Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 11, 1990

Embark on an adventure with characters from different walks of life, all destined to unite with you, to save the world.

Wow - this remake surprised me! They did a good job!

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Picard

This is a must have for fans of old school RPGs.     
    I'm having a blast with it.

jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By jlrm01

And I have no money to buy it... *sniff*

In a few weeks I hope I'll be able to get it. ^_^

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Axersia

Did you know they removed the Party Talk function from the US/EU versions that was added to the Japanese version?

But yeah, I'm sure it's still a great game without it. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Endogene

So many great DS games releasxed in such a short period, raaaa my curiosity wins again, i'll try it  out

Robocop111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Robocop111

I love Dragon Quest, you know what other game should be remade? my game Robocop vs The Terminator, remember that game? it was a great, you should buy my game.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I want to buy it but the release schedule is packed with games I want to buy, so I probably can't do it right away. I have to make sure I have money for Christmas too.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By kush

Is it a good game for people (like me) who were never too into RPGs? I've been looking for something to play on my DS...

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Axersia
    Kush said:
    "Is it a good game for people (like me) who were never too into RPGs? I've been looking for something to play on my DS..."

If you don't like RPGs I don't see how this could change your mind...

DQ is some of the most old-school stuff out there. The only difference between DQII (1987) and DQVIII (2004) are the graphics (I picked DQII because it has multiple party members, while the first game only had 1).

DQIV also uses some unconventional means of story progression. The game is split into chapters, and every chapter focuses on a different character and makes you restart at level 1 for each of those characters. You don't get to control the main character until about 15 hours into the game, when all the stories intertwine.

But, y'know, if that sounds interesting, go ahead and try it out. Just know that FF is way more popular in the Western world for a reason (because you're all graphics whores), and an FF game might be more to your liking.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

Well I have never played a FF game for more than about 15 minutes...but I love the SMT series and loved BoF back in the day. I haven't been someone who has really never played RPG games, but I've never been one of those crazy RPG gamers either. I have seen myself getting into some old school games though...like Etrian Odyssey etc.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Axersia

Well, if you like BoF, SMT, and EO, then DQ should definitely be up your alley.

Supposedly DQIV was considered the best game in the series in the US back in the NES days, but Japan rates it quite low and prefers DQIII. Probably because of the introduction of the class system.

But you can't go wrong with DQIV (or any of the DQ games, for that matter) so try it out.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Hmmmm dont know what game your playing this game sux they didn't update it at all except for the 3d world the translation is bad i've seen so many spelling mistakes, and grammar mistakes and whats up with the consistant crap old boon speak or old english speak? it makes the characters nigh impossible to understand. a remake ususally fixes all the problems in the original this did not it actually made them worse.

As for that why is it that akira toriyama has no range as an artist? all his characters look exactly the same.

jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By jlrm01

Finally got the game today. Just got to chapter 2. Loving it so far. ^_^ Really like the idea of the separate chapters / leaders per chapter.

The encounter rate is on the high side, I think. Oh, well, maybe I'm not that used to random encounters anymore. The last game I played before this one is Etrian Odyssey II... and it had random encounters, too (but not as frequent, if memory serves). I'm on an old-school run, it seems. ^_^

momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By momentarylogic
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Hmmmm dont know what game your playing this game sux they didn't update it at all except for the 3d world the translation is bad i've seen so many spelling mistakes, and grammar mistakes and whats up with the consistant crap old boon speak or old english speak? it makes the characters nigh impossible to understand. a remake ususally fixes all the problems in the original this did not it actually made them worse.

As for that why is it that akira toriyama has no range as an artist? all his characters look exactly the same."
    Is it just me, or is my head filled with candy?

Anyhow, I love the fact that Square is pushing ports on the DS. It is painful waiting for Chrono, and I want them to push FFVII on the DS somehow. I don't care if they even kill off one screen to do it, emulator-style. Woot!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.