2d budokai

#1 Posted by Riotisonfire (123 posts) -

Anyone else wishing for a new 2d fighting game style Budokai. Budokai 3 was unbelievably amazing. Dimps needs to get back in and make one. Anyone know of possibly a japanese version perhaps?

#2 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -

I want one too.

#3 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (765 posts) -

I've never actually played any of the 2D DBZ fighting games, but I did like the 3D ones. Since I've been playing more fighting games recently (really just SSFIV so far), I'd like to at least give one 2D DBZ fighting game a shot.

#4 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

Yes, Dimps needs to come back and make a Budokai 4--none of this "Tenkaichi" shit.

#5 Edited by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Budokai 3 is without a doubt the best DBZ game ever made. I still play it to this day. Raging Blast and the Tenkaichi series suck in my opinion.

Even Ryan thought so back in the day:

#6 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I want one too.

@RE_Player92: Seeing Ryan look and act so damn positive back then is just crazy to me now.

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -
#8 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -
#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
You mean Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2?
That is a Tenkaichi styled game though and not regular ass budokai.

Exactly. Get that shit outta my face!!!

#11 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
You mean Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2?
That is a Tenkaichi styled game though and not regular ass budokai.

Exactly. Get that shit outta my face!!!

I like Tenkaichi but thats all they been putting out for years so I want something new.

@FluxWaveZ
From what I heard it Burst Limit doesn't go past the Cell saga.  The Buu saga may not have been the best but it did introduce us to fusions and Kid Buu.
#12 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

i miss 2d dbz game.

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

That game is great for a DBZ fighting game. Burst Limit was pretty good too.

#14 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Budokai 3 was an amazing game.  I remember remembering most of the moves for my favourite characters.  I just wish Cooler was in that game...  He was probably my second favourite DB character, right after Vegeta

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (19017 posts) -

I would be hype for a Budokai 3 remake, but sadly that will never happen.

#16 Posted by Hao_Kaiser (31 posts) -

Well, Dimps did make another PS2 game, Infinite World, which added some more characters and stuff on top of the Budokai framework. I haven't played it, but I've heard mixed things (as to whether its better than Budokai 3 or not). And then they got sucked into the Street Fighter IV machine, which I'm assuming is the only reason we haven't seen a Burst Limit 2.

However, from what I've heard, Spike (the development team behind the Budokai Tenkaichi and Raging Blast games) lost their license to the franchise, making Ultimate Tenkaichi their last game. So, the next game could be another awesome 2D fighter, provided that the diminishing returns on these games doesn't discourage Namco Bandai from making more... And that Dimps stops making Street Fighter IV expansions.

#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -
@Hao_Kaiser said:
Well, Dimps did make another PS2 game, Infinite World, which added some more characters and stuff on top of the Budokai framework. I haven't played it, but I've heard mixed things (as to whether its better than Budokai 3 or not). And then they got sucked into the Street Fighter IV machine, which I'm assuming is the only reason we haven't seen a Burst Limit 2.

Infinite World was more like Budokai 2 in terms of how the battles played, I think they even took out the beam collisions. It was also way harder
 The side effect of it being way harder was that I got extremely good at that game. My brother and my friend who both have been playing fighting games competitively by going to tournaments and stuff would be utterly destroyed when they fought against me.
#18 Posted by ichigo6798 (2 posts) -

Ah,the Budokai games,I still play them.But,seriously,I do like the 2D style,it was pretty good.This stuff was reintroduced in Burst Limit,Infinite World,Shin Budokai.I would like for them to go back to that stuff,but I don't think I want them to drop the 3D stuff.It's pretty good.So,I don't know.What I really liked about this game(Ultimate Tenkaichi)is that they mixed 2D with 3D,but in a different way than some would want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.