, especially if it spanned the whole series. The thing I wanna know is, is this just you pick the guy you fight and then you fight him? Or is there like a campaign/story with exploration, lesser enemies and stuff like that that you see in other RPGs?

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..It's actually not a bad game at all.

I've been enjoying it. It takes a lot of flack, and to be fair? It kinda irritates me that it does. Because it's doing something fun. It's doing something innovative for the DBZ gaming series, and I've been enjoying it.

Play as your favorite DBZ character and team up with friends to take down a boss. It's fun. It's not a master piece, but if you're looking for an enjoyable time with your buddies, or hell, even complete strangers, it's totally worth it.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I must admit, I came in this thread expecting to read another random "DBZ is great, srsly guys" argument, but those systems do show more way more potential than I expected.

Though, it's a full price game, which is probably going to be a death sentence to its sales.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting stuff here nice way to transform a DBZ

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really a shame, because I feel like this game is doing everything it can to ruin itself. The menus are kind of confusing imo, and it's being marketed like it's just another fighter, only now you can have team fights. If Bandai Namco would properly market this, and maybe put a bit of work into making its menus more clear, I think this would have helped immensely.

And yeah, no cross-buy is kind of a bummer. I wasn't really expecting it, but it would have been really nice.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I can't believe we did not get a single DBZ fighting game this gen (last gen?) that was as good as the PS2 games. Anyway I will definitely pick this up eventually but full price for a niche last gen game? This game is going to drop like a rock in price.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still believe the last great Dragon Ball Z game was Budokai tenkaichi 2. I always played the budokai and tenkaichi games with my cousins for hours and had so much fun. This looks very different from those games but I am very interested to try it. I never did like the burst limit or raging blast games or even infinite world. The kinect game was just a terrible game so I am excited for this brand new dbz game.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the addition of this video to the forums, the description for the game is going to need to be changed

Currently: "Four-player simultaneous fighting game set in the Dragon Ball Z universe."

Should-be: "Four-player simultaneous Action-RPG game set in the Dragon Ball Z universe."

Let's completely get rid of this misnomer that it's a fighting game.

BTW, great intro vid to it. :)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mhhh... ok. To be fair, I was ready to rule out the game as another fighting game with DBZ characters. Now I think I should give the demo a chance...

Not that its a must buy. Being yet another game in the DBZ universe has some serious drawbacks (the story, alternatives, what-if, etc... has been told time and time again from every perspective possible). But I guess I should at least judge this one as something that may challenge my expectations.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Apart from some balance issues (super overpowered Gohan) Burst Limit was the best direction I've seen a DBZ game take since the Budokai series.

That said this seems interesting at least.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By xyzygy

woooooow this game sounds great.

So far, it seems like a mix of Dissidia and Monster Hunter.

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

With the addition of this video to the forums, the description for the game is going to need to be changed

Currently: "Four-player simultaneous fighting game set in the Dragon Ball Z universe."

Should-be: "Four-player simultaneous Action-RPG game set in the Dragon Ball Z universe."

Let's completely get rid of this misnomer that it's a fighting game.

BTW, great intro vid to it. :)

That, and it's eight-player simultaneous, since you're fighting as teams of four.

Also thanks, though LordMoonstone did most of the actual work. I just helped provide some footage and insight. I'll be sure to pass your praise along. :D

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Pretty excellent video, kind of makes the case for the whole user generated games coverage. I can barely believe I even listened to 8 minutes of DBZ talk. Used to love the show. Always curious about these games, but barely played them outside of rentals. This one is really... surprising? Kind of blown away actually. Looks like a genius idea for the series, as it was always about groups of fighters (though yes, one always seems to rise to the top). Again, great video.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'll be honest. I had no hopes for this game from the trailers I've seen since TGS last year but after playing the demo, I'm really excited to pick it up tomorrow.

Meta11ica0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant wait i pre ordered it ssj vegito, ssj bardock, naruto goku only available for pre orders

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed this game 1-2 day ago. This is a great concept for a DBZ game and it totally fit. The idea of customizing characters and the different role each one has seem interesting enough.

Shame that I don't have friend intesrested in this kind of game or it would be an instant buy. I'll probably think about it when the times come. Thanks for the video.

Though I'm still wondering what's the use of World Energy on the main screen... that thing has been at 9,999,999,999,9 forever.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally hear what you're saying about in-game transformations. But isn't it at the fault of the developer for not making a system that makes sense for that? That's kind of a massive fucking part of that fiction. In fact, that's kind of the main thing these characters are striving toward in any given episode (the next best form or power). And beside just that, I think it'd be really cool if you had to account for potential character changes mid match. Knowing what your later forms would be, how they would play against your opponents and their later forms, and when to change to use those powers to your advantage during a match would put a level of strategy in this game that you couldn't really get in a typical fighting game.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 58 on Metacritic doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, but I'd be glad to play a quality DBZ game on the Vita

masterwgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that it's a great game - I just think it's worth looking at/appreciating it's not just the same fighting game they've been releasing since Budokai Tenkaichi. I totally enjoy it, but I'm willing to admit I have a big DBZ bias and that may have a lot to do with it. I just think it's really interesting.

Anyway, happy release day - here's another tutorial. This one's about the nitty-gritty of the teamwork/ENERGY system.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty excited for this game when it was announced because it looked awesome. Then I played the demo and it was not what I was expecting. Thought it was going to be some 4v4 deathmatch-whatever-tenchaichi-zaniness. It's not that at all. The game demands teamwork and, honestly, the matches are too crazy to have any more complicated attack commands or combos. I really liked it and bought the full game and have been enjoying it. I've only played single player and online coop, but it doesn't seem like people are really taking advantage of the team dynamic. All I see are melee Gokus and Vegetas. No one's on support or trying to run interference. I've been sticking with normal sword Trunks and I swear that every completed mission is because of me healing the team constantly. Hell, they won't even send some energy my way when I'm running low.

It's a cool game with cool ideas that seem to be flying over the head of your average DBZ fan. Hope that the competitive multi is different.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

They should have just released Zenkai Battle Royale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.